• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does SSBM have a tier list?

usea

PiccoloCube said:
wow now i see why i own so much with Peach around my area..

she was lower-ranked before. she's now very close to top. my opponents are shocked when i beat the shit out of them wih her.

*prays that Daisy makes it to SSBB and is in the highest tier*
Peach has always been near the top of the list.

Testicular Sound Express said:
Fox is NOT overrated. He's really fast, all of his smashes are effective, all of his aerials are good. Then there this shine reflector, which is arguable the best attack in the game. He has the waveshine attack that when done in quick succesion against certain characters is an unstoppable attack. I think Peach is better then Falco personally.

QFT

Short hopped fast falled l-cancelled D-Air (shffl'd D-Air) guarantees into a shine which leads to -->

Waveshine-->U-Throw-->U-Air
Waveshine-->U-Smash

Both 100% guaranteed against a lot of characters and kill moves around 90% ( i.e. Marth, Falcon, Link, Ganon, Shiek, Peach, Zelda, Doc). Because these combos are guaranteed after the fastest move in the game (the shine) it should be apparent why Fox is so powerful.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Man, I rule with Mr. Game and Watch. Also good with Marth but I feel like a posuer using him because I haven't played any of the Fire Emblem games.

Very satisfying to know I don't play a top tier character. My best is Samus, followed by MewTwo (dead last? no he melts face, quite a bitch to learn though), and then Zelda (non-Shiek).

usea

Teasel said:
i don't get it... why is marth top tier while roy is low tier when they are basicaly the same character?
Because they're not basically the same character. They're very, very different.

Roy falls faster, weighs less, is smaller, jumps shorter, has a much worse recovery, and all of his attacks have vastly different properties.

Really the only things they share are a similar model and similar animations. As far as actual gameplay goes they're about as different as any two characters.

omaremad

Lets do this scientifcally :D , reset your stats, go into versus, max out cpu ai (4 player cpu match)
infinite time, infinite stock. repeat for diffrent levels, (leave match going for 1 hour).

rinse and then repeat for all characters.

Then look at the stats.

Roi

pikachu.jpg

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I was originally going to get to this topic and make my point about how I disagree with everything on this list and that all my favourite characters should be on top and everyone else down bottom, but really nobody cares. (Although if you do, for me it's Ganondorf >> Link > Falco > Mewtwo > Everyone else)

I love Smash Bros. Melee for what they did for this game. Five years on and the game is still as truly lively as it was when it first came to be. Despite tiers and the like every character can be good in the right hands, such a well balanced game and infinitely replayable. Every character's personality extends into every facet of their fighting style and very often reflects the personality of the user. It's so subtle and yet so majestic in its execution.

The only people I think need to be "screwed" in this whole shebang is EDGE Magazine's continued downmarking for the series. I mean, 5 and 6? Sheesh!

LakeEarth

Tier lists only matter at the higher levels. For the vast majority of people, just pick who you're most comfortable with.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
omaremad said:
Lets do this scientifcally :D , reset your stats, go into versus, max out cpu ai (4 player cpu match)
infinite time, infinite stock. repeat for diffrent levels, (leave match going for 1 hour).

Then look at the stats.
Bah. That all depends on how the AI is written for each CPU.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
omaremad said:

Then look at the stats.
that doesn't work, because the AI is different for each of the characters. Game & Watch and Ganondorf have the best AI, and I believe Yoshi has the worst (he rolls off stages often).

1. There is an unofficial tier list, but other than that, SSBM has no tiers.

2. But on the subject of the unofficial one, I thought Jigglypuff was top tier?

And 3. Pichu is probably better than Mewtwo because of his/her/its' decently powerful attacks.

LakeEarth said:
There are official tier lists out there? What makes a list official?

I assume Nintendo has a tier list of their own. It reads something like this..

First: Mario
Second: Link
Last: Luigi

Almost all fighting games have tiers. These things happen whether it's the developers intention or not.

Haunted

That 'tier' list is only for people who play w/o items and on some of the stages, right? So it's basically useless when the game is played properly? ok then.

edit: I didn't see that Kevar posted the same earlier - I lose. :(

Dr.Hadji

Haunted_One said:
That 'tier' list is only for people who play w/o items and on some of the stages, right? So it's basically useless when the game is played properly? ok then.

You might see a very slight change up in positions if all levels were considered equal. But ultimately it would a mild shuffling of the top tiers with Falco raising to the peak of peaks to become "GOD TIER" (low ceilings + shine = easy falco wins).

Items would mean even less. The only proper way to play Smash is to play to have fun.

Top Bottom