• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK to ban XL Bully Dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
About fucking time

How these animals are allowed to be let out in public is beyond me, i've seen a few out and about and at all times the owners are nothing more than wee scrote bags or drug dealers, glad to see the Government finally doing something about a breed thats just plain dangerous to the general public, any dog that can kill an adult human being in a matter of moments needs banned, the fuck with your "but our wee fluffy wouldnt hurt a fly" too many kids have been visciously mauled by these things which i beleive are an import from the US... cheers America, ffs i dont know whats worse, XL Bully dogs or American Chocolate.

diffusionx

Gold Member
When I had my two little cockapoos, I steered clear of any shitbulls I saw on my walks. I even got some comments over the years from people who saw me clearly avoiding their beastly dogs but that's a price I'm willing to pay. They're dangerous and impulsive. This campaign to pretend they're not is so bizarre to me. They should be banned.

The "no breed is inherently dangerous" argument being trotted out by the kennel club...

Whether the dog is a danger genetically or just conditioned by bad owners wanting an attack dog it doesn't matter, the result is the same to any child (or adult in recent death).

If you want a cuddly fluffy dog that "wouldn't hurt a fly" you would get a labrador or a chihuahua. As a dog owner I think licensing should be brought back, each dog have its breed categorised on chipping and when / if a breed of dog is banned a destruction order be issued.

70% of all deaths (from attack) to dogs - one attack a day and 50% attacks on humans are down to this single breed.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
The bit that annoys me is apparently the RSPCA is all for not banning them!? WTF last Ill be donating to you shower of bastards.

They're clearly unhinged animals bred for a single purpose, fills my heart with joy knowing the wee scumbags who probably paid top dolla for them are going to have them removed and put down, I'm no fan of putting animals down but between a single childs life or an entire breed put down, it's a no fucking brainer.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I have a friend with a couple stafford terriers/pit bulls and they are quite sweet. He is johnny on the spot with training though.

I have a little obnoxious shit morkie mutt and that thing is a TERROR, the only reason the neighborhood is safe is because he clocks in at 9 pounds soaking wet. While I don't necessarily ascribe to "all Pitbulls are bad" as that can certainly be translated to humans without much effort, those breeds are equipped with massive jaws so any misbehaviour can be lethal. Can't tolerate crap from one of them you might from a toy breed that couldn't break skin if its life depended on it.

_107000795_meme4.jpg

About fucking time

How these animals are allowed to be let out in public is beyond me, i've seen a few out and about and at all times the owners are nothing more than wee scrote bags or drug dealers, glad to see the Government finally doing something about a breed thats just plain dangerous to the general public, any dog that can kill an adult human being in a matter of moments needs banned, the fuck with your "but our wee fluffy wouldnt hurt a fly" too many kids have been visciously mauled by these things which i beleive are an import from the US... cheers America, ffs i dont know whats worse, XL Bully dogs or American Chocolate.
I have a Cane Corso. She’s one of the sweetest dogs you’ll ever meet. It’s all about how they’re raised. Meanwhile a German shepherd can go ham on a mother fucker. You’re opinion sucks.

I’m aware pit bulls are already outlawed in the United Kingdom, but does that stop drug dealers and morons from having them? Naturally most of these idiots let their dogs roam around without restraining them and it startles most people on the streets.

They don’t have the common sense to understand that most people are cautious of German Shepards, Rottweilers and Pitt bulls. Labradors, Chow-Chows and other common dogs are absolutely fine and without infamy, but they’ll cry bloody murder at the discrimination.

And when a mauling does occur they all stand back with anime eyes and say “oh it couldn’t have been my dog, he loves absolutely everybody and was provoked!” Muzzle them you stupid bastards and they can’t attack and everybody will have peace of mind.

Tams

It's absolutely insane that the RSPCA have been defending ownership of them.

To any none Brits, the RSPCA have officers that are quasi-police officers. They have the power to fine, initiate prosecutions, seize animals, and enter property.

GymWolf

Usually not the dog faults if they get bought by irresponsible cunts who can't teach how to behave.

Every dog can be aggressive, my first dog my family had was a mix between labrador and beagle, 2 of the most kind race of dogs, but she was a motherfucker that gave us multiple scars because we didn't knew how to educate her.

Tams

Usually not the dog faults if they get bought by irresponsible cunts who can't teach how to behave.

Every dog can be aggressive, my first dog my family had was a mix between labrador and beagle, 2 of the most kind race of dogs, but she was a motherfucker that gave us multiple scars because we didn't knew how to educate her.

The issue is that these dogs are lethal if not brought up properly, and even if they are, if they have even the slightest snap can cause immense damage. No one human can control them if you go out of hand (it can take 5+ people to detach one).

So, for breeds like Bully XLs (which are massive if you haven't seen one), there really isn't any other option but to ban them and, frankly, eventually exterminate their breed.

There are plenty of other dogs you can get that are far more docile and/or weak enough to not cause serious harm.

GymWolf

The issue is that these dogs are lethal if not brought up properly, and even if they are, if they have even the slightest snap can cause immense damage. No one human can control them if you go out of hand (it can take 5+ people to detach one).

So, for breeds like Bully XLs (which are massive if you haven't seen one), there really isn't any other option but to ban them and, frankly, eventually exterminate their breed.

There are plenty of other dogs you can get that are far more docile and/or weak enough to not cause serious harm.
How the fuck did we got from ban to exterminating an entire breed?

Do you also wanna kill elephants, zebras, lion, japanese hornets and all the species that kill a lot of people every year?

Last edited:

Tams

Do you also wanna kill elephants, zebras, lion, japanese hornets and all the species that kill a lot of people every year?

There is no need for Bully XLs, which are entirely created by humans.

All those animals you mentioned are far less dangerous and have merit for naturally evolving and being important parts of ecosystems. No environment needs a Bully XL.

good and for those cunts who will still get them or any other dangerous dog then they need to be harsher on them. if your dog seriously harms someone then off to prison. i don't know the current laws but make them tougher. if it's 2 years now then make it 20.

fucking sick of dogs maiming/killing people or being terrified of being attacked. anybody who has these dogs are fucking scumbags and deserve to be shipped off to prison. stamp it fuckin out.

Garibaldi

My rottweiler is most placid dog in the world. Christ he's scared of the neighbour's cat. But I understand he's a big heavy dog and I always ensure he's under control and well trained, because if he wanted to he'd be lethal in a split second. Not sure I agree with banning the breeds over some bad apples (I especially disagree with destroying animals) but something has to be done about lazy fucks being able to backyard breed and train these animals.

I'd be ok with licensing and monitoring on certain breeds. Too.much work for our government/council's though so...

i've had german sherpherds which can be vicious dogs but they can be trained and handled by responsible people. while i do get that some dogs have a more violent nature it's not all on the dog. the owner is ultimately responsible.

GymWolf

There is no need for Bully XLs, which are entirely created by humans.

All those animals you mentioned are far less dangerous and have merit for naturally evolving and being important parts of ecosystems. No environment needs a Bully XL.
Far less dangerous my ass, just the hornets kill 30 to 50 people every year, go look the numbers of xl bully casualties, not even close.

And with proper education, the risk of a bull going crazy is very low, good luck on stopping people going into the woods or whatever those hornets lives...

Let's just agree to disagree on the whole killing an entire species debacle.

Human created cigarettes and alcohol, they have no merits and kill more than any animal, let's ban that before talking about killing dogs, shall we?

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Far less dangerous my ass, just the hornets kill 30 to 50 people every year, go look the numbers of xl bully casualties, not even close.

And with proper education, the risk of a bull going crazy is very low, good luck on stopping people going into the woods or whatever those hornets lives...

Human created cigarettes and alcohol, they have no merits and kill more than any animal, let's ban that before talking about killing dogs, shall we?

When a person dies from anthalytic shock from a sting its very unfortunate and tragic and little can be done to avoid it as our ecosystem needs wasps (as much as I hate them!).

But something can be done to stop babies, children, adults and the elderly from being mauled by an out of control XL Bully (which are responsbile for over 50% of fatal dog encounters) and should be done when they're a breed that didn't exist in our communities before.

Am with you that we should be also clamping down on cigarettes and tackling excess drinking much more stringently too.

Last edited:

GymWolf

When a person dies from anthalytic shock from a sting its very unfortunate and tragic and little can be done to avoid it as our ecosystem needs wasps (as much as I hate them!).

But something can be done to stop babies, children, adults and the elderly from being mauled by an out of control XL Bully (which are responsbile for over 50% of fatal dog encounters) and should be done when they're a breed that didn't exist in our communities before.

Am with you that we should be also clamping down on cigarettes and tackling excess drinking much more stringently too.
I'm ok with stopping the breeding but downright killing all the xl bullies alive? I'm gonna pass on that.

My point still stand, there are so many human made things that are far more dangerous for humans but we do jack shit about it.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

We're not talking about killing all dogs. Just banning one breed.

This is also a recent breed of dog that was only developed in the 1980s. It's not as if this breed has been around forever.

I'm all for banning this breed. Far too dangerous for the general public and has already been responsible for over 50% of fatal dog attacks in the UK.

You also can't compare this to cigarettes or alcohol. Those are consumed by choice. Totally different to somebody not raising a dog correctly that then kills a person.

GymWolf

We're not talking about killing all dogs. Just banning one breed.

This is also a recent breed of dog that was only developed in the 1980s. It's not as if this breed has been around forever.

I'm all for banning this breed. Far too dangerous for the general public and has already been responsible for over 50% of fatal dog attacks in the UK.

You also can't compare this to cigarettes or alcohol. Those are consumed by choice. Totally different to somebody not raising a dog correctly that then kills a person.

People can also chose to educate their dogs and reduce the risk to a very low minimal (accidents happen with everything, we can't reduce risk to 0 for anything in life) or the state could be stricter with the regulation of these dogs, they should force the owners to pay for their education in specialized places if they want that specific race, exactly how you need a special license to drive trucks or powerfull boats or to fly an helicopter.
In that way only people that actually care would buy these dogs.

But i guess it is hard to regulate dog breeding in a whole country...

It is just sad that these dogs must be erased because most owners are morons.

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

Fucking things.

Everyone should just own these, by law.

CS1t3Wy.jpg
SntAG7q.jpg

Great dogs, cute, lovable and wont rip and tear till it is done. I want both.
Beagles are lovely but bloody hard work! Think they are one of those breeds that work better when they are not the sole dog in the house. Our Bentley was a right pain in the arse when he wanted attention. :)

Your question is ridiculous.

If there were idiots walking around in my town with lions on the end of a rope then everyone would want the authorities to do something about it. The fact is that no one can get hold of lions so it's not an issue.

These dogs are far too dangerous and have killed children in the UK. No one needs to own one, it is purely to make up for the owners insecurity or as attack dogs for criminals. Neither of which is worth putting children's lives at risk.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
People can also chose to educate their dogs and reduce the risk to a very low minimal (accidents happen with everything, we can reduce risk to 0 for anything in life) or the state could be stricter with the regulation of these dogs, they should force the owners to pay for their education in specialized places if they want that specific race, exactly how you need a special license to drive trucks or powerfull boats or to fly an helicopter.
In that way only people that actually care would buy these dogs.

But i guess it is hard to regulate dog breeding in a whole country...

It is just sad that these dogs must be erased because most owners are morons.

I agree it's sad. It's not the dogs fault. It was bred to be aggressive, which unfortunately makes it very unsuitable as a pet and a danger to the public.

GymWolf

Your question is ridiculous.

If there were idiots walking around in my town with lions on the end of a rope then everyone would want the authorities to do something about it. The fact is that no one can get hold of lions so it's not an issue.

These dogs are far too dangerous and have killed children in the UK. No one needs to own one, it is purely to make up for the owners insecurity or as attack dogs for criminals. Neither of which is worth putting children's lives at risk.
Less ridicolous than comparing dogs that can be educated to reduce risks to lions but ok.

You can have stricter laws for the owners so they think twice or thrice before buying these dogs , but i guess that global extermination of a race is easier to do.

I know it's not an easy problem to solve, i just hate when a race is about to get erased from existence because people are bad owners.
(And yes it can happen with good owners aswell, like with every other race of untrained dogs)

Last edited:

Dural

Beagles are lovely but bloody hard work! Think they are one of those breeds that work better when they are not the sole dog in the house. Our Bentley was a right pain in the arse when he wanted attention. :)

Yeah, beagles are one of the most difficult dog breeds; all they want to do is sniff things out. They get a scent and they're gone and the barking can be obnoxious.

We recently got what was supposed to be an Olde English Bulldogge. My wife was worried he had pitbull in him because of just how many there are so we did the DNA. Turns out he's 50/50 english bulldog and american bulldog. He's super sweet and a big baby.

A85BYSJ.jpg

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
It's absolutely insane that the RSPCA have been defending ownership of them.

To any none Brits, the RSPCA have officers that are quasi-police officers. They have the power to fine, initiate prosecutions, seize animals, and enter property.

The RSPCA and many of the more well known charities, like Battersea Dogs, Blue Cross, etc. Are saying that despite introduction of legislation and bans of dog breeds, that bites requiring hospitalisation aren't actually decreasing and that over the last 20 years they are actually up 154%. They also say that thousands of dogs that haven't been guilty of any aggressive actions have been put down.

On the face of it, it makes a lot of sense to ban dogs that can be uncontrollable, and before reading the RSPCA's stance I would 100% support the ban, but with so many charities saying that breed specific legislation doesn't actually have the desired effect, I am surprised to see myself leaning more towards the idea that this is may well be a fucking idiot problem and not necessarily a dog one. As usual, it's a bit more nuanced. I would expect that the idiots who aren't able to properly care for an animal like this will simply move to owning another big dog that looks threatening, that they'll either train poorly, mistreat or will encourage bad behaviour and then the cycle will continue.

I rather suspect that the Tories are happy to be seen to do anything that they can hold up as proof of them doing something for the public to distract from the multitude of bad news stories that surround them, from licensing more fossil fuels, not investigating the theft of public money, relaxing environmental protections, granting contracts to connected companies and permitting pollution of rivers and coastline, etc. Etc. I'm not sure how long this debate has been raging, but under other circumstances I can't imagine them moving so quickly on what has been a relatively quick to develop story.

That's not to say, that I don't think this isn't a problem that needs looking at of course, but I'm not sure what happens next. I assume it's not that people attracted to aggressive looking animals suddenly decide to adopt a cockapoo.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
The reality is nobody cares about the dogs it’s the culture set by humans who pride dogs on having a temper and bite in 2023 they’re banning the dog and not punishing the dumbass owners, this morning I passed a male bulldog who is stable, friendly so this feels like a dumb ass decision but hey it will make people comfortable.

Dural

Unfortunately these types of dogs attract the biggest type of arsehole owners who think they look "well 'ard innit" when walking down the road with one. So the dog doesn't receive proper care because they're just a prop.

Yep, around here all you find in the shelters are pitbulls or mutts that are half pitbull. Drive in certain areas when it's nice out and you're guaranteed to see some douchebag walking one around like it's an accessory, it's as bad as women with their Yorkies or Pomeranians.

Tams

The RSPCA and many of the more well known charities, like Battersea Dogs, Blue Cross, etc. Are saying that despite introduction of legislation and bans of dog breeds, that bites requiring hospitalisation aren't actually decreasing and that over the last 20 years they are actually up 154%. They also say that thousands of dogs that haven't been guilty of any aggressive actions have been put down.

On the face of it, it makes a lot of sense to ban dogs that can be uncontrollable, and before reading the RSPCA's stance I would 100% support the ban, but with so many charities saying that breed specific legislation doesn't actually have the desired effect, I am surprised to see myself leaning more towards the idea that this is may well be a fucking idiot problem and not necessarily a dog one. As usual, it's a bit more nuanced. I would expect that the idiots who aren't able to properly care for an animal like this will simply move to owning another big dog that looks threatening, that they'll either train poorly, mistreat or will encourage bad behaviour and then the cycle will continue.

