• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dog Age - Official Man's Best Friend Thread

Valhalla

Banned
PfpuO.jpg

My dog, the best dog ever, who is also a big jerk. Here he is, hiding from the sun.

Cheska

Gowans007 said:
Well last night went crap.

Cage in bedroom right next to bed and the pup barked and barked and barked, ignored him for 20mins but by then the neighbours will be getting mega pissed of as he was loud.

He just wanted to be at the bottom of the bed which we do not want at all but after the four hours sleep from last night and not to wake our poorly sleeping two year old we did the worst possible thing and let the pup have his own way.

HELP!

Are you putting him in his crate during the day too?

The Lamp

My dog has a strange lump on her belly that grew out of nowhere. If I tease it she kind of puts her head down there and licks my hand, as if it tickles her and is sensitive, but doesn't really hurt. It's kind of squishy but not like soft/watery kind of squishy, and a little firm.

Took her to the vet and said it might just be a fat deposit but they can't know for certain unless we do a biopsy. Doesn't seem to be interfering with her or hurting her. But we can't afford a biopsy right now so it'll have to wait.

amateur vetGAF, do you think it might be cancer? I don't know how tumors affect dogs...

She's a blue-heeler mut mix, if that helps.

hmm I say try the same thing tonight, but stick to it this time. I know it's so easy for me to say, but it's just one night, overcome it correctly and it'll get better each day.

If he barks non-stop for half of the night, consider going a step back and for instance the next night try sleeping on the floor on a matress next to the crate.

Unfortunately these things just take time. Taking the puppy out of the because he wants it, sets you back a few days. Patience, patience, patience. Let your neighbours know that you have a new puppy, give some wine to let them know you apprieciate their tolerance.

Good luck. The first few days kinda sucks since all the frustrations almost overshadow the good things :p

Gowans

Yeah I'll speak to the neighbours tonight.

Tomorrow will be interesting my Mrs works part time and will be out Thurs-Fri's so it will be a very different day.

I'm gona work from home then tho.

Cheska

The Lamp said:
My dog has a strange lump on her belly that grew out of nowhere. If I tease it she kind of puts her head down there and licks my hand, as if it tickles her and is sensitive, but doesn't really hurt. It's kind of squishy but not like soft/watery kind of squishy, and a little firm.

Took her to the vet and said it might just be a fat deposit but they can't know for certain unless we do a biopsy. Doesn't seem to be interfering with her or hurting her. But we can't afford a biopsy right now so it'll have to wait.

amateur vetGAF, do you think it might be cancer? I don't know how tumors affect dogs...

She's a blue-heeler mut mix, if that helps.

Lipomas (fat deposits) are really common in dogs, especially as they get older. They are harmless and nothing to worry about. However, dogs can get malignant tumors too, which are diagnosed by sending out a sample to the lab. I know doing the actual biopsy can be expensive because it's generally an anesthetic procedure, but you should ask your vet if they can just do an aspirate of the mass and look at it themselves rather than sending it out. That should only cost you around $100, and most lipomas can be diagnosed immediately when they take their sample.

Gowans007 said:
Yup, only got the crate yesterday tho.

Try to make being in the crate a happy experience. If you're home watching tv or playing games, leave the crate open and fill it with toys/some of his favorite things. The ultimate purpose of crate training your puppy is to teach him to hold his bladder, so you don't want to leave your puppy in there for more than 6 hours at a time. Make sure to reward him EVERY time he goes outside to potty. Some people will tell you that allowing your dog to sleep on your bed can cause dominance issues, and while that may be true, I've never had any issues with that. My dogs sleep in bed with me every night and will literally not get up until I wake up. The beauty of crate training :) It really will make your life so much easier in the future, especially if you plan on traveling or boarding your pet somewhere. Most pets even end up loving their crate, it becomes sort of their safe haven.

Gowans007 said:
Yeah I'll speak to the neighbours tonight.

Tomorrow will be interesting my Mrs works part time and will be out Thurs-Fri's so it will be a very different day.

I'm gona work from home then tho.

How old is your pup?

