• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Documentary about an 82yo man becoming a woman

Would not normally post about something like this but the person this documentary is about is someone who I have known through a family friend for years and is genuinely one of the nicest people I have ever met and I think is a great example of seeking out what makes you happy in life

The story is about a man called Colin who has lived most of his life as a man but has decided to follow his heart at an 82 and become a woman

“BECOMING COLLEEN: Finding the Shoe that Fits” is a documentary about an 85 year old transgender woman, transitioning from male to female in the conservative coastal community of Coffs Harbour on the NSW mid-north coast.
Having lived most of her life as Colin – a husband, father, policeman, projectionist and self-declared shoe fetishist, Colleen has had to negotiate her gender transition later in life.
From early childhood in New Zealand, Colleen knew she was a girl in the body of a boy. After the untimely death of her mother, Colin sought acceptance by suppressing a vital part of herself.
Colin went on to marry Heather, and became the father of two sons. It was only later in life that Colin started to open up to her wife. The couple would draw the curtains on their suburban bungalow and dress Colin as Colleen. Under the cover of darkness, the two women would promenade arm in arm around the deserted streets of Coffs Harbour.
But both Colin’s and Colleen’s lives have been underpinned by the tragic death of the oldest son Stuart, and also Heather’s passing from brain cancer just a few years ago.
Living alone in ‘Lime Tree Retirement Village’, Colleen has found an unexpected ally in Heather’s best friend Denise, who loving helps her select her daily outfit; and the delightful Yvette who comes by regularly to do Colleen’s make-up.
We’re guided through Colleen’s story by the social worker Rowena Bianchino, who supports Colleen as her physical reality contradicts her desire for independence, as Colleen’s youngest son John comes to help move her into full-time care.
As with many older gay and transgender people, Colleen fears she will be forced back into living as a man in the Christian run nursing home, but is met with surprising acceptance by the nursing director Pippa.
Colleen’s biggest wish is to end her life with the body of a woman. She plans to travel to Thailand to have full gender reassignment surgery, an idea her doctor, Emanuel Vlahakis understands, but encourages Colleen to consider other options to.
Through tragedy and hardship, the one thing that Colleen held on to, is her love of women’s shoes. As a child in New Zealand she carved a beautiful pair of girl’s shoes from her old working gumboots; As a traffic cop, to calm her nerves after pursuit, and often abuse by speeding motorists she would retreat to the police car and slip into a pair of silver stilettos; even during her time as a film projectionist, Colin would often wear her own pair of ballet slippers in the darkness of the booth while her favourite film divas filled the screen and hearts of the audience with their feminine allure.

https://www.becomingcolleen.com/

I believe the documentary is coming out soon but if you are put off by the generation of people that treat trans and gender status as a fashion or social statement I urge you to check this out as this documentary should tell the amazing story of his life and the family around him/her and I think everyone can learn a lesson out of it.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
captainraincoat captainraincoat - Thank you for sharing this!

I had an incredibly difficult time denying who I truly was for 36 years out of fear of rejection...I cannot imagine going through that internal struggle for 82 years! God bless her...I wish her well on her journey and hope she will find happiness. :messenger_heart:

Last edited:

Antoon

Banned
captainraincoat captainraincoat - Thank you for sharing this!

I had an incredibly difficult time denying who I truly was for 36 years out of fear of rejection...I cannot imagine going through that internal struggle for 82 years! God bless her...I wish her well on her journey and hope she will find happiness. :messenger_heart:

Could you give more of your background story ? I know a few transwomen who said they were victims of the circumstances, so it would be really interesting to hear your story prior to the surgery. It's totally fine of course if you feel its too private to share.

Last edited:

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
Could you give more of your background story ? I know a few transwomen who said they were victims of the circumstances, so it would be really interesting to hear your story prior to the surgery. It's totally fine of course if you feel its too private to share.

Oh of course! This is pretty much a copy/paste of something I posted before as I'm really short on free time before I have to start work today, but here's a bit more on my history. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask! After spending the vast majority of my life living with such a deep secret, I'm pretty much an open book these days and very thankful for the freedom. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

I grew up in a Christian home and am a person of strong Christian faith myself. I never suffered sexual abuse, and never got into drugs or anything else deemed unhealthy. My family was happy and I was a mostly well-adjusted kid. Still, I knew I was different from about the age of 4; feeling much more in common with girls than boys. I never wanted to do anything I felt would be disapproved of or bring stress to my parents, so I kept my feelings to myself as much as possible. I was very quiet in school and usually stayed in my own world...focusing mostly on drawing and eventually videogames for escape. I was a very kind and considerate child, and had empathy even for those that picked on me...so I never really ever got mad at anyone no matter what they did. Still, the bullying and derogatory remarks began seriously instilling the feeling that there was something deeply wrong with me, so I did my best to hide and fit in...although my efforts were not very effective. The occasional anti-LGBT+ church sermon, as well as extremely negative representation in the media, certainly didn't help matters.

I started disliking my body at a very young age, and the feeling was compounded by the fact that I had a couple of genital abnormalities and malformations which I had to have surgery on when I was 11. (I would find out only a couple of years ago that my mother and I were epigenetically effected by a drug called Diethylstilbestrol, which has since the 1940’s caused millions of people to be born with many side effects and health issues, including many forms of sexual differentiation and gene abnormalities.) Slowly after that surgery, testosterone began slowly changing my body through puberty (although I would remain infertile and mostly asexual). The more my body changed, the more I hated my reflection and felt bad about myself. Finally around age 14, I learned I wasn't alone when I saw Caroline Cossey on The Phil Donahue Show. (This was of course before the internet was so widely used). I then knew I was transgender/transsexual, but I was still far too afraid of the possible social fallout to let anyone know.

Fast forward now 20-something years of trying my absolute hardest to live as a 'regular guy' out of fear of rejection from all I held dear, as well as a worry that God disapproved...even though it was never anything I ever chose to feel and often fought hard against and tried to pray away. Living through all that time trying to fit into the role opposite my own gender identity caused me eventual intense self-hatred, depression and anxiety, and eventually suicidal feelings. For a couple of years, I actually felt it was better for me to die and take my secret to the grave rather than risk losing everyone I loved. Eventually I decided it would hurt everyone worse if I killed myself, so I decided to give my life one more chance by doing what I had wanted to 20 years earlier...I decided to come out as transgender and begin transition.

Now, I am a transgender woman three years into full medical & surgical gender transition and have never felt happier. I am finally comfortable with myself and have a growing confidence like I had never known, and my previously crippling depression and anxiety have disappeared. I am incredibly grateful I did not end my life, and I see each new day living as my genuine self as a blessing. My faith in God has never been stronger…I finally feel at peace in my body, and I am thankful for the empathy and compassion the life I have been given has helped me have for other people of all walks of life.

Last edited:

Mohonky

Oh of course! This is pretty much a copy/paste of something I posted before as I'm really short on free time before I have to start work today, but here's a bit more on my history. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask! After spending the vast majority of my life living with such a deep secret, I'm pretty much an open book these days and very thankful for the freedom. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

I grew up in a Christian home and am a person of strong Christian faith myself. I never suffered sexual abuse, and never got into drugs or anything else deemed unhealthy. My family was happy and I was a mostly well-adjusted kid. Still, I knew I was different from about the age of 4; feeling much more in common with girls than boys. I never wanted to do anything I felt would be disapproved of or bring stress to my parents, so I kept my feelings to myself as much as possible. I was very quiet in school and usually stayed in my own world...focusing mostly on drawing and eventually videogames for escape. I was a very kind and considerate child, and had empathy even for those that picked on me...so I never really ever got mad at anyone no matter what they did. Still, the bullying and derogatory remarks began seriously instilling the feeling that there was something deeply wrong with me, so I did my best to hide and fit in...although my efforts were not very effective. The occasional anti-LGBT+ church sermon, as well as extremely negative representation in the media, certainly didn't help matters.

I started disliking my body at a very young age, and the feeling was compounded by the fact that I had a couple of genital abnormalities and malformations which I had to have surgery on when I was 11. (I would find out only a couple of years ago that my mother and I were epigenetically effected by a drug called Diethylstilbestrol, which has since the 1940’s caused millions of people to be born with many side effects and health issues, including many forms of sexual differentiation and gene abnormalities.) Slowly after that surgery, testosterone began slowly changing my body through puberty (although I would remain infertile and mostly asexual). The more my body changed, the more I hated my reflection and felt bad about myself. Finally around age 14, I learned I wasn't alone when I saw Caroline Cossey on The Phil Donahue Show. (This was of course before the internet was so widely used). I then knew I was transgender/transsexual, but I was still far too afraid of the possible social fallout to let anyone know.

Fast forward now 20-something years of trying my absolute hardest to live as a 'regular guy' out of fear of rejection from all I held dear, as well as a worry that God disapproved...even though it was never anything I ever chose to feel and often fought hard against and tried to pray away. Living through all that time trying to fit into the role opposite my own gender identity caused me eventual intense self-hatred, depression and anxiety, and eventually suicidal feelings. For a couple of years, I actually felt it was better for me to die and take my secret to the grave rather than risk losing everyone I loved. Eventually I decided it would hurt everyone worse if I killed myself, so I decided to give my life one more chance by doing what I had wanted to 20 years earlier...I decided to come out as transgender and begin transition.

Now, I am a transgender woman three years into full medical & surgical gender transition and have never felt happier. I am finally comfortable with myself and have a growing confidence like I had never known, and my previously crippling depression and anxiety have disappeared. I am incredibly grateful I did not end my life, and I see each new day living as my genuine self as a blessing. My faith in God has never been stronger…I finally feel at peace in my body, and I am thankful for the empathy and compassion the life I have been given has helped me have for other people of all walks of life.

I find your story fascinating because of your faith more than anything. Im not a believer so I can't really relate but my general experience with those who are church goers is that they usually have a negative view toward homosexuality, transexuals etc. Do you still attend church and if so what are your interactions with others?

My other question is probably more personal but I watched a show where 3 people had gone through transition and felt they were better off before transitioning, some because of ongoing struggles with pain from the surgeries and one because they felt like while they did their best, there ended up always being the next step or something that physically still reminded them of their previous sex.

Have you found any of that true for yourself? Im curious just because it is such a big change to the body. I have often wondered whether its possible to change the mind to suit the body rather than the other way purely because of how much risk is involved.

Astral Dog

😥
Thats a nice story, hope it all goes well in the surgery she has suffered a lot already, it teach us its never too late to be who we are.

Last edited:

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
I find your story fascinating because of your faith more than anything. Im not a believer so I can't really relate but my general experience with those who are church goers is that they usually have a negative view toward homosexuality, transexuals etc. Do you still attend church and if so what are your interactions with others?

Sadly...that has been much of my experience as well. Certainly less so now than over the years, but yeah. I live in eastern Tennessee where there are usually many churches within a short drive from nearly anywhere...and I've had difficulty finding a church that teaches the gospels and is accepting toward having LGBT+ members. I love the church my family goes to (and I used to attend), and have great respect for the preacher. Still, even after my parents helped him understand that the transgender/transsexual condition is largely caused by prenatal sexual differentiation, some of his sermons still fueled the fear/anger of some of the churchgoers and online viewers. I tried to join in the conversation once on the online livestream to share my story, and about 4 different people tried to shut me up and force me out...calling me a liar and vile sinner. One person said I was probably even demon-possessed, and that I need to get right with Jesus....even after I already talked with them about my salvation and how my relationship with Jesus was the reason I was still alive. I gave up hope in rejoining the church after all of that.

Still, things are slowly changing as people come to understand these things more and more. Even though I've found it difficult to find an accepting gospel-preaching church near me, I've learned of a couple that are only about 40 minutes away. Also, one of my best friends invited me to speak to the youth group of his church about my story...something I still plan on doing hopefully soon. (I'm dreadfully shy in front of crowds...but that is a goal of mine this year.)

My other question is probably more personal but I watched a show where 3 people had gone through transition and felt they were better off before transitioning, some because of ongoing struggles with pain from the surgeries and one because they felt like while they did their best, there ended up always being the next step or something that physically still reminded them of their previous sex.

Have you found any of that true for yourself? Im curious just because it is such a big change to the body. I have often wondered whether its possible to change the mind to suit the body rather than the other way purely because of how much risk is involved.

Excellent question! Certainly, there are times where some elements of life were easier before I transitioned. Even though it made me extremely uncomfortable, I never had to worry about people getting angry at me for using a public bathroom. Back in school, I was internally extremely anxious every time I had to go to the locker room for gym...and even though I was bullied in there quite a few times, it certainly would have been worse for me if they knew I truly felt like a girl on the inside. Growing up, I never had people staring at me like I was some sort of freak before transition...I could go to church or anywhere without people staring at all. I didn't have creepy fetishists trying to send me direct messages all the time. I didn't have the physical pain I had to go through for a while after surgery (alhough, I did have really bad back pains for years before). I was able to work for over 5 years at a job I loved before I was suddenly laid me off two months after public gender transition. I probably wouldn't have had to go through over 8 months of unemployment, either.

I'm not going to lie...the first two years of transition were very difficult. It was strange though, as I mentally and physically felt IMMENSELY better than ever before in my life, but at the same time any social situation became way more stressful and anxiety-provoking for a while. I'm incredibly thankful that now I am rarely if ever called "sir" anymore in public, and especially so on the phone. I know some women hate being called "Ma'am"...but for me, it is one of my favorite words now. :)

As far as the transition itself, it's all been very easy really. I began on Spironolactone and Estradiol pills, and eventually moved on to bio-identical Depo-Estradiol injections once a week which I like a lot more (which for me, was surprising..as I usually hate needles.) I was able to drop the anti-androgens after my gender-affirming surgery over a year ago. Now, my body may be a little different from some due to the prenatal exposure to Diethylstilbestrol causing my genes to act abnormally...but for me, everything physically started improving vastly after feminizing hormone replacement therapy. My blood pressure improved greatly, my borderline diabetes went away, and I had greatly increased energy despite the massive reduction in testosterone. The surgery itself was obviously painful and debilitating...but it didn't last forever.

My only regret is allowing my fear to delay my transition by over twenty years. Still, if things had been different...perhaps I would have suffered more at the hand of others back then? Also, what if I would have missed out on meeting some of the people who are so very special and important to me now? I wouldn't want to change that for anything...and I trust God's timing on all the events in my life. :messenger_heart:

Last edited:

Antoon

Banned

Wow, that must have been a lot of suffering you had to go through. I'm sorry to hear you had such horrible luck with the genital abnormalities. I guess I can understand how this must have contributed to your general mental state during those vital developing years. I know this is not same at all, but I think I can relate a bit with my foreskin sensitivity problem in my puberty years. It was driving me mad, and caused a lot of insecurity issues (it caused erections from the slightest touch of clothing or anything), and I didnt have anyone to talk to about this, I thought my life was over as I myself had no idea what to do (And yes, I did have thoughts that the only option is to mutilate myself.), but thanks to the internet search I'm glad I was able to finally learn what the problem is and have the circumcision at age 16.

Anyway, thank you for sharing your story. I'm glad you were able to transition successfully and find the way to be happy in life, as it is still quite rare among the trans community (based from what I read). I know I do a bunch of trans threads around here, but dont get the wrong idea, I do not hate transgender people. I understand there are serious psychological and physiological conditions that lead the person to change genders, and I do not have anything against that. Everyone deserves respect, no matter who you identify yourself as. The only problem I have is with people who deny the fact that this is a disorder, and those who claim its something to be recommended to kids and teens who dont know any better. This usually leads to some serious life-damaging choices that many will regret sooner or later in life, as we see from various suicide/murder reports. I think you should be at least 21 before doing this type surgery, despite what tumblr says.

Last edited:

Mohonky

Sadly...that has been much of my experience as well. Certainly less so now than over the years, but yeah. I live in eastern Tennessee where there are usually many churches within a short drive from nearly anywhere...and I've had difficulty finding a church that teaches the gospels and is accepting toward having LGBT+ members. I love the church my family goes to (and I used to attend), and have great respect for the preacher. Still, even after my parents helped him understand that the transgender/transsexual condition is largely caused by prenatal sexual differentiation, some of his sermons still fueled the fear/anger of some of the churchgoers and online viewers. I tried to join in the conversation once on the online livestream to share my story, and about 4 different people tried to shut me up and force me out...calling me a liar and vile sinner. One person said I was probably even demon-possessed, and that I need to get right with Jesus....even after I already talked with them about my salvation and how my relationship with Jesus was the reason I was still alive. I gave up hope in rejoining the church after all of that.

Still, things are slowly changing as people come to understand these things more and more. Even though I've found it difficult to find an accepting gospel-preaching church near me, I've learned of a couple that are only about 40 minutes away. Also, one of my best friends invited me to speak to the youth group of his church about my story...something I still plan on doing hopefully soon. (I'm dreadfully shy in front of crowds...but that is a goal of mine this year.)

Excellent question! Certainly, there are times where some elements of life were easier before I transitioned. Even though it made me extremely uncomfortable, I never had to worry about people getting angry at me for using a public bathroom. Back in school, I was internally extremely anxious every time I had to go to the locker room for gym...and even though I was bullied in there quite a few times, it certainly would have been worse for me if they knew I truly felt like a girl on the inside. Growing up, I never had people staring at me like I was some sort of freak before transition...I could go to church or anywhere without people staring at all. I didn't have creepy fetishists trying to send me direct messages all the time. I didn't have the physical pain I had to go through for a while after surgery (alhough, I did have really bad back pains for years before). I was able to work for over 5 years at a job I loved before I was suddenly laid me off two months after public gender transition. I probably wouldn't have had to go through over 8 months of unemployment, either.

I'm not going to lie...the first two years of transition were very difficult. It was strange though, as I mentally and physically felt IMMENSELY better than ever before in my life, but at the same time any social situation became way more stressful and anxiety-provoking for a while. I'm incredibly thankful that now I am rarely if ever called "sir" anymore in public, and especially so on the phone. I know some women hate being called "Ma'am"...but for me, it is one of my favorite words now. :)

As far as the transition itself, it's all been very easy really. I began on Spironolactone and Estradiol pills, and eventually moved on to bio-identical Depo-Estradiol injections once a week which I like a lot more (which for me, was surprising..as I usually hate needles.) I was able to drop the anti-androgens after my gender-affirming surgery over a year ago. Now, my body may be a little different from some due to the prenatal exposure to Diethylstilbestrol causing my genes to act abnormally...but for me, everything physically started improving vastly after feminizing hormone replacement therapy. My blood pressure improved greatly, my borderline diabetes went away, and I had greatly increased energy despite the massive reduction in testosterone. The surgery itself was obviously painful and debilitating...but it didn't last forever.

My only regret is allowing my fear to delay my transition by over twenty years. Still, if things had been different...perhaps I would have suffered more at the hand of others back then? Also, what if I would have missed out on meeting some of the people who are so very special and important to me now? I wouldn't want to change that for anything...and I trust God's timing on all the events in my life. :messenger_heart:

See as someone who isn't religious, I can't get my head around the bolded. I always prefer to just let people be who they want to be if it doesn't concern or involve others; but what you said there it's like those on the other end of the line take a position of personal offense, like it's something they feel is an affront to themselves. I just don't really understand that, but I can't really say I have any type of understanding of the mindset of having some type of relationship with God or any other deity or perceived overseer so I don't understand why some people feel they need to personally interject with their own stance.

Your entire experience just sounds rough, so I'm glad you've found a place now where you're comfortable and your health is where it needs to be physically and emotionally.

As to going to speaking in front of a crowd / youth group; try not to think of it as going there to just tell your story, but remind yourself that what you'll be doing is giving someone else the strength and resources to put themselves on a better path. Anxiety digs its claws into you when you internalise your own thoughts and feelings, when you are speaking in front of a crowd think of them, not you, externalise and project to others. I have anxiety, I experience it daily but when I am with others I am considerably better because I don't have the time to concentrate on myself, instead I focus on others and when doing so my negative inner dialogue is muted whilst projecting my conscious thoughts onto those around me.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
Wow, that must have been a lot of suffering you had to go through. I'm sorry to hear you had such horrible luck with the genital abnormalities. I guess I can understand how this must have contributed to your general mental state during those vital developing years. I know this is not same at all, but I think I can relate a bit with my foreskin sensitivity problem in my puberty years. It was driving me mad, and caused a lot of insecurity issues (it caused erections from the slightest touch of clothing or anything), and I didnt have anyone to talk to about this, I thought my life was over as I myself had no idea what to do (And yes, I did have thoughts that the only option is to mutilate myself.), but thanks to the internet search I'm glad I was able to finally learn what the problem is and have the circumcision at age 16.

Ohh gosh, that does sound rough...I'm glad you were able to have that taken care of! (Sorry you had to go through that pain, though!) :messenger_anguished:

Anyway, thank you for sharing your story. I'm glad you were able to transition successfully and find the way to be happy in life, as it is still quite rare among the trans community (based from what I read). I know I do a bunch of trans threads around here, but dont get the wrong idea, I do not hate transgender people. I understand there are serious psychological and physiological conditions that lead the person to change genders, and I do not have anything against that. Everyone deserves respect, no matter who you identify yourself as. The only problem I have is with people who deny the fact that this is a disorder, and those who claim its something to be recommended to kids and teens who dont know any better. This usually leads to some serious life-damaging choices that many will regret sooner or later in life, as we see from various suicide/murder reports. I think you should be at least 21 before doing this type surgery, despite what tumblr says.

Thanks! The good thing is, I believe the amount of transsexual people who regret having gender affirming surgery is vastly exaggerated online. Out of probably 80 people online I personally know who've had the full surgery, I have only met one who regretted it...and it was because he was admittedly never actually transgender to begin with. Of course, every one of them has had to deal with the inherent substantial pain, but it's usually only temporary. Still, I definitely don't believe that it is something that anyone should ever push onto another person, especially children who may simply be experimenting. I see transgender/transsexual gender identity as something people are born with rather than a disorder. It's not that a trans person is inherently confused or delusional...I fully believe in most cases it is an inborn physical difference in the brain caused by abnormal hormone exposure during critical development periods. Hopefully one day, medical science will help this suffering become a thing of the past (although, I am certainly not wanting would-be-trans babies to be aborted!)

meow.gif
(Unbiased video):

Last edited:
Top Bottom