• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolph Lundgren is doing a training montage to prepare for Creed 2

gamz

So nobody really knows what's up which is why I was wondering what would happen if he didn't want to go along with Stallone's retro horseshit

Of course he would. From every interview I've read Coogler and Jordan respected the hell of of Sly and leaned on him quite a bit. I mean the man has wrote and/or directed 6 Rocky's.

They do but now 30 years later both Drago and Russia are down on their luck and that moment is lost to time. Adonis comes to Dragos struggling business in Moscow for [plot reason] and together they change each others lives for the better.

Also boxing.
Adonis will confront Drago at a gym, out of guilt for killing Apollo he'll let him beat him up, just as he's about to land the killer punch Adonis stops, Drago yells "DO IT" , Adonis cocks his hand again, Rocky does a Sting-style run-in save --> hijinks--> Adonis becomes world champion with Drago in his corner.

Book this shit.

-- V.Russo

Rocky IV is more of a 90 minute musical montage video than an actual film. I understand the appeal, I guess (most of it nostalgic), but it's also some really silly shit.

Shadybiz

Looks fantastic for his age, for sure.

Rocky IV is more of a 90 musical montage video than an actual film. I understand the appeal, I guess (most of it nostalgic), but it's also some really silly shit.

Yeah, when I was a little kid, I didn't realize how true this was, but then I went back and watched it when I was around 20, and I just thought "....hey, this is a music video." Still like it, though.

gamz

Looks fantastic for his age, for sure.

Yeah, when I was a little kid, I didn't realize how true this was, but then I went back and watched it when I was around 20, and I just thought "....hey, this is a music video." Still like it, though.

Everything was a music video. It was that time period.

What makes you think I can't see what it's trying to do? It's not like its hidden.

It just does it all really, really fucking poorly. And perfunctorily on top of that, because it's obvious that Stallone doesn't really care that much about any of the themes he's greasing up and sliding into the film (at least, not beyond their function in making him look good). What he cares about is making an entire movie out of nothing but glossy montages. It's the only thing the film is successful at.

As such, the film feels empty. It's a bunch of lazy, shortcutted emotional sensations tethered to nothing, stitched back-to-back-to-back-(to back-tobacktoba) and slathered in baby oil.

Rocky IV is a piece of shit. Or to use the wine analogy from upthread, it's not even Gallo or Martini & Rossi. Or fuckin Franzia. Or Mad Dog 20/20.

Shit's PRUNO.

I don't know who that guy is in the movie but it's not Rocky Balboa.

I don't know about depth or any of that. But it is a really entertaining movie. Music, montages, David v goliath fight scene followed by one of the cheesiest yet cheer inducing speeches in all moviedom

Let the hate go Bobby. Just let loose sit back and enjoy Paulies handjob robot.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Good.

Adonis has two potential nemesis going forward -- Wheeler or a Conlan rematch.

Nah, Creed was mostly Rocky 1 redone. Creed 2 should cherry pick a few things from the next 3.

Start him off as Champ, earning the vacated belt. Have him start to follow in his father's footsteps, Rocky's decaying health, Tessa's loss of hearing, etc.

But it is a really entertaining movie.

It's not though. There's no real entertainment to be found in it. It's just made too poorly for that.

The speech isn't even any good. He made a movie where Sylvester Stallone (not Rocky, STALLONE.) gives a speech that ends the cold war and Sylvester Stallone couldn't even write Sylvester Stallone a good speech. Which is probably why he didn't deliver it well, either.

At least he managed to put some good words in his mouth for Balboa. Which is entertaining.

Yeah it was certain commercial films that were like that like Top Gun and Flashdance for example.

Yeah, the entire decade didn't look like a Bruckheimer flick. And even the Bruckheimer flicks made more sense (from both a filmmaking and storytelling perspective) than Rocky IV did. The idea the entire decade's film output had a lot in common with Rocky IV is just weird.

Nah, Creed was mostly Rocky 1 redone.

Why are people still saying this. No, it's not.

Are you saying they weren't influential?

They influenced some shit, yeah. Not to the extent you're claiming.

"everything was a music video."

No. It wasn't. Not even most things.

And that's ignoring the fact that even the things that were influenced by MTV/Miami Vice (meaning basically influenced by Michael Mann/Tony Scott/Sylvester Stallone) were more often than not done better than how Stallone did it in Rocky IV.

Even if you wanna grade Rocky IV on the curve of "how was it as a music video it was a shitty music video.

What makes you think I can't see what it's trying to do? It's not like its hidden.

It just does it all really, really fucking poorly. And perfunctorily on top of that, because it's obvious that Stallone doesn't really care that much about any of the themes he's greasing up and sliding into the film (at least, not beyond their function in making him look good). What he cares about is making an entire movie out of nothing but glossy montages. It's the only thing the film is successful at.

As such, the film feels empty. It's a bunch of lazy, shortcutted emotional sensations tethered to nothing, stitched back-to-back-to-back-(to back-tobacktoba) and slathered in baby oil.

Rocky IV is a piece of shit. Or to use the wine analogy from upthread, it's not even Gallo or Martini & Rossi. Or fuckin Franzia. Or Mad Dog 20/20.

Shit's PRUNO.

I don't know who that guy is in the movie but it's not Rocky Balboa.

I think anyone who thinks Rocky IV is jingoistic us vs them production is deeply missing the point.

border

This is the dumbest and most ill-advised thing they could plausibly do with a Creed sequel. Drago only barely works as a cartoon villain in the context of 1980's anti-Soviet hysteria. Take him out of that and age him by 30 years and what do you get? Just an old dude with an accent.

No, the point the film is attempting is just that badly made.

You can give the movie credit for badly attempting it, sure. That's you.

I'm not gonna do that.

Well OK, at least we're there. But that's all the more reason for a more competent approach to building off of a blueprint that is full of potential.

This is the dumbest and most ill-advised thing they could plausibly do with a Creed sequel. Drago only barely works as a cartoon villain in the context of 1980's anti-Soviet hysteria. Take him out of that and age him by 30 years and what do you get? Just an old dude with an accent.

A reflection on how jingoistic nationalism ultimatly doesn't care for it's heroes and how one can work to atone for the mistakes of your youth in a world that has passed you by?

Garlador

No, the point the film is attempting is just that badly made.

You can give the movie credit for badly attempting it, sure. That's you.

I'm not gonna do that.

Rocky IV? Badly made?

Next you'll tell me Rambo II, Predator, or Bloodsport are badly made too!

Rocky IV is a classic!...
unless you're the Soviet Union.

Rocky Balboa was way better than Creed.

Man fuck no.

Rocky IV? Badly made?

Next you'll tell me Rambo II, Predator, or Bloodsport are badly made too!

All of those movies are better than Rocky IV. Easily. The idea that you'd compare Predator to the other two doesn't make any sense to me though. Maybe Rambo: First Blood Part II, but even then that's a really weak comparison that Predator just stomps all over.

Bloodsport is at least competently made. Which makes it far beyond whatever the fuck Rocky IV is doing.

Yes.

It was Miami Vice and MTV. MTV was highly influential to film back then. Obviously Rocky over did it, but it's influences is obvious for the period of time it was made.

That MTV style and editing didn't really have it's major influence until the 90's, really unless you're only just talking about the music videos that played on the network.

Garlador

Man fuck no.

All of those movies are better than Rocky IV. Easily. The idea that you'd compare Predator to the other two doesn't make any sense to me though. Maybe Rambo: First Blood Part II, but even then that's a really weak comparison that Predator just stomps all over.

Bloodsport is at least competently made. Which makes it far beyond whatever the fuck Rocky IV is doing.

tumblr_lxpp28Us2v1qenw12o2_r1_250.gif

gamz

They influenced some shit, yeah. Not to the extent you're claiming.

"everything was a music video."

No. It wasn't. Not even most things.

And that's ignoring the fact that even the things that were influenced by MTV/Miami Vice (meaning basically influenced by Michael Mann/Tony Scott/Sylvester Stallone) were more often than not done better than how Stallone did it in Rocky IV.

Even if you wanna grade Rocky IV on the curve of "how was it as a music video it was a shitty music video.

Disagree. Not saying everything was literally a music video, but it was highly influential. Long Music sequences, over stylized, rapid cutting, dancing and more dancing. Not saying EVERYTHING was that, but the more popular popish movies had that similar vibe.

Not saying EVERYTHING was that, but the more popular popish movies had that similar vibe.

You did say everything was that, and you're incorrect.

I don't know if you're just misremembering it, or you're kinda just guessing based on what you've seen since, but that's not what it was really like.

border

A reflection on how jingoistic nationalism ultimatly doesn't care for it's heroes and how one can work to atone for the mistakes of your youth in a world that has passed you by?

I'm not sure how that really works into Creed's story. Do fans of this series even want to see Drago humanized and hitting rock bottom?

This franchise has already had a villain turn into a hero. Doing that again would really be scraping the bottom of the barrel.

I'm not sure how that really works into Creed's story. Do fans of this series even want to see Drago humanized and hitting rock bottom?

This franchise has already had a villain turn into a hero. Doing that again would really be scraping the bottom of the barrel.

I mean, i do. I think he could be worked in any number of ways because the connection is there, and i think the relationship would be different compared to Rocky and Apollo since they became "equals" while Drago would serve more of a supporting role since his time has passed.

Top Bottom