• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Majora's Mask 3D have the best plot of any Zelda game?

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
After finishing GOTY 2015 Majora's Mask 3D, I think it does. Previously I thought that maybe it was Twilight Princess, or Skyward Sword for it's origin tale (or even Spirit Tracks having the best version of Princess Zelda) but the ending to MM3D made me legit tear up. Particularly the scene where
Skull Kid adds to the carving on the tree by adding Link as his friend
ohg2PqG.gif

It's one of my fave series, but no other Zelda game's plot has moved me that much. The atmosphere in the game, the bizarreness of Termina and it's inhabitants, the encroaching threat of the moon, the sympathetic villain. I really appreciated it a lot more in the Remake than I did in the original. It works as both a sequel to OOT and as a dark twist on the regular Zelda formula, I doubt we'll see something as unique as MM in this series again.

What do you think?

ynL5iK1.gif

Definitely. There's no mystery why Majora's Mask hold such a special place in the serie. Basically, people love their Nintendo stories and weird universe.

Grief.exe

The individual stories were actually the best part of the game. Story threads that you help push along from a beginning, middle, and end, whether good or tragic.

maxcriden

Yes, absolutely. That and Skyward are my favorite Zelda games. Man. The plotting is so friggin' good in MM and the 3DSmake really improves playability and streamlines the experiences with a lot of good QoL improvements. I hope you completed all the sidequests! Much of the enjoyment of the game is in them.

DNAbro

Yup. One of the best worlds in any game. The side characters really make the game something special other than just defeating ganon.

Crayolan

On the surface it's pretty simple but when you go a little deeper and see how what's happening in Termina impacts the people living there it's pretty outstanding. So yes.

I think so. It's the only Zelda game that's managed to make me really care about the characters and the world that they inhabit. There's a lot more to Majora's Mask than just stopping the big bad and saving the princess.

Syril

I had played the N64 version once way back when and even then I had noticed how much more attention they gave the writing compared to Ocarina of Time. It was probably the first time in the whole series that characters had any lines at all that weren't directly addressing Link. It was also the first one made after Shigeru Miyamoto stopped directing them, which I would normally write off as a coincidence, except for the documented recent cases where he actively pushed to diminish story in Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Paper Mario Sticker Star.

Grizzo

Absolutely

It's followed closely by Link's Awakening for me,
even though it had to resort to the corny "it was all a dream!!!!" ending. I thought it did in a clever way. Love the fact that Koholint will continue exist in Link's memories <3

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
It isn't hitting constant home runs or anything, but even today there really isn't anything else like it (in games). It's easily the the most memorable for me.

PSqueak

Banned
I could say it in the very least has the less cliche story and plot structure, that alone sets it apart from all the other zeldas that most of the time feel like slight variations of the same story, with exceptions like Link's Awakening (my personal favorite Zelda plot).

I guess the lesson is, Zelda games are best when they're not about Zelda but about Link instead.

Absolutely

It's followed closely by Link's Awakening for me,
even though it had to resort to the corny "it was all a dream!!!!" ending. I thought it did in a clever way. Love the fact that Koholint will continue exist in Link's memories <3

Well, the "twist" is right there in the game's name but the real twist is
It's all a dream...but it's not your dream! it's the Wind Fish's!

if you mean the main plot, then no, not really. it's all the little side stories that give it the unique and mysterious vibe majora's mask is known for.

main story isn't that great. one okay but short dungeon, two mediocre ones, and one great dungeon.

There's really no competition. The gap between Majora's Mask and the next best is really wide.

That said, Zelda games have weak plots and even weaker stories. MM is kind of the only one that doesn't.

I don't think there's ever been a game I WANTED to like more than this one. It has just never clicked for me, even after a third try on 3DS. It's like I can tell there's an amazing story, but the gameplay just doesn't work for me.

JD_Lars

My only complaint with the game is that countdown timer, and that's story related in a great way so it's hard to image the game being as good without it.

That being said it's still not my favorite Zelda game, but it probably does have one of the best stories.

It's something. The themes are on point. Still baffles me how quickly the game was made. I care about the events in that game and that's huge compared to most games where I just never really care about the characters or plot.

Technically, no. What you're saying is good about MM isn't really "the plot," since it isn't really a component of the organization of events in the story.

MM does play very nicely with themes and anecdotal side stories that supplement the plot, though. (The true meaning of the game's original "Zelda Gaiden" codename, perhaps?)

I tend to agree.Best story,side stories in a Zelda for me.It will always remain my favourite... Until the next one trumps it(fingers crossed).

Mr-Joker

Banned
Well consisdering that it's the only Zelda game that ends
with a Wedding
I say yes.

Majora's Mask is the best Zelda game ever.

Is there something different about the story in the 3DS than the original? Why specifically mention 3D and not the original?

Majora's Mask 3D is easier to get into than the original.

GenG3000

Indeed. The scenario is very nuanced and perfectly laid for interpretations. During the last playthrough in 3DS I got the impression that
Skullkid and Majora were victims too and were asking Link for help, to the point that they gave Link the power to obliterate the dark powers of the mask. It makes sense that, in a game that revolves around helping tortured people and souls, the final boss itself is the one most needed of help of them all.

Skullkid was alone, full of angst against Termina, and the mask gave him the means to realize his revenge, although he may have fought the mask unconciously. He still wanted friends, but Majora only knows how to interacts with people through pranks, like a spoiled child. He may have realized at some point that it only hurt people and that its existence was a cursed one.

Even if its role was one of a weapon to raze the land that rejected Skullkid, the moon is a physical representation of Majora Skullkid and it host a beautiful landscape full of children that question themselves the true meaning of friendship, showing innocence at its core. The moon even drops a single tear at the beginning of the cycle, like showing a kind of regret towards the inevitable end.

Of course, this is all just one possibility.

Dimmle

It depends on how engaged you are as a player. If you invest full interest into the game and digest every page of the Bomber's Notebook, you're going to see a world of vibrant, bizarre characters who are struggling under tragedy and denial.

I barely think of Majora's Mask as a Zelda game these days. It's unique enough and has been so rarely imitated that I categorize it with other singular works like Shadow of the Colossus.

Technically, no. What you're saying is good about MM isn't really "the plot," since it isn't really a component of the organization of events in the story.

MM does play very nicely with themes and anecdotal side stories that supplement the plot, though. (The true meaning of the game's original "Zelda Gaiden" codename, perhaps?)

This is an important distinction. The plot is the sequence of events that lead up to the conclusion. I still think Majora's Mask has the best Zelda plot, but you could make a strong case for Wind Waker or Link's Awakening too and have a perfectly valid argument. I might even concede that Wind Waker's plot is stronger, but that's not my current position.

Storywise, Majora's Mask is about loss, grief, and control vs helplessness. These three themes connect all the short stories that comprise the game and ultimately create a literary portrait in how conflicts related to these themes occur.

There is far more to discuss, interpret, and "take" from Majora's Mask's story than any other Zelda game. That's what makes it strong.

I think if you include the game theory where
Link is dead
, then yeah, it's definitely the best tin the series.

Otherwise, I'm going to go with Link's Awakening.

DNAbro

A game's plot is a bit harder to define due to tons of games being non-linear in nature, but even if you don't include the side stories and world building the game still has a better story than the other zelda games by a pretty far margin(imo).

Top Bottom