• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone keep forgetting The Simpsons Movie exists?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElTopo

Banned
I think the movie is "pretty good." 7 or maybe 8 out of 10. Not quite as good as the peak years of the show but way better than the later seasons.

It kinda' pales in comparison to the South Park movie but to be fair, the South Park movie came at the all time peak of the show.

SKINNER!

Banned
Yeah, I keep forgetting it exists. Probably because it was nowhere near as original and unique as it was hyped up to be.

Take the South Park movie in comparison, they went with the whole musical angle and I still remember it exists.

As far as a Simpsons Movie released in 2007 goes its actually pretty good. Not an all time classic or anything but it's more Season 9, than the seasons that follow, not as good as the peak, but still perfectly watchable and enjoyable.

Dishwalla

Banned
^how can you hate one of the best written television shows of all time? like i can understand maybe indifference, but i can't see anything to hate in the first eight or so seasons.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
Yeah, I keep forgetting it exists. Probably because it was nowhere near as original and unique as it was hyped up to be.

Take the South Park movie in comparison, they went with the whole musical angle and I still remember it exists.

The South Park film is still very watchable.

ElTopo

Banned
Or remember how Milhouse was supposed to be Lisa's love interest after 17 years of build-up, but a test screening didn't respond to it, so it was changed to some random european kid.

I agree with that change. I don't know why the writers keep trying to pair Lisa with Milhouse.

I thought Spiderpig was pretty funny.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'm a huge classic/real the Simpsons fan and I haven't watched it yet. I really don't trust that series anymore. Why bother tarnishing it even more!?

Same. I've seen maybe the first 15 minutes or so but I've never watched it. Not even being an elist fan or anything, the movie just slipped by me.

It's actually sorta odd because I forget they even made a movie, like the OP mentions. After years of watching the show, I should have been all over the movie. But I think I was already past watching the show on a weekly basis when the movie came out.

For as big as the franchise is, the movie totally get forgotten. Probably one of those things that should have been made years before.

Other end of the spectrum is Beavis and Butthead Do America. Anytime I hear someone talk about the show, we end up talking about the movie.

Mendrox

It is pretty crazy that it came out 9 years ago.

What the fuck!!! Almost 10 years?! Where are the years? ;__; I remember watching it with my dad cause we watched Simpsons together every day on Prosieben. Aaaand Pokemon release in that timeframe and he bought that too. Love you dad.

Movie was okay as far as I remember. :)

Fluvian

Banned
I work with autistic kids for a living, they love that fucking movie so I constantly have to put it on for the class. Seriously if I have to watch that shit one more time I'm quitting.

I don't know. It had some good points (one of my biggest faves being the song that's being used when Marge and Homer first meet) but it tries too hard to do that weird hollywood humor it's absurd. That's not what the Simpsons are about.

What the fuck!!! Almost 10 years?! Where are the years? ;__; I remember watching it with my dad cause we watched Simpsons together every day on Prosieben. Aaaand Pokemon release in that timeframe and he bought that too. Love you dad.

Movie was okay as far as I remember. :)

Also this ^

SKINNER!

Banned
The South Park film is still very watchable.

Well yeah, there's that too. Catchy songs too. There were elements to that movie that didn't scream "TV Movie".

You could say the same about Batman: Mask of the Phantasm. Memorable and praised because it didn't feel like another episode that was just expanded.

liquidtmd

Banned
Well yeah, there's that too. Catchy songs too. There were elements to that movie that didn't scream "TV Movie".

As a full blown musical it was something else - Uncle Fucka and Blame Canada were a riot to see in the cinema. Here in the UK audiences were crying out in laughter collectively at the showing I was at and I can't recall any other film in my 33 years to hook a cinema audience to do it so well

PaulloDEC

I didn't mind it. Wasn't a fan of the "lol so random" spider-pig type humour, but I remember feeling like it had more of a heart than any of the TV episodes at the time.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I fucking hated it, definitely think it came waaay too late and was just a shitty (yet sucessful) cashgrab.

The whole EPA thing I thought was nonsense, with half the setup being Grampa's freakout in the church feeling really weird and forced cause they just needed someway to set it up and have lost the ability to do good plot setups since like season 9.

President Shwarzenneger? Wolfcastle is already that character, another obvious show of pandering to the lowest to not harm box office.

Showing Bart's penis, Homer super blatant swearing.

Spider Pig, what the actual fuck was ever funny about this? Everyone at the time was singing that stupid Spider Pig song, none of it made any sense and I will never understand what about it was funny.

I watched it one time like 8 years ago and the more I think about it the more it really does just get on my tits.

EDIT: Another great example of lowest common pandering is the Moe's one on the previous page.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Ironically the TC is wrong off the bat as lots of fans were growing tired at the time and the movie was actually good.

I like it.

I liked it, but it definitely felt like a mix of old and new, so it was flawed for sure.
And don't get me wrong, it's good for me because my expectations were low - I expected season 11 and forward quality but there were actually things in the movie that reminded me of earlier episodes, not all of it though. It still had some modern Simpsons poison running through its veins. But it's probably the best thing to come out of that show since season 10.

It also had a really good Scorpio wannabe.
It's alright. Could have been shit tons worse.

Demy

aGwrNx0_700b_v1.jpg

kiguel182

I liked the movie (and spider-pig) back in the day.

In retrospective the movie could've taken more risks and be more close to the show than it was. I never rewatched it so I have no idea how it holds up.

JordanN

Banned
It was overhyped and forgettable. One of the rare times where delaying something because of "quality" results in the opposite.

Sanjuro

The Simpsons movie was great. Went to a midnight showing that had Simpsons trivia and things prior to the show. Had a lot of fun.

I watched it maybe a year or two after it came out. Wasn't terribly impressed or terribly offended. Forgettable. I'd stopped watching the show years before anyway. I remember hearing Spider Pig jokes for way way longer than seemed reasonable afterwards.

Almost everything I remember about the film comes from either the trailers or the awful merch push that surrounded the film, like the conversion of 7-Eleven into Kwik-E-Mart and the terrible simpsons-branded food they hawked there. They still sell that awful donut, too.

Garlador

I watched it maybe a year or two after it came out. Wasn't terribly impressed or terribly offended. Forgettable. I'd stopped watching the show years before anyway. I remember hearing Spider Pig jokes for way way longer than seemed reasonable afterwards.

"Forgettable" is the correct answer.

The movie just felt like a really long, stretched-out episode.

All I recall is Spider-pig, President Schwarzenegger, Bart skating without clothes, and a very ill-fitting scene of Marge having an emotional breakdown message for Homer.

But it made a ton of money and broke a few records, so it was a big deal at the time, I guess.

woodypop

Almost everything I remember about the film comes from either the trailers or the awful merch push that surrounded the film, like the conversion of 7-Eleven into Kwik-E-Mart and the terrible simpsons-branded food they hawked there. They still sell that awful donut, too.
I thought the 7-Eleven/Kwik-E-Marts were kinda cool. Garnered a lot of traffic.

seeing the Simpsons movie opening night with a theatre full of Simpsons fans is a top 10 movie moment for me. I think the movie is fine.

So what say you, GAF? Does the film have it merits after all? Is it an under-appreciated classic up there with the very best Simpsons episodes? Or does The Simpsons Movie deserve to be forgotten after all?

I didn't like the movie but to be honest I haven't liked the Simpsons since 1999. Seasons 1 to 8 are the best of the show, BY FAR. Maybe some chapters of season 9 and 10 can be included as honorary members of the Season 1-8 Club but the rest since Season 11? No way Jose.

I saw it with my friend and he was asleep during most of it. I forget what happened in the movie after them escaping the dome.

Nyx

All I remember from watching it in the cinema is that I absolutely hated the audience, cause everybody was laughing way too hard at not so funny jokes....

I don't like The Simpsons (as in, I'm not a fan of any of the seasons), but I really enjoyed the movie. I thought it was well received by fans of the classic seasons of the show at the time, so I'm surprised to see various negative things said here.

The commercials gave away all of the jokes besides the Bart skateboard sequence

There's a problem when you see a movie in theaters for the first time and kids are all singing the Spider Pig song right when it starts because it was in the trailers

Anth0ny

It felt like a good, long, modern Simpsons episode. I laughed, but it still didn't have that wit of seasons 1-8.

Blader

I liked it and thought it was the most/only worthwhile thing to come out of the franchise since, I don't know, season 11? A lot of "new Simpsons" to it but there was some stuff that made me laugh and actually surprised me (Marge leaving Homer, which has been done a hundred times since I think, but was acted in a surprisingly honest and broken down VA performance from Kavner).

I also haven't seen the movie in maybe 7-8 years so it could be much worse than I remember, but my lasting memory of it is that I mostly liked it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom