• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think Microsoft will take a page from Sony's Book.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Wait? What made Horizon suddenly "mediocre"? Was it when they ported it to PC that it suddenly lost any hype factor?
Just a personal opinion. Has nothing to do with the platform. I can see where you're going tho.

Here are some other personal opinions, so feel free to put me in a box that makes sense for you.
I feel Witcher 3 is supremely overrated. Bloodborne was my GotG. I love the elder scroll series, but didn't like skyrim. Most anticipated games at the moment are breath of the wild 2, god of War, back4blood and gran turismo

I hope bloodborne comes out on pc so it can finally have a decent frame-rate. Would buy it for the third time if it happened.

EDMIX

Do you think Microsoft will take a page from Sony's book and scale back on releasing Xbox Exclusives the same day as PC?

Nope.

They have no reason to. MS owns Windows, Sony doesn't...

Sony puts out many consoles that break records, MS doesn't.

They both have reasons for why they are doing what they are doing, the way they are doing it.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Naw.

I think MS sees the writing on the wall for them. Maybe they will do it for some releases. But I doubt that too.

wtf mean pc gaming ? there isn't any pc gaming. microsoft own windows that is the operating system where games was running even before steam was existing and WHEN and IF steam will be supplanted by its likely successor Windows will still be there.. period. (how much is steam value today? 4 /6 billions? bethesda been payed for 7.5b) Windows exists today as main launch portal for Microsoft products from Office to visual studio from Skype to Azure. Microsoft as company wasn't interested deeply in gaming until Phil Spencer and Nadella all the gaming division was seen as a small subsidiary that served to maintain a possible link with the "living room" in the houses of families. Today we have seen multi-billion dollar acquisitions and reinvigorated their interest in gaming on THEIR Windows OS. This is simply due to the fact that they see possible higher revenues in services such as gamepass.

Dude. If a game sells on Steam that MS owns they get 70%. If its third-party, they get 0%. Same as PS5 and Switch.

If it sells on Xbox, they get 100% and 30%, respectively.

Microsoft owns the PC ecosystem for games sold as much as they own Nintendo.

MrS

Banned
Based on that SOP shitshow it seems like Sony took a page from Microsoft's book. Woeful event.

MonarchJT

Banned
Dude. If a game sells on Steam that MS owns they get 70%. If its third-party, they get 0%. Same as PS5 and Switch.

If it sells on Xbox, they get 100% and 30%, respectively.

Microsoft owns the PC ecosystem for games sold as much as they own Nintendo.
Dude It means nothing .. even if autodesk sells a copy of 3d studio Microsoft doesn't earns money but still the fact that widnwos 10 is the most important platform for Autodesk's existence speaks volumes. The presence of Autodesk as Steam raises the value of the Windows platform which is owned by Microsoft not by Sony or Nintendo. And as I have already said if Microsoft will be interested in gaming it can invest more and it is the only one that can integrate its app / services / store (successful or not) directly into its platform and as you see there's the xbox app installed on every windows10 not psnow or steam or egs

Last edited:

RGB'D

Based on that SOP shitshow it seems like Sony took a page from Microsoft's book. Woeful event.
Lol. I was going to say I hope Microsoft doesn't take a page from Sony with their next conference after the woeful state of play.

It might be time to play the crap out of anything I need on PS5 then pack it up and see if I can still turn a profit and sell it until there is more out there to justify it. Honestly might depend on Returnal's reception. I wanted a disc PS5 anyways...

Reactions: MrS

Braag

Pretty sure MS wants their games to be accessible to everyone and they want Xcloud to be on literally everything. That's the route they are going and we will see if this new approach works better than "buy our box cause we have this and that game".

Vasto

Microsoft owns Windows ( PC ) so of course they are going to support the platform and make it stronger by putting their games on it.

yurinka

Do you think Microsoft will take a page from Sony's book and scale back on releasing Xbox Exclusives the same day as PC?
No, because unlike Sony they are moving away their focus from consoles. They want to grow Game Pass specially on PC and mobile.

I shall fucking hope they don't judging by this last State Of Play.

They have an opportunity here for their next online event.
Nintendo had the Direct and tomorrow the Pokemon show, Sony had State of Play. MS had a new Death Stranding figurine at Phil Spencer's home show during a non gaming related stream.

Last edited:
I think MS will use their newly purchased assets in a way that will make them the most money. Since they would make money off any Skyrim or Fallout or DOOM purchased by someone for PS5 or Switch, there is no reason for them not to pursue that market. They don't just make money when they sell an Xbox copy, this is something a lot of people are overlooking.

These are franchises famous for selling across all platforms in multiple releases and re-releases, making millions and millions of dollars. I fail to see why MS would stop that money train in order to be exclusive. They can simply flood the market with IP they own and reap the rewards. Even if someone buys Skyrim 2 for PS5.

This is why Playstation is expanding to PC with some of it's releases; if you go cross-platform, you can sell more games. It's smart business sense. Expand your market.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Why the fuck would they? They have a store on PC. They get 100% of the revenue apart from transactions and overhead. They can sell on other stores but still they want to get you to get Gamepass. The have the first dibs at the "I have a fucking awesome PC but want to play a few console games" crowd. Why would they want us to buy their loss leading hardware instead of just buying their games / services for our PCs?

Sony should do the same. A PS store for PS exclusives. Horizon showed them it is profitable even with older games. They reached a new market and sold a lot but their experiment was run on someone else's store. They have to pay out a cut. The PS Store on PC would be a significant improvement for them in overall profitability. Do it Sony! Do it and I will donate my PS5 to a needy relative or significant other of a relative.

Last edited:
Top Bottom