• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dog Age - Official Man's Best Friend Thread

Jos

Cheska said:
The last picture is so freakin cute Jos! Hope you're prepared for some pretty crazy Husky behavior :D

She is definitely a heart breaker! Not our first husky cross. Her older brother looks like this, and the lab seems to mellow them out nicely.

337spl.jpg

Gowans

Metroid Killer said:
Fuck yeah! Good job!
Thanks man, today will be a test, he's going to be in the house all day on his own for the first time (I'm upstairs working for home).

He's getting so good now, taking us to the back door when he wants a wee or poo knowing what we want him to do when we take him outside.

My future wife and I just got a pembroke corgie! she is so sweet, I call her my precious but her name is Alta, named after the ski resort I bummed at for years before moving. She arrived in our home at 7 weeks of age, now going on 12 weeks and growing by the day!

9merT.jpg

perfect happy puppy pic

MXRz4.jpg

FDYnm.jpg

My little alta with my her grandma

pMgcw.jpg

NSFW?

UWh1Y.jpg

MyT8Q.jpg

Enjoying her icepack on a hot AZ day as usual

kSzH7.jpg

Gotta love how she sleeps on her back, so cute!

BlackSalad said:
My future wife and I just got a pembroke corgie! she is so sweet, I call her my precious but her name is Alta, named after the ski resort I bummed at for years before moving. She arrived in our home at 7 weeks of age, now going on 12 weeks and growing by the day!

edit, moving pics to not imageshack
^That is one cute puppy! insert 4 lines of dawwww here :)

Taking my puppy to the vet in an hour. He has been snorting(? something with his nose I think) for 3 weeks now, I'm afraid it's a heart-lung worm, eventhough I was told the symptoms don't show via snorting (etc.).

Metroid Killer said:
^That is one cute puppy! insert 4 lines of dawwww here :)

Taking my puppy to the vet in an hour. He has been snorting(? something with his nose I think) for 3 weeks now, I'm afraid it's a heart-lung worm, eventhough I was told the symptoms don't show via snorting (etc.).

=( hope everything is ok, puppies are so fragile, i worry all the time that Alta stays healthy. Good luck! I'm sure she's fine!

BlackSalad said:
=( hope everything is ok, puppies are so fragile, i worry all the time that Alta stays healthy. Good luck! I'm sure she's fine!
Yeah I guess worrying is big part of being responsible of another creature (human beings or not). I was at the vet a few weeks ago and mentioned the 'snorting' where I was told it most likely wasn't heart worms as the symptoms were different.

But yesterday on my walk Shikko started snorting as I was talking to another dog owner who immediately said that reminded her about heart worms and that her dog almost died from it :(

=( Here is to hoping its just allergies. good luck to you sir. Sounds like you're pretty on top of it though, so even worst case scenario, you still seemed to have caught it early.

Tenck

BlackSalad said:

[imgs]

Gotta love how she sleeps on her back, so cute!

Oh you live in AZ? When can I go over and kidn......meet your dog?

Phew, no worms, and eyes were slightly irritated as well suggesrting it's allergies or a cold or something. Got some eyedrops that most likely will take away any snorting as well.

Phew

Why does it cost so much erase your worries though ;_; If my wallet was a dog he would be Shikko's mortal enemy.

Also I wish there were more corgis in my area, I've only met two and they don't show up that often, but damn they are good playmates.

Cheska

Metroid Killer said:
Yeah I guess worrying is big part of being responsible of another creature (human beings or not). I was at the vet a few weeks ago and mentioned the 'snorting' where I was told it most likely wasn't heart worms as the symptoms were different.

But yesterday on my walk Shikko started snorting as I was talking to another dog owner who immediately said that reminded her about heart worms and that her dog almost died from it :(

Heartworms are transmitted through mosquito bites, and cause congestive heart problems. Do you have foxtails in your area? It's very possible your dog sniffed one up and it's now lodged in his nose until a doctor can get in there and pull it out. Has he been sneezing blood as well?

Tenck

Metroid Killer said:
Phew, no worms, and eyes were slightly irritated as well suggesrting it's allergies or a cold or something. Got some eyedrops that most likely will take away any snorting as well.

Phew

Why does it cost so much erase your worries though ;_; If my wallet was a dog he would be Shikko's mortal enemy.

Also I wish there were more corgis in my area, I've only met two and they don't show up that often, but damn they are good playmates.

It's all worth it though. I have three dogs that I love and would never think twice about opening up my wallet for them.

I want to hug them right now, but they're asleep right now :'(

I can't remember if I posted pics so this is my Pembroke Welsh Corgi, Rogue...

f5hu1l.jpg

VuCiDl.jpg

She was crying at the door this morning so I figured she had to go outside and do her business. So I open the bedroom door, she bolts out and I head back to bed. I then get a knock on the door from my buddy's wife (they're staying with me until they get back on their feet) saying that the dog pooped in the living room. So I walk out there and it was ground zero. She must not have gone at all yesterday because there was logs everywhere. If I wasn't so pissed, I would've taken a pic. It was impressive for such a little dog. I was very angry though. Her dog door was only about 10 feet away from the site of the accident and she uses it all the time. It's a weird thing. As long as someone is around, she knows to go outside. If she's unsupervised, she goes where she pleases. It's like she knows it's bad because she doesn't even attempt it when there's people around. No one has ever caught her trying to go in the house. Oh well. I was late for work because I had to clean all that up and her nice blotch of pee too. It was 10 days since her last accident so I guess it's getting better. It used to be every other day. Hurray for progress!

Something tells me that we are lucky we have dogs and not monkeys, just the thought of a pet being able to grab its poop and fling it all over the room makes me shudder.

This was always one of my favorite topics as a lurker, now I can finally post in it. This is Onyong, named after the adopted brother in Arrested Development (I know it's spelled incorrectly...)

Here's Onyong as a puppy:

And here's a more recent picture:

Zyzyxxz

Even though I've had my dog for only half a year I still want a Corgi as a playmate for my dog.

The fact is I never owned a dog until now and getting a Corgi was my first choice since I love the breed.

Just for future reference for maybe a few years down the line, how did you Corgi owners find your dog? I'm wary about breeders/puppy mills and the cost seems insane sometimes too.

I totally just lost my whole post because of the stupid back button on my mouse.

Anyway, I adopted Rogue. I joined adoption mailing lists and they let me know when they would get Corgi's. I saw this purebred and got very lucky. Now she's happily pooping and peeing all over my house. <3

there have been so many posts about people's dogs dying this past week. i had to come in here for some puppy pictures to balance it out.

shas'la

well Dog GAF, i've had my puppy Hiro for a week now, and i'm a lot more chilled out, he's stopped yapping, and only pees in the house once a day and never poop's! He's still a massive coward, biggest of the little and most scared! but yeh 2nd puppy class next week i've got to get him to "stay" which will be nearly impossible as he craves people affection/touch more than FOOD! ( saying a lot for a 3/4 pug!). Anyway here he is;

Hiro by shasla, on Flickr

hiro &lt;3's carrot by shasla, on Flickr

planning something naughty. by shasla, on Flickr

Quacking

teruterubozu said:
He should be with his mother for at least 8 weeks.

Metroid Killer said:
She is really adorable, but 6 weeks? Seems criminally low to take a puppy home...

She's born 25 may, so the weeks are 7, I didn't notice we are already at 7/11!
Anyways she's doing fine, so I'm not worried about it.

Damn dogs are awesome. Best thread idea. I have an english bulldog named Peach. Besides being as fucking stubborn as their reputation says, she is the most awesome dog I have ever had.

I am looking for a new brand of food for her, since Bulldog tend to have allergy problems. It looks like 'good dog food' (I am reading dogfoodadvisor.com, which doesn't seem bad) is usually called good dog food partly on the basis on not having a ton of filler - which usually means you can feed them less.

While I do want my dog to get all the good stuff and grow a healthy dog, the thing is - she fucking loves eating (we're good about not overfeeding her so she's not fat, but she is one of those dogs who would eat anything with a passion), so I feel a bit bad about getting her new food that she'll get a micro-spoonful of every day (especially since she is not superactive, like most bulldogs :) ). So, I ordered some fish-based blue buffalo wilderness, but I can already tell she is going to be outraged when her food serving decrease in size.

Yeah, all the advice on dog food can make your head spin. I read dogfoodadvisor and tried to get my pup to switch to Wellness, but he didn't like it at all. Sometimes those "first three meat ingredient" foods are just too rich. I feed him Royal Canin which has "filler" but he loves it so I decided to stick with it. My vet actually doesn't recommend a lot of those foods with 4 & 5 stars on that site. She said a lot of them are not lab tested and may not offer a fully rounded diet (like for coat, eyes, learning functions, digestion, etc.).

Soma

rocksteady1983 said:
Sorry to hear about that. Did he go missing? Or are you just away from him?
oh nah, i've just been away from home for a while. i really can't wait to go back home for a bit to see him and my other dog Chloe:

jIKDp.jpg

Such great dogs. Miss 'em to death.

Jeff25987

Neo Member
My Red Heeler/Australian Cattle Dog, Aggro.

NYeM2.jpg

eHMJnh.jpg

About 9 months old now. Most energetic dog i have ever seen. Is always following someone around too so the name is perfect :p. Love having a dog. :)

Edit: Just saw we got another cattle dog in the thread! Great looking dog, PigSpeakers. How much does yours weigh? Mine is only 9 months old and already weighs 45 pounds, the average weight of a full grown one according to most sources.(hes not chubby at all just incredibly muscular)

Having the same behavior problems as you, mostly due to the fact that I didn't socialize him as much as i should have when he was a very young puppy...so hes very suspicious of strangers. Other than that a VERY loving dog, if not a little too hyper. :p

So the gf and I are going to meet a dog we found on petfinder on Sunday:
CA1446.20115414-3-pn.jpg

CA1446.20115414-1-pn.jpg

He's 3 years old and listed as an australian cattle dog/corgi mix. What breed(s) do you think this dog might be? I've asked the owner and the rescue, and they both don't know it's true lineage.

Also, for those of you that have adopted, is it difficult to try and change the name of a dog? I read it should only take a few days, but there doesn't seem to be a clear consensus as to what the best methods are of actually changing its name.

qft34.jpg

My dog name was Pikachu. I miss the bastard and to this day when I open the door I think of him. I'm ready for a new dog and I want a Pembroke Welsh Corgi so seeing pictures in this threads makes me go daaaww i so want that and they seems so smart and playful.
Also that Aggro where he is smiling, such an awesome photo.

kevo_huevo said:
So the gf and I are going to meet a dog we found on petfinder on Sunday:
CA1446.20115414-3-pn.jpg

CA1446.20115414-1-pn.jpg

He's 3 years old and listed as an australian cattle dog/corgi mix. What breed(s) do you think this dog might be? I've asked the owner and the rescue, and they both don't know it's true lineage.

Also, for those of you that have adopted, is it difficult to try and change the name of a dog? I read it should only take a few days, but there doesn't seem to be a clear consensus as to what the best methods are of actually changing its name.
I was going to say there was corgi in him before you wrote what mix he might be, and considering the other user said ACD I don't think it's unreasonable to think that is the correct mix. Which sounds like an awesome mix to be honest.

Metroid Killer said:
I was going to say there was corgi in him before you wrote what mix he might be, and considering the other user said ACD I don't think it's unreasonable to think that is the correct mix. Which sounds like an awesome mix to be honest.

It does sound awesome. He's just about 25-30 lbs, so in theory he won't be too crazy to handle (hopefully). I am mostly excited to start training with him. Apparently the ACD and Pembroke Corgi ranked as the #10 and #11 most intelligent dogs. So once we get obedience down, I'd love to teach him off leash and get him into flyball or something.

Sunday cannot come any sooner!

Poigea

Awesome thread. Here are my two dogs, both rescues.

Buddy, an Australian shepherd mix
Buddy.jpg

Murdoc, a pit/lab/mutt mix
Murdoc.jpg

Top Bottom