• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Trump deserve the Nobel Prize if NK de-nuclearizes?

pramod

Banned
“It is our consistent stand to be committed to denuclearization on the peninsula, in accordance with the will of late President Kim Il Sung and late General Secretary Kim Jong Il,” Kim Jong Un said, according to Xinhua

Woah is this real life?

llien

China said on Wednesday North Korean leader Kim Jong Un pledged to denuclearize the Korean peninsula during an historic meeting in Beijing with President Xi Jinping, who promised China would uphold its friendship with its isolated neighbor.

Chinese solving what is perceived like US problem amid 60 billion "retaliation" taxes introduced by POTUS.
What the hell is going on?

dolabla

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...t-again-hat-after-historic-meeting-with-trump

Former NBA basketball star Dennis Rodman tweeted Friday he hopes President Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un have an amicable meeting that ends with the leader of the rogue regime donning a "Make America Great Again" hat.

“Hoping for this after my two friends and leaders meet next month. #Peace #Love #NotWar #Diplomacy,” Rodman tweeted.

Rodman’s tweet included a doctored photo of Kim wearing a “Make America Great Again” hat.

Mahadev

I mean if Obama got one while he was slaughtering civilians with drone strikes, hey, give one to Trump too. The prize is a joke anyway and the same applies to the Nobel prize in economics.

gohepcat

Banned
The prize is a joke anyway and the same applies to the Nobel prize in economics.

Dude....Richard Thaler is fucking awesome. So is Oliver Hart. What problem do you have with erudite econ academics? They tend to be pretty cool in my experience.

Mahadev

Dude....Richard Thaler is fucking awesome. So is Oliver Hart. What problem do you have with erudite econ academics? They tend to be pretty cool in my experience.

The prize was created for the status quo to advertise their preferred economists and therefore economic principles. It's not even a legitimate Nobel prize.

Last edited:
Chinese solving what is perceived like US problem amid 60 billion "retaliation" taxes introduced by POTUS.
What the hell is going on?

I think the hilarious thing is that all this is happening with a skeleton state department. It seems like that department is mostly used for photo ops and getting free dinner theatres from dictators (e.g. Madelaine Halfbright's "enchanting evening" with Un).

It's looking more and more like the US standing up to the brats in DPRK for once, combined with some targeted tariffs against their enablers, is what led to them finally growing up a little. I do think Un is a little more amenable than his dad was due to his worldly upbringing, so that helps.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Realistically, what is there to talk about?

Is this basically a, "Sure we'll agree to de-nuclearize if you agree to give us something in return" kinda thing?

KINGMOKU

Is this basically a, "Sure we'll agree to de-nuclearize if you agree to give us something in return" kinda thing?
Maybe. Unlike some sick and twisted folks(not you just commenting)who would love to see this blow up in the Presidents face, I'm actually hopeful. Un is not his father and was raised with worldly influence.

Here's to hoping its not some charade or bargaining chip and this actually happens.

If not, well, we have all seen this movie before.

NickFire

It almost certainly is because KJU doesn't want to walk into a coup or being brought up on charges for human rights abuses. And I doubt he is willing to bank solely on the military people he crossed and the population in general, being impressed that they became friends with the world by giving up what they were brainwashed to believe was necessary to protect their country.

But at the end of the day, I am fine with things like a formal peace treaty, an agreement not to strike unless they resume nuclear development or attack an ally, lifting sanctions, welcoming them into the global economy, etc. While I would love to see democratic ideals and respect for human rights come to fruition, my only cares at this point are not letting someone with their history from being able to nuke the US, and avoiding another war which would kill untold thousands or millions of people.

JKRMA

Banned
Yes he deserves the PNP more than hussein Obama

Any particular reason you put Hussein in front of Obama? The reason I ask because it sounds a lot like some how Obama has been referred to by Islamophobic folks.

Btw, remember all, Donald Drumpf is a multiple time adulterer, even when his wife just gave birth, liked to see young girls naked and boasted how he can do it since he owns the pageant, possibly had bastard children that his lawyer covered up which means he knows that he had bastard children, admitted on tv he just grabs pussy and gets away with it because he is famous, no award should ever be given to a man with those morals.

Btw, remember all, Donald Drumpf is a multiple time adulterer, even when his wife just gave birth, liked to see young girls naked and boasted how he can do it since he owns the pageant, possibly had bastard children that his lawyer covered up which means he knows that he had bastard children, admitted on tv he just grabs pussy and gets away with it because he is famous, no award should ever be given to a man with those morals.

