• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK to ban XL Bully Dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

clarky

Gold Member
No, it would see the breed (once it has been properly legally defined) added to the Dangerous Dogs Act.

You can look that up yourself, but regarding euthanasia, it would only be those dogs with a history of violence or are involved in an attack who would be put down.

Well, other than those at shelters that aren't found a home and the shelter can't accommodate, but that's another issue.
They did that with the American pitbull. Yet here we are now with the Bully XL.

Regarding euthanasia , from what i have read you have to prove what your dog isnt rather than what it is. As far as i understand the law.

All i know from my experience is that a dog will unconditionally love a human until it has reason not to.

Edit: Thinking about it ive never met a human that had better morals than any of my dogs

Last edited:

Tams

They did that with the American pitbull. Yet here we are now with the Bully XL.

Regarding euthanasia , from what i have read you have to prove what your dog isnt rather than what it is. As far as i understand the law.

All i know from my experience is that a dog will unconditionally love a human until it has reason not to.

Edit: Thinking about it ive never met a human that had better morals than any of my dogs

That's just a failure of enforcement. The Bully XL should be covered by the Dangerous Dogs Act, as it was legislated to have flexibility to plug loopholes.

Hence why it'll be easy for this ban to go into effect.

All pitbulls in the UK other than the Bully XL are heavily regulated and if not microchipped, muzzled in public, and with their party insurance, will be seized and destroyed.

This is just plugging the loophole that somehow happened.

Accept it. In the UK, public sentiment to potentially dangerous dogs is very strongly against them. Go say what you are saying here on a high street and you'll probably be shouted down.

Cyberpunkd

Pro tip: If you have no idea what you are talking about don't post.
No, I do. There is no place for pitbulls, the same way there is no place for bulldogs. You have 100 other races to choose from, accept it and move on.

Pitbulls are genetically prone to agression, the same way mops will allow you to take their eye out before they even give squirm. What part of it don't you get?

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Thats actually good to know as I was only going to get the one, I've got the missus hooked too and she wants one as well. Looks like i'll have to get two then, which I have no problem with and i'm sure she wouldnt 👀

How long did you have Bentley for? (Sorry if you've still got him I thought you meant you had him in a past tense)
Always wanted a Beagle myslef. But they are a working dog who need a lot of stimulation.

My advice to anyone thinking of getting a dog is how much are you at home? no matter the amount its not enough. Me and Mrs Clark are unfortunate enough not to be able able to have kids but fuck me they are hard graft. Dogs are a big ask but they will be your best friend. Or your nemesis. Or both.

clarky

Gold Member
No, I do. There is no place for pitbulls, the same way there is no place for bulldogs. You have 100 other races to choose from, accept it and move on.

Pitbulls are genetically prone to agression, the same way mops will allow you to take their eye out before they even give squirm. What part of it don't you get?
But its not a pitbull?.

Tell me theres no place for bull dogs again. go on. how many have you met?

Thats like saying theres no place for terriers.

clarky

Gold Member
Thats actually good to know as I was only going to get the one, I've got the missus hooked too and she wants one as well. Looks like i'll have to get two then, which I have no problem with and i'm sure she wouldnt 👀

How long did you have Bentley for? (Sorry if you've still got him I thought you meant you had him in a past tense)
Absolutely don't get 2 especially from the same litter. Imagine the Damien Omen 2 ice hockey scene x10.

Cyberpunkd

Tell me theres no place for bull dogs again. go on. how many have you met?
There is no place for bulldogs because unlike you I can read - bulldogs are genetically breed to have reduced nostrils and a flat face. This causes them to struggle for breath their whole life, high temperatures being a nightmare. Imagine being out of breath your whole life - does that seem a comfortable life to you? You have 100 other breeds to choose from, stop making an animal suffer for your pleasure.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
There's an excellent Mark Twain quote that fits the interactions that I had with someone in this thread.

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Have a good evening, all.

Last edited:

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member
UknBfCt.jpg

This is Boris 5 years old. Bulldog bread. You can pry him from my cold dead hands.
You're a dog person and you don't understand this is not the dog breed being discussed here? What are you missing? Bulldogs aren't pitbulls. Pitbull and Pitbull mixes are the dog breed in question, not anything and everything with any amount of bulldog in it's DNA.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
These owners also make the choice to get a powerful breed of dog and decide not to train it. It is their responsibility as an owner to make sure their dog is trained and not a danger to the public. But we don't like that evil word: responsibility. We would rather blame the dog than the fuckwit who ruined it.

We're comparing apples to steak. One is an animal the others are additive substances that can cause the user harm over prolonged use.

I know people need to be responsible if they're buying a dog that has been bred to be aggressive, but unfortunately that just doesn't happen.

clarky

Gold Member
There is no place for bulldogs because unlike you I can read - bulldogs are genetically breed to have reduced nostrils and a flat face. This causes them to struggle for breath their whole life, high temperatures being a nightmare. Imagine being out of breath your whole life - does that seem a comfortable life to you? You have 100 other breeds to choose from, stop making an animal suffer for your pleasure.
Yeah obviously you know nothing about dogs. Is a Staffordshire bull terrier the same as a Yorkshire Terrier? No Fuck off.

SirTerry-T

Yeah, beagles are one of the most difficult dog breeds; all they want to do is sniff things out. They get a scent and they're gone and the barking can be obnoxious.

We recently got what was supposed to be an Olde English Bulldogge. My wife was worried he had pitbull in him because of just how many there are so we did the DNA. Turns out he's 50/50 english bulldog and american bulldog. He's super sweet and a big baby.

A85BYSJ.jpg
Handsome boy! Looks like there maybe some Boxer in there too?

clarky

Gold Member
You're a dog person and you don't understand this is not the dog breed being discussed here? What are you missing? Bulldogs aren't pitbulls. Pitbull and Pitbull mixes are the dog breed in question, not anything and everything with any amount of bulldog in it's DNA.
What is the DNA of an XL Bully?

Stick to videogames mate, all dogs are in breds, bullys and bull dogs as as close as you can get.

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

Again, fluff.

None of that is actually doing anything.

And the image of an RSPCA officer going up to a drug dealer or the like with his Bully XL is hilarious. Because they won't.
The RSPCA are fucking useless, or at least their "bobbies" are. They are fine when they are doing things on their own terms but if you ever need them to come out to help with an animal issue they seem to have every excuse under the sun not to be of any assistance.

SirTerry-T

We had him till he was about 5. Unfortunately he started to show signs of dominance aggression so we had to give him to a lovely lady up in Scotland who already owned an older Beagle (who wasted no time in putting him in his place) :)

They are lovely dogs though, Bentley just ended up being the wrong dog for us.

We've had all sorts here as my wife used to be quite heavily involved with dog rescues in Romania and Greece.

Currently have a Rommy mongrel and a Romanian Mioritic Sheepdog.
The Mioritic is a big boy whose size is enough to make us feel safe, even though he is thick as shit and twice as soft ;)

Fools idol

Banned
My uncle breeds these dogs in Bristol. He's been well connected with good bloodlines and vets for a long time.

They were actually bred very specifically to be a dosile and family friendly version of the older pitbul breeds. I owned one for 8 years until he passed away to cancer and it was the best dog we ever owned. I named him Chop after GTAV for a laugh.

Dude was around 45kg, absolute brick shit house, but I could rest a treat on his nose and he wouldnt touch it for an hour until I said he could. Best dog ever. Watched over my house and baby like a mother bear.

HOWEVER. And of course it is a big however. These dogs are powerful, and if you are not a very accutely aware owner at all times in public with a VERY well trained example especially, they can have you off your feet in a heartbeat. And there lies the problem. I often had other dogs sniffing around him and, given his size, other owners where clearly terrified that it was going to kill their dog but reality is he was very well trained by myself and worked properly, so was just being playful.

It's a damn shame because when trained and well bred, this is as dosile as a golden retriever with 3x the intelligence and obedience. Bans on dogs are pointless, they will still be bred because the breeds they come from are not banned and easily available. In fact I saw a thoroughbread argentino at our park just the other weekend, another banned breed here in the uk.

The problem is when gypsies and pikey chavs get ahold of them, starve and beat them and encourage them to attack other animals in the parks that over time just become full blown monsters. And the power they have, they can tear just about anything to shreds in seconds be it animal or human.

1d.png
2d.png

Sorry but they are big goofs. The pussies that need them to be bodyguards are just sad cunts that give them a bad rep.

d3.png

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
Stupid breed owned by stupid people, it is much a family pet as a tiger would be. They remind me of those grey gorillas in that Congo movie which were bred to be killng machines.
sorry but no, this is nonsense. They are far better trainable than any other breed I've owned and that is a lot.

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member
What is the DNA of an XL Bully?

Stick to videogames mate, all dogs are in breds, bullys and bull dogs as as close as you can get.
Keep "worrying" that someone will come pry your dog from your cold dead hands. Which you know will never happen and you're not at all worried about.

My uncle breeds these dogs in Bristol. He's been well connected with good bloodlines and vets for a long time.

They were actually bred very specifically to be a dosile and family friendly version of the older pitbul breeds. I owned one for 8 years unti it passed away to cancer and it was the best dog we ever owned.

HOWEVER. And of course it is a big however. These dogs are powerful, and if you are not a very accutely aware owner at all times in public with a VERY well trained example especially, they can have you off your feet in a heartbeat. And there lies the problem. I often had other dogs sniffing around him and, given his size, other owners where clearly terrified that it was going to kill their dog but reality is he was very well trained by myself and worked properly, so was just being playful.

It's a damn shame because when trained and well bred, this is as dosile as a golden retriever with 3x the intelligence and obedience. Bans on dogs are pointless, they will still be bred because the breeds they come from are not banned and easily available. In fact I saw a thoroughbread argentino at our park just the other weekend, another banned breed here in the uk.

The problem is when gypsies and pikey chavs get ahold of them, starve and beat them and encourage them to attack other animals in the parks that over time just become full blown monsters. And the power they have, they can tear just about anything to shreds in seconds be it animal or human.

1d.png
2d.png

Sorry but they are big goofs. The pussies that need them to be bodyguards are just sad cunts that give them a bad rep.

d3.png
Same colour's as my nephews dog.

anyQlBW.jpg

heh, awesome dogs man.
I can only inform an opinion on the ones I've met and they're soppy. My nephews one is just over a year old and about 45kg and I've met ones that have another 20kg on him easily. I let them come up to me and let them sniff my hand and then they throw themselves on the deck for a belly rub.

I won't lie the first time I met them I almost shit myself with regards to the width of their heads lol. They're very powerful dogs and 100% aren't suitable for everyone. I hate it with a passion seeing chavs with these dogs being pulled along, with absolutely no control whatsoever over their dogs.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
Ban Chihuahuas those things are evil af. My Pit Lab was the sweetest most attached dog I had. Bad people will turn any dog into a killer... look at those Chihuahuas, man fuck them little basterds.

Nvzman

No such thing as a bad dog, or a bad breed. Unfortunately, these ones are always owned by fucken cretin chavs and plastic gangsters. Ban definitely a good thing.
With most dog breeds I completely agree, I'm sorry, but with pitbulls that is absolutely full of shit, and I know from personal experience. I have a relative that is a huge animal lover, like as in foster cares for dogs and everything. She raised a pitbull from a pup, treated it as well as it could possibly be treated. One day she accidentally startled it just walking around the house, and it chewed off a massive chunk of her arm. It is in the nature of that specific breed to be hostile, thats exactly why they were bred in the first place; for dog-fighting. Unfortunately you cannot remove natural instincts no matter how good you are at training. People do not understand this. Thats not to say no pitbull has ever been a sweetheart, but it isn't also true either that its not the in the nature of the breed to be extremely hostile.

SirTerry-T

They were actually bred very specifically to be a dosile and family friendly version of the older pitbul breeds. I owned one for 8 years until he passed away to cancer and it was the best dog we ever owned. I named him Chop after GTAV for a laugh.

Dude was around 45kg, absolute brick shit house, but I could rest a treat on his nose and he wouldnt touch it for an hour until I said he could. Best dog ever. Watched over my house and baby like a mother bear.

1d.png
2d.png

d3.png
I would hope your Uncle wouldn't mutilate his dogs ears though? After all that's a banned offence in the UK since the early 2000’s.

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member
Ban Chihuahuas those things are evil af. My Pit Lab was the sweetest most attached dog I had. Bad people will turn any dog into a killer... look at those Chihuahuas, man fuck them little basterds.
Please show me a single account of a Chihuahua ever killing anyone. Bad people will absolutely not turn any dog into a killer. If so pit mixes wouldn't be at the top of every chart for human killings.

If you're joking then it's gone over my head because I've heard this same argument posited literally and without sarcasm by many delusional "dog lovers*" over the years.

*I love dogs. I am not a dog lover.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
It's absolutely insane that the RSPCA have been defending ownership of them.

To any none Brits, the RSPCA have officers that are quasi-police officers. They have the power to fine, initiate prosecutions, seize animals, and enter property.

We have similar in the US. ASPCA. There was even a "cop show" dealing with animal abuse and dangerous animals.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Your question is ridiculous.

If there were idiots walking around in my town with lions on the end of a rope then everyone would want the authorities to do something about it. The fact is that no one can get hold of lions so it's not an issue.

These dogs are far too dangerous and have killed children in the UK. No one needs to own one, it is purely to make up for the owners insecurity or as attack dogs for criminals. Neither of which is worth putting children's lives at risk.

Kids and adults HERE in the US get mauled by different breeds of dogs and animals... Rottweilers and Pit Bulls are widely used by cretins as dog fighters. It used to be that MOST reports of dog attacks were from these two breeds... so much so that when I happened upon a gorgeous golden colored pit bull, I panicked! But it was so sweet. Didn't growl, didn't bark, didn't bite. It just wanted a home. Even though it had a collar and probably belonged to someone. He or she was so sweet to me but my little dog scared it away. I would have taken it in if it weren't for my little terror.

My point is, don't treat them like shit and they won't be pieces of shit. Unfortunately, those cretins treat them like shit.

Sleepwalker

I agree that its the owner's fault and no dog is inherently evil.

These breeds do have a tendency for aggression which is why only qualified owners should be able to raise them and not shit bags. Actually shit bags should be banned from owning any dog but I know its sadly not feasible.

I've mostly raised huskies in my life, and never had trouble with any dog ever except a pitbull mix whose owner had unleashed at the park, it came up to my 2yo husky/malamute mix to say hi and it seemed like the dog wanted to play with her only to suddenly go at her neck with force.

Thankfully my dog was leashed and wearing a vest and I was able to get in there and pick her up to shoulder lenght, the other dog was locked into the vest and thankfully only got a hold of that so my wife quickly removed it from my dog. The shit owner only managed to get to us after it was all done and tried to say it was our dog's fault lmfao.

Ive actually never seen my dog so scared in her life and huskies/malamutes are a powerful breed with a strong bite, she weights around 30 kilos and is a taller dog but shes a bundle of love and didn't even defend herself lol.

I would hope your Uncle wouldn't mutilate his dogs ears though? After all that's a banned offence in the UK since the early 2000’s.
I believe xl bullies that are imported have their ears cropped unfortunately. My nephews dog was imported with all the paperwork etc. I've met many xl bullies bred in the UK without being cropped. I agree that cropping and docking is a repugnant practice.

Last edited:

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member
I agree that its the owner's fault and no dog is inherently evil.

These breeds do have a tendency for aggression which is why only qualified owners should be able to raise them and not shit bags. Actually shit bags should be banned from owning any dog but I know its sadly not feasible.

I've mostly raised huskies in my life, and never had trouble with any dog ever except a pitbull mix whose owner had unleashed at the park, it came up to my 2yo husky/malamute mix to say hi and it seemed like the dog wanted to play with her only to suddenly go at her neck with force.

Thankfully my dog was leashed and wearing a vest and I was able to get in there and pick her up to shoulder lenght, the other dog was locked into the vest and thankfully only got a hold of that so my wife quickly removed it from my dog. The shit owner only managed to get to us after it was all done and tried to say it was our dog's fault lmfao.

Ive actually never seen my dog so scared in her life and huskies/malamutes are a powerful breed with a strong bite, she weights around 30 kilos and is a taller dog but shes a bundle of love and didn't even defend herself lol.
No one's saying they're evil. Retrievers are bred to retrieve, pointers to point, it's not insensitive or out of the ordinary to acknowledge that. Pitbulls are bred for aggression, size, strength and to fight. There's nothing wrong with admitting that either its just a fact. It's as much in their nature as it is a foxhounds to....y'know hunt foxes.

Laieon

If you want a cuddly fluffy dog that "wouldn't hurt a fly" you would get a labrador or a chihuahua.

If you're looking for a cuddly dog that wouldn't hurt a fly, you definitely wouldn't get a chihuahua. They might be small, but those suckers are (or can absolutely be) feisty and mean.

Last edited:

Tams

Same colour's as my nephews dog.

anyQlBW.jpg

Look, I get the appeal beyond those wanting to look hard, even though I'd go for a collie or St Benard over one.

But it's just like guns. I love guns, especially assault rifles. Owning one would be great fun. But for the good of society, I accept that I can't, as there are too many bad actors out there who would use them to harm others and even more idiots who'd accidentally do so. And a gun doesn't have a mind of its own!

Less ridicolous than comparing dogs that can be educated to reduce risks to lions but ok.

You can have stricter laws for the owners so they think twice or thrice before buying these dogs , but i guess that global extermination of a race is easier to do.

I know it's not an easy problem to solve, i just hate when a race is about to get erased from existence because people are bad owners.
(And yes it can happen with good owners aswell, like with every other race of untrained dogs)
You're the one who brought up lions, not me.

Lions can also be trained to reduce the risks but we recognise that the reduction is coming from such a high level that it's not worth it. If one snaps then you're fucked. Same with these dogs.

Also, it can't happen with every other race of dogs. A chihuahua isn't going to maul a grown adult to death. These dogs have been bred to fight and kill.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Please show me a single account of a Chihuahua ever killing anyone. Bad people will absolutely not turn any dog into a killer. If so pit mixes wouldn't be at the top of every chart for human killings.

If you're joking then it's gone over my head because I've heard this same argument posited literally and without sarcasm by many delusional "dog lovers*" over the years.

*I love dogs. I am not a dog lover.
Here you go:

When I looked into the data further past the 7 most dangerous breeds, there was a shocking entry.

how hard can a chihuahua bite
Chihuahua’s were responsible for 1 human death between 2005 and 2017.
Yes, that’s right, a Chihuahua was responsible for killing someone between the years 2005 and 2017, with one death logged in the United States!

Also, Chihuahua’s were the breed that came in 4th when it came to bites on children.

DKehoe

Here you go:

When I looked into the data further past the 7 most dangerous breeds, there was a shocking entry.

Yes, that’s right, a Chihuahua was responsible for killing someone between the years 2005 and 2017, with one death logged in the United States!

Also, Chihuahua’s were the breed that came in 4th when it came to bites on children.

Fuck, what an embarrassing way to go.

Artoris

Gold Member
Here you go:

Chihuahuas go for the jugular artery when you are sleeping

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Like I said before, if you raise a pit from birth the RIGHT way, you're going to have a good dog.

Yes, Pits have been raised by cretins to fight and kill. That doesn't mean that's their nature. It means cretins raised them that way.

Also, they don't know their own strength. You don't put them with little kids ... They're too strong to where they try to play or be helpful, it can be misconstrued that they're attacking or being harmful. It's best they're raised by single adults, preferably very loving adults who will raise them right.

Fools idol

Banned
it's clear who has and who hasn't owned dogs in this thread isn't it. When I read the old 'ahhh yes but these dogs were bred to be aggressive' I just chuckle.

I can tell you the exact breeding process to subdue any aggressive natured dogs and it is done correctly over several generations to tune genetics and with the right training, (which includes a specific training for sound exposure to minimise the chance of a new sound type startling or scaring the dog) the chances of a dog breaking obedience is less than you getting struck by lightning.

In fact during the early 2000's, we were training a 65kg bully and it's owner was very concerned after it showed some food aggression towards his other dog. Turns out the guy had just not properly socialised his dog through the stereotype fear it would be aggressive and low and behold, it didnt like it when his other dog ate their breakfast together. This is nothing to do with the breed, and any dog can inhibit the same natural instinct around food time if not properly socialised.

GymWolf

You're the one who brought up lions, not me.

Lions can also be trained to reduce the risks but we recognise that the reduction is coming from such a high level that it's not worth it. If one snaps then you're fucked. Same with these dogs.

Also, it can't happen with every other race of dogs. A chihuahua isn't going to maul a grown adult to death. These dogs have been bred to fight and kill.
I think that training and having a lion on a leash is a bit different than doing that with a big dog tho :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Like i get it, it's hard to regulate dogs in a big city, but like other people said, it's gonna be a bitch to ban the race aswell because it is not that easy to categorize an xl bully and you don't have nearly enough cop on the streets to fine everyone with a big bull.

Starting with stricter rules for people who legally buy them would be at least a start, you buy a dog like that? you have to show proof that you educated the dog in a certified specialized centre, big fine if they are without a muzzle, etc.
Already putting a muzzle would reduce the risk of outdoors incidents by a lot unless this fucking spawn of evil in dog form like to use their paws to rip apart people but i never saw that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom