• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone else feel bothered by how anti-police things have gotten online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Condom

Get your priorities straight...innocent people being killed is more of an issue than the image of the police.

wildfire

Banned
I agree that anti-American police sentiment is wider spread than 5 years ago. I don't agree with your interpretation of the prevailing viewpoint on GAF.

The demands most people make for cops are to have better training and to become better human beings.

When the entire police force is suspected to be cancerous like the Ferguson PD that is when they feel the police shouldn't interact with civilians because their very presence is a threat to order and stability. Most people have been asking for the feds to step in to manage dysfunctional precincts like that.

What I do think is problem on GAF is how much the distrust for police is so high certain people's automatic stance is that they can't be called on to help you and that you need to be afraid of them.

Since the experience of many American's drastically differs depending on the neighborhood they live in I will chalk it up to that but sometimes I wonder if certain posters actually don't live in those hell holes.

Criticism of US police will die down when reforms are made and "bad apples" are rooted out, not before.

When there's a new incident literally every month on video of someone overstepping their authority and people rushing to defend the institution, there is the feeling that nothing is changing.

Jackpot

Banned
No, it's an accurate reflection of the state of policing today. In fact I've come across several police corruption articles I debated making a thread on and decided against, so if anything not anti-police enough.

Here's a story just from today that doesn't seem thread-worthy but shows the low-level corruption present even in small-town police forces.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...r-of-using-profanity-is-fired-for-dishonesty/

A cop tried to get a bus driver fired just because he commented on an argument she was having with a colleague at the time. Only reason he wasn't was because of the body cam footage, and it seems the only reason the body cam footage turned up was because of internal politics at the police station with others trying to force the first cop out.

RibMan

No. What's happening to the reputation of the police is a direct result of continued abuse of power by members of the institution. This isn't a recent phenomena in the United States. In fact, if you've studied the Civil Rights movement, you'll instantly realize why minorities in the United States have never trusted and or openly supported members of law enforcement.

The growth of the internet and connected devices means that more and more citizens are able to record and share police misconduct. In other words (and here's the scary part), corrupt police officers are not able to get away with immoral and unethical behavior as easy as before. If you're wondering why it's scary, it's because the revelations that have come about as a result of the average Joe being able to record police misconduct now raise serious questions about old cases and testimonies against police officers. What would happen if we discovered that police officers have actually gotten away with more criminal activity than regular citizens?

It's foolish to generalize the entire institution as a corrupt entity, because there are honest men and women who enforce the law in the exact manner we expect them to. There are police officers who wake up everyday and risk their lives and well-being for the purpose of making our society better. If you honestly think we don't need police officers then you have an extraordinarily naive view of modern society. With all of that said, it is not foolish to criticize and demand termination and or incarceration of individual police officers who fail to uphold the law. If your job is to enforce the law and you're breaking the law, you don't deserve to have that job.

The same applies to millions of other occupations out there. For example, if your job is to serve food and drinks to customers, and you're caught lathering your saliva into a customer's french toast, you don't deserve to have that job. Don't blame the internet because someone shared a video of your inability to adhere to food, safety, and health regulations.

Par Score

There's a reason "Police State" is considered a pejorative description.

The police are a necessary evil of our current societal model, and perhaps the lesser of a great multitude of evils that could exist in their place, but being the least worst option is about the best I can say about them.

IISANDERII

Right off the bat since I know what people will instantly assume, so please read the whole thing.

I am aware of the abuses of police in the US and the way in which police can and do profile black people in out country. I make no excuses for it and recognize fully the need for reform which will properly train and weed out said behavior. Police are held to a high standard, as they should be. The death of Eric Garner was horrible and it ending with no consequences for his killer was eye-opening to me as to how uneven the application of justice could be in our country. One unarmed death is one too many and it would be a huge failure on our country to turn a blind eye.

With that said, this forum has become gross over the past few months. It's as if people don't recognize the need for the police, as if a sizable portion of this forum legitimately believe that if the police were just removed from the picture, places like Baltimore would be better off. I feel like legitimate anger has morphed into something else and people have lost sight of how the work police do is both dangerous and necessary. I honestly don't think I could do a job that stressful, and I doubt that many of you could either.

In that thread about the armored humvees earlier, posters were acting like it was an illegitimate purchase to make and putting it in the same category as purchasing high-powered weaponry. People are conflating offensive and defensive equipment simply because they are both military surplus. Do you oppose them using body armor? I'd certainly hope not.

Another category of this I've seen elsewhere but not here has been discrimination against black police officers. I follow the Facebook page "I Love Being Black", they generally post positive portrayals of African Americans and native Africans, but recently in a post about the first African American female police chief, things went a bit differently. The initial post wasn't overtly confrontational but the comments were loaded with calls of her being a traitor, including by the admin for the page. I've seen this before, but rarely as starkly as this. This seems hugely counterproductive to me as it discourages black people from pursuing jobs in law enforcement, which is probably the only real way to bring about long-term change in the worst offending departments.

These are just a few poorly constructed thoughts that have been jumping around in my head today. I think about stuff to post from time to time but rarely make threads. I went back and forth on posting this because I worry about people thinking I am diminishing the grievances of the black community, but it isn't my intent. This is not a thread dismissing "A Few Bad Apples", but yes I do feel that the majority of people who become police are doing it for the right reasons.
Yeah but after they're brought through the ringer and become brainwashed, they'll become corrupt. Yes a rookie cop will think what they're doing is terrible but what are they going to do when your 20yr senior boss begins brutalizing civilians and giving you an eye of disappointment and hatred if you don't join in? Never mind your livelihood on the line.

And that's day one, imagine what happens after years of conditioning into the brotherhood.

Check out this raid where a woman was abused and threatened and count how many police were just standing around allowing transgressions of law, procedure and conduct.

Imagine if firefighters thought of coming home at night as their first priority. Now add in institutional racism and military culture. You would have a public service sector that is broken and lashes out against their clientele. We are at that apex.

WedgeX

Banned
Police as a unit of society are not doing a good job with regards to justice and its across geographic boundaries. There will be instances where officers are in the right and people will claim that they are not, but a lot of good will has been lost by the police. Only fixing a lot of things such as what laws we as citizens call for, what laws are passed by lawmakers, how we judge others when on juries, how we investigate police-involved shootings, what if any punishments are mete out for Constituional violations, what credentials we require of police, and who we as a society encourage and discourage from becoming police. For starters, not even addressing economic issues. But until all those things are done, and until police break out of the "us against them" culture, despite all of us being citizens, civilians and human beings, then things might get a little better.

I am still in favor of police as agents of the government. Privatized police, with even less accountability and less constitutional restrictions, are sure as hell not the way to go. But there is a lot of change, some easy and some rooted in our culture, that needs to happen.

Ke0

I feel much more bothered by how your fellow Black Americans are treated than your police. One group didn't choose to be what they are, the other did.

V_Arnold

The same applies to millions of other occupations out there. For example, if your job is to serve food and drinks to customers, and you're caught lathering your saliva into a customer's french toast, you don't deserve to have that job. Don't blame the internet because someone shared a video of your inability to adhere to food, safety, and health regulations.

This cut right to the core of the issue.

And still: someone posted health-regulation violations on this very forum, and some of the first responses contained "do not be a snitch" as if that would somehow make someone a bad person.

This "snitches get stitches" mentality is partly why cops got each other's back in situations, it is basically part of the social construct we created, globally. (And sadly). Where I live, cheating in exams (university, high school, whatever) is basically the norm, and when I refused to help someone, I was looked at as if I was a freak. Later I have learned that there are countries where the students understand that others cheating is actually a diminishing factor in their well-being and their performance, and behave completely differently.

Now, all that being said, it seems very hard to simply change this view and suddenly strip away the surreal levels of respect that just allows corrupt police officers to get away with their crimes. I do not see middle aged white men approving that shift, even if it is objectively justified.

JC Sera

nada
qSKX6Ds.png

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Not bothered in the slightest, it's 100% deserved and only a small part of what I hope will grow to become a huge shift in the attitude of our country toward licensed killers who only protect and serve themselves.
You're an idiot.

And, yes Op, this forum is fucking disgusting when it comes to the police.
Feel free to express an actual opinion about police brutality in the thread and why you don't think this forum has the right idea. That would probably be a lot more constructive and less ban worthy than simply flaming by calling posters idiots and saying the forum is "fucking disgusting".

I don't know about "bothered", but I know I definitely find it worrisome. Almost all my encounters with the police is with the one of the Netherlands, and my experiences are almost entirely positive. It's hard to imagine a society where I can't feel like I can trust on an officer to treat me or my problems fairly. It feels a bit frightening. The law enforcement and justice system naively are pillars in my sense of safety.

I do not blame people for being uneasy and upset if infractions and breaches of trust keep happening. It's even more frustrating when this misconduct is not being fairly dealt with. The old phrase "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" definitely feels applicable.

DxGonzalo

Neo Member
I generally don't like cops because they generally look at me with suspicion and treat me like an inferior being in my dealings with them, so I'm glad they are getting the backlash they deserve for their actions.

Slayven

OP you line of thinking is one of the reasons the police are fucked up

Instead of protect and serve they are "us vs them"

And a the vast majority of criticism would go away if they stop killing or treating people like shit, and when it does happen they actually treat it as something to be worried about.

Replicant

I don't even live there but what I've seen US police do to minorities there are despicable. How would people trust police to protect you when they abuse their power?

Valtýr

It is my opinion that any fully armed force in authority of another group of people should be held with distrust and kept at arms length. There's too much risk for things to go bad. And it's showing with the current structure of our police system.

In regards to the backlash against black cops...

That stems from the classic notion and practice that black cops will act more harshly against black citizens because they have to prove to the white cops that they are one of them. So where the white cop won't slam your head against the brick wall when searching you, the black cop will to show he's down with the blue shield.

As for the backlash against cops in general. Nope, I don't feel a drop of remorse or sympathy for them. Would you feel bad for your bully when something bad happens to them?

dabig2

Yes, people saying some mean words about the biggest mob force in the country, who continually assault and kill innocent civilians. These men are then protected by their own as the good cops join with the bad to practice omerta their blue wall of silence.

But yes, Neogaffers who forget to quantify with "some" in their strongly worded posts are the real, worrying problem.

Yes I do feel bothered about it. I like police. But this morning when the highway patrol came into my work dressed like he was going to war, it was a little much. The US Marshal that came in today Wasn't armed like that, why should highway patrol?

Johndoey

Banned
People keep saying that the majority of police are only doing their jobs and trying their best,but if that was true why is there a massive blue wall of silence that closes ranks every time a police officers is implicated in any wrongdoing, tell me that huh. If there is an us vs. them mentally cops initiated it. The police have been and always will be the largest most dangerous gang in this country.

aeolist

Banned
this thread is basically #notallcops while ignoring the fact that the culture of policing in america is such that the "good" cops are always expected to cover for and back up the "bad" cops unconditionally and without a thought.

it is a problem with all cops, with the institution of cops at its most basic level in this country. we need more reporting on this until meaningful change is enacted, not less.

M3d10n

Prejudice breeds prejudice. When people are consistently and constantly treated by cops as potential criminals until proven otherwise based on their race and clothes they will inevitably start behaving the same towards cops.

You simply can't expect to change the population's reaction to police without changing the police first.

http://forums.officer.com/t200986-11/

Here is a forum for police officers. That is the page where they start discussing the video of the Dubose murder.

I am actually inclined to be sympathetic to the OP's point, but every time I go and read that forum, I'm reminded that "good" cops vehemently defending bad cops is a major, pervasive problem.

Infinite

Bothered more by the bullshit police are doing to citizens than the citizens expressing resentment over it. Texas police raped a woman because they thought they smelled weed coming from her car. Shit like that deserves our contempt and scorn.

People aren't "anti-police". Many are anti-racist. It just happens that our (US) police force is super racist.

Edit: There's also their poor training paired with increasing militarization. Or the fact they actively ignore internal issues because of their 'us vs them' mentality. These and other need some serious discussion and correction before more people will feel safe and secure around police..

They might do it for the right reasons, but they quickly become part of the corrupted root and begin to actively protect the bad/rotten elements.

And there's a reason why people are so anti police in the US. The same feeling doesn't exist in the UK so far as I know. Treat the people you're meant to serve and protect with respect and they'll respond in kind.

Black people in the UK are very anti-police. My family don't fuck with them at all. Nor do any of my black friends, and it's pretty much for the same reasons as black people having problems with the police in the US, minus all of the killings.

SummitAve

Banned
Only when people hurl valid criticism at the entirety of police as if there isn't over 12,000 different police departments operating around the country. It makes no sense.

marrec

Banned
People around the internet and especially on this forum aren't "anti-police", we are however against the current way policing is done in America. From the training to the obvious racial bias to the shocking and terrifying rise of private police forces with full powers... the obvious and dangerous militarization of the police... it's an issue that needs to be addressed.

shanafan

No problem with the police because I choose to pay attention to laws, and unfavorable situations that may involve the police. Would I go to a block party involving over 200 people? Probably not. Would I attend a protest? Probably not. If the police did decide to pull me over, would I run? No.

Live a lifestyle that won't attract the police, and you should be pretty much OK with everything.

How do they know what is a dangerous situation and what isn't? For them anything can turn dangerous.

The Huffington Post thinks otherwise... http://www.huffingtonpost.com/blake-fleetwood/how-dangerous-is-police-w_b_6373798.html

It is so far left that I can't honesty take their articles seriously.

marrec

Banned
How do they know what is a dangerous situation and what isn't? For them anything can turn dangerous.

Shouldn't they attempt to de escalate a situation away from deadly violence? Sure, they should have a sidearm, absolutely, but pulling a gun during a traffic stop when the guy won't open his door?

You're just seeing a lopsided view of the situation because we don't have five threads a day celebrating cops that do good things and don't violate people's rights.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
People aren't "anti-police". Many are anti-racist. It just happens that our (US) police force is super racist.
"Does anyone else feel bothered by how anti-racist things have gotten online?"
No problem with the police because I choose to pay attention to laws, and unfavorable situations that may involve the police. Would I go to a block party involving over 200 people? Probably not. Would I attend a protest? Probably not. If the police did decide to pull me over, would I run? No.

Live a lifestyle that won't attract the police, and you should be pretty much OK with everything.
"if people would just stop being black right now everything would be fine"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom