• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People walking their dogs in stores

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
A while back there were topics on comfort animals walking around stores and things, like the turkey that took a flight with it's owner. The comfort animal thing is one issue, but I'm seeing a new trend that seems to be happening more and more: people just walking their dogs, everywhere.

Instead of strolling into a Petsmart, where it's encouraged, people seem to be more bold about walking their dogs into any establishment that doesn't have the "no dogs" sign in the window. I guess at this point every place would need one. As a retail worker, I've been seeing this happen A LOT more lately, and I'm not just talking about small little chihuahuas and pomeranians, I'm talking about full-sized, large dogs. Although I have seen small breeds, I have already seen: a beagle, a corgi, a large mutt, a 'pitt bull' (whichever breed, I'm not too good with all variety), a golden retriever, and a German shepherd. Just regular dogs being walked, no vests or anything.

Some stores are becoming so "consumer-friendly" that they turn a blind eye to this, but I just think that it's weird that so many more people are just taking their dogs out of their car (in shopping centers, where it's not even near a park or anything to walk dogs) and just taking them shopping with them. I have very rarely seen a real service dog, but I feel like allowing this isn't good when it comes to a legit service dog, and is only a matter of time before someone gets bit, or some other incident occurs. I guess we would almost need that to happen before stores start kicking out dogs, because it takes an incident and lawsuit for action to actually happen :/ I have no issues with people packing small dogs in their arms/in carriers, but the large dog issue seems worrying.

Is this a trend in any of your areas? Either as a worker or a customer? This is in the Bay Area, and I have seen it happen in SF, because there is not a lot of places to walk your dog (check out the news story of the lamp post that fell over due to excessive dog urine), but not in the more suburban areas, until recently.

If the dogs arent shitting/pissing/misbehaving, and if the dogs aren't near food preparation areas, I see no problem with this at all.

UFO

Banned
I love dogs so this doesn't bother me in the slightest. I usually see them most often at places like Lowes and Home Depot. Not mall department-store type places.

norm9

I dislike it. There's issues of allergies. Theres sanitary issues. And then there's issues of people just being straight up liars of having a "support" animal.

Eta- I stepped in dog pee at a store once. At least I think it was dog pee.

I love dogs so this doesn't bother me in the slightest. I usually see them most often at places like Lowes and Home Depot. Not mall department-store type places.

I have a lingering fear of dogs, so it'd probably make me a little apprehensive. I could (and would) deal with it as long as the owners were responsible, but I'd prefer the only animals in stores be service animals (pet stores and the like being an exception, of course).

I love dogs but don't think they belong in grocery stores and stuff. Unfair to people who are dog phobic or allergic, and its shitty towards the workers in case your dog pees or poops somewhere. You cleaning it up doesn't mean they don't also have to clean up as well.

It is cool seeing them though.

If the dogs arent shitting/pissing/misbehaving, and if the dogs aren't near food preparation areas, I see no problem with this at all.
Lots of people do not like dogs or are allergic. It's selfish to bring your pet into a public space unless given explicit permission in my eyes.

Obviously service dogs for the disabled are an exception.

JimboJones

I never intentionally walked my dog in a store other than a pet store but sometimes my dog would wander into the shop when she seen me waiting in the line to pay for stuff. Most of the time people didn't mind because they knew I was basically leaving within the next two minutes, one security guard even always gave her food from the deli when he seen her.

You did get some right cunts moaning about it the odd time though.

totally against you on this position OP.

find it ridiculous that dogs are restricted from travelling most places with their owners.

most humans are fucking gross too...

so long as they're not pissing, shitting, barking, or misbehaving in any way, i see no reason dogs shouldn't be allowed to accompany their owners anywhere food isn't prepared [and even then, i'd love to see more dog friendly pubs - miss all of those from my time in the UK].

Pancho

Qurupancho
I think any food or grocery type place would get in trouble with the health department because of it. Its very selfish of the owners. Also, if the dog poops or pees I really doubt the owner will clean it up and would expect an employee to do so.

I bring my dog to a lot of places that are commonly considered unusual places for one to bring their dog. However I always call first to ask if its okay for me to do so. If not I don't push for an exception. I also never bring him in any place that sells food, so no super market, Target, or Walmart.

I'm clearly very biased, but I feel people are a little too uptight about letting dogs go around in public places. There's plenty of dogs out there that are perfectly fine in just about an indoor setting, but aren't service dogs. There really should some sort of advanced exam and course beyond the incredibly basic Canine Good Citizen exam. If a dog passes that test they should be permitted in different areas more freely.

Lots of people do not like dogs or are allergic. It's selfish to bring your pet into a public space unless given explicit permission in my eyes.

There are lots of people who where perfumes and colognes that cause others in their vicinity to have an allergic reaction.

Some people don't like small children.

These aren't good reasons.

I get happy whenever I see a dog so I'm all for it. Sanitation issues are kinda moot when humans are dirty as shit anyway and most stores have maintenance crews. The only real issue is allergies which sucks for those people I guess but isn't an issue for me personally. I doubt someone is that allergic to dogs where being in the same store as one is going to cause them to have a severe reaction.

That being said I don't bring my own dog when I go shopping because it's not worth the hassle.

mcfizzle4

As an American living in Germany and being exposed to this every single day multiple times per day I see no problem at all with dogs in stores. I don't do it with mine but they have gone into restaurants and just sit under the table. It's a part of everyday life here.

I think any food or grocery type place would get in trouble with the health department because of it. Its very selfish of the owners. Also, if the dog poops or pees I really doubt the owner will clean it up and would expect an employee to do so.
In what universe would a dog owner have their dog shit in a store and then make an employee clean it up?

If someone tried to do that they'd probably be laughed at and given a paper towel and some spray.

I've seen it on occasion. I don't think people should be bring their pets into places of business unless its a support animal. Animals are unpredictable even if you think your pet is a special snowflake.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
And then there's issues of people just being straight up liars of having a "support" animal.

This already happened once. The "pitt bull" I mentioned had some co-workers worried, cause of the breed and all. Turns out my manager allowed it because they called ahead and said it was a "service dog". The dog did not wear a vest or anything when it was in the store. I personally wasn't worried, but you could tell that others were nervous with it around.

There was also another story where someone was waiting in line and the leashed was loosened, so the dog was wandering around a bit more. Apparently it went over to some kid who did NOT feel comfortable with having that dog so close. This wasn't something I actually saw, but it sounds like it was a bigger dog, and the child had a fear of dogs.

In what universe would a dog owner have their dog shit in a store and then make an employee clean it up?

Humans already do that in stores...

norm9

If someone tried to do that they'd probably he laughed at and given a paper towel and some spray.

The same type of pet owner that would bring a pet in a store.

Depends a bit on the store and what kind of place it is. For example: my parents business has their dog walking around all the time, so it would be stupid to ban other dogs.

But most places are not that fit for dogs. With food for example, or clothing with getting dog hair on it.

Lots of people do not like dogs

Yeah, having a subjective opinion isn't really a valid reason to expect people to not use public spaces. I don't like children and it's more than mildly irritating to be subjected to their poor behavior and screaming/crying (particularly in restaurants), but I'm not about to expect parents to keep their kids in the car/at home. Absolutely ludicrous to expect people to keep their pets at home merely on the basis that some people "do not like dogs".

or are allergic.

Slightly more valid, but I'd like to see a source that has information about how allergic people can be to dogs. I'm open to facts that prove otherwise, but with what I currently know it seems unlikely that there are people carrying around epipens for those times they're forced to walk past a dog in a warehouse sized store.

Anecdotally, I'm incredibly allergic to dogs and I have one. Medication and proper grooming is a small price to pay for my best friend.

joe2187

Banned
I ask the store employees if taking my dog with me is okay.

If they say yes, he goes in with me.

I regularly take him with me going to home depot, gamestop, some restaurants letting me sit on the patios with him and one mall that lets me walk him inside.

I usually take my dog with me whenever I can, going to the beach, going to pickup some food.

I explain that he is a "Therapy" Dog and not a "service" animal, since there is a difference and I'm not trying to take advantage, but he's trained to be friendly and calm. They usually accept that answer and let me in.

Then I have to spend more time in the stores than usual because eveybody wants to take a selfie with my dog, or pet him or cuddle him.

The same type of pet owner that would bring a pet in a store.

My dog is my best friend. I have a pretty long post in the besr Christmas gift thread detailing that. I like to think I'd go way beyond and above to clean up any mess my dog would make. Not that he ever would, because he's trained not too. He hasn't had and accident in probably 18 months and he's three. People who want to bring their dogs everywhere aren't bad owners just heavily invested.

I ask the store employees if taking my dog with me is okay.

If they say yes, he goes in with me.

I regularly take him with me going to home depot, gamestop, some restaurants letting me sit on the patios with him and one mall that lets me walk him inside.

I usually take my dog with me whenever I can, going to the beach, going to pickup some food.

I explain that he is a "Therapy" Dog and not a "service" animal, since there is a difference and I'm not trying to take advantage, but he's trained to be friendly and calm. They usually accept that answer and let me in.

Then I have to spend more time in the stores than usual because eveybody wants to take a selfie with my dog, or pet him or cuddle him.

What is a therapy dog?

I dislike it. There's issues of allergies. Theres sanitary issues. And then there's issues of people just being straight up liars of having a "support" animal.

Eta- I stepped in dog pee at a store once. At least I think it was dog pee.

I once went to a local grocery store that had two old people smelling of piss and one homeless dude smelling of alcohol in front of me at the checkout.
These things happen more often on the human side...

We let dogs come in where I work, which is great because I love dogs. There are a few well behaved regulars that come in and get let off leash when they're instead so they can come visit while their owners shop. Also have treats for dogs up front.

They don't even come close to being as gross as some of the people I have to deal with, and we've had a human per in the store and I can never recall a dog doing it.

joe2187

Banned
What is a therapy dog?

Dogs who are trained basically to give people comfort. They are friendly, calm in stressful situations, never show aggressiveness and can be around large crowds without panicking or barking.

I volunteer him for multiple hospital programs for kids with disabilities or who have suffered traumatic injuries.

His job is to show up and be a big fluffy dog for them to play with.

How do you feel if you see this guy walking up to you?

WZRJAWD.jpg

how about the owners that smile and say "my dog never acts like this!" after the little shit lunges at you without a muzzle guard? it happens several times a year.

highrider

Banned
When I lived in Germany it seemed dogs were welcomed almost everywhere. But then, they all behaved. Americans just aren't capable of pulling that off. I love you my people, but half of you can't care for pets properly.

this argument doesn't stand up to even the slightest amount of scrutiny...

people are either allergic to, or simply don't like, countless substances, creatures, or things in general that aren't banned from 99% of public places.

I once went to a local grocery store that had two old people smelling of piss and one homeless dude smelling of alcohol in front of me at the checkout.
These things happen more often on the human side...

as i've said before, and will say again, humans are fucking gross.

[mind you, i also think most peoples' dogs are also gross, i just don't see the distinction is all]

StoneFox

I kinda want to start bringing my miniature poodle to some stores because her favorite thing in the world is meeting new people and she never barks or pisses on anywhere that isn't her backyard. She's very well behaved but I also don't want to risk being kicked out just because I brought her. :/

I've worked at a grocery store and I've seen this happen a few times. Some people have comfort/service animals and that's perfectly cool but if your aren't in that category and you bring your dog (it's usually dogs) into a place that explicitly doesn't allow animals into the store, the people that are working there are cursing you under their breath. In my case we were allowed to ask if it was a service animal but we weren't supposed to ask for documentation or any other proof.

Dogs who are trained basically to give people comfort. They are friendly, calm in stressful situations, never show aggressiveness and can be around large crowds without panicking or barking.

I volunteer him for multiple hospital programs for kids with disabilities or who have suffered traumatic injuries.

His job is to show up and be a big fluffy dog for them to play with.

How do you feel if you see this guy walking up to you?

That dog would make a wonderful jacket

I've worked at a grocery store and I've seen this happen a few times. Some people have comfort/service animals and that's perfectly cool but if your aren't in that category and you bring your dog (it's usually dogs) into a place that explicitly doesn't allow animals into the store, the people that are working there are cursing you under their breath. In my case we were allowed to ask if it was a service animal but we weren't supposed to ask for documentation or any other proof.

I've worked at a grocery store and everytime someone walked in with a dog we'd get excited. Y'all need a little soul.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Airplanes.

Absolutely FULL of dog-liars now. Emotional support dogs. yesterday someone brought a giant Labradoodle onto my flight. I couldn't see where it ended up but literally as big as a person, effectively.

I have no problem with true medical assistance dogs, even for emotional support, but it should pay for its seat (if required) and more needs to be done about people abusing the system, because they're eventually going to make it worse for people with real needs.

Doctors need to be at the frontline of telling people NO.

Askani

I work for a big box home improvement store. We have a sign up that's says we're pet friendly and people constantly bring dogs in. When I started at was shocked at the amount of people who do this. I see the whole range of little dogs in carts to massive muscular dogs with choke chains and a head big enough to bite me out n half if it wanted. They even hired a guy recently at another store with a service dog who brings him to work everyday. Not really a dog person but it doesn't bother me that much. I like dogs like I like other peoples kids, say hi and pat them in the head and then I'm pretty much done.

We are right next to a PetSmart and it even goes so far as they will bring training class dogs over to walk around and tech obidence skills in public and around noise and strangers.

It's weird but I've taken my cat with me for a late night to a drive thru fast food cheeseburger before so who am I to say anything?

EDIT :::::

"Soon I will has cheesezburger..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom