• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Strange |OT| By the Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anth0ny

Liked it, didn't love it. Probably about the same level as Thor 1 or Cap 1 for me. Good origin story, some cool moments, but nothing super special. Looking forward to seeing more Strange though, which is good.

The fight choreography was awesome and definitely stood out. Probably the best in the MCU, or right up there with Winter Soldier and Civil War. Trippy visuals were really unique too, but the 3D glasses were a fucking pain in the ass, so I'd love to watch this again in 2D.

After thinking about it a little, I think this is by far my favorite of these origin movies*. It could have been a little longer to flesh out some of the middle points, but it largely avoided the "hero gets his powers and becomes a hero, oh and I guess there's a bad guy" problem that a lot of these seem to have. Like it didn't seem to be blocked into a "origin" half and a "fight" half if that makes sense, it was a lot more cohesive. I got really into Doc Strange because of MvC3 back in the day though so I might be biased just because I'm more interested in him than say, Thor.

*Unless we're including Guardians, which is still my favorite MCU movie by a pretty significant margin.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Jaden should play Miles and has this scene.
ASpSzWJ.jpg

Jaden should stay clear of the MCU. He should be happy they let him see the movies.

Afrodium

Banned
I'm reading a lot that this film is great in 3D but can't tell if it's just PR to justify higher ticket prices. I saw Civil War in IMAX 3D and really regretted it. The action had tons of blur and it was generally distracting. Is it actually worth it this time?

I thought the movie was PRETTY good. The first hour was really strong and I thought the last hour falls apart and drags on. Casting was great, the visual effects were great for the most part, just wish the editing was tighter. Mid-tier Marvel Studios movie.

That was really good. Tied with Iron Man as my favorite MCU origin film. It doesn't quite reach the heights of WS, CW, and Iron Man 3, but it's up there. Inventive action and visuals, lean pacing, effortlessly introduces magic and such to the MCU, and Cumberbatch is Strange.

My main gripes were
that I wished we spent more time with Strange before the accident, Mads' villian worked in the context of the story but was weak and not very memorable overall, and Dormammu didn't feel threatening at all

Best:
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Iron Man 3
Captain America: Civil War

Great:
Iron Man
Doctor Strange
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Avengers
Captain America: The First Avenger

Okay:
Iron Man 2
Guardians of the Galaxy
Ant-Man
Incredible Hulk
Thor
Thor: The Dark World

S1kkZ

I'm reading a lot that this film is great in 3D but can't tell if it's just PR to justify higher ticket prices. I saw Civil War in IMAX 3D and really regretted it. The action had tons of blur and it was generally distracting. Is it actually worth it this time?

imo, its the only mcu film worth seeing in 3d.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
Its a really good movie. The powers and action scenes are wildly imaginative and fun. Its definitely an entirely new take on magic that is full of endless possibilities. Wong and The Ancient One are probably my favorite characters; the rest are all solid. The pacing of the movie seems to go a little quick at times. There isn't as much humor as a lot of other Marvel films, but most of what's there works. The villain did his job and showed how dark magic can corrupt. I'd probably put this film right outside my top 5 favorite MCU movies.

Curufinwe

Is the 3D worth it?

The projector for the 2D showing we went to last night had problems last and stopped after 30 minutes, so we got a refund and comp tickets. We could pay a few bucks extra to see the 3D version.

Liked it, didn't love it. Probably about the same level as Thor 1 or Cap 1 for me. Good origin story, some cool moments, but nothing super special. Looking forward to seeing more Strange though, which is good.

The fight choreography was awesome and definitely stood out. Probably the best in the MCU, or right up there with Winter Soldier and Civil War. Trippy visuals were really unique too, but the 3D glasses were a fucking pain in the ass, so I'd love to watch this again in 2D.

So that's one vote for no.

I haven't been keeping up with this thread, stupid busy at work. So anybody that's seen/going to see it in 3D?? I keep hearing a lot of the scenes were designed/enhanced for 3D IMAX viewing. Doing this for date night with my lady. Just curious if it's worth the experience, or is it all marketing garbo?! Thanks!!

Edit: 3D it is!!

Syriel

I haven't been keeping up with this thread, stupid busy at work. So anybody that's seen/going to see it in 3D?? I keep hearing a lot of the scenes were designed/enhanced for 3D IMAX viewing. Doing this for date night with my lady. Just curious if it's worth the experience, or is it all marketing garbo?! Thanks!!

If you're going 3D go IMAX.

I saw it on a standard 3D screen and it was a bit dark (Dolby 3D) which hampered the effect.

On IMAX tho it should be glorious.

My main gripes were
that I wished we spent more time with Strange before the accident, Mads' villian worked in the context of the story but was weak and not very memorable overall, and Dormammu didn't feel threatening at all

Agreed. It did feel like Strange could have used some more pre-magic time, and also some more breathing room during the magic training portion. Mordo could've used a bit more time, and definitely Mads as well.

Dormammu should have been setup better or just hinted at and saved for a later film. Ultimately though, maybe it's best for him to get fleshed out and given the spotlight in a post Thanos/Infinity War MCU.

Hydrargyrus

I've just came from the cinema right now and I'm trully satisfyed, I liked A LOT and the criticized ending (here) too. I wish the waiting for the second part won't be to long.

Btw, everytime I go to the cinema, the less I want to came back. Only about 30 people and maybe half of them, completely assholes. They came late, crossing in front of all spoiling the first scene and going to the bath continiously. WFT?, do you pay for that??

My list

Greatest:
Guardians of the Galaxy
Ant Man
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Dr Strange
Captain America: Civil War

Great:
Iron Man
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Avengers

Good:
Captain America: The First Avenger
Iron Man 2
Iron Man 3
Thor

Entertaining:
Incredible Hulk
Thor: The Dark World

Gonna go see this movie in 4 hours in IMAX 3D. It'll be the first movie I see in either IMAX or 3D, I'm pretty excited. I'm gonna see some crazy shit, right?

It was okay.

Barebones storytelling and characterization. Too much telling and not enough showing. Almost all exposition is camera-reverse camera with talking heads. Villain is weaksauce with no real motivation. Action-scenes have barely any stakes because the movie never sets up its rules. Action-scenes aren't very interesting because you're not emotionally involved. Action-scenes appeared when the audience wanted them to, rather than when the script had built towards them. Strange is fun but he's barely a part of the narrative thrust as a whole. On top of that, barely any narrative thrust. Comedy undermines too many scenes that are trying to be intense or emotional. Strange's arc doesn't feel natural, it just happens.

Overall, I was bored a lot and not very engaged. Visually it's great. Cumberbatch is good. The first act before he starts practicing magic is pretty damn good as it feels cohesive and focused with a narrative thrust; Strange trying desperately to get his hands back. Music was really good.

Posted more in the spoiler thread, but I just saw this and liked it. It's not in my top 3 Marvel movies but it's a good addition. I think they've set up magic in the MCU pretty well and there's a lot of potential for follow ups.

Saw this last night in IMAX 3D and even a day later, it still hasn't really sunk in that I actually saw a Doctor Strange movie but I have and it was great!

They did seem to breeze though the origin a bit, but BC easily sold Strange for me. Though I really loved Tilda as the Ancient One - she really seemed believable as someone who has been alive for centuries. Rest of the cast was solid though I do wish we spent a bit more time with them.

Finally seeing the magic and mysticism that I've been waiting to see since it was hinted at in Thor - it was worth waiting for. I just really can't wait to see more of it in future movies!

Anyways, I really want to rewatch this but man, that $20 ticket price for IMAX... 💸💸💸

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
LOVED IT!

Man that was such a fun watch, great pacing (editing could have been better at points). Liked all the characters and Strange is my favourite Marvel hero from now on. Rest of them can go jump off a cliff. Don't need them. Cumberbatch was fantastic. Really cool visuals (3D still sucks, damn you Cameron) and still a disappointing score. Didn't mind the villain actually, tho Mads deserves better. All in all, great experience and can't wait to see it again.

9/10

Wanderer5

Gotta wait till later next week now, but hey can get through some more Doctor Strange stories, and I really enjoying it.

It likely be 2D, cause my local theater doesn't seem to want to do 3D showings anymore, and I really tend to not dig 3D. Maybe 3D IMAX could do the trick, but I don't really make way to go to those theaters, so bleh. But hey $6 tickets for the day that a friend of mine happens to be available to see it.

Loved it. I was never once bored, and Cumberbatch was great. Such a visual feast. I think it was a better origin than Ironman 1, because there was no Obadiah shit last boss and the supporting actors shone.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Enjoyed it alot. A fun breezy movie with generally likable characters and a fantastic visual ride. Wish it gave its characters more room to breathe though. I loved the interactions between The Ancient One and Strange, but I wish Mordo had a bit more, particularly near the end.

7.5/10

shira

Really bad for me. Super hyped and it fell flat. Visuals are great, but the story is just so dumb.

5/10

I loved it but damn the hype saying it's a top 3 may be a bit much.

It's still fresh to me so maybe i think it's still growing on me

What an amazing movie tho. Sherlock and Tilda killed it

I loved this movie. If it were not for The Nice Guys, it would be my favorite movie so far this year.

Here is where it stands for me.

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
2. Guardians of the Galaxy
3. Doctor Strange
4. Captain America: Civil War
5. Antman

I am eagerly anticipating Spiderman: Homecoming and Thor: Ragnarok

I have a feeling based on nothing at all that Thor: Ragnarok may be the best of all MCU movies for me. Everything I hear about it is exactly the right decision.

I have a feeling based on nothing at all that Thor: Ragnarok may be the best of all MCU movies for me. Everything I hear about it is exactly the right decision.

-Awesome director
-Thor, Hulk, and
Doctor Strange
all in one movie
-Fucking Cate Blanchett and Karl Urban
-No Natalie Portman or Kat Dennings

It has a lot going for it

Kieli

The story beats were very familar. Nothing groundbreaking from that perspective. Arrogant, wealthy man gets beat down and gains new powers for good. Unremarkable villains hell-bent on destroying the world. Unspeakable eldritch evil that looks like a human, for some reason. Marvel quips that sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

But damn if the execution wasn't on point. The fight scenes and magic inscriptions were really creative. That acid trip at the beginning was "woah dude". Especially for a triple-AAA blockbuster movie; wasn't expecting to see something like that.

The story beats were very familar. Nothing groundbreaking from that perspective. Arrogant, wealthy man gets beat down and gains new powers for good. Unremarkable villains hell-bent on destroying the world. Unspeakable eldritch evil that looks like a human, for some reason. Marvel quips that sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

But damn if the execution wasn't on point. The fight scenes and magic inscriptions were really creative. That acid trip at the beginning was "woah dude". Especially for a triple-AAA blockbuster movie; wasn't expecting to see something like that.

To the bolded point, there was an interview somewhere with either Cumberbatch or Derrickson that said they had an idea to make it look like
a reflection of Strange, with even Cumberbatch voicing Dormammu.

Kieli

To the bolded point, there was an interview somewhere with either Cumberbatch or Derrickson that said they had an idea to make it look like
a reflection of Strange, with even Cumberbatch voicing Dormammu.

That makes a bit more sense. Kinda like Galactus in that what you see is how your mind perceives his incomprehensible form.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Count me as someone who'd place this in the top 3 MCU movies, behind only Winter Soldier and Civil War. I'd place it ahead of Guardians (which wasn't as good on a rewatch), Iron Man 1, and well ahead of Antman.

I wanted more of everything from Doctor Strange. More of all the characters (all of which were intriguing from the little scraps of time we got of each), more of the comparatively quiet scenes, more of the crazy dimensional stuff, more time for every major sequence in the movie (especially the pre-injury Doctor Strange and also his all-to-short training), and more of the clever action sequences. A lot of posters in this thread consider that a sign of weakness, and I can understand that, but to me, it's a sign of how successful the movie was at feeding me tasty bits and making me want more.

Pau

I really liked the visuals and magic stuff but didn't find the protagonist likable. Then again, the only thing I've ever really read with Strange is Marvel 1602

I just got out of IMAX 3D and I'm still in the honeymoon phase, but my initial thoughts are that Dr. Strange is a top 3 MCU film. Visually, the movie set new standards. Absolutely incredible.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Just saw it, was a complete visual treat, I feel like
mordo's decent onto madness is just a tad too flimsy as i think he should have understood she did what did for the greater good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom