• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does the Xbox One benefit from 5Ghz at all?

Recently i moved to a new house and i also decided to change my internet, because for many years i've been coping with download speeds that could be considered ancient almost. I went from ADSL 12mbits to 150mbits and that's quite a nice difference.

When i connect my Surface Pro to the 5Ghz and i check Speedtest.net i get like 120 to 130mbits, which is pretty nice, can't expect to get the full 150 when wireless. So i decided to connect my Xbox One to this same network and via Edge i went to Speedtest.net and did the test but i only got 20mbits, as if it was still connecting to the 2.4ghz network. How come?

Also...does my Xbox One benefit at all from 5ghz in terms of download speed for games/updates/demos or am i good with wired and thus 2.4ghz? I did a test with downloading APB reloaded and it actually seemed faster when it was wired. Now the NAT is strict when i use wifi and connect to the 5ghz network, but i don't believe NAT affects speed, does it?

Gren

Doesn't the 5 Ghz band itself only increase your speed on the local network (i.e. transferring/streaming data between your Xbox & another device in your home)?

Dunno why it'd be slower though. I could imagine Xbox network activity being throttled (bsed only on what I experienced with the 360), but not Edge/web browsing.

The idea is that less people use 5GHz so the connection itself should drop out less/suffer from less interference, all things being equal.
The big three cheat out on the Wi-Fi antennas and don't give two fucks about 5Ghz to save money.
And yet I've been using 5GHz on MS since the 360.

Well i did the test again.

11 seconds to go from 1 percent to 2 percent and so on when wired. About 16 to 17 seconds when Wifi and connected to the 5ghz network. Odd.

leeh

5Ghz isn't for speed, it's primary there due to less interference on the band than you find on 2.4Ghz (Wireless Phones are a big one for interference, many home appliances generate in the 2.4Ghz band). Although, this results in better speed, as any packet loss exponentially deteriorates bandwidth as when it has to re-transmit every 1 in 4 packets, you're essentially loosing a quarter of your speed. Then again, if you didn't have any interference to begin with, you won't notice a difference.

5Ghz has a shorter range and can't transfer solid objects as well.

11 seconds to go from 1 percent to 2 percent and so on when wired. About 16 to 17 seconds when Wifi and connected to the 5ghz network. Odd.

It could be a router speed limitation. 802.11n in most router is capable of ~300Mb/s but their may be some weird limitation on the router that forces it into 54/144Mb/s mode for "compatibility".

I get damn near double speeds on 5 ghz. It's annoying that the PS4 doesn't get 5 ghz so I have to run a wire just to play the ps4

5Ghz is faster and gets less interference under ideal conditions, but it comes at the price of lower max range and less ability to penetrate walls.

It could be a router speed limitation. 802.11n in most router is capable of ~300Mb/s but their may be some weird limitation on the router that forces it into 54/144Mb/s mode for "compatibility".

Hmmm....but when i use it on the Surface i get crazy speeds. When testing the speed it goes to 130/140 while on Xbox One when using Edge it only shows about 20mbits.

That's weird, I definitely see the improvements over changing my local network to 5ghz.

Not just on internet, but in home streaming as well.

No_Style

5Ghz isn't for speed, it's primary there due to less interference on the band than you find on 2.4Ghz (Wireless Phones are a big one for interference, many home appliances generate in the 2.4Ghz band). Although, this results in better speed, as any packet loss exponentially deteriorates bandwidth as when it has to re-transmit every 1 in 4 packets, you're essentially loosing a quarter of your speed. Then again, if you didn't have any interference to begin with, you won't notice a difference.

Well said, Leeh.

FZW

All I know is, in my experience WIFI on the XB1>>>>> WIFI on PS4. The XB1 uses 5GHz amd the PS4 does not.

The router is very close to the Xbox One, so that can't be the issue here. Maybe it's a setting in the router. It IS a very standard router from the ISP itself though, no idea how limited it is. I probably should check the Xbox One Detailed network stats, right?

In densely populated areas 2.4ghz is almost useless. In my old house in Philly I had trouble getting signal to my chromecast in the room directly above my router. And it's only going to get worse.

5ghz works beautifully, for now.

NeOak

Doesn't the 5 Ghz band itself only increase your speed on the local network (i.e. transferring/streaming data between your Xbox & another device in your home)?

Dunno why it'd be slower though. I could imagine Xbox network activity being throttled (bsed only on what I experienced with the 360), but not Edge/web browsing.

Well said, Leeh.

What the fuck am I reading? You can only do AC on 5Ghz. The XBO has AC.

Stop spreading bullshit. 5Ghz is for speed.

The router is very close to the Xbox One, so that can't be the issue here. Maybe it's a setting in the router. It IS a very standard router from the ISP itself though, no idea how limited it is. I probably should check the Xbox One Detailed network stats, right?

Have your tried updating the router firmware?

Also, see if you can force the router to N at least.

I checked the Detailed network stats on Xbox One:

Wired (and thus automatically connected to 2.4)

Download speed - 90.16 Mbpa (no idea why i am not getting the full 150 here)

Upload speed - 15.35 Mbps

Packet loss - 0%

MTU - 1480

Latency - 157

Wifi

Dowload speed - 50.32 Mbps

Upload speed - 15.32 Mbps

Packet loss - 0%

MTU - 1480

Latency - 158 ms

Wireless strength - 100%

The download speed difference is weird as hell.

icespide

Banned

wait what? which xbox has AC?

I'll check if there's an update. No idea what you mean with forcing the router to N. How do i do that?

OneUh8

This. 2.4Ghz has better penetration through walls etc. Play around with your routers different bands and see what works best for you. 5ghz offers higher rates, but over a shorter distance.

This. 2.4Ghz has better penetration through walls etc. Play around with your routers different bands and see what works best for you. 5ghz offers higher rates, but over a shorter distance.

Sounds like something i should try as well, but where do i find this? Same as what NeOak said, forcing the router to N. No idea what that means.

It's just odd how my Surface seems to get the correct speed at 5ghz, but Xbox One not at all, in fact it;s slower than 2.4.

pizzasqueeze

Neo Member

No need to be a dick about it. And you are not correct

5ghz is the wireless channel (nothing to do with speed directly though if it clears up interference for you it may help)

Wireless AC is the networking standard and allows for speeds greater than wireless N and previous stuff like wireless G or whatever.

Wireless AC only operates on 5 ghz band, but Wireless N can also operate on the 5 ghz band (maybe XBO only offers 5ghz on wireless AC, i dunno). 5 ghz in and of itself has nothing to do with throughput or bandwith (aka SPEED).

Your XBO and router must both be wireless AC compatible for you to see the benefits of wireless AC

NeOak

wait what? which xbox has AC?
The Xbox One has AC, but I think it is 867 Mbits only iirc

Sounds like something i should try as well, but where do i find this? Same as what NeOak said, forcing the router to N. No idea what that means.

It's just odd how my Surface seems to get the correct speed at 5ghz, but Xbox One not at all, in fact it;s slower than 2.4.

That's weird
No need to be a dick about it. And you are not correct

5ghz is the wireless channel (nothing to do with speed directly though if it clears up interference for you it may help)

Wireless AC is the networking standard and allows for speeds greater than wireless N and previous stuff like wireless G or whatever.

Wireless AC only operates on 5 ghz band, but Wireless N can also operate on the 5 ghz band (maybe XBO only offers 5ghz on wireless AC, i dunno). 5 ghz in and of itself has nothing to do with throughput or bandwith (aka SPEED).

Your XBO and router must both be wireless AC compatible for you to see the benefits of wireless AC

5Ghz was for 802.11a originally, and it began as a different project. When they were working in 802.11n they put them on both, but 5Ghz has more bandwidth while 2.4Ghz is limited to what it can do even without interference. You can only do 144Mbits on 2.4Ghz using N vs the full 300Mbits on 5Ghz using a single antena. 300Mbits or more requires two antennas, 3 for 450, 4 for 600 Mbits.

The Xbox one does 867Mbits AC on the 5Ghz band with the dual antennas it has. The PS4 is the one that does single antenna with awful range and only up to 144Mbits N.

And you need to read more before stating half assed facts. Higher frequency = higher bandwidth. The only thing you are right is that 5Ghz has less range, but saying that 5Ghz was made only for less interference is wrong.

Under the wireless settings (i have the Technicolor TC7210.dNZ by the way) i see 802.11 n-mode and it's set to auto. I can only set it to off or auto. Is this what NeOak meant?

pizzasqueeze

Neo Member
The Xbox One has AC, but I think it is 867 Mbits only iirc

5Ghz was for 802.11a originally, and it began as a different project. When they were working in 802.11n they put them on both, but 5Ghz has more bandwidth while 2.4Ghz is limited to what it can do even without interference. You can only do 144Mbits on 2.4Ghz using N vs the full 300Mbits on 5Ghz using a single antena. 300Mbits or more requires two antennas, 3 for 450, 4 for 600 Mbits.

The Xbox one does 867Mbits AC on the 5Ghz band with the dual antennas it has. The PS4 is the one that does single antenna with awful range and only up to 144Mbits N.

And you need to read more before stating half assed facts. Higher frequency = higher bandwidth. The only thing you are right is that 5Ghz has less range, but saying that 5Ghz was made only for less interference is wrong.

i stand corrected. Never heard 5 was faster than 2.4ghz before. So, I guess if 5 works go for it!

Goddamn this Technicolor router. Can't find where to update firmware at all and Google isn't exactly helping either. I tried changing the channel but it didn't help anything. Download speed is still at 53Mbits when connected to 5Ghz.

Guess i'll go back to wired then. For some reason 5ghz isn't it for my Xbox One.

Enkidu

The big three cheat out on the Wi-Fi antennas and don't give two fucks about 5Ghz to save money.
Adding a 5 GHz band to a 2.4 GHz antenna in a device as large as an Xbox One is almost trivial. If anything they are cheaping out on the radio, not the antenna.

i stand corrected. Never heard 5 was faster than 2.4ghz before. So, I guess if 5 works go for it!
It's a bandwidth issue. The 2.4 GHz ISM band is only 100 MHz wide, while the 5 GHz band is around 600 MHz wide (depending on the country). The speed is largely related to the available bandwidth (hence why they are looking into using the 60 GHz band for 5G in order to get even more bandwidth).

5ghz is only useful for those rudeass people who come to you house and ask you for your WiFi password with 5 minutes of arrival.

You also make sure you sit them 2 rooms away from the router at least.

OT, 5ghz is great if your devices are in the same room as the router.

leeh

Nah, 5Ghz N has been a thing for a while, it's just the protocol what is defined by N, not the frequency in which it can be sent over. Fancy transmitters/receivers support greenfield mode in N where you send over 2.4Ghz & 5.Ghz concurrently which doubles the speed.

5ghz is only useful for those rudeass people who come to you house and ask you for your WiFi password with 5 minutes of arrival.

You also make sure you sit them 2 rooms away from the router at least.

OT, 5ghz is great if your devices are in the same room as the router.

Which is the case for me. I got all devices in the same room as the router, all very close to it really. I already find it odd that even wired i get 90 max and not even 120-150, which i should get. Not that it's going to matter much for Xbox One downloading speeds because apparently the max download speed is 20mbits from what i heard.

But nonetheless i do wonder what is causing this.

Top Bottom