• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone miss God of War's old style?

Those sweeping, cinematic camera angles, always journeying to new places instead of revolving around a central hub, made you feel like you were on an epic journey.

And of course, the sex and violence.

The formula was definitely feeling stale with Ascension and the 2018 game's grounds eye view of crazy mythological shit and Zelda esque approach to the level design was definitely cool on it's own, not to mention I actually enjoyed 2018's combat more. than the admittedly repetitious combat of the old games.

And yet... and yet, I can't help but find myself missing the old style of the 2005-2013 games and kind of sad it's been abandoned for Sony's standard "over the shoulder" camera.

I think a good middle ground would be expanded remakes of the PSP games, billed as Krato's "lost adventures", I still can't believe they wasted Atlantis as a setting on a PSP game.

Does anyone else feel the same way?

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
the old ones basically is an action game, i bought every sequel except the psp and ascension, had my fun but feels like it plays the same always.

clarky

Gold Member
Yeah I'm one of the weirdo's that thought the reboot wasn't that great, still not finished it. I'll be having another crack before the new one come out to decide if I buy it or not.

Definitely prefer the old ones. Although the rose tinted spec's might be in operation as I've not played them since back in the day.

Fbh

Yes and no.

I loved Gow 2018 and think it's better than the old games in many ways. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss some of the over the top spectacle of Gow3.
I was left waiting for that "Holy Shit" moment and it never came. That early Baldur fight seemed like an encouraging sign of things to come but instead the over the top fights in the game sort of peak at that point.

The one thing I want from Ragnarok is more visually spectacular fights. If I'm taking down Thor and Odin it better feel like I'm not just fighting some strong dude.

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
This year I played the first 2 God of war games on a CRT with a PS2 after a long time. God of war 2 looks insane.

It's very annoying how Sony forgets about their legacy. Those games were great and deserve to be played on modern platforms.

Today I learned that an Atlantis setting was wasted on a PSP GoW title.
Atlantis was originally meant to be in God of War 2 but was cut, then reused for the second PSP game.

It wasn’t wasted, it was fantastic.
I admit Ghosts of Sparta is the only game in the series I haven't played.

I'm sure it's fine, but the PSP had worse graphics than the PS2, Atlantis would have been a better fit on PS2 or PS3 imo.

Ascension kind of burnt me out on that format so am glad they made the change.

That said, the epic battles, fatalities, and sex/nudity should return.
Like I said, Ascension was good but you could definitely tell the old formula was getting stale.

It needed a shake up, but does the old style have to be abandoned forever? It's been almost a decade since Ascension.

As for the sex/nudity, one "classy" way they could do that is have a flashback sex scene between Kratos and his wife, certainly even the Woke wouldn't object to a sex scene between a married man and woman, would they?

It'd also be great if Thor or Odin had a harem of nude viking girls just to show what sleazebags they are.

Yes and no.

I loved Gow 2018 and think it's better than the old games in many ways. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss some of the over the top spectacle of Gow3.
I was left waiting for that "Holy Shit" moment and it never came. That early Baldur fight seemed like an encouraging sign of things to come but instead the over the top fights in the game sort of peak at that point.

The one thing I want from Ragnarok is more visually spectacular fights. If I'm taking down Thor and Odin it better feel like I'm not just fighting some strong dude.
The biggest "wow" moments for me were jormungandr and the dead giant, but all in all it definitely lacked the epic set pieces of the other games or levels like the temple of Pandora, lots of snow, caves, some of it cool, but a lot of it a bit ho hum, the older games definitely tried to have a wider variety of places you visit.

Ryu Kaiba

Never saw the appeal of the old ones, Kratos back then just seem like a shallow one note screaming brute made to cater soley to teenagers that like button mashing.
The new style made me care.

Raonak

Banned
lol No. The only thing that I miss from the old games were the set pieces, but looks like ragnarok is fixing that.

Young kratos was such a dumb character, you're basically playing the villian in those games.
The combat was very mashy and imprecise. I always hated the analog stick dodging in the old games with no iframes
and the fact that the game was only designed with the blades of chaos and every other weapon was garbage.

Personally, I actually liked the PSP games the best out of the old GOW.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The gameplay in the new one is far more technical and engaging.

I do miss the epic boss battle set pieces, too few in 2018, and I hope they remedy that for Ragnarök.

Last edited:
Let them make the order 1887 while they are at it. Too bad they got bought by facebook and are stuck making crappy vr games.
They made so much sense as a Sony studio, the way Sony handled The Order being a flop is pretty absurd in retrospect. It's like they were unaware at that point of how hard making AAA games at this level of detail was, it was a studio that previously was making PSP games and Sony rushed the game out of the door. All their PSP games were bangers.

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
I always though God of War would have lent itself to an Action RPG Diablo style of a game pretty well.

Skifi28

Gold Member
I don't miss them as I can go back and play them any time I want. GoW3 I still my favourite, but I also dig the new style. My only complaint is Sony not showing love for the older games. They should make them available on modern platforms(natively) and patch GoW3 that is stuck at 1080p.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

The old style was more of an adventure - tons of areas - always something new to see. Very videogame-y.
The new style feels more grounded, mature, cinematic, and sophisticated.
However - ALL the GoWs have gameplay as deep as a puddle and have no replay value whatsoever. None.
For 3rd person action, Ninja Gaiden 1/2 and DmC 3/4/5 they aint.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Combat wise GOW 2018 is better than old GOW in every way.

But I do miss old God of War’s aesthetics and gore, I feel like GOW 2018 was trying too had to be more grounded/realistic and to me it’s aesthetics felt more dull compare to old GOW games.

002450s010.jpg
large.jpg

Another thing is old God of war had more fun and interesting enemy designs.
5691254955_2cffa96759_z.jpg
5691252085_8232cf6d12_z.jpg
7694433436_67c97d3709_z.jpg

Meanwhile most enemies in GOW 2018 look very dull in my opinion.
Hel-Reaver_Lord.png
EuuYL7zVgAI-_je.jpg

Nightmare.png

As for sex, I'm sorry I dont miss it and just doesn't make sense Kartos start having sex with random woman this time around.

Last edited:
in the old ones, you're casually ripping part people with your bare hands and smashing in heads by the hundreds. you're the god of war.
in the new ones, you're juggling enemies with an axe, and regular enemies can put up a fight. you're mr magical strong old guy.

Last edited:

Mabdia

Played all the games from the franchise. Except that one to smartphones.

And the worst of wall, to me, is that 2018 game. Don't get me wrong, it is a fun game at some points. But it's no as much as the other games.

I really miss old GOWs, it was way better and fun to play. When I played GOW2018 it was like coming to work to do some boring chore. Some amazing moments, but the game is way too long and have too much boring moments.

To me the best one story wise and gameplay is the Ascension. People hated it, but of all games, it is the best one. And to achieve it might have been a hellish work, since GOW 3 is just amazing. Orkos is one of the best characters of the series.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Katajx

Combat wise GOW 2018 is better than old GOW in every way.

But I do miss old God of War’s aesthetics and gore, I feel like GOW 2018 was trying too had to be more grounded/realistic and to me it’s aesthetics felt more dull compare to old GOW games.

002450s010.jpg
large.jpg

Another thing is old God of war had more fun and interesting enemy designs.
5691254955_2cffa96759_z.jpg
5691252085_8232cf6d12_z.jpg
7694433436_67c97d3709_z.jpg

Meanwhile most GOW 2018 look very dull in my opinion.
Hel-Reaver_Lord.png
EuuYL7zVgAI-_je.jpg

Nightmare.png

As for sex, I'm sorry I dont miss it and just doesn't make sense Kartos start having sex with random woman this time around.
Yes, this is my problem as the tech keeps improving.

The designs feel too grounded, real, and everything has to be believable and make sense.

Feels like it’s moving more towards Hollywood instead of turning it to 11 and embracing it as fiction and that it’s a video game.

If Sony had any sense they would've had Ready at Dawn creating another one in that style. They handled working with ND and SSM IPs so well on the PSP.
Let them make the order 1887 while they are at it. Too bad they got bought by facebook and are stuck making crappy vr games.
They made so much sense as a Sony studio, the way Sony handled The Order being a flop is pretty absurd in retrospect. It's like they were unaware at that point of how hard making AAA games at this level of detail was, it was a studio that previously was making PSP games and Sony rushed the game out of the door. All their PSP games were bangers.
I REALLY wish Ready At Dawn had stayed with Sony.

Sony needs all the games they can get with the PS5, I don't get why they let RAD go.

Sony was stupid as shit not to give The Order another chance.

The old style was more of an adventure - tons of areas - always something new to see. Very videogame-y.
That's what I liked about it, 2018 definitely lacks the variety of say the first game, where you go from Athens to desert to the temple of Pandora and beyond.

Top Bottom