You gotta make the crate a positive place. Throw your dirty sock/sweatshirt in there filled with your smell. Put a hot water bottle wrapped in a blanket that feels like body heat. Put a ticking clock in there like mommy's heartbeat. Feed him in there, put treats in there, chew toys, etc. It has to be comfortable in there. Like a king/queen's palace.

Gowans

teruterubozu said:
How old is your pup?

You gotta make the crate a positive place. Throw your dirty sock/sweatshirt in there filled with your smell. Put a hot water bottle wrapped in a blanket that feels like body heat. Put a ticking clock in there like mommy's heartbeat. Feed him in there, put treats in there, chew toys, etc. It has to be comfortable in there. Like a king/queen's palace.

He's 3 1/2 month but a big bugger. Tried all of those steps, might try and get him some soft toys he loves my Mrs slippers.

He just seems really really clingy, which is to be expected at his age and the fact he's only been out of the shelter and with us since Sunday

Hmmm yeah. It may be too late for crate training at this point unless you get professional trainer help. Once the dog's been on your bed, you pretty much lost the battle.

Gowans

teruterubozu said:
Hmmm yeah. It may be too late for crate training at this point unless you get professional trainer help. Once the dog's been on your bed, you pretty much lost the battle.
God I hope not, I guess tonight's gona be a tough night then.

Gowans007 said:
God I hope not, I guess tonight's gona be a tough night then.

First impressions are vital with puppies. As soon as your new puppy walked into the house, he should have been introduced to the crate. If you let him have the run of the house and then suddenly restrict, you are in for a tough correction process.

One thing I would suggest is to put the crate on a sturdy table next to your bed so the dog can see you at eye-level and feel a little more comfortable at night.

teruterubozu said:
One thing I would suggest is to put the crate on a sturdy table next to your bed so the dog can see you at eye-level and feel a little more comfortable at night.
Yeah, without being an expert, I think the key here is to gradually move your puppy away from you each night + making the crate the best thing in the whole world.

My dog is prone to barking a lot(he's a herding dog afterall), but luckily he has never had any problems barking at night even though we sleep in a seperate room. Spent the first 10 days sleeping with him in the living room and then 3 days gradually moving into our bedroom. But when left alone during daytime is a completely different situation, barks/whines a lot, doesn't make it easier when we just spent 5 days at my parents and pretty much never left him alone. :/ So hard work the next few days for me as well.

Metroid Killer said:
Yeah, without being an expert, I think the key here is to gradually move your puppy away from you each night + making the crate the best thing in the whole world.

Yup, then when he gets comfortable, put the crate, right outside your door, then further down the hall, then into the kitchen, etc.

Hello, dog-GAF. This is the family dog Marmite, he's a Patterdale Terrier, I believe. He's about 18 months now.

He sleep most of the day and goes out of his way to find the sunniest patch in or out of the house. He loves being cuddled and get quite moody when you don't give him attention, and if you are hugging anyone else he will nuzzle his way between you to make sure he's not missing out. He does is steal socks, however, though he doesn't care for any other clothing.

He's recently worked out that if he nudges his tennis ball with his nose, it will roll away quite fast, (we have laminate flooring). This simple act will amuse him for hours, along with nudging the ball off the sofa so it has the same effect.

untitled-1gem4.jpg

untitled-2sdj7.jpg

Oh no! The puppy is winning!

A lot of good suggestions in here. What you might have to do now is actually sleep next to the crate. This was already suggested, but I think that's the way to go. He just wants to be near you. Just increase the distance between you and pup a slight bit every night and you'll eventually be back on your bed.

For me, I positioned the crate on the opposite wall of the bed. This let my pup see straight out the crate door to where I was sleeping and I could see her. Although, this was at five months and she was already crate trained. The only time she got really loud was when she absolutely had to go outside.

Do not fret! Things do get easier. I promise!

Edit: That pup above me is too cute! He looks like a character.

joelseph

Gowans007 said:

Cage in bedroom right next to bed and the pup barked and barked and barked, ignored him for 20mins but by then the neighbours will be getting mega pissed of as he was loud.

He just wanted to be at the bottom of the bed which we do not want at all but after the four hours sleep from last night and not to wake our poorly sleeping two year old we did the worst possible thing and let the pup have his own way.

HELP!

The first couple nights are the worse, you got to stick to your guns! Talk to the neighbor and let them know that this will happen for another day or two tops. Get ear plugs and just ignore him. he knows he can get attention from the barking, the first night you ignore it he will learn. The next night it won't last more than 20 minutes guaranteed. 1 month from now he will be wanting to sleep in his cage.

Alot of good tips, another tip is two have 2 cages. One smaller more enclosed cage for during the day, one larger more open wire cage in the bedroom full of their own blankets for sleeping. Make the bedroom cage their place.

joelseph

My dachshund Myles Fancypants sleeps like this under as many blankets as he can find. In the dead of summer. Here is me excavating the beast from slumber...

q1DZf.jpg

lljride

Dachshunds are the best, I'll have to upload a couple of pictures when I get home. We have two and they're the greatest things in the world.

My wife's taking one of ours to the vet today, just to be safe. He was out in the backyard last night barking (not that unusual unfortunately), but when he came in he was over excited and foaming at the mouth. We watched him for a while and he calmed down after about 10 minutes, but it freaked the shit out of us. He had a seizure about a year ago, but the vet said he was perfectly fine when we took him right after. Not sure if this new outburst is related or not, but we'll find out.

Thanks for the leash tips yesterday. Last night I was walking in circles with my dog so we'll see if she improves in a few weeks.

Gowans007 said:

Water spray bottles are magic! I got my puppy to stop barking at night by spraying her when she did. It was a wet week but now she sleeps in the crate on her own and doesn't bark. Thats said she didn't start barking baddly until I tried moving the crate out of my room after about month. Spraying may not be right for a first impression but it might be worth a shot

Also you can try taking them out to potty when they bark but no talking and no fun. Just potty and right back in the crate. After a few trips the puppy will notice barking isn't getting them what they want plus it might tire them out some

SPEA

Here are mine. Both are rescues. I have a dachsen/cocker mix and a Pom.

Ewok is the Pom. Tobias is the mix.
201019_543549193054_215301050_31653977_7024124_o.jpg

219119_543448110624_215300381_31652229_633854_o.jpg

249640_545457912964_215301050_31679000_2426025_n.jpg

166450_533108441404_215300381_31565370_7107664_n.jpg

Anybody here have any experience with Staffordshire Bull Terriers? Not American Staffies or American Pit Bulls, but UK Staffordshires? I'm probably going to get a dog within the next few months and I've really settled on the Staffie, but I've been disapointed to hear that my city has Staffordshire restrictions under pitbull legislation... which is pretty unfounded for all I've read, but there's nothing I can really do about it.

Any Staffordshire bull terrier owners here on Le Gaffe?

BobDylan said:
My family got a new puppy a month ago. she has some beagle in her and we dont know what else. got her from a shelter. the pics are of her at 3 months, now she is 4 months old. Named her Kima(from da wire)

kLQVHl.jpg

There's definitely some pug in that dog somewhere, the tell-tail sign...

HamPster PamPster said:
Thanks for the leash tips yesterday. Last night I was walking in circles with my dog so we'll see if she improves in a few weeks.
In order not to go completely crazy from turning around all the time, I suggest doing leash training in a big field or a cemetary. There's something about turning all the time on a straight path that makes me click, so I found a cemetary nearby where there will always be a couple of paths to choose from when turning around ^^

mkenyon

Banned
My new puppy, Daphne. She's a Pyrenees mix (people said pyrenees with Golden Retriever). 13 weeks old and already about 18.5 lbs.

oRTNy.jpg

vpB4M.jpg

My father is a mountaineer and wants to train her for rescue. I think we'll take her up to the Cascades this summer and see how she likes the mountains. It is in her blood, afterall.

She has a ton of herder instinct. She actually herds our cats, and has wanted to do the same to some goats out where my wife rides. She's done really well with our horses too, so proud of her!

I'm also fortunate enough to work at a family business, so she goes everywhere with me, even to work (where the pictures are).

Zyzyxxz

teruterubozu said:

not exactly true at first I gave in to my puppy and she wouldn't quiet unless she was in my bed at 2 months but eventually we got back to crate training, unfortunately its a uhappy place for her so in failed in that regard but I got her a bed a few months back and she's been only sleeping in her own bed since then. The only time she gets into my bed is when she wants to wake me up so I can take her out to poo/pee or during the normal day when I'm around and she'll just lie on my bed to be lazy.

Yeah, I know. I meant in regards to positive crate training specifically. All dogs will eventually begrudge the crate, but some will go in willingly more than others (for traveling, for example). It's cool that your dog found its own place to sleep. Some people are stuck with Great Danes on their beds!

HylianTom

Banned
GrassyJake.jpg

Jake's getting pretty old now. Definitely slowing down. He'll be 14 in September. He's gone from walking 3-to-4 miles a day to maybe a mile or two. He's incontinent during sleep and must wear a small diaper around his waist. He sometimes goes into a senile stare while we're out walking around the neighborhood.

Still, he's not in pain.. he takes his daily meds, sleeps a ton, and eats really well. Life is comfortable, it seems. Incredibly, his lab values all came back normal during last month's vet visit, and when the vet asked us what we feed him, we told her.. "Whatever he wants." If we're having steak, he gets steak. If we're making pork chops, one of them is his. At this age, he can have whatever he wants.

I don't sleep in my bed upstairs any more. His bed is in the living room, and I sleep on the couch next to him. My partner and I have our work schedules set such that he's seldom alone for more than 2 hours.

Dad tells me that everyone has that one dog in their lifetime that will always stick with you in your mind. His was Duke, a beagle he had until 1984. Grandma's was Snoopy, a mutt that served as her shadow back in the 1960s; decades after he was gone, she would call-out his name in her sleep from time to time. Jake is my "Snoopy," no doubt. I'm cherishing every day that I have with him.

I'm off to lay on the floor with him until bedtime. Goodnight, Dog Age.

Zyzyxxz

Almost brings a tear to me eye!

I barely had my girl for half a year and its been a trying and good learning experience. I can't imagine how the next 10 years will go with her.

Oh boy, a doggy thread! This is my dog. His name is Chingu, which is Korean for friend or buddy. My mom named him when she was watching a lot of Korean dramas during the writers strike several years back. He's around 4 years old, and we got him not long after our other dog died of cushings. He's an Australian Cattle Dog red heeler and has way too much energy sometimes.
9VE3K.jpg

This is generally his spot on the couch, but he has a tendency to lay wherever he wants regardless of what's in that spot, even if it's you.

He has a couple behavioral issues, most involving barking. Whenever someone rings the doorbell, he'll fly into a rage of barking. Sometimes he'll just bark out the front window for no good reason as far as we can tell. He'll also incessantly bark at anything that passes by the fence in the back yard. Most of the time he's a very sweet dog. I have about a million pictures of him on my phone with pitiful looks on his face or him doing something weird which is often.

bigswords

Birbo said:
So I have a question for Dog-GAF I've been wanting to asking, but afraid to bring up;

I have a Shepard/Lab mix named Logan. He is pushing 13 years old and is the best dog I've ever had. He is loving, good tempered, follows me around everywhere, obeys me, is great with my kids, can trust him to lay in the grass sans leash while I cut the lawn and has a multitude of other great qualities.

Lately, Logan is starting to show his age. He's still a puppy at heart, but his body won't let he act like one any more. I find myself thinking about his mortality more every time he can't stand himself up or falls over because his legs give out on him. I've had to put dogs down before, but like I said, he's the best I've ever had. He's a big baby and cries when he isn't with me. I'm wondering if anyone has ever been with their dog at the very end, while they were being put down? Is that even an option? I don't know that I could be there while that happened, but I wouldn't want him to be alone or think that I left him.

For my case they allowed you or family to be there for the whole procedure. The Vet will leave you with the dog first and when you are ready he will administer the drug.

Dead Man

HylianTom said:
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e323/HylianTom/GrassyJake.jpg[IMG]

Jake's getting pretty old now. Definitely slowing down. He'll be 14 in September. He's gone from walking 3-to-4 miles a day to maybe a mile or two. He's incontinent during sleep and must wear a small diaper around his waist. He sometimes goes into a senile stare while we're out walking around the neighborhood.

Still, he's not in pain.. he takes his daily meds, sleeps a ton, and eats really well. Life is comfortable, it seems. Incredibly, his lab values all came back normal during last month's vet visit, and when the vet asked us what we feed him, we told her.. "Whatever he wants." If we're having steak, he gets steak. If we're making pork chops, one of them is his. At this age, he can have whatever he wants.

I don't sleep in my bed upstairs any more. His bed is in the living room, and I sleep on the couch next to him. My partner and I have our work schedules set such that he's seldom alone for more than 2 hours.

Dad tells me that everyone has that one dog in their lifetime that will always stick with you in your mind. His was Duke, a beagle he had until 1984. Grandma's was Snoopy, a mutt that served as her shadow back in the 1960s; decades after he was gone, she would call-out his name in her sleep from time to time. Jake is my "Snoopy," no doubt. I'm cherishing every day that I have with him.

I'm off to lay on the floor with him until bedtime. Goodnight, Dog Age.[/QUOTE]
That is a beautiful and lucky dog.

Karak

Mine
Zen
A Great Dane Pittbull mix
He has grown into his head since this pic:)
x9uxR.jpg

Ming
Black Lab/Collie mix
3WZuE.jpg

This is a pic of all three.

Loki is in the middle. A Pitt/Boston Terrier/Chihuaha
Jgo7n.jpg

Great dogs, all rescues and all very healthy except Zen jumped off a tall bed and tore his tendons in his back legs. Healed up now but a bit stiff at times.

Love these guys. Brothers to the bone. Ming herds them all day and runs the house, Zen is the calm one and always headbutting you for attention, while Loki is the peacemaker who licks everyones faces when they are done fighting over a bone...the perfect peacekeeper.

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
Perfect time for finding this thread! I need the help of dog-gaf.

I have a German Shepherd puppy that is 10 weeks old and this little shit is biting me like fucking crazy! My hands and wrists are completely mauled. I've tried everything from picking him up from the scruff of his neck and then telling him no to spraying bitter yuck in his mouth when he bites but nothing seems to work. I even tried yelping really loud when he bites but that seems to only excite him and makes him bite more and harder than before.

Help!

Guts Of Thor said:
Perfect time for finding this thread! I need the help of dog-gaf.

I have a German Shepherd puppy that is 10 weeks old and this little shit is biting me like fucking crazy! My hands and wrists are completely mauled. I've tried everything from picking him up from the scruff of his neck and then telling him no to spraying bitter yuck in his mouth when he bites but nothing seems to work. I even tried yelping really loud when he bites but that seems to only excite him and makes him bite more and harder than before.

Help!
Puppy teeth! I'm sure they could maul through adamantium! I'd suggest yelping really hard and then turn away from the puppy, if that doesn't help, then show him who's the boss. Whenever he bites you growl slightly and turn him on his back. Stare him in the eyes if necessary. Just don't go overboard.

That Jake post made me find my dog and hug him ;_;

Also, always redirect him with a chew toy after discouraging. When he bites the toy tell him "good boy". It's OK to bite, just not your hands.

I will never forget the day we put down Schubert, our beagle after 16 years. :(
My new puppy makes me think of him a lot and it feels good.

Great advice on biting. The idea behind it is that you're acting like a litter mate of his. If he bites his litter mate too hard, they will yelp and walk away. They learn how to play nicely without hurting each other this way. Misdirection also helps. Toys, toys and more toys. Always praise when they bite something they're supposed to.

Gowans

Well last night the pup slept in is cage all night, problem was I has to sleep on the sofa. :(

If we bring the cage up he constantly barks and if I leave the room he constantly barks :(

Gowans007 said:
Well last night the pup slept in is cage all night, problem was I has to sleep on the sofa. :(

If we bring the cage up he constantly barks and if I leave the room he constantly barks :(
If it's any consolation I spent the first 10 days sleeping on a matress in the living room floor.

Gowans

Metroid Killer said:
If it's any consolation I spent the first 10 days sleeping on a matress in the living room floor.
Owch!

same again tonight, gona try to sneak out n just leave him.

Tomorrow he's gona need to be on his own most of the day, Mrs is at work and me too, but I'll be working from home.

The Int3rsect said:
So how do most of you guys handle the shedding? Just curious because my Golden is shedding like no other. :\

People swear by the Furminator, but I've never tried it. Google brings up pictures of mountains of fur.

3kvzA.jpg

Top Bottom