• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Strange |OT| By the Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was okay.

Barebones storytelling and characterization. Too much telling and not enough showing. Almost all exposition is camera-reverse camera with talking heads. Villain is weaksauce with no real motivation. Action-scenes have barely any stakes because the movie never sets up its rules. Action-scenes aren't very interesting because you're not emotionally involved. Action-scenes appeared when the audience wanted them to, rather than when the script had built towards them. Strange is fun but he's barely a part of the narrative thrust as a whole. On top of that, barely any narrative thrust. Comedy undermines too many scenes that are trying to be intense or emotional. Strange's arc doesn't feel natural, it just happens.

Overall, I was bored a lot and not very engaged. Visually it's great. Cumberbatch is good. The first act before he starts practicing magic is pretty damn good as it feels cohesive and focused with a narrative thrust; Strange trying desperately to get his hands back. Music was really good.

I saw the movie when it came out but never commented in this thread. Your post nails my thoughts about the film. Basically, I found it SUPREMELY average. As if I was just watching "The Heroes Journey" play out, beat by beat, with zero surprises or innovation. Though I disagree with the music being good, I found it on the same level as all Marvel film scores except maybe TWS, which is to say entirely forgettable.

Ambient80

Here's the steelbook for Doctor Strange:

QnsRY6L.jpg

Well, that will be purchased... *sighs, opens wallet*

loudbill

I feel like i wouldnt have enjoyed this movie as much if id never had a psychadelic experience in my life. The shit with the time loops and the 'being shot through space' would not have been nearly as interesting.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
A bit LTTP but just watched this for the first time today.

I thought it was a lot of fun, it was a very entertaining movie. Personally, I thought it was much better than Civil War, especially the directing, visual effects and the music.

On another note, the cinema it was playing in was smaller than the ones used for new releases, but it was full, glad to see that people are still coming out to watch this.

Well I saw it tonight and it was a visual blast. As I person seeking for remedy about health problems that I can't fix I found myself understanding the process he was going through. Maybe I need to find my enlightment at God only knows where.

Plus I need to get my SH Figurarts Doctor Strange as soon as possible.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
"Dormammu, I've come to bargain..."

So I missed this movie in the theater, I meant to see it but I just never got around to it with the holidays and all. So last night I bought it on blu ray and sat down to finally see it, and woah, I really, really liked this film. It was interesting, fun, funny at times, mind blowing, and I liked the characters, it was just a very enjoyable movie to me. I wouldn't say it's the best of the MCU but I think I'd say it might be the best origin movie of the MCU, possibly with the exception of Iron Man 1.

I'm gonna watch it again this weekend. Damn fun movie.

So I missed this movie in the theater, I meant to see it but I just never got around to it with the holidays and all. So last night I bought it on blu ray and sat down to finally see it, and woah, I really, really liked this film. It was interesting, fun, funny at times, mind blowing, and I liked the characters, it was just a very enjoyable movie to me. I wouldn't say it's the best of the MCU but I think I'd say it might be the best origin movie of the MCU, possibly with the exception of Iron Man 1.

I plan to watch it again too. It deserves that

I watched it again recently since I bought the blu-ray, and I personally think it's in my top five MCU films...the themes of time, death, and finding meaning in the time we spend on earth were surprisingly resonant with me, and I found myself appreciating the film more on a second viewing.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I got a question about Dr. Strange's hands. I'm unfamiliar with the character, and don't know anything about him in the comics.
Do his hands get fixed up eventually, or do they just remain in a kinda fucked up state forever? In the movie he went to have his hands healed, but by the end it didn't seem to matter. However, knowing that his hands were still injured and that the protagonist didn't fulfill the goal that the start of the movie sets up, left me feeling a little unsatisfied.

I got a question about Dr. Strange's hands. I'm unfamiliar with the character, and don't know anything about him in the comics.
Do his hands get fixed up eventually, or do they just remain in a kinda fucked up state forever? In the movie he went to have his hands healed, but by the end it didn't seem to matter. However, knowing that his hands were still injured and that the protagonist didn't fulfill the goal that the start of the movie sets up, left me feeling a little unsatisfied.

If I recall correctly, in the comics his hands stayed fucked up and he uses magic to help guide his fingers to do complicated spells.

He could have fixed his hands with magic in the same way as the paralysed guy, but when he took that magical LSD trip he basically gave all of that up.

I bought the blu-ray of this back on 2/28 but got sucked into Horizon Zero Dawn and Breath of the Wild and never watched it. Finally put it on last night and man, I really loved it. I've enjoyed all of the Marvel movies I've seen so far, but this one could be my new favorite. Strange is an interesting character who's played exceptionally well by Cumberbatch, the special effects are really well done, and Swinton/Mikkelsen are both awesome the entire time they're on screen (especially when on screen together).

I think the point of his trip is less about
healing his hands
and more about what that would allow him to do...
get his old life back.
The revelations he has throughout his training show him that he can still
save lives
, just in another way (Christine hints at this as well).

So basically, he did
"fulfill the goal that the start of the movie sets up" (getting back to saving lives)
, but he did it in a different way than he intended.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I bought the blu-ray of this back on 2/28 but got sucked into Horizon Zero Dawn and Breath of the Wild and never watched it. Finally put it on last night and man, I really loved it. I've enjoyed all of the Marvel movies I've seen so far, but this one could be my new favorite. Strange is an interesting character who's played exceptionally well by Cumberbatch, the special effects are really well done, and Swinton/Mikkelsen are both awesome the entire time they're on screen (especially when on screen together).

Late to the party myself and finally watched the Blu-Ray in 3D last night. Quite enjoyed it, moreso than I expected. Had no idea Mads was even in it, so was pleasantly surprised seeing him in the opening scene.

Cumberbatch did a great job and managed to keep even the hokey moments somewhat grounded. I was engaged throughout and the 3D looked phenomenal. Looking forward to his further inclusion in the MCU.

smurfx

get some go again
watched it yesterday and it might be my favorite marvel movie. guess i'm a bigger fan of magic than super powers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom