• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People walking their dogs in stores

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oppo

In a perfect world yes, but if everyone feels empowered to bring their dog to the store it eventually will be a problem. Right now it's maybe once a week that I see a "service" dog in a store. If you had 50% of customers bringing their dogs to the store it would absolutely be an issue regardless of liability. In my opinion people that bring their non-service dogs to the store have a false sense of entitlement.

and i say, the selfish ones are those who would decry this without any actual offense. that's fucking selfish.

look, i understand the argument, which is: "i don't like dogs. i saw dogs do bad things once. i don't want to see dogs." to which i cheerfully say, get fucked, honestly, from the bottom of my heart. yes, people are shitty. they can act shitty. they can let their dogs be assholes. and i would be the first person to yell or call the cops on such people.

but i can honestly say, multiple decades of watching dogs waltz in and out of stores, the amount of bad human behavior absolutely dwarfs anything i've seen from a dog in a store. it's not even close. not even the same ballpark. laughable, in fact. the dogs come out way ahead.

spend some time in a bar in Venice (dog heaven, by the way. no cars and they can't get lost on an island. they cruise the bars at night. it's adorable). no one cares. or Paris. or Munich. they don't care. because guess what: if the dog is acting up, everyone yells at the owner and they leave. most of the time people don't want to take a problematic or hyper or misbehaving dog into a store because they want to shop! and if they do, it gets resolved in short order.

the rest - "oh my sensibilities" - zero fucks, i give. they are unreasonable. so if a law is not being broken, they can moan into the uncaring wind until their lungs give out. it's useless bitching. no harm = no foul.

and i say, the selfish ones are those who would decry this without any actual offense. that's fucking selfish.

look, i understand the argument, which is: "i don't like dogs. i saw dogs do bad things once. i don't want to see dogs." to which i cheerfully say, get fucked, honestly, from the bottom of my heart. yes, people are shitty. they can act shitty. they can let their dogs be assholes. and i would be the first person to yell or call the cops on such people.

but i can honestly say, multiple decades of watching dogs waltz in and out of stores, the amount of bad human behavior absolutely dwarfs anything i've seen from a dog in a store. it's not even close. not even the same ballpark. laughable, in fact. the dogs come out way ahead.

spend some time in a bar in Venice (dog heaven, by the way. no cars and they can't get lost on an island. they cruise the bars at night. it's adorable). no one cares. or Paris. or Munich. they don't care. because guess what: if the dog is acting up, everyone yells at the owner and they leave. most of the time people don't want to take a problematic or hyper or misbehaving dog into a store because they want to shop! and if they do, it gets resolved in short order.

the rest - "oh my sensibilities" - zero fucks, i give. they are unreasonable. so if a law is not being broken, they can moan into the uncaring wind until their lungs give out. it's useless bitching. no harm = no foul.

Your way off base friend and your aggressive post is a clue to your lack of objectivity. I love dogs. I've had dogs all my life. There is no reason to bring your dog grocery shopping. If there are more open establishments that are pet friendly sure, but I'm talking about going to a crowded grocery store in the US. My sole argument has been that IF a majority of dog owners decided to bring their furry companions with them whilst performing errands it would be an issue. So if you can't post a decent argument as to why people should bring their dogs to the store than forget it. It's not a question of can, but should.

Leave your dog at home please. It's not a child.

I said that babies and their parents are far more annoying than any dog. Not sure where you'd get any other conclusion from what I've posted.

No.

A single well behaving dog isn't an issue, but if you take a typical grocery store in the US and increase the occupancy by 50% with dogs then you have a problem. You and your dog are not special. Everyone wan't to bring their pets with them everywhere, but they don't because they have respect for others that you lack.

Really? The DOGS behave better than your child most likely. Leave the kid at home with a baby sitter.

A truly ignorant reply. Some dogs behave better than some children. Please do not assume the behavior of my children. That is very rude. I am not portraying any one's dog as behaving badly.

Oppo

Your way off base friend and your aggressive post is a clue to your lack of objectivity. I love dogs. I've had dogs all my life. There is no reason to bring your dog grocery shopping. If there are more open establishments that are pet friendly sure, but I'm talking about going to a crowded grocery store in the US. My sole argument has been that IF a majority of dog owners decided to bring their furry companions with them whilst performing errands it would be an issue. So if you can't post a decent argument as to why people should bring their dogs to the store than forget it. It's not a question of can, but should.

Leave your dog at home please. It's not a child.

i walk to local stores. i live in Canada. sometimes it's -20°C outside. so yeah, there are reasons. and the store owners have no problem. Or i take local transit, which again is fine.

my dog actually likes hanging outside so 90% of the time i do leave him out. but sometimes i get caught in the rain. so i'll bring him in. it's no problem. because i am responsible for my dog. not everyone is - but that applies to themselves as well. drunk or beligerent or violent people get thrown out or arrested.

if you accept service dogs in stores and on transit then a lot of the common arguments don't hold up (allergies etc).

by the way - dogs are not permitted here around open foods so the grocery store example, i agree with that limit. i saw dogs in bars and restaurants overseas and i do not agree with that. but a hardware store? doesn't matter. in fact i told a woman with a dog in Tim Hortons the other day that it was a pretty bad idea.

i walk to local stores. i live in Canada. sometimes it's -20°C outside. so yeah, there are reasons. and the store owners have no problem. Or i take local transit, which again is fine.

my dog actually likes hanging outside so 90% of the time i do leave him out. but sometimes i get caught in the rain. so i'll bring him in. it's no problem. because i am responsible for my dog. not everyone is - but that applies to themselves as well. drunk or beligerent or violent people get thrown out or arrested.

by the way - dogs are not permitted here around open foods so the grocery store example, i agree with. i saw dogs in bars and restaurants overseas and i do not agree with that. but a hardware store? doesn't matter.

Why can't you leave you dog at the house?

As of right now there aren't a lot of policies in most places, because it has been assumed that people won't bring their pets to the store. As long as it's a minority and there is no issue I don't see strong policies forbidding it. Rest assured that will change if more and more people decide fido is welcome at the local grocery.

A truly ignorant reply. Some dogs behave better than some children. Please do not assume the behavior of my children. That is very rude. I am not portraying any one's dog as behaving badly.

There isn't anything ignorant about it, you said the same thing about people with dogs pretty much and any dog with just a little bit of training is better behaved than most people under 25 years old now a days.

A single well behaving dog isn't an issue, but if you take a typical grocery store in the US and increase the occupancy by 50% with dogs then you have a problem. You and your dog are not special. Everyone wan't to bring their pets with them everywhere, but they don't because they have respect for others that you lack.

Dogs aren't allowed in grocery stores or restaurants aside from service animals. I wouldn't take a dog into somewhere it didn't belong or where a business did not allow it to be.

Therefore I have far more respect for others than your nasty, holier-than-tou posting would suggest you possess.

I've never seen a dog behave like this in a public place btw http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1326230

Oppo

Why can't you leave you dog at the house?

As of right now there aren't a lot of policies in most places, because it has been assumed that people won't bring their pets to the store. As long as it's a minority and there is no issue I don't see strong policies forbidding it. Rest assured that will change if more and more people decide fido is welcome at the local grocery.

Because, simply: 1, the dog needs walking, 2, I need to visit stores, and 3, said stores are cool with it. My dog loves everybody, i've never even had a negative interaction with anyone about him inside a store.

There isn't anything ignorant about it, you said the same thing about people with dogs pretty much and any dog with just a little bit of training is better behaved than most people under 25 years old now a days.

You sound like one of those people that would save an animal before a human. Dogs can be trained, but still be unpredictable. If you are elevating dogs above humans than I am done talking with you.

Edit: I see where this is going and I'm out. Dogz are better than humaz guyz. for real. I can see no stances are going to change.

If you have a well behaved dog and are going to establishments that openly accept pets than more power.

If you are taking advantage of vague store policies to bring your pet into the grocery. Stop.

Oreoleo

To be quite honest I find the idea of even taking my dog to the pet store unless it's being groomed a completely bizarre idea. It's a dog. It can wait in the car or stay at home. How we've gotten to the point that people think taking a pet into a grocery store is okay is baffling to me.

norm9

To be quite honest I find the idea of even taking my dog to the pet store unless it's being groomed a completely bizarre idea. It's a dog. It can wait in the car or stay at home. How we've gotten to the point that people think taking a pet into a grocery store is okay is baffling to me.

Nobody tells ME what to do!

i walk to local stores. i live in Canada. sometimes it's -20°C outside. so yeah, there are reasons.

You knew what the weather was like before you left home. Winter or Summer, Canada or elsewhere the temperature doesn't suddenly drop to -20 or rise to 40 on the drop of a hat. You knew the conditions before leaving your home.

if you accept service dogs in stores and on transit then a lot of the common arguments don't hold up (allergies etc).

Allowing service dogs falls under "Reasonable Accommodation" and is also covered by The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, the Canadian Human Rights Act of 1977 and is also outlined in the International Disability Rights. Disabled people have the protected right to function and participate in all aspects of society and use the tools that allow them to achieve that unimpeded.
Besides the vast majority of people are willing to accommodate discomfort so a blind person can buy milk. Not so much when it's just a dude bringing his dog into a store just cause.

by the way - dogs are not permitted here around open foods so the grocery store example, i agree with that limit. i saw dogs in bars and restaurants overseas and i do not agree with that. but a hardware store? doesn't matter. in fact i told a woman with a dog in Tim Hortons the other day that it was a pretty bad idea.

Yes fine it's just a hardware store, but you are forgetting the very real and very expensive legal obligation should that animal cause an injury or create an accident to a customer or employee while within the store. I personally feel it is extremely selfish to expect a business to gamble their finances just so someone can bring an animal into a store for no other reason than because they want to.

Hey if I could 100% guarantee a customer's dog would never bite a child or cause an accident no matter what AND the injured person - or their parents/guardian - wouldn't sue (or even claim against my insurance which still costs a fuck of a lot btw), I'd let pets in everyday. But I can't, you can't, it's simply impossible and this is why pets aren't allowed in many stores.

Comparing a dog to a child is a false equivalency. You put a dog food and water on the floor and you can leave it at home. You can not do this with a child. Saying a dog is better behaved means nothing because they are not the same.

Futureman

I think we should encourage dogs in stores. Dogs are furry, friendly and fun to play with. Stores could be more accommodating with designated bathroom zones for my pets. It would make shopping with my dogs more fluid and less stressful.

In what universe would a dog owner have their dog shit in a store and then make an employee clean it up?

If someone tried to do that they'd probably be laughed at and given a paper towel and some spray.

LOL

Ive worked in stores where people have taken shits in the women's underwear department. People are horrible.

I'd be weirded out seeing dogs sniffing around my produce section. And the Trader Joe's near me are way too small (with narrow aisles) to give up floor space to pets.

gaiages

Banned
I'm both allergic and afraid of any dog bigger than a small poodle, so not a big fan of non-service dogs in grocery and retail stores. Thankfully the most I've personally seen are purse dogs.

xrnzaaas

I love dogs, but I think it should be forbidden if the store sells any kind of food. Same with restaurants, bars etc.

Honestly I would have thought the consensus would have been it is gross, unhygienic considering half the people here would nuke a restaurant if they found a hair in their food etc.

I get the fundamental difference in my example but dogs shed.

Jito

Banned
I never intentionally walked my dog in a store other than a pet store but sometimes my dog would wander into the shop when she seen me waiting in the line to pay for stuff. Most of the time people didn't mind because they knew I was basically leaving within the next two minutes, one security guard even always gave her food from the deli when he seen her.

You did get some right cunts moaning about it the odd time though.

Wait am I reading this correctly, you let your dog just wander around outside while you're shopping? That's really irresponsible.

It's dangerous for both the dog and people walking into the shop. Tie up your dog like a sensible owner.

Not necessarily. I know a mechanic who leaves his red cattle dog outside of shops and that thing won't move. Just sits where he tells it to and won't budge an inch until he's back.

Once saw it sitting outside a bakery and called it over to me. He just cocked his head to one side and went back to staring at the bakery, even though he knows me and I feed him from time to time. Good doggo.

My adopted staffy won't do that shit though. I turn around for 5 seconds and he's licking bins or rolling in a gutter, the jerk. Depends on their training.

sappyday

I've had to deal with dog shit at my job a couple of times, but then again I've had to also deal with human shit being on the floor as well.

RocknRola

As long as the dogs are well behaved I personally don't mind. That said I can see how they could be a "problem" per say. So if a store or even the government at large decides that it's not something that should be allowed I'm more than fine with it.

I've only ever had issues with agressive owners (you know, the kind that teach their dogs to be ultra agressive because....reasons I think?) so again, personally I wouldn't mind it (as long as the owners are held responsible for their "nature calls" too, should they happen).

Jito

Banned
Not necessarily. I know a mechanic who leaves his red cattle dog outside of shops and that thing won't move. Just sits where he tells it to and won't budge an inch until he's back.

Once saw it sitting outside a bakery and called it over to me. He just cocked his head to one side and went back to staring at the bakery, even though he knows me and I feed him from time to time. Good doggo.

My adopted staffy won't do that shit though. I turn around for 5 seconds and he's licking bins or rolling in a gutter, the jerk. Depends on their training.

Oh ok you've seen one dog behaving outside a shop? You're right, just do what you want then, nothing can go wrong with evidence like that.

m23

I love dogs and have on of my own but I kind of agree that they don't need to be in all types of stores.

I think we all agree that dogs shouldn't be in grocery stores or anyplace selling food but what's the point in bringing them around shopping? Pet stores I understand of course, but like I'm sure your dog will be perfectly OK for a couple of hours at home alone.

The excuse that they need walking makes no sense, you take them for walks to parks and around neighborhoods, not in a mall.

Allergies, phobias, and just people who are uncomfortable with dogs, many reasons why dogs shouldn't be brought everywhere. I feel like it's the owners who want more attention than the dog at a certain point.

Oppo

You knew what the weather was like before you left home. Winter or Summer, Canada or elsewhere the temperature doesn't suddenly drop to -20 or rise to 40 on the drop of a hat. You knew the conditions before leaving your home.
well putting aside rain for a sec, what i meant was, i can walk the dog in -20 for about 20 minutes. but i don't want to leave him outside while i shop for another 20 + the trip home, you see. again most of the time i do leave him at home or outside. and sometimes i take him in. had zero issues.

(also you've clearly never been to Halifax)

Allowing service dogs falls under "Reasonable Accommodation" and is also covered by The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, the Canadian Human Rights Act of 1977 and is also outlined in the International Disability Rights. Disabled people have the protected right to function and participate in all aspects of society and use the tools that allow them to achieve that unimpeded.
Besides the vast majority of people are willing to accommodate discomfort so a blind person can buy milk. Not so much when it's just a dude bringing his dog into a store just cause.
...ok? that's all good? people can and do accommodate casual dog presence here, that's the point of the thread. again i can book hotels. not crap ones, nice ones, with my dog. what does that tell you?

do you believe in seizure dogs?

Yes fine it's just a hardware store, but you are forgetting the very real and very expensive legal obligation should that animal cause an injury or create an accident to a customer or employee while within the store. I personally feel it is extremely selfish to expect a business to gamble their finances just so someone can bring an animal into a store for no other reason than because they want to.
are you sure is this an actual thing? can some stablishment get sued for a patron's dog biting another patron? i've never heard of that. a store wouldn't be sued if there was an assault.

at any rate, i'm not "gambling" anything, the store is free to hang a sign and i would of course abide. but they're also free to say they welcome dogs and put out treats and water bowls.

Admodieus

I like dogs, but I don't see how anybody can expect to bring their dog anywhere and everywhere they go. I'm sorry that you now have to make two separate trips outside (one for the store, one to walk your dog), but owning a dog is not mandatory, nor is it a right. Like most things in life, when you sign up for owning a dog, you realize you'll have to make certain sacrifices. I shouldn't have to have my allergies flare up in a pharmacy because you think your dog is some gift to the world.

muteki

I don't really like it but have never felt strongly enough about it to make a fuss. Bigger problems to worry about.

RocknRola

Though, I do pose a question for those that want this to happen on global scale (in terms of being allowed everywhere): what of people with allergies? What of people with phobias? Should they not be taken into account?

I'd say that's the biggest problem with this sort of measure. Someone having a severe allergic reaction or a phobia attack in a store simply because in most stores there isn't that much space to avoid other people to begin with. Who'd be held accountable then? You (the owner)? The store? The other person?

I don't think anyone should be forced to not be able to go to, say, a grocery store because dogs are allowed inside. Again, I personally, don't mind it one bit. But societies need to account for everyone as much as they can. Sometimes that means our wants/wishes can't be applied at large.

noire

Unconfirmed Member
This is in the Bay Area, and I have seen it happen in SF, because there is not a lot of places to walk your dog (check out the news story of the lamp post that fell over due to excessive dog urine), but not in the more suburban areas, until recently.

Saw more of this shit in the Bay than anywhere else I've lived. I chalked it up to people in that area being self-centered butt holes, but that's reductive.

Portland and Denver are incredibly dog-friendly, but people seem more responsible. To your point, there is also better infrastructure in those cities.

See it a lot more often these days and because I like dogs, I like it but understand how people who aren't into dogs might be put off by it. Little weird in a super market, but truthfully, the dogs are probably less dirty than most of the people walking through there.

A while back there were topics on comfort animals walking around stores and things, like the turkey that took a flight with it's owner. The comfort animal thing is one issue, but I'm seeing a new trend that seems to be happening more and more: people just walking their dogs, everywhere.

Is this a trend in any of your areas? Either as a worker or a customer? This is in the Bay Area, and I have seen it happen in SF, because there is not a lot of places to walk your dog (check out the news story of the lamp post that fell over due to excessive dog urine), but not in the more suburban areas, until recently.

We don't get this too often but it's more frequently than before, yes. I currently work some off-hours in a tabletop game shop just outside the local mall. We're in a pretty high-volume foot traffic area, for this city, and I get probably 2 or 3 dogs a week, tops.

The owner of the shop hates when people bring in their pets. There's been a handful of 'accidents' where dogs have peed in various parts of the store. There's always a ton of dander and pet hair everywhere after they leave. There's been a few incidents of animals damaging product both incidentally - knocking it off a shelf - or less so - by chewing on it. We also get a lot of little kids and they don't have a fraction of the impact that pets seem to. People tend to watch their kids a lot more and when a child breaks something, the parents almost always just pay for it without complaint. Dog owners, on the other hand, seem to ignore their pets and are the first to argue when their pet does something wrong in the store.

And a good portion of customers don't like dogs, are allergic to dogs, or simply don't want to shop in a place with other people's dogs. There's also some people who love when dogs come into the shop, but they seem to be in the minority. The problem is that... if you don't like kids, it has no impact on the kid. If you don't like dogs, the animal can generally pick up on that and, depending on the level of training, react poorly. We've had this happen a few times already where someone really, really doesn't like dogs - like has a legitimate phobia of them - and someone brings in their pet only to have it make an immediate fucking bee-line for that person and freak them out. Now we've just lost a regular customer. We might have a unique circumstance compared to other shops, however. Because we're a tabletop gaming store, our customers don't just stop in to shop. They're in the store for hours and hours at a time playing board games, MTG, Warhammer, etc. And bringing in their own games, minis, cards. We need to maintain an environment where it is reasonably safe and comfortable for them to do so. Throwing animals into the mix is another variable we need to account for and plan for.

Overall, it's a huge net negative to have animals regularly in the store. We're not a pet shop. We're not used to, equipped to deal with, or have the expectation for our customers to have animals in the store. There's a lot of little things those shops do that completely negate or minimize the impact of animal traffic. We don't.

And we can't say anything about it either, really, because of comfort animal laws - which non-necessary people are clearly abusing the fuck out of. No one wants to take the risk of telling someone they can't have an animal in the shop only to have them pull out their card and throw a tantrum in the shop about how we're breaking the law or otherwise some form of prejudice. Because "other shops don't say anything about it". Even if they don't have a legal comfort/assistance animal, they still take that shit to 11 in a heartbeat. So we say nothing while secretly hating them.

If everyone had well-trained pets that were legitimate comfort/assist animals, there probably wouldn't be a problem. But every person thinks their dog is 'good' and well-trained, sometimes even after it clearly demonstrates it isn't. And they've unfortunately learned that +90% of shops won't say anything to avoid having a confrontation. So they do the typical dog owner thing and just impose their pets on everyone around them and if you don't like it something must be wrong with you.

Samara

If you live on a big yard, then I see no problem. I've been chased by multiple dogs out without leashes . I bolted from one side of the street to another outta fear. Usually the old ''He's a nice dog. He won't hurt you''. I do not care, some huge ass rottweiller/german shepard that can rip my arm off comes running after me and I'm supposed to think he's nice?

Even smaller dogs. My neighbor lost 4 dogs in 2 years letting the dogs loose.

I don't know, I always see service dogs as either labs or those Mira dogs. Trained of course. Sucks that we can't pet them.
Chiots-promo-Eukanuba-web.jpg

Hitmeneer

I have two smaller dogs, between the 5 and 10 kg's, and live in Italy. Luckily here in Italy more and more stores have become dog friendly. Recently big supermarket chains have been introducing special shopping carts with space for the dogs.

I prefer to take my dogs with me, because we go out for a walk and then do shopping after, so it is convenient to bring them to shopping too. Furthermore, my dogs are from the shelter and one does not like to stay at home alone as she is afraid of being abandoned again (she was left in the forest, with her ears partially cut and with one eye hanging out, poor thing :( ).

In the end I see mostly people being happy to see dogs around them, especially the shop assistents. At restaurants they often give bread to our dogs and our dogs are bff's with the shop assistens of Burberry.
Shops are free to decide to not let in dogs, but I am free to chose an alternative and spend my money elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom