• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dog Age - Official Man's Best Friend Thread

Curufinwe

shas'la said:
well Dog GAF, i've had my puppy Hiro for a week now, and i'm a lot more chilled out, he's stopped yapping, and only pees in the house once a day and never poop's! He's still a massive coward, biggest of the little and most scared! but yeh 2nd puppy class next week i've got to get him to "stay" which will be nearly impossible as he craves people affection/touch more than FOOD! ( saying a lot for a 3/4 pug!). Anyway here he is;

What is the other quarter? My Pug just turned six, but he's still small and still crazy.

100_5160.jpg

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
took this a few months ago, one of the rare pictures where she (Gracie) actually sat still for a few seconds.

gUNPA.jpg

Jeff25987

Neo Member
kevo_huevo said:
It does sound awesome. He's just about 25-30 lbs, so in theory he won't be too crazy to handle (hopefully). I am mostly excited to start training with him. Apparently the ACD and Pembroke Corgi ranked as the #10 and #11 most intelligent dogs. So once we get obedience down, I'd love to teach him off leash and get him into flyball or something.

Sunday cannot come any sooner!

Don't know much about Corgis other than they're herding dogs just like ACD's. Sounds like a great combination, and they're both incredibly hardy breeds, too. Should have many years of enjoyment ahead of you. :) ACD's are so smart...the possibilities for training seem limitless. Only restriction is my free time lol.

Nix

Banned
Seeing Dog-Gaf makes me sad =(. My ex-girlfriend took our Golden retriever (which I loved and which loved me back!) , and the husky (Sho) that was left has something of a love-hate relationship with me.

If there was dog Tsundere he would be it. He doesn't want to be fed or walked by other people, yet he repeatedly antagonizes me, even with training. The thing is, he never used to do this with my ex or my mom, so I'm wondering if this is a control thing or what? By the way, he's turning 10 this year (human years), and he's been with me for 9 years and around 5 months, if that's any help. I'm wondering if Husky's are just harder to tame =(.

Jos said:
Some updates on Mila - our Husky / Lab cross. She's now 4 months, and growing very fast!

ZIgsGl.jpg

MK9P7l.jpg

xTIbXl.jpg
She is god damn adorable! Congrats. This thread makes me miss my American Bulldog/Lab cross Malina. Wife and I wish we could have her right now but she is staying with my parents until we get a house.

Apologies for the shit camera on my phone, but here is my Akita, Oscar, who turns 10 weeks old on Tuesday. He's an awesome dog, only took about a week to toilet train him, he slept outside in his kennell on the first night, and is really easy going and playful. Cant wait to watch him grow up :)

IMAG0272.jpg

IMAG0270.jpg

IMAG0264.jpg

IMAG0262.jpg

So the dog my gf and I are adopting has been in doggie boarding school for the past week. He'll be there til Friday, then, we will be welcoming him home! We took an hour drive to visit him at his boarding location this past Saturday, where he's learning to sleep in a crate at night and plays with other dogs all day.
7-25-2011%2525209-47-50%252520AM.jpg

This is Spreckles, soon to be Günnar. He's pretty well behaved, 99% accident free indoors, gets along well with other dogs, but he plays rough with the little guys. Only four more days!

One question I have is about doggie doors:
He's used to using a doggie door form his previous owner. We can get a sliding door insert like this, but we live on the second floor. I'm a little worried about letting him eliminate on the balcony patio when we're not home, but I feel like it's very convenient and useful for him to continue to have a doggie door. Do you guys think the doggie door would be okay for him at our place?

Hi Gaf, I'm super excited.

Just made my deposit on my first puppy (well, MY first puppy... grew up with dogs, but they were the family dogs).

An itty bitty Boston Terrier that I'm going to name Duncan.

2011-07-29+15.02.40.jpg

2011-07-29+15.02.45.jpg

2011-07-29+15.09.08.jpg

He won't be ready for another six weeks or so. Sept 11 is the day I get to take him home :)

I grew up with pugs, so I'm glad to see a lot of pug owners in this thread. I love pugs, but I wanted a dog with alittle more energy. I have a smallish house so I still had to get a small dog, but I can't wait!

BTW, Duncan's full name will be Ser Duncan the Tall... Dunk the Lunk... Thick as a Castle Wall, from a Song of Ice and Fire series (really, from the Tales of Dunk & Egg, but he also gets mention in most of the ASoIaF books as well). It's also one of my favorite Paul Simon songs (Lincoln Duncan).

Spent two nice weeks at my parents' summerhouse. Was really nice to have Shikko run around in so much nature 24/7. Getting close to 9 months old now, so I anticipate a difficult teenage period coming up, eventhough I doubt it's gonna be bad with how great Shikko is coping with everything.

shikkosummer1.jpg

shikkosummer2.jpg

shikkosummer3.jpg

shikkosummer4.jpg

shikkosummer5.jpg

shikkosummer6.jpg

shikkosummer7.jpg

Took him to an agility course as he really likes jumping over stuff(too bad it isn't good for his bones at this age otherwise we would be doing agility training already). Except for the tilting plank which made a loud noise when it banged against the ground he clearly enjoyed every aspect of the agility course.

Zyzyxxz

Tapiozona said:
What kind of dog is that? Looks like a jack russell/Chihuahua mix. Looks like a fun dog. Nice quality pictures too.
I know its part Chihuahua but I thought she was mini pinscher too and now I'm not sure.

She is a fun dog but quite troublesome.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Amazing thread, but all these pics makes me miss mine. She died last year, I cried a lot. :( Will never get one again, too painful.

Tenks

What is Dog-GAF's opinion on blue merle dogs? Specifically blue merle Cardigan Welsh Corgis. I am in talks with a breeder and told them I'd prefer a blue merle Cardigan but she told me there are a few others who have requested blues and there is no guarantee I could get one. I could wait about 6 months when she will co-breed a separate litter that features a blue merle bitch (in this breed the blue merle is the stud) but all my dogly instincts are telling me if a b&w corgi comes out that has a perfect personality I should just snatch that. The bitch is b&w and the stud is blue merle.

My GF and I both really, really want a blue merle dog. They look awesome :(

Great looking dog pegusas. How did you come about getting that dog? He looks like the size and look I love. Wife and I enjoy Terriers but my god there are so many different kinds I don't know where to start.
Had to put down our 14 yr old Cairn Terrier 2 weeks ago. Man I didn't think I'd be as devestated. Anyways we are slowly looking into getting another dog. Would rather get a rescue dog but are not writing off getting a puppy.

Anyone have experience having only 1 spoiled dog for about 5-6 years and then getting a second dog? I'm on the fence about grabbing another dog, but am not sure how the current dog would take it. He's quite spoiled and a total attention whore.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Don't know if I already posted in here or not, but...

10427_133604052095_611502095_3036704_3618708_n.jpg

That's Riley. She's a pure bred yellow lab. This is an older picture, but she's still about the same, only 2 years older :). Best dog I've ever had. Ridiculously obedient, and knows a ton of tricks.

edit-

few months here

n611502095_2524689_6893980.jpg

and the first day I got her.

n611502095_2326945_1744506.jpg

Pagusas

Elden Member
CitizenCope said:
Great looking dog pegusas. How did you come about getting that dog? He looks like the size and look I love. Wife and I enjoy Terriers but my god there are so many different kinds I don't know where to start.
Had to put down our 14 yr old Cairn Terrier 2 weeks ago. Man I didn't think I'd be as devestated. Anyways we are slowly looking into getting another dog. Would rather get a rescue dog but are not writing off getting a puppy.

I rescued him from a kill shelter in central Illinois. I did it on the 1 year aniversery of my previous dog (a 20 year old Schnauzer) dying. To remember him on that day I told my self "I'm saving a dog". So I did.

Tenks said:
What is Dog-GAF's opinion on blue merle dogs? Specifically blue merle Cardigan Welsh Corgis. I am in talks with a breeder and told them I'd prefer a blue merle Cardigan but she told me there are a few others who have requested blues and there is no guarantee I could get one. I could wait about 6 months when she will co-breed a separate litter that features a blue merle bitch (in this breed the blue merle is the stud) but all my dogly instincts are telling me if a b&w corgi comes out that has a perfect personality I should just snatch that. The bitch is b&w and the stud is blue merle.

My GF and I both really, really want a blue merle dog. They look awesome :(
This is what happened to me and my gf. We fell in love with the Icelandic Sheepdog and just knew we had to get one in fox brown. Fast forward to february this year and the perfect opportunity arises if we take this white Icelandic Sheepdog.
Now we got the most perfefct dog in the universe :p And I'm pretty sure you'll feel that way no matter what you choose.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
KCHusker33 said:
Anyone have experience having only 1 spoiled dog for about 5-6 years and then getting a second dog? I'm on the fence about grabbing another dog, but am not sure how the current dog would take it. He's quite spoiled and a total attention whore.

Yes, I'm in that exact situation.

I have a female golden who is 6 years old now. I got a baby puppy back in March... she REALLY hated it for about 2 weeks, but eventually she got over it and plays with him almost daily now.

Kagari said:

I have a female golden who is 6 years old now. I got a baby puppy back in March... she REALLY hated it for about 2 weeks, but eventually she got over it and plays with him almost daily now.

Good to hear. We've got a lab-shephard mix right now and he just turned five. We are tempted to grab another dog to keep him company and I just keep going back and forth with it.

If we do get one I think I'll look to get a female dog who's a good 15-20 pounds smaller than him. He's always been more comfortable with smaller dogs.

Kagari said:

Yeah this is what I hear out in the street from people. It usually take around 1 to 2 weeks before they start accepting the new puppy.

teruterubozu said:
Update: Noah @4 months
Beautiful!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
KCHusker33 said:
Good to hear. We've got a lab-shephard mix right now and he just turned five. We are tempted to grab another dog to keep him company and I just keep going back and forth with it.

If we do get one I think I'll look to get a female dog who's a good 15-20 pounds smaller than him. He's always been more comfortable with smaller dogs.

It's definitely best to pair them with opposites. Two boys or two girls together get really obnoxious, especially if you're bringing in a younger one.

Top Bottom