• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don Mattrick: "If you're backwards compatible, you're really backwards"

Retro

Well, he's right. Why would you want to play Call of Duty, Killzone, Madden and Battlefield on old consoles once the new editions are out?

This may be a joke post, so I apologize for taking it seriously, but... not every game gets yearly re-releases.

depths20XX

What sucks though is that MS, as well as other companies, are making more difficult to keep old consoles to play older games. At some point in the coming years you won't be able to access the DLC you paid for on the 360. I assume next gen after x1 you won't be able to access any game, wether you still have the "shiny disk" or not.

It is pretty sad that these new consoles will essentially be unusable bricks in years to come. What happens when Live gets shutdown or the authentication servers are done with? You're left with a big paperweight and a bunch of games you'll never play again.

I never owned a 360...pretty much because I'm not completely rich and the PS3/Wii combo worked well enough for me. I might have gotten the Bone if it would have let me play the Banjo-Kazooie remakes I've been dying to try but eff that now.

*Plays Super Mario Galaxy 2 on Wii U*

I agree with them on this. Backward compatibility is often requested but rarely used. If you want backwards compatibility just keep your current xbox 360.
It includes all your digital content not being supported though.

Going to have to rebuy Street Fighter 2 for the 5th time and such.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
no system before the PS2 ever had backwards compatibility did it? was it an issue before then?
There's a world of difference between physical media (especially cartridges which are incredibly durable) and download games and/or games that require you to connect to some server that will not be available forever to activate them.

It is pretty sad that these new consoles will essentially be unusable bricks in years to come. What happens when Live gets shutdown or the authentication servers are done with? You're left with a big paperweight and a bunch of games you'll never be able to play again.
I think the lack of choice if you can play them again or not (i.e., there won't be one) is the worst part of it all.

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
Misplaced specs\power and no backwards compatibility means I will NOT be purchasing.........sad indeed I wonder how long my 360 will keep on functioning?!?!?

Cake Boss

Banned
Doesnt seem as backwards as designing a TVbox console where everything seems to be going towards Netflix, Hulu, Youtube and Internet TV.

megamerican

I love that they devote their conference to CABLE TV and INTERNET EXPLORER and have the balls to call to something backwards.

krumble

With physical games? Maybe. With digital content? You're crazy. BC is highly important for a digital ecosystem.

THIS!!!

With a digital library I expect to be able to use it in the future on my chosen platforms new box...

Can you imagine if apple hadnt embraced this since the beginning of iTunes and iOS?
I know MANY people with iPhones that will only consider iPhones due to the investment in a large digital library of content

Vormund

Summary?

So basically Sony said: It was a hard decision, but a necessary evil to make devs happy going forward.

MS: Fuck you, stop looking backwards.

What the fuck. So you're telling me I can never play Braid again unless I hook up my old 360?
Seriously thinking about building a gaming PC.
2013 will be covered by my 360/PS3 backlog, so I'll give Sony somewhere around a year to convince me. Microsoft and Nintendo are dead to me (although I might buy a 3DS).

Maxrunner

Love you too, MS.

Here let me fix it for you:

images

El-Suave

Some Adam Orth style trolling from Mattrick.
Had an employee tweeted that phrase in the weeks leading up to the reveal, he would have been fired.

Poona

THIS!!!

With a digital library I expect to be able to use it in the future on my chosen platforms new box...

Can you imagine if apple hadnt embraced this since the beginning of iTunes and iOS?
I know MANY people with iPhones that will only consider iPhones due to the investment in a large digital library of content

Yep, I only got an iPhone as I had quite library of content already purchased on my iPod touch and ipad, that I wanted to carry over. BC helps to get you tied into that system. If its not there, there's no reason to continue to purchase products from that company as it is like you're investing in a totally new platform.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
They need some better people to talk to press.

I mean I understand why BC isn't there, it's new architecture and they don't feel that using their money towards making 360 games work on it is worth it.

But I mean ... that last line. "If you're backwards compatible, you're really backwards". This reminds me so much of the stupid shit Sony used to say before the PS3 was launched. Like how rumble wasn't in the sixaxis because it's a last gen feature.

Parallacs

"They call it the XBox One because when you see it, you turn one degree and walk away."

Sure to become a WoW troll comment in /general.

pr0cs

his comments just reaffirms that I won't be buying any digital content on the next machine.

Neither MS nor Sony supporting BC and all the hundreds of dollars I've spent on their online stores is totally unforgivable and the lack of BC ensures I won't be buying either machine at launch.

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
Don Mattrick you are backwards if you think I will buy your carper new system. After the 360 is dead you will not be get my money anymore. I am jumping out.

Tabris

Man this is short sighted. The issue with taking a poll on people playing old games is they assume there will be new games to play.

The truth is it takes a while for enough games to come out to justify a new console purchase, but if you have BC, you can get those hardware purchases while they play games still coming out on 360. Instead of having them wait, and then potentially choose another system instead of yours.

They really need to think of install base for that first year. Get as many consoles into living rooms as possible and BC helps that.

Just look at PS2 for a perfect example where BC helped it after launch and for the first year (really before GT3 came out).

EDIT - Also you lose out on a huge list of potential software sales for those people who trade in their 360 for an XBOne. All of those digital games available to the 360 owners will now have a much lower base to sell to.

KageMaru

I hate the guy but he has a point. To have BC, something else has to suffer, which is why I've never really cared about the feature.

However the same could be said for including Kinect every system so...

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
You have to buy a new version of the White Album though, you can't put the vinyl in your CD player.

Ah, but I still can buy a new version of the White Album, with the full functionality of the original. In the case of records, I can also easily buy a brand new record player. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if I could buy a brand new Laser Disc player easier than I could buy a brand new Dreamcast or SNES. That's all I was trying to point out, I'm aware it wasn't as effective as I'd hoped.

Tabris

I hate the guy but he has a point. To have BC, something else has to suffer, which is why I've never really cared about the feature.

What has to suffer? This is an era where you don't need to do hardware BC. Create an emulator.

EDIT - Don't get me started on Sony for PS3 / PS2 BC. They actually have an emulator done but won't release it because they want you to buy digital titles (which I would be fine with if they had their entire library up there).

I "Kinda" agree with him. Look at what nintendo did with the wii u. A Borked solution for CPU, simply to get the Backward compatibility working.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Yep, I only got an iPhone as I had quite library of content already purchased on my iPod touch and ipad, that I wanted to carry over. BC helps to get you tied into that system. If its not there, there's no reason to continue to purchase products from that company as it is like you're investing in a totally new platform.

I already feel comfortable ignoring the Xbox One in favor of a PS4, for example.

Plus, how many people are really taking into account this past generation has been 8 years long? When thinking of "old games" are a lot of folks talking about their childhood and games barely remembered?

I honestly wonder what happens when push comes to shove and contemporary buyers must make a purchasing decision between an XBO, a PS4, or just going PC. Will brand loyalty be that strong when there's no continuity of content or investment?

Of course, in the eyes of modern game publishers like EA, it's all about yearly franchise updates and pushing ever-more for games as a service. In the view of many in the industry, it seems the ideal set-top living room box would just plain be something where nobody buys or owns games, and you just pay a rental fee that's ongoing. The box gets swapped out regularly as an upgrade, and that's how you lock your audience in.

If they've cultivated a gaming audience that is really just happy with that, more power to them I guess.

Knoxcore

While I don't give a crap about backwards compatibility (my belief is you're getting a new console for new games, not to play the same old games), attacking the consumer is not the right way to go.

IHaveIce

Banned
Eehh Halo 2 was one of the most played games on XBL still after the 360 release.

They experienced already how good BC is, but say it would be backwards... alright

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Like Stump has already said, I wouldn't argue that BC has been historically very important but I do think it's increasingly important moving forward. As each generation of hardware increases processing power, a larger percentage of games is likely to not even need more than a fraction of that full power to achieve all their goals and we see that with the advent of "Arcade" and many of the Indie releases on these platforms. A homogenous "all or nothing" approach to BC seems to be increasingly tone deaf to the realities of technology trends.

Liberating games from physical media also begins to put them on the same path we've seen music, movies, books, etc. head down - where the content ultimately become independent of hardware. Certainly this has been the way of it on PC for decades, but other platforms are on the rise and starting to further establish this precedent. Consoles are starting to look more like the holdouts rather than the trendsetters.

Which is why it's so disheartening to see Sony and MS drop it entirely heading into this gen, when they've had the longest generational gap so far in order to properly ready themselves for this.

I honestly don't give a shit that its not BC with my retail games. Buying DD games only to have them not move forward is exactly why Apple and Google will destroy this industry at some point. I can guarantee that the apps I bought in my Android ecosystem will still work with the phone I have a few years from now. This is why MS's battle for the living room is beyond pathetic because they have no ecosystem. Its just one big farce to act like you have the ultimate entertainment device that will be thrown to the side in 5 years.

Tabris

Where are the emulators for PS3 and X360 games on PCs?

It's not just as simple as "create an emulator".

Well first of all, there's a difference between engineering an emulator and reverse engineering a console programming / hardware stack to create an emulator.

Second of all, of course it would require development resources but I'm saying that even if BC affects 10% of the userbase, I would assume that development would be justified with the 10%. Especially if they lose that 10%.

Top Bottom