I rather suspect that the Tories are happy to be seen to do anything that they can hold up as proof of them doing something for the public to distract from the multitude of bad news stories that surround them, from licensing more fossil fuels, not investigating the theft of public money, relaxing environmental protections, granting contracts to connected companies and permitting pollution of rivers and coastline, etc. Etc. I'm not sure how long this debate has been raging, but under other circumstances I can't imagine them moving so quickly on what has been a relatively quick to develop story.

That's not to say, that I don't think this isn't a problem that needs looking at of course, but I'm not sure what happens next. I assume it's not that people attracted to aggressive looking animals suddenly decide to adopt a cockapoo.

While the cause is mostly idiots, that's never going to be solved and to reduce it will take years of education that is unlikely to happen (a political issue we shan't go into here).

The truth is, that there is no complete ban on certain breeds in the UK. You can still own them if certain precautions are taken. Those precautions seem to lead to more attacks in private (where regulation is hard to enforce), but I think that is better than random members of the public being attacked.

The issue I have is that these organisations are criticising a ban but providing no solutions. 'Owners need to be better educated' is utterly ignorant and naïve. You're not going to see members of these organisations confronting bad owners and down on council estates, or trying to get a drug dealer to restrain their (his, letcs be honest) dog.

And there is no need for the likes of the Bully XL to exist. Zero. Banning breeding and ownership of them is hardly asking for a species to be removed.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
While the cause is mostly idiots, that's never going to be solved and to reduce it will take years of education that is unlikely to happen (a political issue we shan't go into here).

The truth is, that there is no complete ban on certain breeds in the UK. You can still own them if certain precautions are taken. Those precautions seem to lead to more attacks in private (where regulation is hard to enforce), but I think that is better than random members of the public being attacked.

The issue I have is that these organisations are criticising a ban but providing no solutions. 'Owners need to be better educated' is utterly ignorant and naïve. You're not going to see members of these organisations confronting bad owners and down on council estates, or trying to get a drug dealer to restrain their (his, letcs be honest) dog.

And there is no need for the likes of the Bully XL to exist. Zero. Banning breeding and ownership of them is hardly asking for a species to be removed.

Like I said, on the face of it, bans seem to be a good idea, but all the charities who spend all day every day dealing with dogs say that bans don't help, and as I also said, I think this is largely a PR move.

I'm inclined to go with the charities' judgement given that they are the experts.

Tams

Japanese hornets probably should be exterminated, environmental impact aside. Nasty, evil things.

But notice how that it's only the worse and most likely to come into contact with humans example that you elaborated on...

I'm not saying they should all suddenly be put down, but certainly breeding of them should be banned and carry a heavy fine.

Bully XLs should be removed as a breed. End of.

Last edited:

Tams

Like I said, on the face of it, bans seem to be a good idea, but all the charities who spend all day every day dealing with dogs say that bans don't help, and as I also said, I think this is largely a PR move.

I'm inclined to go with the charities' judgement given that they are the experts.

And like with many charities, when faced with major problems they are all talk and, pun intended, no bite.

They sit on their high horses, yet do fuck all to help. How about their CEOs go have a talk with the family of Ian Price?

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
And like with many charities, when faced with major problems they are all talk and, pun intended, no bite.

They sit on their high horses, yet do fuck all to help. How about their CEOs go have a talk with the family of Ian Price?

The stats say that banning dogs has not reduced the number of people being hospitalised after a dog bite.

So in that sense, you could argue that this simple action by the government is perfect if all you want to do is placate people. It doesn't make them any safer in the long run, unfortunately however.

In that sense, the charities are absolutely doing the right thing by trying to make sure that a serious action is taken to protect people and animals.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
And like with many charities, when faced with major problems they are all talk and, pun intended, no bite

"We believe that a three-pronged approach is needed to better protect public safety:

Effective legislation and enforcement to tackle dog-related issues regardless of breed or type and based on their behaviour
Interventions including education that focus on safe behaviour around dogs
A better understanding of why dogs bite"

"Between 1989 and 2017, 48 people died in dog-related incidents. Of the 62 dogs involved, 53 were dog breeds not on the prohibited list."

"There’s no robust research to demonstrate that dogs bred for fighting are naturally aggressive towards people or that they are unique in the way they can bite."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom