• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphins recorded having a conversation, evidence of highly developed spoken language

Status
Not open for further replies.

FStop7

Banned
Dolphin populations off the Australian coast have been observed transferring knowledge both vertically (across generations) and laterally (within the same generation, within and across pods) pertaining to tool use.

I want to be the Bob Vila of dolphins.

rjinaz

latest

Now we just need to learn how to speak the language. Teach me Steve.

X-Frame

rjinaz

Anybody have that neogaf thread where that dude was talking about doing it with a dolphin?

People still do all that shit, and worse.

I would imagine it's similar to people. There can be good and bad dolphins. Dolphins more inclined to be violent and dolphins more inclined to be kind.

You also figure that people are worse with a mob mentality so I would guess it would work the same way with large groups of dolphins.

Branduil

While it may be true that dolphins are a highly advanced and intelligent species, as well as beautiful and athletic, there is no truth the rumors that w-dolphins have already fully mastered the English language, or have built their own underwater computer network that is covertly hacked into the existing internet, allowing the glorious dolphin civilization to corrupt the already weakening human tribes. Ha ha ha human laughter

FZZ

Banned
People still do all that shit, and worse.

I'd rather not have a contest on what does more fucked up shit with dolphins and people fam lmao

lets just say its fucked up that dolphins are more intelligent and do fucked up shit, and more intelligent species including ourselves do more fucked up shit

some fucking weird symbolic meaning behind that

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
I hate these non news science stories. It kinda like duh with some of this stuff. I guess humans being closer to interpreting non human speech is important though.

They probably ploting tbh.

I kinda hate these non news science stories. It kinda like duh with some of this stuff. I guess humans beig closer to interpreting non human speech is important though.

The importance here is that we've traditionally always thought humans are the only ones capable of communication via coherent speech, and that other animals communicated only via instinct, body language, smell and what are essentially just barks/growls etc.

v1lla21

What if "dolphins" are actually Mermaid vehicles and the clicks the "dolphins" make are actually just mermaids using their loudspeakers to talk shit about humans?

What happens when we realize they're smarter than us? All they're missing is opposable thumbs. They figure out how to get those and we are fucked.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
There's a very good chance they have a word for "human". I wonder how much they know about us.

I can't imagine they think anything pleasant of us, on account we slaughter and enslave them. Though maybe some think we're monsters and others think we're like them, or something like that.

❝You can never understand one language until you understand at least two.❞
‒Geoffrey Willans

Nice try, idiots.

Branduil

Let's be honest, though. If there's a dolphin language, and we learn it, one of the first things that will happen is a bunch of weirdo terrorists will try to make a law allowing dolphin/human sex.

I can't imagine they think anything pleasant of us, on account we slaughter and enslave them. Though maybe some think we're monsters and others think we're like them, or something like that.
I can't imagine that the majority of dolphins are aware of the things we do to them.

heyf00L

So what they've done is use 2 microphones to figure out which dolphin is whistling when. The dolphins sometimes take turns whistling, and the whistles differ in frequency so that they might be able to be distinguishable when heard. They then hypothesize that this is a conversation.

That's it. There's no proof. It's just saying they sometimes take turns and make distinguishable sounds.

Until they show something like "This whistle corresponds to food, and this one to sleepiness", it's just an interesting behavior.

sphagnum

Banned
If we can ever speak with them directly, I wonder if they'd be interested in learning about our Lord, Jesus Christ. If a dolphin accepts God into their hearts, will they be allowed into heaven

In all seriousness, I do legitimately wonder if dolphins would be advanced enough to have complex thoughts beyond basic survival, or how they would view their world.

This was no joke my first thought - if dolphins are sentient like humans, will religions have to modify their tenets and claim that God wants to save dolphins from their sins too? I guess Islam has a leg up on Christianity wirh this one since there are already other sentient species in that (Jinns).

BajiBoxer

Banned
If it's that similiar to humans, would dolphinds from different areas speak different languages? Could complicate further study...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom