• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone keep forgetting The Simpsons Movie exists?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyperbole

Banned
I liked it. The intro was totally on point and I laughed throughout. Simpsons has pretty much made fun of everything at this point. It's hard to come up with 2 hours of fresh material that's not just based around the latest pop culture.

cacildo

Its one big modern simpsons episode

Which is terrible

Yeah, I keep forgetting it exists. Probably because it was nowhere near as original and unique as it was hyped up to be.

Take the South Park movie in comparison, they went with the whole musical angle and I still remember it exists.

True. I dont even like South Park but i remember the South Park movie a lot more than the simpsons movie

Machine

I bought the limited edition soundtrack just for the plastic donut. Don't judge me.

simpsons-soundtrack.jpg

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I kinda liked it. I mean, it's not great or anything, but it was miles better than the awful mess the show had turned into by that time. I was expecting the movie to suck as much as the current episodes, so it being mildly funny was a pleasant surprise, albeit a short-lived one as the TV series was still terrible. I left the cinema feeling satisfied.

Demy

The show did better. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdEpjGlwsWQ

Homer: Little Theo, you grew up before our eyes.
Bart: Hey Dad, how come they're taking The Cosby Show off the air?
Homer: Because Mr. Cosby wanted to stop before the quality suffered.
Bart: Quality, shmuality! If I had a TV show I'd run that sucker down to the ground!
Homer: Amen, boy. Amen.

O wow. Was that part of the Tracey Ullman show? That's really prophetic of the writers if so.

rekameohs

Banned
The Simpsons Movie was surprisingly really good. Not even close to the peak of the series, but pretty impressive since it was smack dab in the middle of modern shit Simpsons.

I guess I have kind of forgotten about it. But I liked it quite a bit both times I watched it, and do own the Blu-ray.

Man, it looked great on Blu-ray.

I haven't really watched The Simpsons in years, though. Got sick of it, I guess.

B.K.

O wow. Was that part of the Tracey Ullman show? That's really prophetic of the writers if so.

No. That clip was added to the end of Three Men and a Comic Book from season two in a rerun in 1992 after it was announced The Cosby Show was ending.

120v

it was surprisingly okay.

it's just after decades of waiting for a simpsons movie you'd think they'd bring more to the table.

i mean, springfield vs. the EPA? ... really?

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
I remember coming out thinking that it was pretty good for modern Simpsons standards, but still nowhere close to the classic episodes.

i still haven't seen it and don't feel any need to. Basically every reaction to it ranges from "it sucks" to "it's alright...for a new episode...if you don't mind it being stretched out for an hour and a half".

Everything I've read about it though, it seemed like they wanted to make a movie for people that have no experience with the simpsons, rather than just going nuts with the extended format. Compare it to South Park's movie and its night and day.

Or remember how Milhouse was supposed to be Lisa's love interest after 17 years of build-up, but a test screening didn't respond to it, so it was changed to some random european kid.

I'll also never understand how Spiderpig became so popular. People were almost choking of laughter when I saw it.

I too remember hotly anticipating the film as a huge Simpsons fan, but came away disappointed at how unfocused and scatterbrained the story was. It had a few good laughs though, but not much else.

Because if you give children and idiots a catchy tune that makes fun of pop culture phonomena (in this case the then on top of the world spiderman movies) the idiots, children, and idiot children will laugh. All that being said, i still like this movie, i enjoyed it when it came out and still enjoy it.

Strike

I saw it once in theaters and haven't seen it since. That said, it was easily the best thing to come from them in years. Not great, but okay.

It was mediocre based on it's own merritts, and frankly awful for a Simpsons movie.

I'm shocked at the number of people here who think it's good film.

I loved it when it came out.

I don't remember all of it, but I also don't remember much of anything from 2007.

But I did remember I had a great time at the movies.

ZeroX03

Banned
Julie Kavner killed the emotional stuff.

I like it. I don't S3-8 love it, but it's very respectable when you're writing a show that's done everything it could possibly do, and to a standard that could never possibly meet again.

Jawmuncher

It was at least nice seeing 2D style animation on the big screen. Surprised they didn't do a sequel considering it was a financial success. I figure they're just bidding time until the series finale. End the series on TV and then really end it in theaters.

I do remember the big issue with the movie was that it just felt like a longer episode (which is usually the problem with TV shows becoming films). I remember the season after the movie didn't even mention the movie or it did barely.

Joni

It was at least nice seeing 2D style animation on the big screen. Surprised they didn't do a sequel considering it was a financial success. I figure they're just bidding time until the series finale. End the series on TV and then really end it in theaters.

I do remember the big issue with the movie was that it just felt like a longer episode (which is usually the problem with TV shows becoming films). I remember the season after the movie didn't even mention the movie or it did barely.

I think it is more of an issue that it takes so long to get off the ground.

I watched it a couple times. Once in theaters and a few times on DVD. I enjoyed it, but I haven't actually watched The Simpsons. I've seen it at doctor's offices and stuff but I was always overwhelmed about where to start and what was the 'good stuff' to watch and what was the bad.

I did have a comic book when I was younger that was The Simpsons though. It had like a collection of comics and stories from Matt Groening intermingled between the comics themselves. I loved it and read it a lot. My boyfriend got me a new copy maybe two birthdays ago to keep so I can read it and see it without all the graffiti kid-me added.

I thought it was a solid movie and kinda funny! But maybe I also just like bad movies, haha.

I watched it a couple times. Once in theaters and a few times on DVD. I enjoyed it, but I haven't actually watched The Simpsons. I've seen it at doctor's offices and stuff but I was always overwhelmed about where to start and what was the 'good stuff' to watch and what was the bad.

I did have a comic book when I was younger that was The Simpsons though. It had like a collection of comics and stories from Matt Groening intermingled between the comics themselves. I loved it and read it a lot. My boyfriend got me a new copy maybe two birthdays ago to keep so I can read it and see it without all the graffiti kid-me added.

I thought it was a solid movie and kinda funny! But maybe I also just like bad movies, haha.
This is actually really impressive to have avoided watching something as culturally prevalent as The Simpsons, especially if you're in the US.

Start with season 2 and watch through season 9. It's more or less considered the golden age of the show (with many putting the cutoff at season 8, but I consider them very picky. There are some great eps in season 9)

Watch seasons 1 and 10 afterwards only of you've become a fan. Season 1 is very rough, and should only be consumed out of interest in the show's rocky debut on prime time. Season 10 is the undeniable descent into Modern Simpsons and what is known as "Jerk ass Homer". That said, there are still some highlights worth your time.

I'm jealous that you can still experience these episodes for the first time.

Mr. Sam

It was a slap in the face of classic Simpsons fans, and not only because it was shit.

Maybe somebody can explain why they took Rainier Wolfcastle, thought "Maybe people haven't been getting the joke for the past two decades" and turned him into this shit:

hwYTL1l.jpg

I do think the description of the movie being just an episode with a longer run time are apt. The status quo hasn't changed and it doesn't do enough to differentiate itself from the show and justify the 20 years it took to actually get a movie.

UberTag

It delivered plenty of fan service but I'm honestly not a fan outside of the brilliant animation. I barely care to re-watch the film and I've even happily watched some HD era episodes a half dozen times or more at this point so that should say just about everything.

Julie Kavner killed the emotional stuff.
Yeah, the voice direction was excellent as well. They actually put extra effort into making the dialogue sound snappy compared with the basic gloss-over we get in a lot of episodes. So excellent direction, half-baked/unfocused script with a lot of gags that were largely run into the ground.

Astral Dog

I think the movie was too "different" in that they wanted to make it different from modern Simpsons but its not really classic Simpsons humore either, ut something else.

The movie is weird, but at least there was the Spider Pig

Varna

Simpsons defined my childhood. Most of the jokes and quips I make today probably come from those initial 10 seasons (I still call cops police cops). The show probably shaped my entire sense of humor.

I had zero desire to see this movie on release and that still has not changed at all. Not even out of morbid curiosity.

This is actually really impressive to have avoided watching something as culturally prevalent as The Simpsons, especially if you're in the US.

Start with season 2 and watch through season 9. It's more or less considered the golden age of the show (with many putting the cutoff at season 8, but I consider them very picky. There are some great eps in season 9)

Watch seasons 1 and 10 afterwards only of you've become a fan. Season 1 is very rough, and should only be consumed out of interest in the show's rocky debut on prime time. Season 10 is the undeniable descent into Modern Simpsons and what is known as "Jerk ass Homer". That said, there are still some highlights worth your time.

I'm jealous that you can still experience these episodes for the first time.
Thank you! I'll be sure to take note of this. I appreciate it. :) With shows that have lots of seasons its really overwhelming.

I think the reason that I didn't watch it was because I had to watch whatever my dad liked growing up, and that was either Cops or Family Guy. Mostly Family Guy. Too much Family Guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom