• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 8 |OT| We've fucking time-travelled, yes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like Im stealing Slowdive's job a bit (sorry man), but here are this week's promo pics, including weird Matt Smith guy and Garrus:

Couple more here

It looks like the Doctor is wearing the sweater from Listen again. I like it.

Have to agree. By any measurement that a tv show is usually rated by, the revival Doctor Who is a pretty poor show.

No consistent internal logic, solutions for problems are pulled out of nowhere, overall acting of day-players is weak.

Oh sure, every so often the right script meets the right director, DP and cast and something close to an actual episode of television happens but that's like once every two series.

You wouldn't give most shows the free passes that 'Who' gets on a minute to minute basis.

Loyal fan-base, though.

Ah, so I get to listen to this conversation again. You even pulled out the backhanded "loyal fanbase/fans" compliment.

D_prOdigy

Ha! Watching "The Fires of Pompeii", Capaldi's guest appearance 6 years prior to becoming Doctor.

So cool. So young too :(

edit: Ahhhh the whole "where have I seen that face?" makes sense now

It doesn't make sense to me because I was under the impression that they were gonna have some attempt at explaining a link with Caecilius/Frobisher rather than just alluding to it with a throwaway line. They made it sound like they had a neat idea for it, as though they were tying up a loose end.

*shakes fist at Moffat*

It is a kids show so I think those things slightly lower standard. It's very rarely fails at being a fun or slightly scary adventure show.

I don't accept that apologist argument. If adults watch it and enjoy it, it is being looked at from an adult perspective. I also resent the insinuation that kids show are less well produced. There are plenty of shows aimed at kids that aren't as terribly and lazily written as Doctor Who.

Real Hero

I don't accept that apologist argument. If adults watch it and enjoy it is being looked at from an adult perspective. I also resent the insinuation that kids show are less well produced. There are plenty of shows aimed at kids that aren't as terrible and lazily written as Doctor Who.
I've never held the show in high regard. It's an ok sometimes great kids adventure show.

It doesn't make sense to me because I was under the impression that they were gonna have some attempt at explaining a link with Caecilius/Frobisher rather than just alluding to it with a throwaway line. They made it sound like they had a neat idea for it, as though they were tying up a loose end.

*shakes fist at Moffat*

I think they are still planning on exploring that connection. Maybe next season?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Idiot Box is hilarious, I can't hate it. Lets Kill Hitler is, in contrast, a pile of crap and basically the nexus of everything that went wrong with their attempt at a larger, character driven drama

I don't accept that apologist argument. If adults watch it and enjoy it is being looked at from an adult perspective. I also resent the insinuation that kids show are less well produced. There are plenty of shows aimed at kids that aren't as terribly and lazily written as Doctor Who.

I'm going to agree...with the caveat that I think it used to be better. And I'm referring to the Eccleston and Tennant years here, yes. Its always had its dumb episodes, but I think that it didn't used to be stuck so far up its own ass with an obsession with 'cleverness", that the best stories then where characterized by a focus on the human condition in the best traditions of science fiction and that at the very least I'm pretty sure there were less ass pulls and more proper dramatic escalation, although that last one is something I should confirm by rewatching the entire run instead of revisiting my favorite episodes

The show has really gotten lazy on a dramatic level, although I do think the current series is doing...better then the last few

I've got different standards for shows like Arrow and Who than I do for premier dramas like Mad Men or Masters of Sex. They need to be entertaining, they need to at least explore the characters a little, the acting has to be OK (in Arrow's case, it often falls down on this one).

There's no reason to compare it to better shows if it does what it's intended to do.

That said I agree that the Moffat years are weak compared to the RTD era. Higher production values, worse scripts.

I'm not sure the "loyal fan: thing applied to me since I had never watched Who until last November,

Blader

It's strange seeing people with such rampant hate for Moffat's tenure while cherishing the RTD years as the golden age of Who or something considering how the hate was out in full force during RTD's run. I wonder if it's just a matter of vocal minorities changing places. Part of me wants to compare the older threads to the current ones, but luckily that part is too lazy.

I really don't get the enormous hate there is for Curse of the Black Pearl. I think it might be a side effect of having watched it on Netflix as part of catching up with the show, which allowed me to quickly forget about it and not have to dwell on it for too long, but I really can't recall what was so particularly bad about it. If I remember right:

- Doctor, Amy and Rory arrive at pirate ship.
- Pirate sword fight.
- Weird mermaid alien lady (water lady?) appears, puts mark on people's hands.
- People die soon after?
- Stuff happens. I think maybe Rory gets infected?
- They figure out she appears through reflective surfaces.
- There's a sideplot about some kid being the captain's son.
- Mermaid lady is actually alien, her ship is shifting or something and it fused with the pirate's ship or something.
- Alien ship is actually medical ship.
- Something happens, Rory is saved, pirate & kid become space pirates.

That sounds like a regular Doctor Who episode to me. It sure doesn't stand out and is as generic and monster-of-the-week-ish as an episode can possibly be, but it's also odd to me how the fanbase fixates on it when talking about bad episodes. It certainly isn't even close in badness to Fear Her or Love and Monsters to me.

It's just a bad version of a regular Doctor Who episode. It also completely forgets about one of its own characters, which kind of neatly sums up the whole thing.

Nobody talks about Idiot Box, which was far worse from the same era. Or Angels Take Manhattan or Let's Kill Hitler for stories that didn't even make sense.

HUNGRY. HUUUUNGRY.

I'm going to agree...with the caveat that I think it used to be better. And I'm referring to the Eccleston and Tennant years here, yes. Its always had its dumb episodes, but I think that it didn't used to be stuck so far up its own ass with an obsession with 'cleverness", that the best stories then where characterized by a focus on the human condition in the best traditions of science fiction and that at the very least I'm pretty sure there were less ass pulls and more proper dramatic escalation, although that last one is something I should confirm by rewatching the entire run instead of revisiting my favorite episodes

The show has really gotten lazy on a dramatic level, although I do think the current series is doing...better then the last few

Considering the fact that the entire first series story arc was a misplanned attempt at "spooky cleverness", the entire third series mistreated and undermined one of its own characters, and most of the last two episodes of the Davies era were an overdramatic, bloated mess, I can't really say I agree.

Idiot Box is hilarious, I can't hate it. Lets Kill Hitler is, in contrast, a pile of crap and basically the nexus of everything that went wrong with their attempt at a larger, character driven drama

I never thought I'd look back at the Eccleston era with fondness. But here I sit, looking back at it thinking about how at that point there was a possibility that they weren't as tethered to the canon as they are now. Where the doctor had actual emotional states and would and could do wrong.

I disliked Tennant, he represented the rise of the fan service era. The gurning know-it-all who is practically perfect in every way.

My biggest problem is I should love this show, I want to love it. How many show have that? That kind of good will towards them. The premise is amazing. The execution is lazy and the bare minimum they need to keep the loyal gaggle hanging on.

I tuned into the first episode of this series and the first thing I saw showed that despite actually making an interesting casting choice, the show was still everything I hated. That dinosaur was so fucking stupid, too fucking large and added a grand total of fuck all to the narrative, which it really should because a flaming dinosaur in that time period will be remembered forever. But it'll never come up.

I posit to you an opening sequence where the Tardis awkwardly dematerialises in a smoking Victorian backstreet discharging smoking and lightning (Terminator Style) and the Doctor falls out of the door (Pertwee style). Cut to Credits. All the same information is delivered without the stupid fluff. Hell, you even leave the scene ambiguously and worried for his well being.

Less is so much more.

The spookiy cleverness in Series 1 is about the only time the season-arc idea has worked. Contrast with recent series where that became overbearingly foregrounded. Ugh.

A far as undermining, and you talking about Martha?

And yeah, the last two episodes were messy, as were a lot of later RDT things. Itwas time for him to go, no doubt. But they don't compare with the nonsensical nature of things like River = Amy's daughter, the endless run up to the Name of the Doctor, or the slapdash feel of the Impossible Girl.

The Technomancer

season 5 is by far the best season so far.

Eh. Was never a fan. Didn't like Eleventh Hour, nothing else really resonated with me. A couple of good episodes, a lot of annoying stuff like the Angels two parter

I disliked Tennant, he represented the rise of the fan service era. The gurning know-it-all who is practically perfect in every way.

I think this is a bit of a misread of Tennant's character, although one that I can see how you might make it. But I absolutely agree that the specials especially began to idolize the Doctor in the classical sense, and the problem is that the Smith era did nothing to reverse that trend.

The Technomancer

You know what I really miss, that we've had frustratingly few of lately? Classic "humanity in future" episodes. The Long Game was one of the episodes that immediately grabbed me into the series and I've always loved stuff like The Impossible Planet and Gridlock. We haven't really had an episode like that since The Beast Below, which was mediocre, and arguably The Rebel Flesh, which I also loved

The spookiy cleverness in Series 1 is about the only time the season-arc idea has worked. Contrast with recent series where that became overbearingly foregrounded. Ugh.

A far as undermining, and you talking about Martha?

And yeah, the last two episodes were messy, as were a lot of later RDT things. Itwas time for him to go, no doubt. But they don't compare with the nonsensical nature of things like River = Amy's daughter, the endless run up to the Name of the Doctor, or the slapdash feel of the Impossible Girl.

Yeah, I mean Martha. As Bobby (and others) pointed out, Martha's entire role in the show is to be "The Rebound". Barely noticed and appreciated by the Doctor or by the show. She's given credit for being supercompetent, but then her actions are rendered useless/undermined by the episode.

Hell, you could completely remove Martha from The Doctor's Daughter (or replace her) and the story doesn't change a bit.

I mentioned this on the last page, but Bad Wolf faltered for me because in the grand state of things, it has absolutely no bearing on the resolution itself. Bad Wolf Girl leaves the words "Bad Wolf" everywhere, to lead herself there. Except the Doctor and Rose don't do anything about Bad Wolf other than remark about how strange it is that these two words follow them everywhere, then do nothing about it (in fact, I don't even think they remark on it until Boom Town - and do nothing about it). The words don't lead them to Bad Wolf Corporation, they're literally just picked off of the TARDIS and dropped there. Bad Wolf had fuck all to do with it. Davies literally (mentions it in The Writer's Tale) had no idea what Bad Wolf was supposed to mean until it came time for the finale. It's honest to God about as "slapdash" as you can get.

D_prOdigy

Season 3 and 4 still had the best run of episodes, tho

Human Nature
Family of Blood
Blink
Utopia
The Sound of Drums

giroudd24rxm.png

Silence in the Library
Forest of the Dead
Midnight
Turn Left
The Stolen Earth
Journey's End

iA1S7dn62Q3Kk.png

Blader

I didn't like that one the first time around, but the second time I really enjoyed it. It was fun, and I laughed quite a few times.

Yeah I had the same reaction too. Felt really jumbled and convoluted on the first watch, but a lot of fun and surprisingly heartfelt on rewatch.

You know what I really miss, that we've had frustratingly few of lately? Classic "humanity in future" episodes. The Long Game was one of the episodes that immediately grabbed me into the series and I've always loved stuff like The Impossible Planet and Gridlock. We haven't really had an episode like that since The Beast Below, which was mediocre, and arguably The Rebel Flesh, which I also loved

Listen kind of had that with Orson. And I'm guessing we'll get more of that with Kill the Moon.

I mentioned this on the last page, but Bad Wolf faltered for me because in the grand state of things, it has absolutely no bearing on the resolution itself. Bad Wolf Girl leaves the words "Bad Wolf" everywhere, to lead herself there. Except the Doctor and Rose don't do anything about Bad Wolf other than remark about how strange it is that these two words follow them everywhere, then do nothing about it (in fact, I don't even think they remark on it until Boom Town - and do nothing about it). The words don't lead them to Bad Wolf Corporation, they're literally just picked off of the TARDIS and dropped there. Bad Wolf had fuck all to do with it. Davies literally (mentions it in The Writer's Tale) had no idea what Bad Wolf was supposed to mean until it came time for the finale. It's honest to God about as "slapdash" as you can get.

Yes, but it was also a bit of fluff. The annoying thing about more recetn season-long things is that they derail or distract from stories, as opposed to being an easter egg or teaser. One thing that I liked about Missy is that she seems to be in that same pigeonhole and we haven't even seen a hint of her or the Promised Land for a couple of episodes. Moffatt's toning it down a little, for the better.

The Technomancer

Yes, but it was also a bit of fluff. The annoying thing about more recetn season-long things is that they derail or distract from stories, as opposed to being an easter egg or teaser. One thing that I liked about Missy is that she seems to be in that same pigeonhole and we haven't even seen a hint of her or the Promised Land for a couple of episodes. Moffatt's toning it down a little, for the better.

More importantly he's not making promises that there's no way he can deliver on. For as tepid as I am about Series 5 at least the cracks in reality thing actually led to a sensible escalation into the nature of the finale.

Platy

I don't often enjoy fan trailers, but SeanMozzy has them down to a tee. His series 7 cinema trailer is just awesome:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB5XbbM8b14&list=UU2G9aiec3IbWRrlWCs-EKog

And this trailer uses M83's Outro track just perfectly (1 min mark onwards)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHjNOhWHQLM&list=UU2G9aiec3IbWRrlWCs-EKog

The BBC should employ this guy for all the Who trailers going forward.

Really pretty ones ... but the last one is ridiculously spoiler =P

Oh, don't get me wrong, I like that about this season too. We're five episodes in, and we've only seen Missy twice, and had just one small reference to the Promised Land since the Clockwork Droid went on about it in Deep Breath. It's been a very good change, and one that I hope remains.

Oh, do you hear it often then?

I would be remiss if I didn't dust of all the accoutrements of my "Things wrong with Who" arsenal.

Holy shit, like you wouldn't believe.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Yeah, all the praise Bad Wolf gets in the Who fandom is a little confusing to me. It's not even an arc per se. The season would have worked just the same without it, or if they had "vaginafaces" written everywhere instead.

It was pretty inoffensive though, so there's that. I'd rather have something inconsequential barely connecting the episodes like that than another Impossible Girl-style garbage, although the best scenario is a balance of both.

The Missy stuff has been very good so far. I love that they're not pigeonholing Promised Land references in every episode and all the usage so far has been tasteful and just enough to get you wondering.

It'd be a laugh if Ian turned up and was played by the guy that played him in An Adventure in Space & Time, since RTD slipped in the suggestion that he and Barbara haven't aged since the 60s because something weird has gone on.

Boem

It'd be a laugh if Ian turned up and was played by the guy that played him in An Adventure in Space & Time, since RTD slipped in the suggestion that he and Barbara haven't aged since the 60s because something weird has gone on.

This is the quote from Sarah Jane Adventures that you're talking about:

Sarah Jane: There’s a woman called Tegan in Australia, fighting for Aboriginal rights. There’s Ben and Polly, in India, running an orphanage there. There was Harry. Oh, I loved Harry. He was a doctor, he did such good work with vaccines. He saved thousands of lives. There was a Dorothy something. She runs that company, A Charitable Earth. She’s ...raised billions. And this couple in Cambridge. Both professors. Ian and Barbara Chesterton. Rumour has it, they’ve never aged. Not since the sixties. I wonder… echoes of the Doctor, all over the world. With friends like us, he’s never going to die, is he?

We know that at least Ian isn't at Cambridge anymore (he could have simply moved in between that episode and Day of the Doctor, where the Coal Hill sign says he's the headmaster (I think?). The 'haven't aged' comment could easily be interpreted as a compliment, with them still being very youthful and undertaking despite their age. I mean, I can see where you're coming from, but if they ever want to bring Ian back (which certainly fits, given the sign in Day of the Doctor and the historical importance of Clara's school), I think it'd be weird not to use William Russel. He, along with Carole Ford, is the only actor that was there from the beginning and still alive. They also had him (when he was already significantly older) act out some scenes in his study in character while he was narrating some of the missing stories for the dvd's, but I know that only leads to very dubious canonicity discussions so I won't go on about that :p.

This is the quote from Sarah Jane Adventures that you're talking about:

We know that at least Ian isn't at Cambridge anymore (he could have simply moved in between that episode and Day of the Doctor, where the Coal Hill sign says he's the headmaster (I think?). The 'haven't aged' comment could easily be interpreted as a compliment, with them still being very youthful and undertaking despite their age. I mean, I can see where you're coming from, but if they ever want to bring Ian back (which certainly fits, given the sign in Day of the Doctor and the historical importance of Clara's school), I think it'd be weird not to use William Russel. He, along with Carole Ford, is the only actor that was there from the beginning and still alive.

I think the implication of the line is obviously NOT just that they still have a youthful vigor. And can they bring back one without the other? Hill is sadly no longer with us.

Just think it'd be cute. And, sure - that SJA episode, given the canon timeline of SJA which is actually very well defined by the age & school year of the kids, is 2010.. so it's been four years. Sure he could've moved!

Boem

I think the implication of the line is obviously NOT just that they still have a youthful vigor. And can they bring back one without the other? Hill is sadly no longer with us.

Well, yes, I'm sure that was RTD's intention, but he also explained that he threw in that 'how often can you regenerate?' '9000 times!' (or something like that) quote because he thought it'd be funny to solve that problem so flippantly, not knowing that Moffat would actually address that problem himself a couple of years later. My point is more that both quotes are vague enough that you can write around them easily.

I was half expecting that they gave Clara a job at Coal Hill in Day of the Doctor just so that they could give Ian a little cameo somewhere in the episode. That didn't happen, but now that they keep setting scenes there I wouldn't be surprised if they end up doing something with it. After all, he also does Big Finish, and he had a small cameo in An Adventure in Space & Time, so I'm sure he'd be up for it. Maybe they'll save it for Clara's last episode or something though, if they'll do it at all. Pure speculation: if they end up doing it, they won't do it without at least mentioning Barbara. Maybe they'll even mention her death (in a similar manner as the Brigadier's), and give that as a reason why Ian chose to spend the rest of his life as headmaster of Coal Hill, out of a sense of nostalgia. Maybe that'd be too morbid?

Anyway, you could do something really lovely with a scene between Ian and Capaldi.

In fairness to RTD, he never said his intention was to actually solve it... it was more a joke. "It'll never stick!" he said. And it didn't!

Also, he's not the headteacher, is he? He's head of Chairman of the Governors... so it's not a role he's likely to be in the school lots for. He could be there, but there's an excuse for if he never does show up built right in there.

Boem

In fairness to RTD, he never said his intention was to actually solve it... it was more a joke. "It'll never stick!" he said. And it didn't!

Also, he's not the headteacher, is he? He's head of Chairman of the Governors... so it's not a role he's likely to be in the school lots for. He could be there, but there's an excuse for if he never does show up built right in there.

Ah, right, I didn't remember what the sign actually said. I broke my rule of not watching previews for the next episode now that my girlfriend is watching with me, and knowing that the next episode takes places at the school does make it a bit more likely that he'll have a little cameo (although these things tend to be announced beforehand, so who knows). My comments on this might make it seem like I think he should definitely come back, but I don't. I think it'd be a nice nod to the past, nothing more. It's definitely easier to bring Ian back instead of Susan though, plotwise.

The actress who played Barbara in AAISAT is doing Barbara for Big Finish now. It's not the craziest idea.

Suddenly thought: I wonder if we'll see a midseason trailer after this week's ep?

Particularly since Kill The Moon seems to start a push towards the finale in terms of tone and Doctor stuff.

Blader

Suddenly thought: I wonder if we'll see a midseason trailer after this week's ep?

Particularly since Kill The Moon seems to start a push towards the finale in terms of tone and Doctor stuff.

There's no split this year though. Did they do midseason trailers for past straight-through seasons?

You know, classic Who was pretty terrible about transitioning between companions sometimes

What's that? You're gonna marry this dude you just met and travel the Amazon/stay on Gallifrey/help rebuild Earth?

Oh, you're just randomly gonna take K-9 and live in E-space with the cat people you've had literally spoken to four times? Okay?

I'm scared to google whatever happened to Leela, or if they just forgot about her

Part of me expects Moffat to make her the Doctor's mom

I never thought I'd look back at the Eccleston era with fondness. But here I sit, looking back at it thinking about how at that point there was a possibility that they weren't as tethered to the canon as they are now. Where the doctor had actual emotional states and would and could do wrong.

Perfect? You mean the same Doctor who changed the future in his first appearance, in a fit of pique, leading to the disastrous reign of the Master? The same one who became so dangerously arrogant that the universe finally had to slap him down? 10 was not perfect, far from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom