• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does PS Vita exist / Lack of Vita games at E3

I can't help but think that something must have been canceled at the last minute that caused Sony to switch to a plan B.

I really got this feeling to. Even the wonderbook people seemed like they were stalling for time. Maybe some tech issues? It seemed like the Last of Us demo took a long time to get going in the auditorium.

he has forsaken us

T800F.jpg

Well the last news on Bioshock Vita is that they'd be focus on it once Infinite is done. And since it's been pushed back to 2013, I wouldn't be surprised if we just never hear about it again after the release of Infinite.

What do you say of the 3DS then? Is it in a situation that the market can only handle one dedicated portable now?

Ninty got that last chair first, entrenched with their big sellers and a price point that makes it impossible for Vita to survive healthily. Sony doesn't have anywhere near the cachet that Ninty does for software and portable appeal. Not saying 3DS is going to have an easy time of it in a market that is quickly being subsumed by the domination of the smart phone and general purpose mobile, but it won't get axed or put on life support like Vita, a platform that seems pretty much like it never had a chance and it looked that way before it even released.

Rich!

Hm.

I brought a second 3DS for £90 preowned after staff discount at my old blockbuster store I used to manage. Traded it in to Game for £120 cash towards a vita (only reason I brought it was to make a profit towards the vita!). Brought the vita for £220.

...Traded it in two weeks later for £200 cash to Game. So yeah, I ended up basically not losing any money overall.

But those two weeks I spent with it were great. The console itself is incredible. The screen is mindblowing, and the D-Pad is the best I've EVER used. No fucking joke. However, after playing Rayman (and enjoying the hell out of it), I could not honestly see another game I wanted within the next year. Gravity Rush, maybe - but anything else? Not for me. So I got my money back.

And going by this E3, I'm confident I made the right choice. What a fucking shame, Sony. This could have been your chance to shine.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
What do you say of the 3DS then? Is it in a situation that the market can only handle one dedicated portable now?

If Vita was $80 cheaper and had a Mario Kart calibre title then maybe it would have had a chance. The cost and software slate combined were the death blow. Nintendo knew that, that's why they scrambled to fix things and rushed Mario games out as fast as possible.

The market has never supported expensive machines with limited libraries, it never has and it never will (see the Jaguar, NeoGeo, PS3, 3DS, etc).

see5harp

man...that's really sad. I gave the PSP a years until the point it was worth absolutely nothing. Really surprised they didn't announce some bonuses for the early adopters along with a price cut. I built a new PC a few weeks ago and didn't even bother installing the content manager software.

I'd say yes, but that's a bit of an oversimplification.

I would say that the market probably just can't support a dedicated handheld that has all of the following disadvantages:

(a) lacks massive first-party handheld-friendly IP on par with Nintendo's to move hardware
(b) has a significantly higher budget ceiling than PSP/PS2/3DS, i.e., the maximum budget level that Japanese third parties* are seemingly willing to invest in a handheld title
(c) launches with the assumption that it will end up as the second-place platform in its sector of the market

Combine the three, and you have a perfect storm of mutually perpetuating poor sales and third-party disinterest.

*I say "Japanese" because, with Western views towards handheld development being what they are, there was never any plausible scenario in which Vita would end up with significantly better Western third-party support than what's been announced for it.

deadlast

Take a look.

It's in really good condition, basically have had it in a screen protector and case since day one. If someone on Gaf wants it, I'll also throw in MLB the show for the buyout price. In case you don't want to click the link:

Wi-fi Model
Hard Carrying Case
16 GB Memory Card
(For Gaf, I'll throw in MLB The Show)

Starting Bid $179.99 and buyout is $219.99.

Too bad you aren't local (DC area), that is a very tempting price.

Where was Gravity rush, warriors lair, LBP, Killzone, Soul Sacrifice, Bioshock, Final Fantasy, AC Liberation demo, any other new game, COD info, downloadable games, PSN+, PS1 classics date, or a pricedrop?

No where, because Sony betrayalton'd the Vita.

Parch

What's it been? 4 months? Some would still call this the launch window for the Vita. The 3DS had a pretty crappy library after 4 months if I remember.

Most of this Vita hate is ridiculous. I see trolling Sony is still in fashion on this board.

What's it been? 4 months? Some would still call this the launch window for the Vita. The 3DS had a pretty crappy library after 4 months if I remember.

Most of this Vita hate is ridiculous. I see trolling Sony is still in fashion on this board.

I think people are just upset at the complete lack of Vita content at the Sony conference. This being their newest console, they really should have mentioned more about it.

The difference is that Nintendo assured everybody at last year's E3 that they had a lot of stuff coming out for the 3DS. Even if most of it was already known, they spent the time showing that they wanted to support it at their press conference. Sony spent more time this E3 on their giant AR Card.

Nope. This forum has a MASSIVE and sometimes overly passionate Sony following. You can't go into many thread without somebody mentioning Vita, whether it's warranted or not. With Sony nearly dismissing the device so many people put a lot of money into, I think it's just people coming to a point of frustration.

someone just posted e3 following 3ds horrible release.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbV99b-qir0
see the difference?

I dont think most of us are hating on Vita. were disappointed in Sony showing any type of ...well anything towards the vita.

I personally LOVE my Vita despite it being in the mail right now to be fixed for a fukd analog and this shittastic E3.I wish Sony would show the love that most of us want and do show for it

btkadams

GAF, I enjoy my Vita. This thread makes me sad :(

i think we're all blowing it a bit out of proportion because of the huge disappointment, but things aren't looking good for vita. it's really depressing..

regardless, i have put way more time into my vita than my 3ds, and there are more vita games on the horizon that i am looking forward to than 3ds.

Tiamant

-Hey Jack, where are Vita games???

-Well you know, we have limited time so we had to cut the fat...

Jesus, are you stupid Jack?

Ponn

Banned
Such a non-answer from Tretton on GT "There are games coming and you have PSP games and we are adding Psone classics. Just play what you already have its only been out for 4 months." Jesus Tretton. I am wondering seriously now if they are just letting it sink like PSP Go.

sad to see that my dustiest console/handheld is only going to get dustier. did they mention anything about PS1 support at all?

Its coming in summer

Goes hand in hand with what a poster (who has info) said earlier in this thread on how they made a "tactical" decision (which was really fucking stupid) that blew up in their face

Mileena

Banned
Sad times. I like the Vita but I'm gonna try and sell it while I can get something back. I couldn't even get $200 for Vita, MK and a 32GB card so I lowered to 175 :(

I wish it didn't come to this, but I have no faith in Sony to turn this around.

jman2050

Tretton completely dodged the complaints about upcoming game announcements.

People have stuff to play now, but we knew this already, long before E3.

Ponn

Banned
Keighly should have really called him out when he said "we had limited time and had to trim the fat" All Keighly had to say was Wonderbook.

Diablos54

Such a non-answer from Tretton on GT "There are games coming and you have PSP games and we are adding Psone classics. Just play what you already have its only been out for 4 months." Jesus Tretton. I am wondering seriously now if they are just letting it sink like PSP Go.
I don't like the sound of that...

Psi

Holy shit did he really say that? ahahaha

Shinriji

Sad times. I like the Vita but I'm gonna try and sell it while I can get something back. I couldn't even get $200 for Vita, MK and a 32GB card so I lowered to 175 :(

I wish it didn't come to this, but I have no faith in Sony to turn this around.

I buy your MK for $20. PM me.

mauaus

As soon as i heard that i cringed and i flipped the table :(

Spiegel

Wow

And wow

Such confidence on the future of the system. I guess I'm never going to buy a Vita.

Jumpman23

I waited for the press conference for the reveals hoping it would stave off my desire to part with the device. I honestly have given this device and Sony a good chance. The lack of software support was mind boggling. No God of War, Killzone, Gran Turismo, GTA, etc. While I was excited to see Call of Duty announced for the device, but that just wasnt enough. My 3DS is officially my mainstay portable. If Nintendo announces a re-design in the coming days my Vita and all of its software will be its down payment.

laika09

Holy shit did he really say that? ahahaha

He said that Vita's launch window compares favorably to other platforms (it does) and that there are 60 new games coming within the next 12 months, so you can take this opportunity to focus on the 40+ games that are already released on the platform.

Yeah, the attitude from Tretton says volumes. Don't expect a big Vita push from SCEA. Ever.

Top Bottom