So he is basically the new FDR and JFK all in one. What is your point with regards to him getting DPRK to denuclearize through a tough stance and attacking China economically?

Last edited:

TrainedRage

Banned
Any particular reason you put Hussein in front of Obama? The reason I ask because it sounds a lot like some how Obama has been referred to by Islamophobic folks.

The irony of this post will be lost on OP but I found it funny.

B-b-but he is a rapist!!!!! Look at the evidence sheeple!!!!1

llien

CIA director Mike Pompeo travelled to Pyongyang for a secret meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, US media report.

The meeting to prepare for direct talks between US President Donald Trump and Mr Kim took place on about 1 April, unnamed officials said.

What do we know about the 'secret meeting'?
The news that Mr Pompeo had travelled to North Korea for a clandestine meeting with Mr Kim was first reported by The Washington Post.

The trip took place shortly after Mr Pompeo was nominated by Mr Trump to replace Rex Tillerson as secretary of state, two anonymous sources "with direct knowledge of the trip" told the newspaper.

Later the Reuters news agency said the report had been confirmed to them by senior officials. The White House has not commented.

Very little is known about the talks other than that they were to prepare for the forthcoming Trump-Kim summit.

Mr Pompeo is predicted to be confirmed as the top US diplomat by the Republican-controlled Senate in coming weeks.

BBC

Cato

Banned

Sure, Trump is not a faithful husband in the traditional christian sense, but if he is despicable because of it, so are a LOT others that have made far worse adultery transgressions.
Maybe he is poly-amorous? That means he is is LGBTQP+++ ? That would actually be really funny.
At least his encounters were consensual, he paid money to have sex with a lot of women.

If you think that is bad you must think Bill Clinton is even worse. His encounters were not always consensual and sometimes he would beat them up to threathen them to silence.

Last edited:
SEOUL, South Korea — Kim Jong-un, North Korea’s leader, has removed a key obstacle to negotiations with Washington by no longer demanding that American troops be removed from South Korea as a condition for denuclearizing his country, the South’s president, Moon Jae-in, said Thursday.

The change in stance, if officially confirmed by the North, could affect the United States’ long-term military plans in Northeast Asia and ease Washington’s reluctance to strike a deal with North Korea.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/19/...troops-withdrawal-trump.html?partner=msft_msn

It sure is hilarious watching haters and "experts" spin each time there's a new development on NK. On TV and online they're falling over themselves trying to save face as it becomes more and more clear they're dead wrong again on a major issue. Pres. Trump is showcasing once again the people who've failed on NK for decades are terrible at what they do for a living. The groupthink is pervasive and damaging. The jury is not out yet on NK, but there should be more of a desire to get people into politics and government in general that think outside the box like Pres. Trump.

KINGMOKU

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/19/...troops-withdrawal-trump.html?partner=msft_msn

It sure is hilarious watching haters and "experts" spin each time there's a new development on NK. On TV and online they're falling over themselves trying to save face as it becomes more and more clear they're dead wrong again on a major issue. Pres. Trump is showcasing once again the people who've failed on NK for decades are terrible at what they do for a living. The groupthink is pervasive and damaging. The jury is not out yet on NK, but there should be more of a desire to get people into politics and government in general that think outside the box like Pres. Trump.
Its going to be awhile after the dust settles to see what shakes out of this(if anything happens)but if he gets this done I don't see in any universe how he doesn't get reelected for a second term. Combined with many Americans taking home a bonus for the first time in their lives, and his tough stance on illegal immigration, the Democrats better find someone outside of the box, and not use shaming tactics again or they have zero chance.

A different perspective sometimes is what it takes to solve a problem, no matter what it is. Trumps was to use the threat of the largest and most powerful military this planet has ever seen and for it not be an empty threat.

If this gets done, its a win for the world no matter who's in office, and everyone, no matter what side of the isle, better recognize that.

cryptoadam

Banned
Its going to be awhile after the dust settles to see what shakes out of this(if anything happens)but if he gets this done I don't see in any universe how he doesn't get reelected for a second term. Combined with many Americans taking home a bonus for the first time in their lives, and his tough stance on illegal immigration, the Democrats better find someone outside of the box, and not use shaming tactics again or they have zero chance.

A different perspective sometimes is what it takes to solve a problem, no matter what it is. Trumps was to use the threat of the largest and most powerful military this planet has ever seen and for it not be an empty threat.

If this gets done, its a win for the world no matter who's in office, and everyone, no matter what side of the isle, better recognize that.

Dems will probably sink further into the extreme left with their next nomination if things continue. I fully expect them to double down even further on how far left they can go. Dems won't listen to the American people and move more to the center, the only thing they have left is to appeal to their hardcore base since Trump is accomplishing a lot of the things he said he was going to do.

If this NK stuff goes through next on his list should be ending the Arab-Israeli conflict. If SA can get on board which they have been leaning heavily to doing so and maybe Syria can be cleaned up with the "Arab" coalition Trump wants in there its very possible Trump will accomplish that as well.

But for left wing American's don't worry you can start blaming Trumps second term on the Marklar's for marklarking the election and marklarking it for Trump :)

Cleared_Hot

100% yes. he should get it just for meeting with him. That alone is a profound image of doing whatever you can for peace. Obama for it before doing anything and did nothing in return to warrant it.

Last edited:

Cleared_Hot

You're kidding right? He doesn't deserve shit.
You're kidding right? He comes into office, immediately starts handling NK in controversial ways, next thing you know, they're about to announce the end of the war and have the first meeting between our two leaders ever. It's monumental and could prove to be one of the greatest achievements for peace in the history of the world.

KINGMOKU

You're kidding right? He comes into office, immediately starts handling NK in controversial ways, next thing you know, they're about to announce the end of the war and have the first meeting between our two leaders ever. It's monumental and could prove to be one of the greatest achievements for peace in the history of the world.
Amazing huh? People are so blinded by their hate for Trump, and even with South Korea's leadership saying Trump did this they can't see thru their own irrational hate.

I just assume they are not from America, or they hate the United States.

There's nothing wrong being proud of your president, and country when they do something right. Stop drawing partisan lines in the sand and grow up. If this pans out its a great day for not only America, but for the world.

Amazing huh? People are so blinded by their hate for Trump, and even with South Korea's leadership saying Trump did this they can't see thru their own irrational hate.

I just assume they are not from America, or they hate the United States.

There's nothing wrong being proud of your president, and country when they do something right. Stop drawing partisan lines in the sand and grow up. If this pans out its a great day for not only America, but for the world.

Ok, what did Trump do to help this situation?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I had a whole thing written up but if you don't see how he helped, your purposely not seeing it.

I'm not bothering.

GAF is a lurker's paradise and lots of people are reading, myself included. We'd still appreciate your thoughts on the matter. :)

KINGMOKU

GAF is a lurker's paradise and lots of people are reading, myself included. We'd still appreciate your thoughts on the matter. :)
I look at it in a cumulative view.

There is one thing that I think everyone in the world, not just in the United States, can agree on;

Donald Trump seems wildly unpredictable.

That on the surface may not seem like much at first glance but if you sit down, take a moment and gather your thoughts and really understand what this means, its haunting/devastating.

You have a man who's whole demeanor and attitude is "winning". His whole life has been known as a ruthless business man. His television persona is one of a man who cuts the fat with "your fired".

This is a man who has buildings all over the world with his name on them as a symbol of Americas financial power both nationally, and individually.

This is a man who's debating style is crushing to his opponents, and has no qualms saying exactly what's on his mind.

This is a man who has gone after the media in such a direct way its shocking even to me, and I loathe the national media(FOX,CNN,MSNBC,NPR)

Watching him debate with ruthless zingers such as "because you'd be in jail", or "the wall just got 10 feet taller". Shoving his way in front of other world leaders to be front and center. Mocking the media on a national stage.

This has created a persona of a "man of action". He speaks loudly and carries the biggest stick.

This has a huge effect on how world leaders view the United States. They know that Trump would never talk about a red line, and then never follow up. This instills fear/respect into world leaders.

Think about the effect this has on Chinas/N. Koreas leadership. He just doesn't threaten tariffs, he slams them into place. He drops out of the TPP with nary a second glance. He places sanctions quickly. He's bombed Syria even with Russia stating that they will shoot down both the missiles and the planes that shot them.(A new story states he decided to go thru with the bombing to validate his tweets!)

This is a bully by any definition, but this bully has no bigger kid on the block to stop him. These are just some of the things we know about. How does this man conduct business out of the public eye? I can't even imagine how some of these private phone calls to world leaders must go.

What this culminates to is that you have the president of the united states who calls you names(rocket man), bombs other countries, doesn't follow normal procedure, commands the most powerful military, and doesn't seem to care at all what he says/does, and has openly threatened you.

That's not nothing to scoff at, or think "he's bluffing".

Donald Trump has his finger on the button, and the world has noticed.

Its had an effect.

Give the nobel prize to Obama. As we all know, everything positive that comes out of Trump's presidency is Obama's legacy anyway.

I look at it in a cumulative view.

There is one thing that I think everyone in the world, not just in the United States, can agree on;

Donald Trump seems wildly unpredictable.

That on the surface may not seem like much at first glance but if you sit down, take a moment and gather your thoughts and really understand what this means, its haunting/devastating.

You have a man who's whole demeanor and attitude is "winning". His whole life has been known as a ruthless business man. His television persona is one of a man who cuts the fat with "your fired".

This is a man who has buildings all over the world with his name on them as a symbol of Americas financial power both nationally, and individually.

This is a man who's debating style is crushing to his opponents, and has no qualms saying exactly what's on his mind.

This is a man who has gone after the media in such a direct way its shocking even to me, and I loathe the national media(FOX,CNN,MSNBC,NPR)

Watching him debate with ruthless zingers such as "because you'd be in jail", or "the wall just got 10 feet taller". Shoving his way in front of other world leaders to be front and center. Mocking the media on a national stage.

This has created a persona of a "man of action". He speaks loudly and carries the biggest stick.

This has a huge effect on how world leaders view the United States. They know that Trump would never talk about a red line, and then never follow up. This instills fear/respect into world leaders.

Think about the effect this has on Chinas/N. Koreas leadership. He just doesn't threaten tariffs, he slams them into place. He drops out of the TPP with nary a second glance. He places sanctions quickly. He's bombed Syria even with Russia stating that they will shoot down both the missiles and the planes that shot them.(A new story states he decided to go thru with the bombing to validate his tweets!)

This is a bully by any definition, but this bully has no bigger kid on the block to stop him. These are just some of the things we know about. How does this man conduct business out of the public eye? I can't even imagine how some of these private phone calls to world leaders must go.

What this culminates to is that you have the president of the united states who calls you names(rocket man), bombs other countries, doesn't follow normal procedure, commands the most powerful military, and doesn't seem to care at all what he says/does, and has openly threatened you.

That's not nothing to scoff at, or think "he's bluffing".

Donald Trump has his finger on the button, and the world has noticed.

Its had an effect.

Places sanctions quickly unless they are against Russia apparently. https://www.politico.com/story/2018/04/18/trump-russia-sanctions-536588

Did...you brag about the president's abusive use of tariffs?

Err, Trump has had plenty of red lines. It's also very easy to talk him out of most things as well. Many world leaders have found him quite easy to manipulate. A couple compliments, give Trump something to brag about and he will hand you the key.

Nah, at best Kim just realized that he can get as much as he wants if Trump gets a win. At worst, this thing is being blown up for the sake of a story. However, Kim has wanted a place at the big boy's table for a while now, and this meeting will make the rest of the world give notice to the country as well. Either way, Kim is the one winning in this situation.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-trump-walkout-north-korea-20180418-story.html

This man is a coward and a buffoon at best, and it's blatantly obvious to any of the world leaders. A shell of a tough guy who only seems to be so to those who've never met one. Trump is a bully that would cry if you so much as shoved him. Trump is even dodging Barbara Bush's funeral because he's too much of a coward to hear any criticism for what he's doing.

Dunki

I can not believe I am saying this but he actually seems really good in foreign affairs. Sometimes you need a more aggressive person to solve conflicts. And what he did with the embassy in Jerusalem was great to

NickFire

The NK developments are amazing. I know nothing is guaranteed but there is so much reason to be optimistic at this point. And shame on those blatantly hoping this fails. It’s time to start showing a little respect to the president. Whether it fails or peace is reached, this is the closest we’ve come in my life. And success would remove the threat of a war that could literally kill millions on each side.

KINGMOKU

Places sanctions quickly unless they are against Russia apparently. https://www.politico.com/story/2018/04/18/trump-russia-sanctions-536588

Did...you brag about the president's abusive use of tariffs?

Err, Trump has had plenty of red lines. It's also very easy to talk him out of most things as well. Many world leaders have found him quite easy to manipulate. A couple compliments, give Trump something to brag about and he will hand you the key.

Nah, at best Kim just realized that he can get as much as he wants if Trump gets a win. At worst, this thing is being blown up for the sake of a story. However, Kim has wanted a place at the big boy's table for a while now, and this meeting will make the rest of the world give notice to the country as well. Either way, Kim is the one winning in this situation.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-trump-walkout-north-korea-20180418-story.html

This man is a coward and a buffoon at best, and it's blatantly obvious to any of the world leaders. A shell of a tough guy who only seems to be so to those who've never met one. Trump is a bully that would cry if you so much as shoved him. Trump is even dodging Barbara Bush's funeral because he's too much of a coward to hear any criticism for what he's doing.
See? This is exactly what I'm talking about.

"Did you brag..."

You have taken what I've said personally. I answered your question, and its about an unpredictable man in control of the worlds most powerful economy, and military. I painted a picture of a cumulative effect his persona has had on people.

"Shell of a tough guy" "buffoon" "coward"

"Bully"

You got one right.

You don't become the president of the united states by accident.

See? This is exactly what I'm talking about.

"Did you brag..."

You have taken what I've said personally. I answered your question, and its about an unpredictable man in control of the worlds most powerful economy, and military. I painted a picture of a cumulative effect his persona has had on people.

"Shell of a tough guy" "buffoon" "coward"

"Bully"

You got one right.

You don't become the president of the united states by accident.

And I view it in a different way. Isn't that what this board proud to talk about? Dissenting views?

No, you win it through a popularity contest. That's it. Apparently we have a lot of wannabe bullies in the US, not like that wasn't a shocker. Trump has made a lot of promises to a lot of people and reneged on a lot of them, and a lot of people bought the hype.

Not enough that he won the popular vote though. Isn't it great that we have a system that gives more power to the states with less people in them? Sounds democratic.

KINGMOKU

And I view it in a different way. Isn't that what this board proud to talk about? Dissenting views?

No, you win it through a popularity contest. That's it. Apparently we have a lot of wannabe bullies in the US, not like that wasn't a shocker. Trump has made a lot of promises to a lot of people and reneged on a lot of them, and a lot of people bought the hype.

Not enough that he won the popular vote though. Isn't it great that we have a system that gives more power to the states with less people in them? Sounds democratic.
Yikes.

It would seem you've gone off on a tangent, as I expected. This thread is about if Trump gets the Nobel prize if...and you asked how he helped.

Your now back to the election and how unfair it was, and blaming and name calling everyone who voted for him. This is a sound strategy for different results next time.

For the record, again;

I didn't vote for Trump. For the first time in my adult life I didn't vote. I hated both candidates that much. Even im surprised at how well he's handled N. Korea and if this gets done, he should end up with the peace prize.

I'm sure if it does get done some folks will find a way that the narrative is that this got done in spite of Trump.

I expected nothing from Trump. So far I can't believe what he's got done and I hope he continues this level of success.

Yikes.

It would seem you've gone off on a tangent, as I expected. This thread is about if Trump gets the Nobel prize if...and you asked how he helped.

Your now back to the election and how unfair it was, and blaming and name calling everyone who voted for him. This is a sound strategy for different results next time.

For the record, again;

I didn't vote for Trump. For the first time in my adult life I didn't vote. I hated both candidates that much. Even im surprised at how well he's handled N. Korea and if this gets done, he should end up with the peace prize.

I'm sure if it does get done some folks will find a way that the narrative is that this got done in spite of Trump.

I expected nothing from Trump. So far I can't believe what he's got done and I hope he continues this level of success.

You referred to the election after saying "You don't become president by accident", I just followed it up.

That's the point, he hasn't handled NK at all. This is something that was happening anyway and he's taking credit for.

As for tough guy Trump? https://www.thedailybeast.com/russia-we-told-the-us-where-in-syria-it-couldnt-bomb

Yeah, I don't believe that vision.

It's true that Trump didn't do anything about NK by himself. The country is under a lot of pressure pre Trump with escalating sanctions, and he made it worse with even more damaging sanctions. Hopefully they're just tired of being poor, but we'll see.

They're making moves with everyone else apparently.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom