• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Heat has the best street shootout ever filmed? *spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.

params7

Banned
Watched this movie for the first time two days ago. Not only one of the best heist movies I've ever seen, but that street shootout after the bank robbery scene - Holy hell. Amazing.

Stable camera with long cuts, no slow motion, no background music, the attention to detail when it comes to firearms (only thing that bothered me was De Niro's mags seem to appear out of nowhere). Just pure street standoff goodness between good cops and professional robbers.

I can't think of any movie with a more intense street shootout. The Ok Corral battle in Tombstone only comes close.

Divius

Probably. At least one of the best. Can't think of anything better of the top of my head.

tumblr_miyx9l5ysC1r04g55o1_500.gif

tumblr_miyx9l5ysC1r04g55o2_500.gif

Aww yiss tumblr gifs really capture essence of this scene

I don't know if Saving Private Ryan's Normandy scene really counts. That's not really a "shootout." :)

I kinda like Longbaugh & Parker vs. The Old Guys in Way of the Gun. But its' not better than Heat, no.

Ruprit

I don't know what they did to make their guns sound so amazing, and why others don't copy their technique.

Those were the sounds the guns made during filming. Originally, they got rid of that audio and replaced it with your standard Hollywood gun sounds but Michael Mann made them change it back. Collateral sounds the same because of that.

The gun shots echoing from the buildings really seals it.

I'm not saying that it's better than Heat, but my mind was definitely blown when I saw the
nuts shootout
in Inglourious Basterds for the first time.

I don't know what they did to make their guns sound so amazing, and why others don't copy their technique.
I think it's because they didn't do any post-filming dubbing. Those sounds are the actual blanks being shot. That's why the echoes are and all that are so good. They're actually happening.

Indeed one of the greatest action sequences committed to film. No hyperbole.

Actually saw it in the theater when I was a kid and it was unnerving as hell.

Conor 419

Banned
Exactly, That's the point. The police are completely caught off guard.

The police didn't look off guard at all, they had the better cover and there's more of them. In pretty much any real shootout ever, that would have given them a significant advantage.

params7

Banned
Just watched it

No, it's unreasonable, too one sided.

Not at all. Unlike other movies, cop cars aren't bullet sponges in this and the cops actually got injured as bullets straight pierced through their car. On the other side, they are supposed to be good shots but Sizemore's character was shot dead and Kilmer was badly injured.

In Tropa De Elite 2 there are three big action scenes that are all very well done. They capture the chaos and noise of the fight while always showing clearly what is going on. In the wild chaotic enviroment of the favelas this is quite impressive.

The whole movie is on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL3ybRR1oE0

Favela cleanup from 36:44
Tanque neighbourhood: 1:06:05
Final shootout: 1:40:46 (I'll forgive them the classic 'empty car blocks rifle fire')

I'm looking forward to Jose Pasilla's Robocop remake purely on his skill at shooting action scenes.

foxtrot3d

Banned
The police didn't look off guard at all, they had the better cover and there's more of them. In pretty much any real shootout ever, that would have given them a significant advantage.

Guess you've never heard of the real life North Hollywood Shootout.

GhaleonEB

They had pistols for a long range shootout, hid behind car doors, and were shot at with high powered automatic rifles that chewed right through their cover. They were overwhelmed by the firepower they were facing.

I need to see some of the films mentioned in the thread, but it's still the best shootout I've seen on film. The staging and clarity with which it's filmed are remarkable.

I didn't know that the audio was what was captured during production, but it makes sense. The impact and the way it echoes off the buildings feels incredibly authentic. I always loved how the music cuts out and it's just the sound of the gun battle, right until near the end.

AlexBasch

IIRC no one could hear their dialogue because of the shooting, dunno if it was Pacino or De Niro who said that, but I do recall reading that. :p

The only thing I could compare it to is Idi i Smotri. They used live ammo in that film and while the cinematography doesn't measure up to Heat, it is really fucking insane to see trees crack and fall from real explosions breaking them. It's on a whole different level.

AGO2J9D.png

You gotta see it. Beware though, this movie can mess you up.

Awesome scene. The film is a slow-burn up to that point, then everything explodes.

They had an ex member of the British SAS (Andy McNabb) in as a consultant, IIRC. The robbers are essentially performing a counter-ambush drill in a similar vein to how a small special ops team would. Apparently, USMC instructors would show this scene to recruits, noting Kilber's quick mag change, saying words to the effect of 'If a holywood actor can change mags like that you should be able to as well.'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom