• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphins recorded having a conversation, evidence of highly developed spoken language

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCN

Banned
If dolphins were that smart wouldn't they have done more by now? Obviously I don't know much about what dolphins do but don't they just spend the whole day swimming around and finding food to eat?

I don't know about you, but that sounds WAY preferable to spending 8 hours a day sat in an office. Perhaps dolphins have got it right.

Why does the peace end after thousand years?

iiam.gif

G.ZZZ

Lots of cetaceans have exibithed a strange things to explain without sentience. The desire to kill without eating and the desire to save cubs of other species for no apparent reason than emotional simpathy, or you may even call that benevolence.

We have such a limited view on what actually constitute intelligence. Also yeah, dolphin could easily be smarter than us in a "general" sense, but without hands, you'd still be stuck in the wild age forever, maybe propagating myths and whatsnot but no hands mean no crafting, no trading, no need for math, geometry, or anything really.

We can give a person who has lost a hand or arm a robotic replacement that they can actually use to work with, would something like that be at all possible with a dolphin? Stick some robotic arms on them, train them how to use them, watch the world fall to them?

Or maybe dolphins and octopi are secret friends, the octopi act as the dolphin's hands.

Mivey

Until I see a dolphin posting photos of its latte on instagram I'm gonna remain nonplussed.
If anything, that proves them more intelligent than most humans. They'd use Google+. Since no ones using it, the dolphins would have it for themselves.

We can give a person who has lost a hand or arm a robotic replacement that they can actually use to work with, would something like that be at all possible with a dolphin? Stick some robotic arms on them, train them how to use them, watch the world fall to them?

Or maybe dolphins and octopi are secret friends, the octopi act as the dolphin's hands.
We have made prosthetic fins for dolphins already. So the first step is done.

Imagine if we could recruit Dolphins to save lives.

Also, y'all fucked up. Remember that researcher who ended up getting sexually assaulted by a Dolphin? Cause she kept getting too close. You form a bond with them and they'll assume you want them to fuck you.

They kind of already do

Naval Base Kitsap, a marine base 20 miles from Seattle, may be home to the world's largest single-location arsenal of nuclear weapons, and it's defended by dolphins trained by the US Navy.

"Nearly one-quarter of America’s 9,962 nuclear weapons are now assigned to the Bangor submarine base on Hood Canal, 20 air miles northwest of downtown Seattle," the Seattle Times reported in 2006.

"This makes Bangor the largest nuclear weapons storehouse in the United States, and possibly the world," according to the Seattle Times.

Navy spokesman Chris Haley told Business Insider that the US Navy has used dolphins to defend the waters around the base since May 2010. Before then, according to another Navy spokesman, trained sea lions were also used to detect unwanted swimmers.

When a dolphin finds a swimmer, the animals swim back to their trainers, who might give them a transponder to drop near the intruder.

Alternatively, according to Clayton Swansen, a dolphin handler who worked in the Navy program between 2003 and 2005, the marine mammals are equipped with a bite plate that holds a shackle that the dolphins can use to disable an intruder. "They just hit the person in the leg and it attaches around their leg and they can't pull it off until it sends a float up," Swansen told Business Insider.

Essentially, dolphins be arresting fools underwater XD

Also had no idea the world's largest stockpile of nukes was in my backyard o_O

slider

If anything, that proves them more intelligent than most humans. They'd use Google+. Since no ones using it, the dolphins would have it for themselves.

NSA, get on that shit. It's where they'll hatch their plan. Thanks, Google.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Must suck to be a dolphin when they have to share the earth with a bunch of stupid assholes called the human race. So many of their kind, potentially as smart as us, being hunted and essentially converted to canned tuna. Others dying due to the complete disregard we have for their habitat. Feels really bad. I'm happy to find out that they may be very intelligent, but also a bit sad.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
If dolphins were that smart wouldn't they have done more by now? Obviously I don't know much about what dolphins do but don't they just spend the whole day swimming around and finding food to eat?
People seriously underestimate the advantage opposable thumbs gave to primates.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Wouldn't it also be crazy to think of the types of art/literature produced by dolphins? Like if they had their own version of Shakespeare?

I'm not trying to be funny with that. If they developed language, then literature isn't too far behind, and since they can't write it down, it would likely be performative... like a dolphin play, or whatever their version of it is.

Read this short story by Ursula K. Le Guin.

...It was Professor Duby who, by pointing out the remote affiliation of the script with Low Greylag, made possible the first tentative glossary of Penguin. The analogies with Dolphin which had been employed up to that time never proved very useful, and were often quite misleading.

Indeed it seemed strange that a script written almost entirely in wings, neck, and air should prove the key to the poetry of short-necked, flipper-winged water-writers. But we should not have found it so strange if we had kept in mind that penguins are, despite all evidence to the contrary, birds.

Because their script resembles Dolphin in form, we should never have assumed that is must resemble Dolphin in content. And indeed it does not. There is, of course, the same extraordinary wit, the flashes of crazy humor, the inventiveness, and the inimitable grace. In all the thousands of literatures of the Fish stock, only a few show any humor at all, and that usually of a rather simple, primitive sort; and the superb gracefulness of Shark or Tarpon is utterly different from the joyous vigor of all Cetacean scripts. The joy, the vigor, and the humor are all shared by Penguin authors; and, indeed, by many of the finer Seal auteurs. The temperature of the blood is a bond. But the construction of the brain, and of the womb, makes a barrier! Dolphins do not lay eggs. A world of difference lies in that simple fact....

It's pretty much my favourite.

Walpurgis

Banned
If dolphins really can talk using language, I think we will find that elephants can as well.

My childhood dream of having talking animal friends is only an automated human-animal translator away.

RCSI

Learning to unravel the language Dolphins use may be an important challenge to undertake as we continue to listen for SETI signals. The lessons applied to dolphins may very well help with approaching other communications.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Must suck to be a dolphin when they have to share the earth with a bunch of stupid assholes called the human race. So many of their kind, potentially as smart as us, being hunted and essentially converted to canned tuna. Others dying due to the complete disregard we have for their habitat. Feels really bad. I'm happy to find out that they may be very intelligent, but also a bit sad.

They're not nearly as smart as us mate.

Hanso

I wonder even if we understand the language and decode it, would we be able to talk with them or understand the meaning of the words, not just the words itself. I mean it's a dolphin. Who knows how they think and feel. How do they perceive... everything. I think even if they would speak English it would be hard to have a meaningful communication. The two worlds we live in maybe are just too far apart.

If we can ever speak with them directly, I wonder if they'd be interested in learning about our Lord, Jesus Christ. If a dolphin accepts God into their hearts, will they be allowed into heaven
God can you imagine the scramble to convert as many Dolphins as possible to Christianity or Islam? I want my next priest to be a dolphin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom