• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dominic Monaghan hanging out at Naughty Dog...

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Hrmmmm the slopping deck of a ship, the actor is going to be hanging of the the hand rail there. Probably under the arm pit since it's so padded.

Yeah... I was thinking part of Ish's boat.

edit: though I don't recall seeing it in TLoU...

LastNac

As a general rule of thumb when someone posts in extensive detail the problems they have with something, and you try to reduce it in a response to an unfunny single sentence, that means you did not really put much thought into your response and instead chose a kneejerk statement.

Why is your automatic assumption that when people post a negative criticism about Uncharted, it's "screw the people who like cinematic experiences", but when people post POSITIVE criticism about Uncharted, it's not "screw the people who don't like cinematic experiences"?

The double standard is endless and tiresome. If you have objections to the issues being raised, that's one thing. As I said, people can like their cutscene driven, skill-less enterprises or their QTE fests or whatever other things that frequently get criticisms, and that's perfectly OK. But what is worthy of rejection is the attitude that those with a negative criticism - no matter how extensively detailed - are saying something inherently objectionable or outrageous, and that there is some need to paint these individuals as in some way "other" or weird.

These criticisms are real and well established, they go to the heart of what it means to be a game, and it's perfectly legitimate to desire one type of Naughty Dog project over another. So, put some effort into your response next time. The discussion will thank you for it.

Just to take a break from your gushing over Uncharted that didn't in any way address the problems people had with the cinematic gameplay of Uncharted, this is the problem with your whole approach to the discussion in a nutshell. You can't conceive of why people feel just as strongly as you do in the opposite that this is a real problem with game design today, so you have to invent generalizations and try to group people into categories to try to convince yourself why that is.

And to prove it: Here's my thread where I discuss and describe why indies are amazing, great for the industry and continue to be one of the primary reasons I intend to get a PS4. It's a thread I made, about indies. Because I love them so much. And yet, I still have a huge problem with Uncharted and its direction in the industry. I can guarantee you I can find you more people like that. Oh well, maybe you have another category you'd like to try to group people in to explain why they might not like Uncharted?
If you dont like Uncharted or the "cinematic experience", that's fine but regarding it as some type of blight on the medium is ridiculous and makes you look very close minded. That design approach might be strawberry flavored to you, you might not like strawberry but that certainly doesn't make it a disgusting flavor.

Also, you apparently didn't read my post. I "gush" over the third installment largely because it abstains from using a cutscene when it can offer gameplay instead. That's the entirety off my point and the reason I am so passionate about this design approach, it finds a way to mechanically keep you involved more consistently than what the majority of titles today and yesterday offered. I am very tired of watching my stories and playing just combat. I want substance, I want context, I want awe, I want to feel involved. ND's last three titles (very much UC3 and strongly in TLoU) have given me moments of significance that feel more powerful due to their interactivity. I can assure you, if TLoU's ending had stayed a cutscene it would not have been1/10 as impactful as it is now in its gameplay form.

No, what I want is more interactivity, not more cutscenes. The term "cinematic" is becoming an adjective and is ceasing to exist as a noun. Hallelujah for that. The alternative for a passive cutscene are set pieces, I absolutely adore those.

Frankly I feel your problem is that you're looking at this through very old and tinted glasses. Relax the elitism and stop pretending this medium's only worth is the difficulty it can offer. That is my biggest problem with your message because frankly you don't know what the hell you are talking about when you talk about "what it means to be a game." Its not the mid 90's anymore and "game" as a term is outdated. It applies objectivity and challenge. I'm sorry, but where is the challenge Journey? You cant fail nor die yet its still one hell of an experience. How does that fit within your little definition of "what it means to be a game." Sure, what's coming might not fit within your outdated description and might not be a "game" in your eyes but its still a worthy experience to me and a lot of people.

Also, "skill-less?" Self justification much? Dont talk to me about skill with a controller as it doesn't validate you or the experience as being noteworthy. Its not a grade school playground yet you use some fairly adolescent points. I don't need to have to pull of headshots to enjoy sand suffering in Journey. I am nowhere near pretentious enough to think the experience is only as enjoyable or significant as the challenge. My favorite titles as of late have largely just had me along for the ride.

The 80's and arcades of old are gone and no one is going to high five anyone anymore for getting the high score in Galaga. You might be satisfied only when tried and tested. I'm not. You know what really satisfies me? Petting giraffes. I agree with Arnie, dying does suck when the context is more important than the challenge.
More "cinematic experiences" are on the way but don't worry, the other stuff is going to be here too. You're not an endangered species so cut out the mellow drama

By the way, nuts or no, come at me bro.

So there you go. The Last of Us team is looking at two options for their next game...a TLoU sequel, or a new IP.

Obviously they're not even close to production so anything could happen, but given their pedigree I'd be surprised if Sony tries to push them one way or another...

1370866599-savage-starligh-poster.jpg

:)

I do find it strange when people continuously ask Naughty Dog for a new IP when they just released one a few months back. It seems folk are quick to forget.

mindsale

This could very well all be misdirection. The Uncharted series - minor spoilers to follow -
wraps up so tidily, both beginning an ending with the primary trio getting onto a waterplane. If we're getting another Uncharted, it'll almost certainly be more narratively self-contained, and I'd bet good money that Nathan Drake doesn't get out of the next train dangling off a precipice with a gunshot wound he wakes up in.

wizzbang

Banned
I pondered this reply for about 30 seconds but nope, I'm in - new Uncharted, fucking great - I'm in.
I don't care if it's PS3 or PS4 - I don't expect the PS4 one to beat the PS3 ones - as long as it's "uncharted-enough" I'm in - I fucking love em. Best Indiana Jones movies I've ever played!

The only thing is I'm NOT losing my mind over it, like,.. ok cool I guess? I'll buy it for sure but I'm not busting a load here.
At least it's not God of War 4 news,... I mean I love GoW but fuck does that franchise need a rest.

velociraptor

I pondered this reply for about 30 seconds but nope, I'm in - new Uncharted, fucking great - I'm in.
I don't care if it's PS3 or PS4 - I don't expect the PS4 one to beat the PS3 ones - as long as it's "uncharted-enough" I'm in - I fucking love em. Best Indiana Jones movies I've ever played!

The only thing is I'm NOT losing my mind over it, like,.. ok cool I guess? I'll buy it for sure but I'm not busting a load here.
At least it's not God of War 4 news,... I mean I love GoW but fuck does that franchise need a rest.
God Of War only needs a rest if they're going to stick with Kratos and the Greek Mythology. However, if it's an all new arc and character? Count me the hell in.

Yes, it's linear. Yes, it's scripted. But I've had more fun with the God of War games than I've had with any RPG game. I'm playing Witcher 2 at the moment and it's such a massive chore to finish the game. I'm barely on Act 1 and I'm not sure how I'm going to finish it.

Globox_82

Banned
I can't even begin to fathom how good Uncharted 4 will look on the PS4.

Yeah but see, Uncharted 3 is four Metacritic points lower than Uncharted 2, which means the series is following a downward trajectory and isn't worth ND's time anymore. It's best they jump that sinking ship.

it was more of the same, two years later, of course it won't review as well DUH.

Uncharted is not going anywhere. With each game it sold better and better. It is second biggest IP sony has. YOU WILL see Uncharted 4 on PS4.

it was more of the same, two years later, of course it won't review as well DUH.

Uncharted is not going anywhere. With each game it sold better and better. It is second biggest IP sony has. YOU WILL see Uncharted 4 on PS4.

I was being sarcastic. I don't know how I could have laid it on any thicker. Rest assured, I'm very excited at the prospect of Naughty Dog making Uncharted 4 for the PS4. I think if they take it in a more open-linear direction a la TLoU, but keep the production values sky high, then they're on to a real winner.

Meaty

I know I shouldn't be necro-ing this, but since we just had some more uncharted info come out recently, I just want to know if anyone has any news about Dominic?

I was very excited about him being in Uncharted 4, maybe when Amy left so did he?

Im legit confused, anyone has more information?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I know I shouldn't be necro-ing this, but since we just had some more uncharted info come out recently, I just want to know if anyone has any news about Dominic?

I was very excited about him being in Uncharted 4, maybe when Amy left so did he?

Im legit confused, anyone has more information?
Haven't heard anything about it since the initial tweet.

Top Bottom