• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphins recorded having a conversation, evidence of highly developed spoken language

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does this prove sentience?

Philosophically, if dolphins were proven to be as intelligent as humans - or perhaps, a human and a dolphin have a provable conversation - this blows open an incredibly deep moral question about the world around us. Namely, a hugely important question of ownership, and an equally important question about rights.

Q: If a scientist group decodes the language of a dolphin pod and holds a conversation with them, demonstrating human-level sentience, does that grant that dolphin pod, or all dolphins, rights and protections comparable to a human (e.g. we must treat a human killing a dolphin as as bad as a human murdering a human?)?

A: ??????????

I don't think we as a species have the philosophical understanding to even begin to broach that question. It leads straight to arguments that break down modern agriculture, for one...

And the glorious Japanese culture of superiority will still slaughter them en mass.

And the glorious American culture will announce that dolphins are in possesion of WMDs and the US army will procede to invade the corrupt ocean.

--

tl;dr: Was really needed that comment?

DpadD

Banned
So... Dolphins are smarter than humans and didn't start civilization because they realized civilization is a stupid af idea that would only lead to mass pain and suffering and destruction of the earth?

DRXpLFm.gif

came to post this

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Imagine if we could recruit Dolphins to save lives.

Also, y'all fucked up. Remember that researcher who ended up getting sexually assaulted by a Dolphin? Cause she kept getting too close. You form a bond with them and they'll assume you want them to fuck you.

Markoman

I wonder if this thread is somehow related to that terrorist-animal-sex thread?
Vigilant Walrus, would you still pick dolphins now?

besada

Banned
Wouldn't it also be crazy to think of the types of art/literature produced by dolphins? Like if they had their own version of Shakespeare?

I'm not trying to be funny with that. If they developed language, then literature isn't too far behind, and since they can't write it down, it would likely be performative... like a dolphin play, or whatever their version of it is.
Well, they can pass more information with sound than we can. They not only have a much, much wider hearing spectrum (like six or seven times wider than ours), they can also produce a much wider spectrum of sound, including the ability to reshape their sonar envelope using an acoustic lens in their melon. They can also see through sand and skin with their sonar, as well as being able to stun small prey with it, when they fire a tightly focused beam of 220 decibel sound at them.

Well, they can pass more information with sound than we can. They not only have a much, much wider hearing spectrum (like six or seven times wider than ours), they can also produce a much wider spectrum of sound, including the ability to reshape their sonar envelope using an acoustic lens in their melon. They can also see through sand and skin with their sonar, as well as being able to stun small prey with it, when they fire a tightly focused beam of 220 decibel sound at them.

Basically, Whether you like Beethoven or Kanye's beats, they ain't shit to Dolphins. They're on a whole other level in terms of aural experiences.

Morts

Fascinating. I wonder if we'll ever be able to accurately translate it. U don't know anything about the study of languages, how do you even start without a common point of reference (like a Rosetta Stone)? Is it even possible to translate between two languages that don't have a common ancestor?

That aren't even dolphins.

Yes, they are. Orcas are the largest of the dolphins.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killer_whale

Fascinating. I wonder if we'll ever be able to accurately translate it. U don't know anything about the study of languages, how do you even start without a common point of reference (like a Rosetta Stone)? Is it even possible to translate between two languages that don't have a common ancestor?

As a former translator, it's an intriguing possibility to me. Obviously with another human, you can translate even with no common linguistic starting point, because it's fairly easy to communicate the desire to communicate via language. With that common ground, you simply start learning the words that mean things you see, or can pantomime. And you can probably communicate well enough to learn them correctly - ie. if your new friend points at a palm tree and says "xxxx", does that mean "tree" or "palm" or "coconut" or "food"? You can narrow it down with further interaction.

Without a dolphin that understands the desire to communicate, it's so much harder. Even if we can pick out a sound and decide it's a word referring to a fish the dolphin just saw, does it mean any fish, or "halibut", or "food", or "fast", or whatever? Or do they even think similarly enough for those categories to apply? Maybe it meant "small moving object that I detected with sonar but not visually".

It's an interesting challenge. I hope the people working on it get funding.

Griss

It makes me sad to think how if we came across an oceanic planet and there were life forms like dolphins there with evidence of spoken language we'd treat said species with the utmost of respect, but with dolphins we hunt, kill and imprison them as if they were tunafish with no regard for their suffering.

Dolphins should be treated with, minimum, the same respect the western world treats dogs with. We don't hunt or eat dogs. We have dog shelters. We have an emotional bond with dogs. Dolphins deserve at least that much imo.

They also deserve a better NFL team.

_Ryo_

So, does this make that one scientist that masturbated a dolphin more or less in the wrong?

I mean, if dolphins can understand languages, can they consent to interspecies sex?

Is that the dolphins true plan? To seduce everyone and then take over the world?

If dolphins were that smart wouldn't they have done more by now? Obviously I don't know much about what dolphins do but don't they just spend the whole day swimming around and finding food to eat?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Anybody remember seaQuest dsv?

I wanna talk to Darwin, dammit

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
If dolphins were that smart wouldn't they have done more by now? Obviously I don't know much about what dolphins do but don't they just spend the whole day swimming around and finding food to eat?
Perhaps the real smart ones left this planet millions of years ago and these are the ones left behind.

I don't think this form of communication can be equated to language (just because it's sound-based?), which implies culture, that dolphins seems to lack.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

If you're asking why they aren't building cities or whatever, you have to remember that their anatomy isn't great for tool use. Also human civilization is a relatively recent thing in the history of our species. We didn't invent written language and agriculture overnight once we reached a certain level of intelligence.

It makes me sad to think how if we came across an oceanic planet and there were life forms like dolphins there with evidence of spoken language we'd treat said species with the utmost of respect

I hate to tell you this, but I don't think this is a safe assumption.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I wonder what they have to say about the way we treat their species.

Pretty fascinating stuff. I hope we can figure out their language.

Westerners are probably ok when Dolphins become our new overlords, but the Japanese and the Faroe Island citizens are screwed.

Mikeside

If you're asking why they aren't building cities or whatever, you have to remember that their anatomy isn't great for tool use. Also human civilization is a relatively recent thing in the history of our species. We didn't invent written language and agriculture overnight once we reached a certain level of intelligence.

also why is it objectively better to start civilisations & spend thousands of years killing each other, destroying the planet & arguing about how much to tip the delivery guy on the internet any better than chilling out all day, fuckin' and chasing after fish?

The dolphins and the corvids get together to attack us by air and sea, then divide the planet amongst themselves.

One thousand years of peace ensue.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I want a dolphin to be our next president.

Which foes against my tag, I know lol

gutshot

I thought this had been known for a while?

It's been known that they communicate in a general sense, calling each other by name and sending out warnings, etc. But this is the first time scientists have witnessed what looks and sounds like an actual conversation between two dolphins. That implies a much higher language development than originally was thought to be the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom