• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone keep forgetting The Simpsons Movie exists?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiggNife

It's totally fine, and has some good jokes. I enjoyed it. But it's just not on the same level as Season 2-8 Simpsons.

It's definitely one of the better things to come out of "modern" Simpsons but I'd still rather watch classic episodes like Marge vs. The Monorail and A Fish Called Selma which is exactly what I did last night

Like, damn, it is amazing how well Marge vs. The Monorail holds up. 23 years later and I'm still laughing at like 90% of the jokes. I don't think The Simpsons Movie has that kind of timelessness.

TheJoRu

What the hell? I thought most people really liked that movie. I know I enjoyed it a lot. Ultimately I think it started off better than it ended, but the characterization was more like the classic episodes, lots of great humour and very nice music. Some elements I didn't care for, like Lisa's 734th crush, this time on that "not Bono's son"-kid, but otherwise it was a enjoyable movie.

Savitar

I saw it in the theater with my father, everyone laughed at the jokes but I never once considered buying the film. It was as others said forgettable. Nothing from it really sticks out. It might have to do with how the film was done, I remember at the time when it was even discussed here people were pointing out there were different versions of the film, that one version that had been screened before hand was nothing like the final version.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
It was okay. It had good animation and a few high points (such as Marge's video). But it also had a lot of very mediocre jokes and a couple of cringeworthy ones.

It was worth watching once but I don't think it holds a candle to a lot of the older episodes.

FairyD

I loved the film. It was great and the Tom Hanks cameo was splendid.

Better than those mediocre Futurama films and subsequent series.

Osahi

The penis gag is the only thing I remember from this movie (apart from one of the characters singing the 20th century fox theme and pushing the aspect ratio from acadamy to widescreen)

I though that joke was briliant.

Was honestly a lot better than I thought it would be considering the quality of the show itself at the time.
Plus I'm always down for an A Brooks voiced character.
Unfortunately it runs out of steam so the later half is lacking in particular.

Drencrom

If only the made a movie back in the late 90s instead or something...

It's definitely not bad or anything, it's was okay and a bit underwhelming.

GAF keep using this picture so I keep remembering it.
angry-mob.jpg

Was it really necessary to have EVERY character carrying a torch? Just looks like an ugly sea of fire.

Nightbird

You know it felt like a extended, long, regular episode of the Simpsons.

That's probably it can be forgotten so easily.

JordanN

Banned
The penis gag is the only thing I remember from this movie (apart from one of the characters singing the 20th century fox theme and pushing the aspect ratio from acadamy to widescreen)

I though that joke was briliant.

Isn't Bart a kid? Why would they make a joke about his dick?

O4WpIM1.gif

It's not bad but there's classic episodes that feel bigger and more important than the story in this movie. Overall, I remember liking it but I haven't seen in since it came out on DVD.

It's better than most episodes from season 12 and beyond

Yup. This movie came out right during or right after one of the absolute WORST set of seasons the Simpsons ever had. The bar was so, so low when I went to watch it in theaters.

In comparison, this movie was actually OK. Some jokes were awful (Spider-Pig and Maggie saying "sequel" during the credits) but some parts were great (Marge's video to Homer cutting to them dancing to The Carpenters' "Close to You"). It was like a Season-11-tier episode.

Apparently, the Simpsons has at least gotten slightly better in its most recent seasons.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
I watched it a couple of years after it came out and laughed once or twice. I don't think its terrible, but I'd never watch it again.

It's somewhere between disappointing and meh to me. It came out way too late in the show's lifespan that I didn't even care enough to see it in theaters. Vastly inferior to South Park's film which came out at a perfect time in the series and is completely rewatchable and hilarious.

I'm a massive fan of Classic Simpsons. I only really watched like 20 minutes of the movie. It didn't grab me and the humor struck me as very modern-Simpsons, even if somewhat refined.

dyergram

I was actually pleasantly surprised by how good it was tbf. I expected it to be terrible judging by modern episodes. In the end it was just ok, your right about Arnie though I cant fathom why they didn't bill it as Arnold Schwarzenegger as Rainer Wolfcastle....

When this came out, I watched it with my friend before we snuck into Transformers. I actually stayed awake for The Simpsons and slept halfway through Transformers despite loud explosions.

I will never forget this movie.

I had already given up on "modern Simpsons" by the time the movie came out, but I kept hearing how the movie was so good "it was as good as the classic episodes" so I went in expecting something along those lines.

No. It may have been a step up from the series at that time, but it doesn't come anywhere near close to the quality of the first few seasons. It's still very much "modern Simpsons" in style, pacing, and characterization.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It was okay. Not the best. But not terrible.

But it should have been Scorpio instead of Cargill, Wolfcastle instead of Schwarzenegger and anyone except for Green Day instead of Green Day.

therapist

it was meh , just like the simpsons past ~ season 9 - forgettable

wasn't a bad movie or anything , but wasn't even near anything special

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Meanwhile, the South Park movie was phenomenal. The TV show reimagined as a big musical extravaganza. It even won an Oscar for its song.

Not fair though, because it came out during that show's first burst of creativity. The equivalent for Simspons would be a movie coming out in 1992.

Addi

I remember being disappointed by the dramaturgy of the movie compared to the episodes. Episodes often started at one weird place and ended somewhere completely different, that was a lot of the charm of the series for me. The movie was more Hollywoodian in it's composition and therefore much more predictable (some bullshit "we have to save Springfield"-plot)

Meanwhile, the South Park movie was phenomenal. The TV show reimagined as a big musical extravaganza. It even won an Oscar for its song.

Not fair though, because it came out during that show's first burst of creativity. The equivalent for Simspons would be a movie coming out in 1992.

They were kicking around ideas for a movie and were heavily considering Kamp Krusty's script until they concluded that they couldn't fit it to a theatrical length.

Kamp Krusty incidentally aired in 1992 :p

DarkKyo

I saw it in theaters with my dad and brother, so it has a good memory attached to it for me. The movie itself was okay, but it wasn't anything special and was many miles away from what made the Simpsons so good in its prime.

Fuchsdh

Wow, some harsh opinions of the movie. I liked it a lot, and thought that would have been the right time to end the series—keep doing movies where you could move the characters forward a little instead of them remaining trapped in amber.

Rated-G

I really enjoy the movie, still. It has some great animation and vocal performances. I love the moments of Bart trying to bond with Flanders. There are a lot of jokes that I still remember well, like the innocent family that looks like Bart's markup of the wanted poster, Homer's face pasted onto Michael Jordan's body in his wallet, the Disney animal undressing, Marge yelling "SOMEBODY THROW THE GODDAMN BOMB!"... I actually might have to rewatch today. The commentaries are great too.

My only real disappointment with the film is that the Itchy and Scratchy short at the beginning of the film feels incredibly tame violence and gore-wise compared to what they show on almost any episode of the show on TV. There's a shot of internal organs flying around from and explosion, but there's no blood or any of the crazy, almost Happy Tree Friend's level of ridiculousness that Scratchy typically endures. He gets stabbed a few times, his eyeball is expanded from decompression in space, then he gets filled with misses and the explosion takes place off screen for the most part.

Orbis

Put me in the minority of enjoying it. Like most people I can't stand the more recent TV series but the movie feels very different.

Slight correction: South Park was nominated for Blame Canada, but the Oscar went to Phil Collins for his song for Tarzan.

Trey and Matt responded by making Phil Collins a villain in a later episode who is constantly holding his Oscar. The episode ends with Collins unwillingly surfing a crowd with his Oscar shoved up his ass.

Faddy

Banned
I think the movie is "pretty good." 7 or maybe 8 out of 10. Not quite as good as the peak years of the show but way better than the later seasons.

It kinda' pales in comparison to the South Park movie but to be fair, the South Park movie came at the all time peak of the show.

The South Park movie came out after mid-season 3 which was nowhere near the peak of the show. That is pre Timmy, pre Scott Tenorman. There were good episodes but not peak single greatest episodes and the show was uneven week to week.

But maybe it was sensible to do it then before they had established a huge cast of characters. e.g Randy and Butters are still basically a background characters.

The Simpsons movie OTOH there had too many cameo characters too fit in and maybe that is why the bulk of the story is set outside Springfield because they couldn't make the vast array of characters they created work in a movie format. Or they felt it would seem too much like an extended episode if they kept it within the usual confines of the show.

And really that is the failure of the Simpsons movie, it isolates us to the five Simpsons but never gives us an interesting narrative. There are never any stakes and from the time they leave the dome the inevitability of them going back means the whole middle act is filler.

Slight correction: South Park was nominated for Blame Canada, but the Oscar went to Phil Collins for his song for Tarzan.

Trey and Matt responded by making Phil Collins a villain in a later episode who is constantly holding his Oscar. The episode ends with Collins unwillingly surfing a crowd with his Oscar shoved up his ass.
Hahaha I did not know that's why he was so crudely portrayed in that episode.

Hackworth

I thought it was pretty funny when I watched it, but I don't think I've seen it since so whatever.
Compared to classic episodes it just isn't as interesting.

Hatchtag

Banned
Hahaha I did not know that's why he was so crudely portrayed in that episode.

They actually made fun of him the whole season.

I think the Simpsons movie is okay, but yeah, South Park movie blows it out of the water. Probably the best animated tv show to movie adaptation. Hell, probably the best tv show to movie adaptation. It's kinda funny that the Simpsons was afraid to copy an episode plot with its movie, but South Park just blatantly did so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom