• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does SSBM have a tier list?

pika5dt.jpg

It's funny how my best character is in the lowest tier (Ness). I have a few pretty sick combos that I can people stuck in, and if you get good at using the aim able lightning bolt thing, than you can really kick ass. The only thing you should do first is learn how to jump with him.

Sheik and Marth are tied for second. Both have their strengths. Sheik is good 1 vs 1. and Marth is good in games with more than two players.

Firestorm

Stopsign said:
It's funny how my best character is in the lowest tier (Ness). I have a few pretty sick combos that I can people stuck in, and if you get good at using the aim able lightning bolt thing, than you can really kick ass. The only thing you should do first is learn how to jump with him.

Sheik and Marth are tied for second. Both have their strengths. Sheik is good 1 vs 1. and Marth is good in games with more than two players.

yeah, but Ness gets screwed when it's against good players using good characters >.> There are good Ness players, like Simna, but no amount of Ness fanboyism will stop him from getting raped in a tournament in later rounds.

And both Sheik and Marth are good in 1v1. Godly good.

The tier list is based on 1v1, no items, on the 15 or so legal stages for those wondering.

Then again,
tires dun exits. Young Link is top tier. screw you all

OMG
I just went on that link. Wow I had no idea that SSB:M was so intense and deep. I had no idea that there were international tournaments around 1 game. Shit. Is there like video's made of the fights, and posted up?

Also if I wanted to enter a tournament in the US would I need to be there? I live in UK, so is there one here?

Who organises all of it, is there some sort of association? Or nintendo?

Man the best people are like famous. I am intrigued I wanna know more. Someone explain how all of this happens and go's about.

usea

the thoroughbred said:
OMG
I just went on that link. Wow I had no idea that SSB:M was so intense and deep. I had no idea that there were international tournaments around 1 game. Shit. Is there like video's made of the fights, and posted up?

Also if I wanted to enter a tournament in the US would I need to be there? I live in UK, so is there one here?

Who organises all of it, is there some sort of association? Or nintendo?

Man the best people are like famous. I am intrigued I wanna know more. Someone explain how all of this happens and go's about.
There are lots of videos. On youtube, google video, and you can find pretty much all of them on the smash direct connect hub (smash.servegame.com).

If you wanted to enter a tournament in the US, yes you'd have to come here. I've met plenty of people from overseas at tournaments here in the US though. And yes, there are tournaments in the UK.

Almost all tournaments are organized by individuals, and posted on smashboards.com Smashboards is more or less the center or competitive ssbm. Some organizations holds smash tournaments too, the biggest probably being MLG which does tours in the US. A good way to find players near you is to check the global smasher compendium via google earth. Or to post on smashboards.

Markster said:
what.

I'd always just assumed that Link was upper tier. In the tourneys that I've been to (and run) Link always laid massive smackdown.
Link is better than he is worse, there are more characters beneath him than there are above. However, he will never win a top tourney.

weepy

Archie said:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=81928&highlight=tier+2007

Top Tier:
Fox
Falco

High Tier:
Sheik
Marth
Peach

Middle Tier:
Captain Falcon
Ice Climbers
Samus
Doctor Mario
Jigglypuff
Mario
Ganondorf

Low Tier:
Link
Luigi
Donkey Kong
Roy
Young Link
Pikachu

Bottom Tier:
Yoshi
Zelda
Mr. Game and Watch
Ness
Bowser
Kirby
Pichu
Mewtwo

Uhhh...misprint? Also its funny how the fastest character on the game (and his clone) is top tier as well as other swift characters. Hopefully that changes in Brawl where the slower characters could atleast compete competitively.

TanOOkiSeong said:
That's legit, she's a force in 1 on 1's and an absolute beast in team matches.
Seconded. I've played against some damn good Peach players, and I was quite amazed myself at first.

weepy

TanOOkiSeong said:
That's legit, she's a force in 1 on 1's and an absolute beast in team matches.

Wow, when I used her I thought I couldn't get anything good outta her. This I gotta see in action. Who would have thought my girl Peach was a force in Smash Bros.?

usea

MrNibbles said:
Tiers my ass.
SSBM is a very well balanced game.
Even if you play "tournament" style.
Nobody is claiming that it isn't. If they do, they're wrong. What does that have to do with a tier list?

weepy said:
Uhhh...misprint? Also its funny how the fastest character on the game (and his clone) is top tier as well as other swift characters. Hopefully that changes in Brawl where the slower characters could atleast compete competitively.
Ganondorf still does pretty well.

weepy

MrNibbles said:
Tiers my ass.
SSBM is a very well balanced game.
Even if you play "tournament" style.

There's a possibility that you're right since tiers changes from time to time, but as it stands I think this is based on a ratio of wins and losses against each character.

slow characters can definately compete. Ganondorf is slow, but he is still deadly. His aerial attacks are all superb. Once you learn how to short hop and l-cancel every character is playable.

MrNibbles

Banned
weepy said:
There's a possibility that you're right since tiers changes from time to time, but as it stands I think this is based on a ratio of wins and losses against each character.
So, it's completely random and made up, some people tout it as canon, and others bitch about it vehemently?

Why isn't this on IGN?

I don't get the point of having "tiers" for this game.
Pick whoever you're best with / like playing as the most.
Any character can hold their own against any other character if you know how to play.
Even if this were based on ten million matches, it would still be such a small sampling, and of such a limited play style, as to make it completely useless.

It's as valid as throwing out Top Ten lists for movies, games, breeds of dog, dangerous animals, etc.

Hero said:
Pichu is horrible. Mewtwo needs weapon items to be good.
Oh, I know they both suck at the tourney level. This is just the first time i've seen Pichu overtake Mewtwo. Normally Pichu damaging himself is just too much of a drawback. I wonder what prompted the switch.

usea

MrNibbles said:
So, it's completely random and made up, some people tout it as canon, and others bitch about it vehemently?

Why isn't this on IGN?

I don't get the point of having "tiers" for this game.
Pick whoever you're best with / like playing as the most.
Any character can hold their own against any other character if you know how to play.
Even if this were based on ten million matches, it would still be such a small sampling, and of such a limited play style, as to make it completely useless.

It's as valid as throwing out Top Ten lists for movies, games, breeds of dog, dangerous animals, etc.
It's not random and nobody touts it as canon. I don't know what you're trying to say by calling it "made up."

The point of tiers isn't a guide for which character to pick. It's an attempt to making an objective comparison for the overall strengths and weaknesses of the characters at a high level of play. The reason why the list changes is because the metagame changes. New strategies are developed, tournament rules change slightly, and there are different trends in character selection. It's absolutely without a doubt less subjective than top ten lists such as those you mentioned. Do you know anything about competition at all?

Keru_Shiri said:
Oh, I know they both suck at the tourney level. This is just the first time i've seen Pichu overtake Mewtwo. Normally Pichu damaging himself is just too much of a drawback. I wonder what prompted the switch.
Generally the list gets less accurate as you get closer to the bottom simply because people have less experience with those characters and people never use them seriously in tournaments or attempt to find all of their little advantages.

usea said:
It's not random and nobody touts it as canon. I don't know what you're trying to say by calling it "made up."

The point of tiers isn't a guide for which character to pick. It's an attempt to making an objective comparison for the overall strengths and weaknesses of the characters at a high level of play. The reason why the list changes is because the metagame changes. New strategies are developed, tournament rules change slightly, and there are different trends in character selection. It's absolutely without a doubt less subjective than top ten lists such as those you mentioned. Do you know anything about competition at all?

Generally the list gets less accurate as you get closer to the bottom simply because people have less experience with those characters and people never use them seriously in tournaments or attempt to find all of their little advantages.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I follow the smash bros. teir lists casually as I'd like to break into the tournament scene, but find it difficult to do so, with there being so few in Arkansas (not to mention school + work), but yeah, I was just commenting on how this was the fist time I've seen Mewtwo ranked below Pichu.

Fox is NOT overrated. He's really fast, all of his smashes are effective, all of his aerials are good. Then there this shine reflector, which is arguable the best attack in the game. He has the waveshine attack that when done in quick succesion against certain characters is an unstoppable attack. I think Peach is better then Falco personally.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Link's that low on the totem pole? Maybe everyone I've ever played just sucks, but Link has always seemed like top 5 material to me.

How the hell are Fox and Falco at the top of the heap? Exploits? Combo traps? I can't use either of them worth a damn.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Testicular Sound Express said:
its quite controllable. Don't use it near the edge and use it mostly for recovering. Its really a situational attack, its not used that much.

I never intend on using that stupid dash near an edge but it happens none the less because, well, this isn't a game of chess.

just because a character is low doesn't mean they can't be good. Characters at the stop have certain attacks and combos that just make them really good. Fox has speed, waveshine, aerials. Falco has his spike, speed, and short hop laser. Peach has...God...nearly everything except natural speed. Marth's range with his sword, crazy aerials, and the best edgeguarding game over of everyone. The list goes on.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
just because a character is low doesn't mean they can't be good. Characters at the stop have certain attacks and combos that just make them really good. Fox has speed, waveshine, aerials. Falco has his spike, speed, and short hop laser. Peach has...God...nearly everything except natural speed. Marth's range with his sword, crazy aerials, and the best edgeguarding game over of everyone. The list goes on.

Samus has the best jump exploits.

JayDubya

Banned
My former roommate loved Peach and Falco / Fox and was damn good with them. My favorite and best character has always been Link, though, and I got damn good at fighting Falco / Fox / Sheik with Link, which helped when I actually went to small informal dorm tourneys. :lol I did decently at a more formal tourney, but got ultimately owned... by a better Link player. :lol

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Taj ftw

Taichu

Peach is a great character. Her dress-fury attack is great for multiplayer matches, plus she can take her time floating around with her dress and umbrella. Plus, it's just plain awesome to beat your opponents with an extremely girly character.

I think the list is pretty spot on. Mewtwo easily makes the bottom of the list.

Muppet345

People should keep in mind that list is made for high level play. It's not going to be incredibly relevant unless you're an expert playing in tournaments. In addition, it changes from time to time, and the difference between the tiers isn't that huge, since SSB:M is very well balanced. A decent Mewtwo player will still beat the shit out of a bad Falco player, and so on.

usea

Kevar said:
People should keep in mind that list is made for high level play. It's not going to be incredibly relevant unless you're an expert playing in tournaments. In addition, it changes from time to time, and the difference between the tiers isn't that huge, since SSB:M is very well balanced. A decent Mewtwo player will still beat the shit out of a bad Falco player, and so on.
All very true.

Taichu said:
I think the list is pretty spot on. Mewtwo easily makes the bottom of the list.
Personally I think kirby is the worst, but like I said earlier it almost doesn't even matter for the bottom characters.

fronn

Wtf, where's the love for Luigi?

He's so unloved, yet so very good, especially if you know his spike and can wavedash.

There's all kinds of minor issues with that list, imo, but it seems it has the general gist of it. I'd move a few characters around a couple spots (and move luigi up a full tier), but otherwise it seems about right to me.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
fronn said:
Wtf, where's the love for Luigi?

He's so unloved, yet so very good, especially if you know his spike and can wavedash.

There's all kinds of minor issues with that list, imo, but it seems it has the general gist of it. I'd move a few characters around a couple spots (and move luigi up a full tier), but otherwise it seems about right to me.
Yeah, I like luigi, too, but he doens't have the best recovery out there.

Adagio

usea said:
Personally I think kirby is the worst, but like I said earlier it almost doesn't even matter for the bottom characters.
Goddamn, why did they have to nerf Kirby so... :'(

wow now i see why i own so much with Peach around my area..

she was lower-ranked before. she's now very close to top. my opponents are shocked when i beat the shit out of them wih her.

*prays that Daisy makes it to SSBB and is in the highest tier*

Top Bottom