• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone miss God of War's old style?

I Master l

Banned
I’m of the opinion that people who prefer 2018’s gameplay are insane.

-half-assed RPG elements
-an annoying “one shot” camera for an “immersive” experience, except for the arrows to let you know an enemy is behind you, and the menu you have to access whenever you get a new piece of loot every 20 seconds, and the obvious loading masks, etc.
-(IMO) uncomfortable controls; no clue why throwing the axe and retrieving the axe are mapped to different buttons
-tons and tons of collectibles that makes it feel like Assassin’s Creed.
-I also personally think Kratos’ animations are a little too long to the detriment of the feel of combat.
-repetitive and annoying puzzles
-very slow pacing

Not insane but most of them were not really fans of the original god of war games nor
character action games

Last edited:

AndrewRyan

I know far more about greek mythology so appreciate the characters much more in the old series and more excited to face them. Though strongly prefer the gameplay in 2018 and even prefer the axe over blades.

Unpopular opinion but Ascension has the best combat by far. The sp campaign might not be as epic as 2 or 3 but that hook blade ability plus rage meter powers were sublime.
Ascension being stuck on PS3 at sub 60fps is the biggest shame about the GoW series rebooting.

For me, it might still be the best in the series combat-wise, even if it’s not as casual-friendly as GoW 2018.

Last edited:

Sybrix

YHBNVVI.gif

I loved the original games and will still play GoW 3 from time to time.

So I think that the best thing would be to remake GoW 1 + 2 with the control improvements from the PS3 ports and shiny new graphics (that would make a good cross gen candidate).

Now I'm replaying 2018 and I think it starts too slow in some ways, especially compared to 1, 2 and 3, where you get a good amount of heavy action before you get exposed to the story, but I get that may not work with the damn kid.

Mephisto40

Personally I thought the gameplay was pretty similar to the old games once you unlocked the Blades Of Chaos, it's just the views different

Top Bottom