• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you ignore the person David Cage. What do you think of Qauntic dream games?

Spyxos

Gold Member
Somehow I keep returning to Quntic Dream games. Just played through Detroit become Human again. The same thing happens every now and then with Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain. They're not 10/10 games, but there's something about them that other games of this type don't offer that keeps me coming back. Unfortunately, I have never played Nomad Soul. What do you think of them?

bzbFEyekkbOzChcaWQXk2koL.png
Fahrenheit_pc_boxart.jpg
W83G1nGF7wGs2J7Cq3LhpwwI.png

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Only one I played was Beyond. Thought it was fine. Phenomenal visuals, always. Story was never that great, but it's enjoyable enough.

I think I might own Detroit? Not sure. Need to play it still.

I tried Heavy Rain and bailed pretty quickly.

Nihilum

Honestly I find them quite tedious to play. They're always a graphical tour de force, but I kinda lose the will to play after about an hour of press F to Jason.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Fahrenheit is great because it's batshit crazy.
Heavy rain is ok.

Detroit is trash, beyond two souls is trash

Zheph

Only played Detroit and I didn't enjoyed my time with it (my gf did tho..)

Don't know what to think about SW Eclipse

Forsete

Gold Member
I liked the mood in Heavy Rain, pretty OK game.
Didn't really care for Beyond and never finished it.
I thought Detroit was good game, and again I liked the setting. Playing as the cyborg cop doing the crime scenes were my favourite parts of the game.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Hit and miss for me.

Fahrenheit - good
Heavy Rain - meh
Beyond Two Souls (chronologic) - good
Detroit: Become Human - meh

Itchy Tickles

Neo Member
I personally like these games. They do have some issues, but overall I like them.

Some of them can start too slow or have an ending stretch that is just so bizarre / random that it makes no sense, but I still liked them.

I remember first playing the demo of Fahrenheit (were it's set in a small film studio and teaches you how to play) and was super impressed (PS2 era) This game also introduced me to the band Theory of a Deadman, via the guitar mini game that can help your mood, unless you suck then it makes it worse.

I actually have no love for Star Wars, but I will wait and see how it shapes up.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Heavy Rain was good, Beyond was nice looking but a mess, and Detroit I thought was genuinely really good all round. Visually it was extremely good for its generation and while the story was derivative, I thought it was engaging on the whole with some great sequences that showed real growth in how to do QD's particular style of interactive movie storytelling.

Not to say its everyone's cup of tea, but Detroit is probably the best game of its type all things considered. It definitely shades out the other obvious contender in Until Dawn in terms of it making intelligent use of the format for interactivity. Supermassive's game is the better written of the two for sure, but its also a whole lot less ambitious and smaller in scale.

I loved them for their ambition and vision but they failed a in terms of overall package and practically always fell short by the end.

Ultra Donny

I have only played Fahrenheit and Heavy rain. Both games had their moments that I liked and so e good atmosphere but they also had so ridiculous stuff in them that doesn't work for me. Fahrenheit sex scen im looking at you.

ShadowNate

I really liked Detroit: Become Human. It looks awesome, has multiple paths to explore and aside the heavy / sloppy handed messages it overall works and has memorable characters.

Heavy Rain had some nice highlights too, even though the story and characters were quite bad(ly written).

I hate the QTEs though. But I think they've been improving upon that somewhat too. They seem to not be as bad as in Fahrenheit and Heavry Rain.

Fahrenheit has a strong start but then it throws every movie into the mix and eventually runs out of money, logic and sense. I hated its QTEs and the sneak sections, but I appreciated what they tried to do with the gestures interface (even though it also sucked, especially with a mouse).

I never played Beyond Two Souls.

Nomad Soul is another great one too. I think this is because it's the first attempt at doing something very ambitious and cross-genre and they poured much soul into it. Well, maybe not into the awful FPS sections, lol. It also runs out of money and steam by the third Act, but before that it's quite fun to explore and figure out its puzzles (and alternative solutions).

Regrettably (?) I am not even remotely interested in Star Wars anything, and probably won't be touching their upcoming title.

Stuart360

Very, VERY pretentious, although i did enjoy the first half of Detroit. I didnt like Heavy rain, even though its probably their most famous game,. And i never finished Two Souls, but i did think it was 'ok'.

Personally i think Telltales do these kind of games way better.

Aenima

I enjoyd them, im a fan of branching narrative games for the replay value they offer and heavy consequences of the player choices. Beyond 2 souls was the worse for lack of better narrative branching and lack of meaninfull consequences for our actions. Detroit was the best. Had alot of fun when i did a run where i tried to kill all androids with Connor. The character acted like the terminator.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I've only tried Beyond Two Souls because I missed out on heavy Rain and I thought the demo for Heavy Rain was absolutely mind blowing.

I found myself not liking the simulator genre in general and I will probably never play another one again.

I like games that challenge my reflexes and thinking on the fly. TellTale type games just don't scratch that itch. Even Baldur's Gate 3 is starting to wane on me a bit. I think it's just because I feel like the systems in Divinity Original Sin 2 made for better turn based gameplay. Like I'm barely using surfaces at all in BG3. The power creep is annoyingly slow and I haven't found any weapons that I thought made a tangible difference.

Sorry getting off topic. Quantic Dream has their audience. Games are just not for me it seems.

Production values are always great, and some genuinely unique/creative ideas can be found here and there, but none of their games come close to something like Until Dawn for example. When it comes to making a movie-like game that works perfectly well (Arguably).

Top Bottom