• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don Mattrick: "Fortunately" consumers without a connection can buy Xbox 360

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mattrick's right, you never truly realize how much use you have for something until you've already spent money on it. I think if everyone just bought the Xbone they'd realize how much they actually want it.

Jesus, do they listen to themselves?

DJwest

nr9fZ9r.png
lmao

I don't have much faith in the average consumer. Like Dreams-Visions said, the Xbox One is going to sell like hotcakes simply because people own the 360 and will simply upgrade to the next iteration without thinking.

I used to think that. A few months ago I would have said that MSFT had this upcoming gen in the bag, EVERYTHING was in their favor. But they have completely dropped the ball. That 100 dollar price advantage for Sony is likely to be more important then anything else.

Kinect ended up being as bad as many gaffers always thought it was going to be. It's completely ruined the xbox brand. Things would be very different if Microsoft never chased that direction.

Don Mattrick doesn't seem to have the "Oh God I'm saying something really stupid I need to shut up RIGHT NOW before I make it worse" warning inside his head that most people have.

I've always felt like he was a dipshit. I remember when he replaced Peter Moore. At that first E3 with him as the new figurehead, one of the first things he did was push back the Bungie reveal of ODST and THEN spoiled that it was in fact a Halo game before they had a chance to reveal it themselves. They had months of build-up, only to have the reveal at E3 cancelled, and for Mattrick to casually talk about how exciting it was to have another Halo game in an interview a few hours later.

It's sad that this console will still sell enough for them to feel justified in their decisions. Don't get me wrong I hope it doesn't just for the sake of the consumer I just have some bad feels about it. Most of these feels come from ignorant people I know defending it and some really asinine comments I have seen on Facebook(lol) and all of the people liking the comment.

Here is one I think most of you will enjoy, I know I did.

FB user I know:"They preach that same stuff every year about all the consoles. Got to see it happen before I can believe it. Same goes for X1, a lot of stuff was preached about the 360 that didn't happen as well as the PS3. Also, most of the PS4 features are not for gamers, nor was the PS4 built for gamers, it was built to beat Microsoft. On paper right now they have succeeded, but when it comes down to the actual experience/gameplay? we'll have to wait and see."

I highlighted the fun part.

casnix

Fortunately Sony has a console with better specs, no DRM, $100 cheaper, etc... I think I'll buy that instead.

It shows a stunning amount of ignorance that it took a fucking blog post for this douche to realize, "Oh shit, this may be a problem for military people."

MogCakes

It's sad that this console will still sell enough for them to feel justified in their decisions. Don't get me wrong I hope it doesn't just for the sake of the consumer I just have some bad feels about it. Most of these feels come from ignorant people I know defending it and some really asinine comments I have seen on Facebook(lol) and all of the people liking the comment.

FB user I know:"They preach that same stuff every year about all the consoles. Got to see it happen before I can believe it. Same goes for X1, a lot of stuff was preached about the 360 that didn't happen as well as the PS3. Also, most of the PS4 features are not for gamers, nor was the PS4 built for gamers, it was built to beat Microsoft. On paper right now they have succeeded, but when it comes down to the actual experience/gameplay? we'll have to wait and see."

Wow. That dude is salty as hell. Hahahaha

I love Don Mattrick. That fucker is the gift that keeps on giving. I've never seen anyone fuck up so spectacularly except for possibly Krazy Ken and even that is debatable.

Fi Fo Nye

Banned
Xbox 360 is definitely the console of its generation, putting it in the rare company of SNES, PS1, and PS2, so consumers without a connection truly are fortunate that they can buy an Xbox 360.

If the price can get down to $99, I'll buy the redesign and live off of sniped eBay auctions for discs that haven't rotted out with scratches all over yet.

ALN1031

Xbox 360 is definitely the console of its generation, putting it in the rare company of SNES, PS1, and PS2, so consumers without a connection truly are fortunate that they can buy an Xbox 360.

If the price can get down to $99, I'll buy the redesign and live off of sniped eBay auctions for discs that haven't rotted out with scratches all over yet.

Umm... hardly. It's pretty much even with PS3 and PS3 sales are supposedly larger on a per week basis now. In the US and UK, yeah, it's the console. Pretty much everywhere else is Sonyland.

HTupolev

Heh, I think they're doing the best they can with the shit they're dealt. You can only polish a turd so far.
When you're trying to sell an Xbone, "I don't even know what it MEANS to be on a nuclear sub" and "fortunately consumers without a connection can buy Xbox 360" is the best you can do?

I'm not convinced.

Someone inform Darth Mattrick that 360 is a current gen system, if someone wants next-gen so they should get a...360?

Geoff really had him there lol

You know, I line the Xbox One. I think it's a pretty cool console despite a few issues. But I hate Don Mattrick. I always have, and he isn't making me like him any more.

You will have people online defending it, you always will.

But when customers go in to buy the product, and there's the xbox one sitting next to the PS4, even big fans of the 360 are going to be nervous choosing the one that's $100 more expensive, has mandatory online connection, that spy camera they keep hearing about, and won't let you trade in games.

lol. my friend is a pretty laid back gamer. Likes shooters and sports, after the 1st xbox conference he said he would probably get an Xbone, even after i told him all the drm rumors. But he said he would wait until E3 to decide.

2 weeks later, he posts on facebook "I think Sony sold me on a PS4", I didn't even have to tell him anything. lol good job Jack!

freddy

Banned
The different stance Geoff Keighley took here and with Reggie is what stood out to me. Is the Game Trailers Xbox app that important?

WolvenOne

Really, REALLY, tone deaf statement.

Besides, he's failing to take into consideration, far more likely scenario's. For example, I known many people whom, upon hitting hard times, had to cancel internet service for several months. That can be pretty expensive after all, I myself pay ninety dollars a month for service. I can see several people buying the X-Bone, only to lose the ability to even play the system a year later, JUST, because they fell on hard times.

That, is the sort of thing I worry about with mandatory online checks. That's just one scenario among many that'd force people to give up their internet for a time. People shouldn't be punished just for falling into hard times however, or traveling, or suddenly finding that they have to work over seas.

Brushing all these people and concerns aside, and telling them to just buy a 360, is almost astoundingly insensitive.

televator

Mattrick: "Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity, it's called xbox 360"

Now I'm not the biggest fan of MS but even this got this reaction from me:
texas-oh-my-god-o.gif

Microsoft, WTF are you doing? I-I think they've gone insane....

EGM1966

Well I did get a second job for Sony so I see his point.

Actually wait I didn't - Fuck off buddy!

It's like an alternative time track with MS taking the Sony role - right down to arrogant market annoying quotes.

Refills Popcorn.

Fi Fo Nye

Banned
Umm... hardly. It's pretty much even with PS3 and PS3 sales are supposedly larger on a per week basis now. In the US and UK, yeah, it's the console. Pretty much everywhere else is Sonyland.

While you're busy waxing poetic on sales, Xbox 360 has had the far greater breadth of exclusives and superior versions of multiplayer games, so... at least from a gaming perspective (as opposed to an accountant's), X360 is that system if you want to play Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, Bastion, and God knows what else.

Only thing PS3 has had over X360 is Uncharted 2, and the superior version of Portal 2. Kudos to the Visceral team for making Dead Space run pretty damn good on PS3 too, though. And also, I heard the port of Metro: Last Light is pretty spiffy too, but who really cares anymore... we're all just ready for the PS4 to be the new X360 of the next generation.

Zukuu

Banned
While you're busy waxing poetic on sales, Xbox 360 has had the far greater breadth of exclusives and superior versions of multiplayer games, so... at least from a gaming perspective (as opposed to an accountant's), X360 is that system if you want to play Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, Bastion, and God knows what else.

Only thing PS3 has had over X360 is Uncharted 2, and the superior version of Portal 2. Kudos to the Visceral team for making Dead Space run pretty damn good on PS3 too, though. And also, I heard the port of Metro: Last Light is pretty spiffy too, but who really cares anymore... we're all just ready for the PS4 to be the new X360 of the next generation.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Krilekk

Banned
You will have people online defending it, you always will.

But when customers go in to buy the product, and there's the xbox one sitting next to the PS4, even big fans of the 360 are going to be nervous choosing the one that's $100 more expensive, has mandatory online connection, that spy camera they keep hearing about, and won't let you trade in games.

I'm one of those. I spent roughly $1500 on retail games and about the same for digital content on Live. I have been a Live Gold subscriber on and off for about four years. I have bought three 360s and I played almost exclusively on that platform (my gamerscore is telling). After watching the MS PC I liked some of those games but most of it was multiplatform stuff. Battlefield 4, Need for Speed, maybe Wolfenstein. I kept the X1 on preorder, just because they might still change pricing and the ridiculous requirements. After watching Sonys PC I went straight ahead and preordered it. Twice at different retailers. I'm gonna buy the cheaper system which let's me use my content the way I like and is more powerful, much smaller and offers much more value in every aspect for the money. Microsoft took one month to destroy everything they've built in 12 years, I was there day 1 for the original Xbox at the ridiculous price point of 479 €, I stayed with the platform even though the console died a week after that and I had to wait three weeks for a replacement. I was there day 1 for 360, I lived through three RRODs and one disk drive failure, hell I even gave you the benefit of the doubt after the reveal three weeks ago. But seeing you don't care about me and my wishes as a gamer I can only say one final thing: Bye, Microsoft. Xbox made you cool. So cool I even bought Windows 8 and a Windows Phone. I thought about the Surface. But you screw things up. You're back to your despiteful arrogant self of the 90s and you will only learn the hard way, by ignoring X1. I'll take my $3000 to Sony next gen.

B.O.O.M

is this a parody?

Jinko

Mattrick: "Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity, it's called xbox 360"

Oh yea and I wonder how consumers who didn't realise that Xbones is an always online console will react after the purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom