• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone miss God of War's old style?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I REALLY wish Ready At Dawn had stayed with Sony.

Sony needs all the games they can get with the PS5, I don't get why they let RAD go.

Sony was stupid as shit not to give The Order another chance.

That's what I liked about it, 2018 definitely lacks the variety of say the first game, where you go from Athens to desert to the temple of Pandora and beyond.

Yeah, but GOW3 also lacked that big time compared to the first two games. Which made sense since that game's story was all about scaling the mountain, but still.

Last edited:
I miss the bosses of the old God of War that's for sure. But the combat was very repetitive and finally I never liked the blades gameplay, even back then it never clicked for me (but the settings, bosses were awesome obviousy).

What they clearly need in Ragnarok is the return of epic bosse battles (battles with an s, not just for the final combat).

mxbison

GoW 3 is one of my favorite games ever, so yeah.

Also it had great combat, you could do some really sick stuff with the mid combo weapon switching. It's not the games fault some people only used one combo, that works in the majority of action games.

I liked the new one and I'm looking forward to Ragnarok, but I'd love to go a little back to the roots in the future.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Not a fan of the new style but no I don’t miss it. The old style got 4 games and 2 portable prequels, it was time to move on.

Pelta88

God of War 3. Best boss battles ever.

Facts! I remember playing through GOW3 and thinking two things above all else.

1. How the fuck is this even possible
2. The future of gaming is bright

But GOW 2018 is on an entirely different echelon entirely. And in truth, that's exactly how it should be.

skit_data

Both are good. I replayed GoW 1-3 + Ascension recently and they still are a spectacle to behold. I miss it sometimes, hence the replay, but I wouldn’t say I’d rather have the old style instead of the new. They provide different experiences.

therealmoonface

Neo Member
I’m hoping GoW 2018 is like the OG GoW where it’s more about building the base, the boss battles in the very first game were few but great but that felt very different from GoW 3 where the boss battles were plentiful, varied, and spectacular to watch/play. I got burnt out playing GoW 2018 probably around the 3/4 mark but looking at the story leaks has me still wanting to try Ragnorak. But I would still love an old school GoW style game again, maybe a smaller spin off game that expands on the time between Ascension and 2018.

I have no doubt an "Order 2" would've been great
They were a great fit for working on a new Jak and Daxter, taking over Uncharted or working on a God of War spin-off as well if a sequel for The Order wasn't an option. Now they are stuck under Facebook and most studio take longer to make an new AAA game than Ready at Dawn did when they had to rush their game out.

Last edited:

Rat Rage

Gold Member
You mean the time when the main character was actually portrait as a badass God of War with a testosterone level of over 9000 an not some bearded lame-ass father with a kid who was only created because the game's marketing department wanted a character closer to the typical 30 to 40 year old Playstation demographic?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
What happened to remastering everything? God of war ps2 is literally the ideal candidate the essence of a game that should be remastered
kratos GIF

Vick

It surely is puzzling how the narrative changed on this series.

For an entire decade all you could read and hear in God of War discussions on the Internet was how the combat system sucked and was nothing more than a lite DMC, how the fixed camera was a limiting relic of the past which should have died forever once RE4 entered the market and was only used in this series to push graphics, how Kratos was a pathetic one dimensional character with no depth whatsoever who's literally destroying entire pantheons because he couldn't sleep well, or how these games where shallow and short overrated action games.
Everyone old enough can surely recall such "pleasant" memories of discussing God of War on the Internet.

Now Santa Monica delivered a massive 95 Metacritic game with 95+ user Steam rating who managed to snatch GOTY from RDR2 and sell 20 million copies.. and the same kind of people are singing how much they miss the old games and hate the new direction.

tom-cruise-laughing-gif.gif

Last edited:
I liked it back then but I don't miss it, and I'd had enough of angry/revenge Kratos so I didn't bother with Ascension.

And then 2018 has the leviathan axe - one of the best weapons in any game - that feels a lot better than the blades ever did. Plus there's more freedom in how you approach encounters.

But it's not like SSM completely abandoned everything they did in the pass, they just evolved the ip.

tygertrip

It surely is puzzling how the narrative changed on this series.

For an entire decade all you could read and hear in God of War discussions on the Internet was how the combat system sucked and was nothing more than a lite DMC, how the fixed camera was a limiting relic of the past which should have died forever once RE4 entered the market and was only used in this series to push graphics, how Kratos was a pathetic one dimensional character with no depth whatsoever who's literally destroying entire pantheons because he couldn't sleep well, or how these games where shallow and short overrated action games.
Everyone old enough can surely recall such "pleasant" memories of discussing God of War on the Internet.

Now Santa Monica delivered a massive 95 Metacritic game with 95+ user Steam rating who managed to snatch GOTY from RDR2 and sell 20 million copies.. and the same kind of people are singing how much they miss the old games and hate the new direction.

tom-cruise-laughing-gif.gif
Someone has a bad case of selective memory!

wvnative

I like the new style in terms of combat and that sorta, Sony 3rd person style cinematic game, I'm a sucker for that.

But I dislike how hard they went in on the RPG elements, too much slotting gems into weapon/armor slots for a +2% boost to defense or whatever. A simple skill tree is all they needed. Kratos shouldn't need to manage stats. Hoping it's toned down in ragnorak but it's probably gonna go the other way.

Also, Christopher Judge is awesome in the role no doubt, but I still find it disgusting they replaced TC Carson without even trying to see if he could pull off this new style game, I would have loved to see him again in a more story driven game.

Pejo

I like both types, but the new model leans heavily into current Sony cinematic focus. GoW2018 had much better combat than I expected before playing it though, and I don't hate the new direction. It'd be nice if they alternated back and forth every few games, but that'd probably give people GoW burnout and there's no way they'd make something like early GoWs with current day censorship/politics in mind.

Hugare

I enjoyed the old ones immensely, but GOW needed to change

We had almost 10 games with the same gameplay. That was more than enough.

"Old GOW gameplay, but now in norse mithology" wouldn't be enough.

Otherwise it would be like Gears of War today, a franchise in serious need of changes, but too affraid to do so, getting more irrelevant with each new entry

Instead, GOW sold almost 20M copies and Ragnarok is one of the most hyped games that I've seen in quite a while

SSfox

I'm still wondering how the fuck we still didn't get a remaster edition of Greek saga of ps23Vita games on PS5 at 4K/60 fps.

Meanwhile those jim and Hermen retards ported the last game on PC and release TLOU1 remake a game you already were able to play on PS4 and PS5 an ultra useless remake that nobody asked for.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
But I dislike how hard they went in on the RPG elements, too much slotting gems into weapon/armor slots for a +2% boost to defense or whatever. A simple skill tree is all they needed. Kratos shouldn't need to manage stats. Hoping it's toned down in ragnorak but it's probably gonna go the other way.
I definitely agree with this, I dont know why GOW needs to be RPG. I love rpgs but it doesn’t mean every fucking needs turn in to one.

The new GOW doesn't even have jumping.

I honestly don't mind about that at all.

Jumping alone still doesn't make old Gow gameplay better. It's just there for the combo or puzzle. You hardly find anyone share old GOW combo video but the new GOW videos is all over internet.

Old GOW is better for epic set pieces and overall design as someone above has pointed out. But of the combat gameplay new GOW is far more better.

It's my opinion and i get that why you like old GOW more. It's great series but i still like new one more.

Onimusha doesn't have jumping too and it's one of my favorite game of all time.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Yes, very much so.

But games have to evolve, so I totally get It. The new style is very enjoyable, so Im not upset or wishing for the old games. We got the games at some point, therefore I am happy the franchise is evolving.

I don't miss the restricted camera angles and screaming Kratos at all, I loved the first two games, 3 was a big letdown after the first two bosses, looked great but the story just wasn't told well and too much backtracking. I was so disappointed with 3 that I never played ascension. I like the deeper storytelling and Kratos doing more than just yelling at everyone. The sex stuff I couldn't care less, computer boobs do nothing for me and I find it embarrassing when people act as characters in games (male or female) are hot.

RetroAV

Fixed camera...Dumbass, immature Quan Chi-looking ass Kratos...Style over substance...No thanks. Don't miss those games one bit. :messenger_grimmacing_

Last edited:

Meifu

I miss the variety of weapons that playstyle allowed….hoping rag has more weps. Still, g
etting the blades of chaos in 2018
was badass

Last edited:

yurinka

I love the new style, I'd keep everything as it is now but I'd bring back the big ass set pieces from the old ones with huge ass enemies of insane scale and also would bring back the sex or nudity removed due to the Chinese Saudi American moral censorship. I'd also shave Kratos again.

I'd love to see all this back in GoWR but sadly won't happen.

Last edited:

synchronicity

Gold Member
Yes, I vastly prefer the original trilogy, Ascension and the PSP games over the 2018 reboot. Kratos was a fantastic video game character - unapologetically full of rage with an absolutely singular vision that translated so well to all the carnage on offer.

The new game, despite being a decent experience and audio-visually attractive, was just lacking an edge that I wanted and expected from this franchise. Dad of war is in no way what I was expecting or hoping for. I'm fine with the Norse setting, I just didn't care for the weak attempts at making Kratos more "real". It just wasn't nearly as fun as a video game.

I'll definitely wait for reviews to see how they align with what I want to play and/or a deep discount with Ragnarök, if/when I ever play it.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Loved the old one but no, I don‘t miss em. They ran their course. There is no need for more.

What I did hope was that they‘ll change up the new direction a bit more. I did love the new one but was so burnt out of it by the end that I just can‘t bring myself to be excited for Ragnarok. To me it looks like an add on.

Top Bottom