• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you ignore the person David Cage. What do you think of Qauntic dream games?

Robb

Gold Member
You sound like a 10 year old child who saw some memes about the chase scene and the press x to Jason shit on some youtube compilation and decided that's what the entire game must be like well hardy fucking har.

Heavy Rain also has very distinct game mechanics,especially for its time,how about the investigative aspect of the game not unlike something like point and click adventure games(or are those not games either?) or the consequences for the multiple choices that lead to different endings..Mind you this was a 2010 game,multiple endings werent all that common in the console gaming space back then.

Sure the voice acting for the most part is pretty awful and some scenes are downright hilarious but it had an identity and soul,it tried to tell a story.Not something i can say for 80% of the garbage "games" that get released these days.

And the formula was improved upon with each game until its final form with Detroit which is incredible.(And it rectified Heavy Rain's shortcomings by having amazing voice acting and an amazing chase scene to boot)
I don’t know man. It’s still a lot like that. I can remember press X to scream as well if that makes you feel better. I guess I just didn’t care much for it overall.

I think “tried” to tell a story is well put. It’s some of the stupidest drivel I’ve ever seen.
You literally play as the detective and he walks around by himself at home and says stuff like “hmm I’ve looked through all the evidence, how can I not figure out who did this?”, and then it is him? Come on.

Not that story in videogames tend to be good, but at least the gameplay usually makes up for it. In this case both the gameplay and story is just atrocious.

I will say I did not play it when it initially launched. I did get a couple of laughs from it though, and still do from time to time. So there’s that I guess.

Kakax11

Banned
Another Heavy Rain would be amazing, Detroit was good but too slow and man the action is so mind numbing boring

supernova8

Banned
I'd say the original Life is Strange did "it" (ie interactive story with variable outcomes) better than Quantic Dreams' games, but then QD did it before them so it's hard to tell who deserves more credit.

I've only played Heavy Rain. I played through it with a friend, which definitely aided my enjoyment of it.

It's one of those games you should either play with a friend, or watch a let's play of.

Drew1440

Heavy Rain - Amazing, it sold me on a PS3.
Detroit Become Human - Good but got tedious to play in certain sections
Indigo Prophecy - Pretty good for its time, but I wish they expanded on the story a bit more.
The Ellen Page one - Meh, didn't really like the story in this one. Graphics were good and was a showcase of what the PS3 could really do.

Last edited:
Love them, despite all suboptimal moments.
Fahrenheit was a cool new deviation for the adventure genre when it came out and became its own thing. Less game but pushing the I am in a Hollywood movie feeling. Pity it did not get much attention, which Telltales Jurassic Park didn't get either and it needed Walking Dead to bring those game type finally into the spotlight.
Heavy Rain tried a bit too hard to be more gamey but with awkward controls and while Fahrenheit was batshit insane with its end, HR's end felt even more forced and not super satisfactory.
Beyond was their most linear game, obfuscated by the non linear timeline, where choices did not matter much (I think at least... with just one character there can't be a premature end because the entire game would end)
Detroid was by far their best so far and the only one I played several times, while still not getting every possible situation, as I have seen in youtube videos. Choice actually mattered a lot. While failing is kinda hard, it leads a bit much to a happy end. On first playtrough I did only kill some characters because I kinda thought some sacrifices have to be made at some point, so I missed out on a perfect ending. But chosing some paths and early miserable ends for some story threads was just awesome. The Writing while cheesy at some points - the singing scene is just ultraweird-improved a lot too, with character interactions being more human and natural, in a game about androids.

20cent

Banned
In a world where grown men play Pokemon, still enjoy Marvel licensed games post 2020 and consider Last of Us to be the Citizen Kane of videogames, I'd proudly say that I've enjoyed most of their games and will probably pay for the next one (unless it is a game in Star Wars universe, what?)

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Detroit was their best game imo, but they don't offer much in general. Personally I don't care for their games and the limited gameplay they offer.

RaduN

Pretty dumb in terms of stories, and completely lacking self awareness (they don't know they are dumb and work with that, they thing they are great).
But i have fond memories, especially regarding Heavy Rain. Playing it with my sis, getting different endings, were great times. I think this one has at least one immense plot hole though, if i remember correctly.

The set-up is generally good in these games, but they always fail to deliver, sadly.

My favourite was Beyond two Souls, as i think that one delivered a better conclusion than the rest, with Indigo and Detroit being really crappy overall

I'd say the original Life is Strange did "it" (ie interactive story with variable outcomes) better than Quantic Dreams' games, but then QD did it before them so it's hard to tell who deserves more credit.
I think Detroit has better production values.

The amount of different choices and endings is STAGGERING and it's why we don't see more of these games. Linearity is cheap. It's one of those games were your typical player will not even see half the content. Which seems almost wasteful.

Robb

Gold Member
Opinion discarded.
i-will-be-better-better.gif

DaGwaphics

I've got to restart Detroit at some point. You have to be in the right mood to enjoy these movie-game hybrids, otherwise they will feel boring and you won't appreciate the story as much. Every 3 or 4 months I can maybe stick one in there.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I only played Heavy Rain and I always thought it was/is a great game. A little boring on subsequent playthroughs and some of it is hilariously goofy, "Jason....JAAASOOOOON!" but I certainly respect what they've done in gaming.

I don't mind Cage either. Yea he's pretty self-serious but he's a creator and those types are all eccentric in their own unique ways.

Got nothing but respect for Cage and QD, even though I don't really play the games 😅

fart town usa

Gold Member
Production values are always great, and some genuinely unique/creative ideas can be found here and there, but none of their games come close to something like Until Dawn for example. When it comes to making a movie-like game that works perfectly well (Arguably).
Good point. Maybe it's cause I'm a massive horror fan but Until Dawn is so damn good. Best interactive horror movie of all-time as far as I'm concerned.

SteadyEvo

I LOVE Quantic Dreams! And if not for David Cage I wouldn’t have some of the best games of all time.

Heavy Rain? Masterpiece
Beyond Two Souls? Decent
Detroit? Masterpiece

I’ll buy whatever they make sight unseen. All their games get multiple play throughs from me.

I enjoyed them for the most part. Whilst Heavy Rain hasn't aged super well, I thought at the time that it was a unique experience. The story was emotional with some good plot twists and I really enjoyed the music in it.

Detroit: Become Human was absolutely fantastic.

Fahrenheit is quite underrated too. Even though the graphics are pretty weird, it has such a trippy and weird storyline. I liked it.

YuLY

Why would I ignore David Cage? Am I on Era and I didnt realise or what?? Dude has been making good games (within their genre) for more than 2 decades, I digged Omikron even back then with its weird theme/style and gameplay.

xrnzaaas

Great visuals, recognizable actors, awful actual gameplay with cringy moments. I always struggled to do even a single playthrough. And it's not like I hate the genre, because I've finished games like Until Dawn and had tons of fun.

A.Romero

I like them a lot. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea and I wouldn't be able to play more than 1 per year but it's the kind of variety we need in the industry.

I wish they had better writers. The concepts are great but sometimes they fall flat on execution.

Also press X to Jason.

heavy rain was peak quantic dreams, & even i, who liked it, couldn't bring myself to finish it the last time i attempted a replay. supermassive has quickly & easily already left them in the dust...

i think they should've stuck with the crime/mystery genre, & that they should've also focused on telling interesting stories rather than 'meaningful' ones...

WoJ

I've only played Heavy Rain. I liked it enough. Biggest problem for me with that game is that once the story plays out, a lot of the stuff leading up to the climax made no sense.

Humdinger

I enjoyed Indigo Prophecy, way back when. I tried to play it recently but found it atrocious. I guess my standards for control and combat were different back then. I still found the story captivating, but the rest of it had not aged well, at least for me.

I thought Heavy Rain was pretty good, but I didn't think it was the masterpiece other people saw it as, at the time. I appreciated the way Cage delved into some dark waters. I liked the gloomy quality of the game. I never replayed it, though. I think I tried to replay it once, but I didn't get far.

I thought Beyond: Two Souls was terrible. I didn't enjoy it, despite the "star power." I thought it was pretentious. I didn't care about any of the characters. The "action" was too far between long segments of nothing much. I was interested in the premise but found the actual game to be uninteresting.

Detroit was pretty good. Some of the story was so on-the-nose that you had to cringe, but I thought it came together pretty well. Some of the characters were likeable or sympathetic, and the overall plot was pretty good.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I tried but honestly they were very boring with vey uncanny character models.

I personally prefer Japanese point & click adventure games like Ace Attorney, Zero Escape, AI: The Somnium Files and 13 Sentinels.

Macaron

Banned
Awesome games. No other studio even comes close in the genre. Detroit and Heavy Rain the standouts.

EDIT ok I take that back The Quarry and Until Dawn are just as good. Hopefully Supermassive can find some consistency when it takes Cage years and the next title is some Star Wars universe thing which doesn't interest me.

Last edited:

Sorcerer

Omikron was pretty great. Wished Quantic had continued in this direction. I remember reading a little blurb about what Omikron 2 would have been. Sadly, that never came to pass, but I think it might have been way too ambitious for its time as described.

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I don't really take them seriously. They're interesting because they're an oddity, and they're not really an oddity for a good reason. They stand out because they lack interactivity, and the interactivity which is there has minimal impact on the story—although I haven't played Detroit, so maybe I'll find out decisions matter more in that game.
Gameplay aside, I've found the writing in their games to be very weak. They'd flop as movies, but games fare well with merely passable stories.

Certinty

Heavy Rain is one of my favourite PS3 games.

Detroit is one of my favourite PS4 games.

Sure both have their flaws but overall I loved both.

yurinka

I haven’t played Monkey Island but Ace Attorney has very distinct gameplay mechanics. I’m not even sure you can call yourself a videogame designer if you’ve made something like that chase scene or press X to Jason.
As someone who worked as game designer in some games, and as developer in many other games, I think they were very good and creative game design decisions.

I assume that you prefer the 2230940972907324th copy paste with 0 creativity case of the next shooter, open world, sports game or platformer, but that is understandable. People often dislike different and new things and typically prefer to get refurbished stuff of the same they already have, know and like.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
I assume that you prefer the 2230940972907324th copy paste with 0 creativity case of the next shooter, open world, sports game or platformer, but that is understandable. People often dislike different and new things and typically prefer to get refurbished stuff of the same they already have, know and like.
I probably would, yes. I don’t think I’d rate Heavy Rain higher than a 5/10 myself, mainly on the basis that it’s functional. Although it has been years since I played it. But when the most memorable things in the game for me is a bad story and press X to Jason/awful qte sections I don’t think there’s much left to say.

I don’t have an issue with new stuff though. Half-Life: Alyx is different and new and I have no problem with that. Super cool ideas, very good gameplay. And I don’t even like VR.

Last edited:
Top Bottom