• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Strange |OT| By the Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Girlfriend and I just got back from seeing this in IMAX 3D. We thought it was great. She was worried about the 3D because it usually always gives her headaches, but she didn't have any issues with this movie and is glad she saw it this way.

Toothless

Doctor Strange is the first time in the Marvel Cinematic Universe where Marvel may have gone too far into pulpy, bizarre, comic lore for the general audience. Yes, going further than a talking raccoon or a man who speaks to ants, Doctor Strange triumphs because not only does it adapt some really crazy stuff, it never loses your attention.

Cumberbatch is surprisingly an inspired choice as the Sorcerer Supreme. Yes, Cumberbatch seemed like an obvious choice when he was announced, but he plays the role way differently then his other blockbuster efforts, being both restrained and having shockingly good comic timing. Swinton, Ejiofor, and Wong are all great as well, although Mikkelsen and McAdams are both wasted in their underdeveloped roles. This is Strange's film in a very good way, giving us a developed, if somewhat familiar archetype.

The script covers all the basic grounds of origin movies. This would be a problem if the cast wasn't so entertaining, or, more importantly, if the visuals were just average. This is a true visual feast, the first innovative blockbuster in visual effects since Gravity. There are shots in it that look like a modern art painting brought to life, and the Cloak is a character in its own right. The action has a lot of variety to it; more than the typical Marvel movie, and it allows each individual sequence to be memorable without thinking of comparing them.

Derrickson ended up being an inspired pick for Doctor Strange. With a surprising amount of actually disgusting shots for a PG-13 tentpole, Doctor Strange definitely wears his signature, although toned down quite a bit. Giacchino's score is disappointing, giving a great main theme, but blending into the background otherwise like in a typical Marvel fashion. Doctor Strange is a marked improvement from Marvel's last origin effort, and introduces a character and his universes for audiences to actually be excited for in upcoming films. The rare Marvel film that actually is a marvel, a flawed one, but a marvel nonetheless.

The movie was so freaking good!

Definitely worth springing for 3D, especially for the
astral projection scenes
and the
reality warping escape/fight

NightOnyx

Just saw it and thought it was great. Yeah it's a generic origin story, but I still very much enjoyed it. Kind of like with Ant-man, everything else around it is really well done and fun, so I really dont care that it's another movie about a superhero getting his powers.

Like others have said, Mads is underused, but that's my only real complaint. Visuals are stunning and are the obvious stand out. I liked the humor, even though I know some didnt like it as much. I thought Cumberbatch was good as well, and I'm excited to see him interact with the Avengers.

I'm so glad I live in the dimension where Doctor Strange gets a massive budget movie that didn't tone down any of the pulpy nature that was good.

SeanTSC

That was fantastic, probably my favorite solo MCU film. My mom loved it too.

And that's in spite of me kinda having a terrible time. I had a bit of a panic attack about 30 minutes in (I think) and blacked out for a minute. Trying to not be spoilery, but basically there's a scene where something happens to someone's hands, and there's a bunch of things in it, and it's really graphic. And well, losing use of my hands and having them fucked up is a huge phobia of mine.

Took me about another 30 minutes after that to recover and even then I was still extremely nauseated until I got out of the theater and into the fresh air.

But yeah, even with that, I absolutely loved it.

Toothless

The movie was a ride, but I appreciate that it's sheltered from the wider MCU other than the name drop of the Avengers and Avengers Tower visible in New York. In some ways, it feels even more detached than Ant-Man.

Oh yeah, it's definitely more detached than Ant-Man. Which is a good thing because Ant-Man's attachments to the MCU is one of the worst aspects of it.

Nice review, Toothless! Always enjoy reading your thoughts :)

Thanks, man!

BTW, new Marvel tiers because every MCU thread needs them:

Excellent:

1. Guardians of the Galaxy
2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Great:

3. The Avengers
4. Captain America: The First Avenger
5. Iron Man
6. Captain America: Civil War

Very Good:

7. Doctor Strange

Entertaining but Flawed:

8. Iron Man 3
9. Avengers: Age of Ultron

Mediocre:

10. Thor
11. Iron Man 2
12. Ant-Man

Bad:

13. The Incredible Hulk

Thor 2:

14. Thor: The Dark World

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Just came back brehs
rejoice.png

Best MCU origin story so far.

Wanderer5

Aiming to see it on Sat, so looking forward to that. In the meantime I been looking through some Doctor Strange comics, having mostly seen him in major comic events and crossovers previously, and am enjoying The Oath a lot (Brian K. Vaughan rocks).

alba

Little is the new Big
Movie was great, loved the visuals, fight sequences and the comedy really hit it off as per usual now in all new Marvel movies. Cumberbatch does a really good job as Strange and I can't wait to see how he interacts with the Avengers now, that'll be cool.

I have a man crush on mah boi chiwetel Ejiofer

If Dr. Strance were a dnd character, I'd say he was a monk / sorceror multiclass. MAve a few levels of warlock too.

All the characters were enjoyable, I just wish Mads character was more fleshed out, but both he and McAdams actually did really well for what they had to work with.

Hopefully we get a better expanded sequel now that the heavy lifting is out of the way.

The sequel should absolutely open the same as the newest Doctor Strange comic series does, it's just too good of a sequence not to use, audiences would eat it up.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Just got back a little bit ago. Really was a fantastic origin story with some great casting. Actually a clever ending too, imo.

Skux

Film was great. Pretty standard fare in terms of genre storytelling but the performances and effects make it well worth the watch and one of the stronger MCU films.

glad to read all the positive impressions. Really couldn't believe the posters who went to this and didn't enjoy it. I was throughly entertained. And it looks incredible to boot.

Monocle

This movie is wonderful. Perfect cast. I was so pleased that Tilda's role turned out to be so meaty. She brought her characteristic depth and complexity to The Ancient One. I did not expect that disarming warmth, or the worldly wit, or the touch of wry humor. Such a charismatic actress.

Benedict Cumberbatch sold me completely. I was neutral about the prospect of him as Strange, but he totally owned the egotism and gravitas of the surgeon-turned-warlock. His delivery in that rant about materialism was spot on. And his overall arc covered a fair amount of ground. I believed the doctor he was at the beginning, and I believed the warlock he became by the end.

Based on early impressions, I was worried that Mads would be shortchanged as the villain. He is not some over-the-top badass or scene stealer, but I found him to be an effective foil for Strange. He had a number of great fight scenes and got a fair chance to articulate his motivations and even sway Strange toward his way of thinking. I'm glad he got a good amount of screentime in the.

The visuals in this movie are a brain-scrambling next level mindblast. All that reality warping where the environment becomes a dynamic kaleidoscope of shifting fractals... phenomenal. Just so well done. If you see one 3D movie this year, Dr. Strange has got to be it.

I'm going to watch this movie again ASAP. Initial impression: a top 5 Marvel film, easily.

Besides Doctor Strange 2, Guardians Vol. 2 probably has the best chance at rivaling Doctor Strange's visuals purely due to the potential of intergalactic visuals.
Yeah I wasn't a big fan of the first Guardians visuals (other than maybe Nowhere). Just too much CG sci-fi stuff that we've already seen in video games and movies.

Maybe Thor Ragnarok will have an interesting look and feel too. But I don't think either are surpassing this.

Overall, I give this movie a 9/10 (this score may chance as I give more time to mull over my thoughts on the movie, perhaps with a second viewing). The movie knew exactly what it set out to do & delivered in a great way. As for the ranking, my Top 5 now would be...
  1. Captain America: Civil War
  2. Guardians of the Galaxy
  3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  4. Doctor Strange
  5. The Avengers
Like my score, this may chance as I give myself more time to think about the film.

This is pretty much my top five as well! Though sometimes I swap Winter Soldier and Guardians depending on my mood.

glad to read all the positive impressions. Really couldn't believe the posters who went to this and didn't enjoy it. I was throughly entertained. And it looks incredible to boot.

Like I said, I was really surprised that I didn't like it. I was looking forward to it and didn't spoil myself, other than watching the trailers and reading the production thread very early on (first two pages or so).

But visuals aside, the movie felt incredibly bland to me. All style, no substance. I didn't like the characters, outside of Swinton and Ejiofor, the story felt rushed and the humor did nothing for me. Turning the cape into a cartoon was the worst, actually.

I can't even claim it's MCU fatigue, because this movie barely ties into the greater MCU (which isn't a knock against it at all!). But maybe it's superhero fatigue in general for me, that bores me to tears. I really like the MCU, but I wish they had more character-driven stories.

Anyway, I'm clearly one of the very few outliers.
But it's great to see that others enjoy the movie.

Zombine

Banned
Great movie that taps into the parts of the Marvel Universe I enjoy the most. I'm glad that the MCU has finally opened up. I do have a few issues in regards to pacing and almost all of Mordo's motivations (Who was, in my opinion, the weakest part of the film), but other than that it was great.

Dunlop

I didn't know there was a guardians 2 teaser trailer already. That was a nice surprise. How come I haven't seen a gaf thread about it?

The 3d was out of sync for that and the Rogue One trailer at the cinema I went to, thankfully they fixed it before the movie actually started.

Fantastic movie

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Jaden Smith ‏@officialjaden 6h6 hours ago
Just Watched Doctor Strange, Im Completely Blown Away, And I'm Going To Dedicate The Rest Of My Life To Those Practices. Thank You

El Topo

I can see where you're coming from. It's very bland and safe, outside of a handful of visuals (and even that gets used too often).
The guy becomes a master wizard within five minutes, there's no obstacles or setbacks on his journey after his accident. I don't count the one-minute "Believe in yourself" scene.

DeathyBoy

Banned
This movie is wonderful. Perfect cast. I was so pleased that Tilda's role turned out to be so meaty. She brought her characteristic depth and complexity to The Ancient One. I did not expect that disarming warmth, or the worldly wit, or the touch of wry humor. Such a charismatic actress.

Benedict Cumberbatch sold me completely. I was neutral about the prospect of him as Strange, but he totally owned the egotism and gravitas of the surgeon-turned-warlock. His delivery in that rant about materialism was spot on. And his overall arc covered a fair amount of ground. I believed the doctor he was at the beginning, and I believed the warlock he became by the end.

Based on early impressions, I was worried that Mads would be shortchanged as the villain. He is not some over-the-top badass or scene stealer, but I found him to be an effective foil for Strange. He had a number of great fight scenes and got a fair chance to articulate his motivations and even sway Strange toward his way of thinking. I'm glad he got a good amount of screentime in the.

The visuals in this movie are a brain-scrambling next level mindblast. All that reality warping where the environment becomes a dynamic kaleidoscope of shifting fractals... phenomenal. Just so well done. If you see one 3D movie this year, Dr. Strange has got to be it.

I'm going to watch this movie again ASAP. Initial impression: a top 5 Marvel film, easily.

Swinton is just the best. She's lapped any other MCU performance with ease.

I can see where you're coming from. It's very bland and safe, outside of a handful of visuals (and even that gets used too often).
The guy becomes a master wizard within five minutes, there's no obstacles or setbacks on his journey after his accident. I don't count the one-minute "Believe in yourself" scene.

I explained the problems I had with the movie in a previous post a bit better. But your post kinda sums it up for me.

Chorazin

So hyped to see this after work, even more so reading all these great impressions! Just gotta make it through the next 9 hours....

KHlover

Banned
This entertained me like Iron Man 1 did back then. Best origin story of the MCU so far. Here's to hope Dr. Strange 2 will be on the level of Winter Soldier rather than Iron Man 2 or Loki 2.

Also curious how his cameo in Thor 3 will look like

Seeing this at 11AM tomorrow in IMAX 3D. It's the earliest I've ever seen a movie in the theater and it's my first IMAX 3D movie....I'm so psyched.

iModem

Banned
I'm excited to see if they do some exciting visuals with the magic. I hope he doesn't just use the whip from the trailers. I wanna' see some TRIPPY SHIT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom