• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 8 |OT| We've fucking time-travelled, yes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't like spiders? What's not to like?

tumblr_n8ptzrQuJb1tvhs57o2_400.gif

There are some DVD interviews with Katy Manning where she is just scary. More surgery than Cassandra. Her mouth seems to run along her entire jaw these days

tumblr_nb7fdbomB41tvhs57o5_400.gif

Not even gonna lie, my first thought upon seeing that pic:

"Oh shit, the Doctor is rolling w/ the Hoodie/sweater/blazer look. SOLID."
I still think he should have gone for a hoodie or some similar clothes rather than the magician look. Would have been a nice contrast with Smith and his older look.

He looked so good as the Architect in that one shot last week I got disappointed all over again.

I wonder if they're worried about ratings a bit - there seems to be a very aggressive round of mid-series posturing and promotion. There's a major ad campaign running online with an absolutely huge budget (working in gaming websites where the ads have been running this week in the UK, I know the cost the BBC is paying, roughly, for some of it, and was surprised) plus the interviews and clips... they haven't done this this actively and aggressively since 2010.

Not a bad thing, mind! Glad they're doing it. RTD's era had that mid-series push every year, but that was just another thing that got lost in the mess of 2011 when the series barely even pulled together in time.

Blader

I really need to start watching some Classic Who...

I wonder if they're worried about ratings a bit - there seems to be a very aggressive round of mid-series posturing and promotion. There's a major ad campaign running online with an absolutely huge budget (working in gaming websites where the ads have been running this week in the UK, I know the cost the BBC is paying, roughly, for some of it, and was surprised) plus the interviews and clips... they haven't done this this actively and aggressively since 2010.

Not a bad thing, mind! Glad they're doing it. RTD's era had that mid-series push every year, but that was just another thing that got lost in the mess of 2011 when the series barely even pulled together in time.

Well they also haven't had a straight-through series since 2010 either though. Can't really do that kind of mid-series push when you've got x amount of months between episodes.

Don't like spiders? What's not to like?

tumblr_n8ptzrQuJb1tvhs57o2_400.gif

Doctor Who seems to have a history with GIANT ASS BUGS CRAWLING ON YOUR BACK:

Oh, what's it about? Just a push towards the last half of the series?

hamchan

I was just listening to an Eighth Doctor adventure about smart spiders that were taking over the world using mind control...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I thought the 8.30 broadcast was a one-off while they piss about kicking off strictly bloody come dancing. But it is on at 8.30 again next week. It's supposed to be a family show - if it stays at 8.30 it will be bumping into kids bedtime routines. Why is strictly two damn hours anyway?

I thought the 8.30 broadcast was a one-off while they piss about kicking off strictly bloody come dancing. But it is on at 8.30 again next week. It's supposed to be a family show - if it stays at 8.30 it will be bumping into kids bedtime routines. Why is strictly two damn hours anyway?

Isn't the Mummy episode supposed to start super late as well?

Blader

I thought they were deliberately starting the next two episodes later because they're supposed to be not-as-kid-friendly?

Slowdive

Banned
I thought they were deliberately starting the next two episodes later because they're supposed to be not-as-kid-friendly?

The said The Mummy on The Orient Express would be shown later because it would scare kids, but it seems that Strictly has pushed it to a later time from now on anyway. Unless they're going to show Mummy even later which I doubt.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Gosh, it's such a shame Clara has to jump directly between all those exciting adventures and going on dates. If only she had a time machine of some sort which could give her ample time to prepare before going out.

RytGear

Love that they got Ollie Reeder to go along with Malcolm Tucker, I want the next afterlife attendant to be Glenn, constantly making the dead cups of tea and generally getting overlooked.

Loved that. The scene with Danny in the TARDIS worked really well. Once again, I'm not entirely sure whether I like the Doctor at this point... he's kind of a massive tool.

Chris Addison at the end though. Wasn't expecting that.

D_prOdigy

I enjoyed it.

So is the 'gamechanging' event next week basically given away in the preview?
He's just gonna choose to kill an innocent to save humanity?

Loved that. The scene with Danny in the TARDIS worked really well. Once again, I'm not entirely sure whether I like the Doctor at this point... he's kind of a massive tool.

Chris Addison at the end though. Wasn't expecting that.

They're really going for a first Doctor dynamic at this point. It's a ballsy departure from the last few Doctors but it's working for me.

They're really going for a first Doctor dynamic at this point. It's a ballsy departure from the last few Doctors but it's working for me.

I think it would be a crushing failure if Clara hadn't been developed so well, but she's coming along nicely (this is probably my favourite episode of hers) so I think they're nailing it.

DJMicLuv

Nice to hear the Doctor is a Pink Floyd fan.
It doesn't surprise me really.

Great episode, it feels like PC has found his feet and was really funny tonight in a deadpan manner.

Oh, Courtney Woods is a good character so far. Props to them for not fucking up the child character (yet). The previous ones were unbearable.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Great episode. Monster of the week just a distraction for some good character work.

What's with the promised land though? That policeman had no connection or interaction with the doctor, so doesn't that mess up previous suggestions about people making sacrifices for him etc?

DJMicLuv

Isn't she on the next episode, at least? She might be on a few upcoming ones, I think.

Is she going to be Clara's replacement? I'm finding Clara & the new Doc's relationship really entertaining (particularly this week) and although it's expected that Clara will be out at the end of this series I'm not sure I'd be happy with Courtney as a replacement. The Doctor's current attitude, I think, would work well with an older women as a companion, to give it more of an older husband/wife dynamic.
Either way it'll be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom