• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Legacy |OT| Android/iOS. F2P not P2W

dw-legacy-artwork.jpg

Get it Here
iOS https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/doctor-who-legacy/id737628981?mt=8
Android https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tinyrebel.doctorwholegacy&hl=en_GB

For the first time ever, interact with fifty years of Doctor Who as you travel through time and space, relive his most daring adventures, group with his bravest companions and face his most dangerous foes!

I've been playing this for the last few days and as a Doctor Who fan who has never really got into mobile gaming I'm blown away. It's filled with content. Loads of unlockable characters some with unlockable Alt costumes. A huge selection of baddies classic and new alike to fight.

Right now the game contains a season 6 and season 7 set of battles that cover the last 2 seasons of the show. Season 5 is in the works and more is promised after that including content from classics episodes and unreleased seasons

What is it?
Match-3 Turnbased Puzzle RPG

How much is it?
Free

Pay to win?
Not in the slightest

Energy/Credits/Playtime Limits?
Nope

In App Purchases?
Yes, IAP's exists. Players can buy Time Crystals which are the games form of currency. Playing without these entirely is not a grind fest and Time Crystals are rewarded in a steady supply from regular playing

Is anything locked behind IAP
Yes, The Fan Zone. Accessed by buying 5 or more time crystals in a single purchase (£2.99) the fan zone contains early access to content which serves as a teaser more than anything. Currently has one exclusive character available in the fan zone.

Why should I care about it?
Dedication to the source material, Continually Expanding, Addictive and Some amazing community relations and support from the dev team.

More detailed FAQ available Here

Doctor Who Legacy Advent Calendar
Right now and up until Christmas day the devs are running a advent calendar give away. Each day giving out a promo code containing a character.
Codes are entered under Options>Promo

Day 1 Madam Vastra (A Good Man Goes to War Outfit)
U97L-Y779-F4GP-4NJ5
Day 2 K-9 Mark 2
7339-AS8B-57KH-4U5C
]Day 3 Jenny (Maid Outfit)
WP24-936Q-JXZE-94J9
Day 4 Pink Heart Fragments
5TY9-2U24-87JN-99LF
Day 5 Impossible Planet Mission
N/A Mission under Special Tab)
Day 6 Ood
6Q6U-957N-6SLY-ZY46.

The developers Twitter and facebook pages are very active and they seem more than willing to answer any specific questions or problems you have about them game. It's also the location the advent codes are going to be posted.

Twitter

Facebook

I'm kinda over Marvel Puzzle Quest as I feel like I need to spend money in order to compete. This looks like a great alternative.

Can I play as #9? If not, no download

Not yet, 10 and 11 so far. Expect 9 to be added at some point. The rest of the Doctors are coming but for now they are focusing on the newest seasons and working backwards. They mentioned more doctors are coming this month.

MoogPaul

Not yet, 10 and 11 so far. Expect 9 to be added at some point. The rest of the Doctors are coming but for now they are focusing on the newest seasons and working backwards. They mentioned more doctors are coming this month.
Dont you mean 11 and 12 now?

aravuus

Might as well give it a try.

Love some of the reviews tho. "Was having a lot of fun for hours, then I lost my save. 1 star."

Expect him when the more classic who beings to roll out. The included party members from S6 and S7 cover pretty much everyone from Porridge to Rory's dad so someone as important as the Brig will make it in eventually.

I'm hoping they cheat and just put him in alongside S4 stuff as a SJA character. :V

The art in this is kind of hideous. Yuck. At least it blasts that glorious theme tune on the menu.

I'm hoping they cheat and just put him in alongside S4 stuff as a SJA character. :V

The art in this is kind of hideous. Yuck. At least it blasts that glorious theme tune on the menu.

We can hope, he could even be part of this Advent promo since we got K9

I actually like the Art. I could just be blind.

I'll definitely have to check this out. Hopefully they're quick with releasing the other seasons.

It released on the 27tth and Susan one of the devs said on TouchArcade that Season 5 is on its way. It won't be too long they seem to have a lot in the works for December anyway.

From the Facebook page.
Throughout the month we plan to release some very special allies (including the Ood!), more outfits, more enemies, more Doctors, new episodes, and more! All of course for free. Also, for those who have unlocked the Fan Area, we will be releasing 'fan versions' of two amazing allies.

I'd have preferred it if they went more with a Puzzle Quest-style game, with a proper map of various planets & times you could visit.

3rd Advent Promo Code came out a few hours ago.

Day 3

WP24-936Q-JXZE-94J9 (Maid Jenny)

Also some info on the direction the game is going in.

Season 6 and 7 drops rates have been doubled and "The Bells of St. John" mission have been nerfed because they turned out more difficult than intended.

Dev's are asking now on Twitter and Facebook which players want to see first. Levels Impossible Planet/Satan Pit OR Time of angels/Flesh and stone, Both are nearing completion and one will drop this week.

2 Doctors are being worked on for release in the next few weeks. The Safe bet is Eccleston and Hurt.

Season 5 is set for sometime 2014. January is most likely.

What's the trick to get the characters or time crystals to drop? I get loads of the other things to upgrade people, but I can never get any of the new characters to drop.

What's the trick to get the characters or time crystals to drop? I get loads of the other things to upgrade people, but I can never get any of the new characters to drop.

Just Rarer drops. Sadly some do take the piss abit. I've played certain ones 100+ times and still nothing.

Day 4 (Pink Heart Fragments)
5TY9-2U24-87JN-99LF

Also The Impossible Planet has been added to the special tab which has a 5 round long fight against Ood.

Dec 5th see's a "Fan Favorite" Ally coming

Quantum

I really like that I can play this at work on my touch (no wifi) and it doesn't have to phone home after every level.

If this continues to improve I will absolutely give money to support its development.

I'm just confused why they don't just charge "x" dollars for it.

it has to be the least paywall game I've played to date - or - the least paywall game that is a game designed to have IAP - or - an IAP game with no reason to use the IAP other than to support the people making an IAP game.

yeah, I'm confused.

in all seriousness I really like the fan service in the game so far. The problems I am having at this point (still in season 7, although trying to two star all of my characters before moving on) is that I don't get the feeling that the characters are all unique and needed in certain situations.

I get that there is a delay, a healer an orb changer and an attacker but I don't get the feeling yet that certain levels have to be approached in certain ways.

hopefully this changes in later episodes, but so far it really is just a brute force match to kill.

- the drawings are ok, I think they will grow on me.
- the matching orbs are kinda boring, I understand that they are characters that I've seen related to the galafrey alphabet but they don't read well on the touch. the colors are also somewhat muddled and similar. the orange(yellow?) and red(orange?) aren't really so different. (PAD uses yellow, red and pink and I never miss-match).
- when you match and attack the damage numbers are difficult to read (the font is too small, or perhaps the wrong color)

just small gripes - I hope this game continues to be supported - I really am enjoying it even if I really don't understand the IAP

Card Boy

Banned
Not Pay2Win has me interested, love Doctor Who. Fuck Puzzle Dragons and its variants and its P2W garbage.

edit: wow it actually has a story and some phoenix wright style dialogue between characters.

Code for an Ood.

It's December 6th and that makes it the 6th day of our Advent Calendar. Today we bring you a new companion to join your on your adventures. In keeping with the theme from yesterday, your gift today is none other than, an OOD!

Please enter this promo code to claim an Ood of your very own for your team: 6Q6U-957N-6SLY-ZY46.

Please share with your friends --- code expires in 7 days.

So since I last updated a LOT has been added to the game!

Firstly

All 25 days of Advent drops in a single code.
42M7-59EG-MV77-VRUW
1014244_226096667514571_366802255_n.jpg

Secondly 3 New Doctors are available with a 100% drop rate.

1461144_224901000967471_2069479980_n.jpg

Colin Baker, 6th Doctor. Season 7 Level "The Silent Paradox"

1515048_225315264259378_1427453307_n.jpg

Sylvester McCoy, 7th Doctor. Season 7 Level "Paradox of the Weeping Angels"

1536601_225642144226690_582279042_n.jpg

Paul McGann, 8th Doctor (Night of the Doctor Attire) Season 7 Level "Whispermen Paradox"

Various Tweaks, Balance Updates and such have been pushed out regularly over the past month. The Orbs currently have a nice Xmas Theme to them.

The Special area in the mission menu has a host of new content including "Villians of Christmas" mission with a wooden cyberman to tie in with the newest episode.

The Fan area for those who can enter it has a Ood Sigma Companion too.

Capaldi has been teased as a Doctor drop for later in 2014 (most likely when his episode airs)

Ironside Dalek and Jack Harkness are in the pipeline and could hit pretty soon.

Some of the more serious fans are putting together a incredibly detailed Wiki and posting in a "active" sub reddit linked below.

DWLegacy Reddit
DWLegacy Wiki

Edit: Forgot to mention this.

Cloud Saving is in the final phase of testing and will be cross device compatible.
A PC version of the game is expected to release soon.
Paul McGann will recieve a TV Movie costume fairly soon also.

Gonna try this soon. Not p2w sounds good to me.

Only 2/3 benefits come from paying anything.

Fan Area Access (which has some exclusive companions, you get access when you spend £3 or more on crystals)

Being able to roll for a random new drop (I think maybe a few characters are exclusive to the roll but you get time crystal drops as you play so you easily have enough to roll for them if you save the dropped crystals and grind out all the unlocks before rolling)

Being able to upgrade a character without time fragments (which is fairly pointless because the drop rate is high enough on those)

I've dropped about £30 or so on time crystals but I see it as a way to give back to the Dev's for providing me with more playtime (and fun) than some retail console games have.

You can finish the game and experience everything outside of the fan area (which is mostly rehashed levels and a few exclusive) for completely free.

Been playing since it was released. Fun game, best thing of all though are the studio working on it (they are great on facebok and will respond any questions you have), so I payed for the fan area because of that, not going to pay for anything more.
The art is a bit wonky but the fanservice is great.

Also fuck the drop chances of characters, Ive played like 80 times (not kidding) already to get clara and nothing, my cousin just got the game for his new tablet and got Clara at 10 plays on that stage. Thats my only (big) problem with the game. I know its free, but I think they need to implement something like after repeating a stage 50 times, the chances of the characters dropping begin to grow everytime you play.

Card Boy

Banned
Been playing since it was released. Fun game, best thing of all though are the studio working on it (they are great on facebok and will respond any questions you have), so I payed for the fan area because of that, not going to pay for anything more.
The art is a bit wonky but the fanservice is great.

Also fuck the drop chances of characters, Ive played like 80 times (not kidding) already to get clara and nothing, my cousin just got the game for his new tablet and got Clara at 10 plays on that stage. Thats my only (big) problem with the game. I know its free, but I think they need to implement something like after repeating a stage 50 times, the chances of the characters dropping begin to grow everytime you play.

Can't you buy Clara in that Female companion pack with the Time Crystals you earn? I got 10 of them and i'm still on the first Season (Season 7). The pack is like 20 crystals.

Can't you buy Clara in that Female companion pack with the Time Crystals you earn? I got 10 of them and i'm still on the first Season (Season 7). The pack is like 20 crystals.

I have all of those girls but Clara (and Amy), so that pack would be wasting crystals, that could be handy for other things (levelling up when is nearlty impossible, rolling for a character after a lot of time in the future, etc...). Also I do not have 20 crystals (18 I think right now), because, like the characters, is also a very low pecentage roll. My cousin has more than me and he has played way less time.

I unlocked the last few companions and costumes I needed a week or so back which was great but it's left me super eager for more content. I've slowly been grinding my teams levels till then. I have 8 time crystals waiting for me for S5 too.

hoggert

Thank you for making the thread, I would've completely missed this game otherwise. Great for slow days at work and I love the zero pay wall compared to P&D.

Savitar

It's quite the fun little game got to admit, though I do hate going back to the main screen when going back and forth leveling up characters/switching etc.

Seems like the game has been tweaked to drop the characters a bit more often.

I didn't get any for weeks, I've got 3 in the last couple of days.

Also, 2 free time crystals:

They are in game, right at the beginning, so this is an easy task to get for everyone Head back in the game to S7, Level 3------Asylum of the Daleks: Graveyard and Asylum of the Daleks: Corridor 5L. Both levels will give you a 100% guaranteed time crystal drop when completed.

Don't delay --- the reward is only for the next 72 hours, dropping only until Monday morning, 10 am UK time.

S7 Asylum of the Daleks: Graveyard
S7 Asylum of the Daleks: Corridor 5L

100% Drop (Totally 2 time crystals)

Players can find those 2 levels in S7 early.

Will remove on next Monday (1/6) 6:00pm at my time.

Celegus

Sounds vaguely interesting, cool that it's not a complete cashgrab. Though I have so many other games, I don't know if I really want to spend my gaming time on a match 3 thingy.

Goldrush

Big update to the game. Didn't touch it for months, but came back and I love the additions. However, performance is now shit on my Nexus 4.

Top Bottom