• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think Microsoft will take a page from Sony's Book.

SNG32

Do you think Microsoft will take a page from Sony's book and scale back on releasing Xbox Exclusives the same day as PC?

ManaByte

Gold Member
Wkwkwkw Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

CeeJay

You should class PC Xbox and console Xbox as the same thing, it's all Xbox. Releasing on Steam is something different and similar to Sony in that we are seeing select titles long after release.

Last edited:

Zones

Funny that those who think Bethesda’s future games should particularly not release on PlayStation are most likely the same people who think the industry (and specifically Microsoft’s goal) is no longer about selling consoles.

Last edited:
They need to be consistent with their policy and ensure all MS published games hit both Xbox and PC day and date. The Xbox should not be the ONLY platform with no exclusive software. Timed PC exclusives where Xbox gets the game a year later or true PC exclusives that don't get Xbox releases at all are against their own stated policy.

Steam isn't "Microsoft"
I thought he said Windows not Steam. Unless you are saying Windows isn't MS.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
They need to be consistent with their policy and ensure all MS published games hit both Xbox and PC day and date. The Xbox should not be the ONLY platform with no exclusive software. Timed PC exclusives where Xbox gets the game a year later or true PC exclusives that don't get Xbox releases at all are against their own stated policy.

I thought he said Windows not Steam. Unless you are saying Windows isn't MS.
He's implying that microsoft games are "windows/microsoft" exclusives. This isn't true because Steam is windows/microsoft.

Funny that those who think Bethesda’s future games should particularly not release on PlayStation are most likely the same people who think the industry (and specifically Microsoft’s goal) is no longer about selling consoles.

I’m sure that MS would be happy to do that if Sony had Game Pass on its consoles.

Lokaum D+

let me see, sell to a small base and earn some money or sell for a larger base and profit loads of money , this is a hard question ...

Freeway

Neo Member
I doubt it, maybe there will be rare exceptions for some games but the majority of new releases will be day 1 on PC and Xbox.
the funny thing is that actually the complete opposite is happening with Xbox ports coming several months after a PC release, for example Gears Tactics and Flight Simulator

Woopah

As has been said, Sony and Microsoft have different strategies when it comes to PC releases, so no.

Hell I think MS should create a walled-off aspect of the Series X/S that would run straight-up Windows 10. Imagine how many Xboxs they would sell to parents buying computers for their college age kids if they could run a desktop with basic Microsoft Office bundled into a GPU sub.

I would bet you these kids would want an Xbox over a cheap laptop if they could do their homework on it.

NullZ3r0

Banned
LOL No. PC is just another MS platform. They don't lose any money. MS realizes that PC gamers and console gamers are different markets. Sony wants PC gamers to buy a PS5 or else they have to wait a year or two for sloppy seconds.

THEAP99

Banned
LOL No. PC is just another MS platform. They don't lose any money. MS realizes that PC gamers and console gamers are different markets. Sony wants PC gamers to buy a PS5 or else they have to wait a year or two for sloppy seconds.
Dude microsoft doesn't own "PC" that's literally false. Microsoft makes no money from Days Gone being sold on steam

OrtizTwelve

Do you think Microsoft will take a page from Sony's book and scale back on releasing Xbox Exclusives the same day as PC?
No.

XBOX now is a platform, like Netflix, Steam, or Spotify. They want their games on every device possible. They can do this because they have the technology, money, and infrastructure.

Microsoft has made this very clear and it's part of their strategy moving forward into the next decade. XBOX exclusives will launch on XBOX consoles, PCs, Game Pass, and available to stream on their "XCLOUD" service to supported devices day 1 (mobile phones, tablets, smart TVs, etc).

I suspect that XBOX over time within the next decade will overtake PlayStation and Nintendo as one of the most valuable brands in gaming. Microsoft is a company valued at over a trillion dollars. That kind of power can accomplish a lot of tasks once deemed unlikely.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
Dude microsoft doesn't own "PC" that's literally false. Microsoft makes no money from Days Gone being sold on steam
last time I checked windows is owned by microsoft and meanwhile they don't "own" (not for the reasons you think. but simply because it was their successful policy.) the ecosystem there's no one that can push their own things as Microsoft can. Literally they have hands in EVERYthING that run on windows from the API's the tools they are literally picking them the improvements you will see in the coming period on the Windows platform such as directstorage and last but not least you will find only pre-approved (by Ms) apps pre-installed in all windows10 ...and right now you can find the XBOX app
Microsoft don't "own" pc because we can install whatever we want on a PC ... including Linux....but to say that Windows Pc is not a Microsoft platform is at least naive.
People probably believe that Windows is open source like android or linux?obviously they are wrong

Last edited:

howitis3

MS supports PC. because PC is more important to them than xbox. MS needs PC gaming to be big. its not about making as much money as possible on a game. its about supporting pc and xbox

theHFIC

Microsoft is doing it out of necessity - they haven't been dominant in the gaming market since the mid 2010's so any game sold from within their studios is a win for them. Plus since they own the ecosystems on both all the money goes to the same place.

Sony is doing it as altruistic gift for PC gamers who just don't want to own a console but want to play some of the best single player titles released in recent years. Plus they can get some extra revenue this way too by selling at that 40 - 50 dollar price point that older games should go for.

Last edited:

theHFIC

What? Microsoft doesn't own PC gaming. They sell games on Steam (or PS5 or Switch), they get the same deal as any other third-party studio.
i meant it more in the sense that they own the OS the games are being played on with both and the ecosystem with Windows Store and whatever is used for GamePass games on PC. But yes they sell on multiple markets too but it is more brand exposure in the end with all the money going to those studios that they paid a lot of money for. ROI.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
That thread title bait 😂🪤

I thought you were going to ask if they were going to start making better games.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Sea of Thieves is #14 on the Steam top sellers list, Halo is in the top 50. Horizon isn't. They must be doing something right.
Ok, I wasn't trying to hurt your feelings. Comparing the sales of a mediocre single player rpg with a notoriously shitty pc port to one of the most popular multiplayer franchises of all time is kinda apples and oranges though, but sure 👍

MonarchJT

Banned
What? Microsoft doesn't own PC gaming. They sell games on Steam (or PS5 or Switch), they get the same deal as any other third-party studio.
wtf mean pc gaming ? there isn't any pc gaming. microsoft own windows that is the operating system where games was running even before steam was existing and WHEN and IF steam will be supplanted by its likely successor Windows will still be there.. period. (how much is steam value today? 4 /6 billions? bethesda been payed for 7.5b) Windows exists today as main launch portal for Microsoft products from Office to visual studio from Skype to Azure. Microsoft as company wasn't interested deeply in gaming until Phil Spencer and Nadella all the gaming division was seen as a small subsidiary that served to maintain a possible link with the "living room" in the houses of families. Today we have seen multi-billion dollar acquisitions and reinvigorated their interest in gaming on THEIR Windows OS. This is simply due to the fact that they see possible higher revenues in services such as gamepass.

Last edited:
Top Bottom