• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphins recorded having a conversation, evidence of highly developed spoken language

Status
Not open for further replies.

gutshot

Two dolphins have been recorded having a conversation for the first time after scientists developed an underwater microphone which could distinguish the animals' different "voices".

Researchers have known for decades that the mammals had an advanced form of communication, using distinctive clicks and whistles to show they are excited, happy, stressed or separated from the group.

But scientists have now shown that dolphins alter the volume and frequency of pulsed clicks to form individual "words" which they string together into sentences in much the same way that humans speak.

Researchers at the Karadag Nature Reserve, in Feodosia, Ukraine, recorded two Black Sea bottlenose dolphins, called Yasha and Yana, talking to each other in a pool. They found that each dolphin would listen to a sentence of pulses without interruption, before replying.

Lead researcher Dr Vyacheslav Ryabov, said: “Essentially, this exchange resembles a conversation between two people.

“Each pulse that is produced by dolphins is different from another by its appearance in the time domain and by the set of spectral components in the frequency domain.

“In this regard, we can assume that each pulse represents a phoneme or a word of the dolphin's spoken language.

“The analysis of numerous pulses registered in our experiments showed that the dolphins took turns in producing [sentences] and did not interrupt each other, which gives reason to believe that each of the dolphins listened to the other's pulses before producing its own.

“This language exhibits all the design features present in the human spoken language, this indicates a high level of intelligence and consciousness in dolphins, and their language can be ostensibly considered a highly developed spoken language, akin to the human language.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/...ecorded-having-a-conversation-for-first-time/

Can't wait until we develop a way to understand and then communicate with dolphins. It will almost be like communicating with aliens.

mike6467

I thought this was going to be about how Miami fucked up the game against Seattle and how they planned to fix their issues.

SL128

I know there's a Simpsons gif for this.
1109124.gif

Considering those that are 'in the country' are imprisoned in aquariums to perform labor against their will, this parallel you're drawing just looks stronger.

If we can ever speak with them directly, I wonder if they'd be interested in learning about our Lord, Jesus Christ. If a dolphin accepts God into their hearts, will they be allowed into heaven

In all seriousness, I do legitimately wonder if dolphins would be advanced enough to have complex thoughts beyond basic survival, or how they would view their world.

Surfinn

I wonder what they have to say about the way we treat their species.

Pretty fascinating stuff. I hope we can figure out their language.

Wouldn't it also be crazy to think of the types of art/literature produced by dolphins? Like if they had their own version of Shakespeare?

I'm not trying to be funny with that. If they developed language, then literature isn't too far behind, and since they can't write it down, it would likely be performative... like a dolphin play, or whatever their version of it is.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
In all seriousness, I do legitimately wonder if dolphins would be advanced enough to have complex thoughts beyond basic survival, or how they would view their world.
Their brains are fucking huge, for one thing. They can be curious, playful, needlessly violent and have exhibited many other advanced social traits.

Slaythe

Although dolphins can be incredibly intelligent and are often affectionate toward and form bonds with humans (they have been know to give gifts to people in Australia, team up with Brazilian fishermen, and blow fun bubble rings, for example), the animals can be incredibly dangerous, too.

They try to rape and drown people; they gang rape their females and sometimes hold them hostage for weeks; they murder baby porpoises for fun; they kill the babies of rival male dolphins, because as soon as her child dies, a female dolphin is ready to be raped and impregnated immediately.

Yeah er....

At least that explains that.

N.Domixis

Banned
Even though they are smart, the down side is that they live in water and they have no arms. If these two didn't happen they would probably eventually become a civilization.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I think we already knew that dolphins, whales, and elephants give each other names. (They can call out individuals), and that whales also "sing", producing elaborate sequences of unique, melodic sounds which serve as a form of long distance communication. Elephants also have elaborate funeral rituals for the deceased (and mourn the deaths of strangers, relatives, and friends, even those from other species, showcasing an inate biological yearning to empathize and connect with others, which two way communication almost requires.)

That these creatures have even more elaborate spoken languages which allow for individual, face to face correspondences, not just summonings of individuals or broad, long range general announcements should come as no surprise. But it's still fascinating to see.

(On another note: the domesticated dog is better than any other species at reading human body language, and humans are unusually adept at reading canine body language, a byproduct of our coevolution as species).

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Even though they are smart, the down side is that they live in water and they have no arms. If these two didn't happen they would probably eventually become a civilization.

Dolphin populations off the Australian coast have been observed transferring knowledge both vertically (across generations) and laterally (within the same generation, within and across pods) pertaining to tool use.

Also, I'd be curious as to if they developed any sort social constructs that language helps to provide. Do all dolphins speak the same language?

Pretty much my question. Can dolphins born and raised in captivity communicate effectively with wild dolphins, or would they be effectively mute? Does this kind of communication arise between wild dolphins at all or is it unique to this pair of dolphins only?

_Ryo_

Damn. This is amazing but I'm kind of afraid that people will try to weaponize dolphins now. No, seriously. What if you could teach a dolphin to understand English? Dolphin spys everywhere. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom