• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donald Trump wants to visit the Temple Mount/Haram

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The cognitive dissonance of hating a prejudiced person but also being totally cool with blocking non-your people from entry is amazing.

Prejudice gymnastics.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The cognitive dissonance of hating a prejudiced person but also being totally cool with blocking non-your people from entry is amazing.

Prejudice gymnastics.

Honestly, I'm not too bothered with not allowing non-muslims into Mecca. It's literally their holiest city and every single one of them is expected to make a pilgrimage there at some point in their lives. It's not a tourist trap. If Christians, Jews, Buddhists or anyone else had a similar rule I wouldn't give a shit.

Honestly, I'm not too bothered with not allowing non-muslims into Mecca. It's literally their holiest city and every single one of them is expected to make a pilgrimage there at some point in their lives. It's not a tourist trap. If Christians, Jews, Buddhists or anyone else had a similar rule I wouldn't give a shit.

So you aren't bothered with Trump trying to make America non-Muslim?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Mecca is turning into a "tourist trap". Have you seen some of the developments there lately?

Fusebox

Banned

My reasoned take on this is, "I didn't even wanna go to your stupid rock anyway so nyah..."

Mecca is turning into a "tourist trap". Have you seen some of the developments there lately?

lol every decade the city gets a facelift
CVNKMbTWIAAWOId.jpg:large
95.jpg
it is also a crowd/logistical nightmare due to visitors... so yeah it likely is a super tourist spot hence why the term "Mecca" is now used as a term for any prime destination

Prejudice gymnastics.

Banning people from entering a religious site is vastly different and justifiable from banning them from entering a country.

Chichikov

It's also the 1st holiest site for Jews. Not that that has anything to do with Trump.
Most orthodox believe that it's a pretty serious sin to go to the temple mount at this point in time (for complicated, boring reasons).
How do they prove you aren't Muslim?
Israel tracks that stuff and list it in the national ID card. Well, sort of, they removed it a couple of years ago (not for the right reasons mind you) but you can still know from the ID card if someone is Jewish.

Mecca is like the ultimate tourist trap.

Plenty of non-Christians have gone to Christianity's holiest sites without violence. Even Anthony Bourdain peacefully ate at a Waffle House.

How the hell did Donald Trump take over our beloved forum it's like one thread after the other.
I already stopped using Twitter and Facebook because Trump has taken over those sites and now Off-Topic Gaf is flooded with Trump threads on the daily bases, almost everything he says or does gets its own thread. Can we just get a Trump OT?

Israel tracks that stuff and list it in the national ID card. Well, sort of, they removed it a couple of years ago (not for the right reasons mind you) but you can still know from the ID card if someone is Jewish.

I believe its pretty much they just ban outright displays like wearing religious clothing or overtly praying.

Mrmartel

Banned
I can't remember Gaf more obsessed over anyone else than Trump. Goes to show why he gets so much free publicity IRL. Off topic is going to be Trump 24/7. Has anyone thought to contain everything in one thread? It was done when the ISIS threads clogged up the board.

Chichikov

I believe its pretty much they just ban outright displays like wearing religious clothing or overtly praying.
They limited the entrance of Jews to the temple mound after the 2nd intifada, not 100% certain what the exact status right now, I was just commenting on how Israel can enforce such policies (which it does in other areas as well).
The ban on prayer there is different and is enforced by the waqf.

"Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu rejected The Donald’s anti-Muslim rhetoric" as he shows The Donald how they deal with Muslims.

It's called Umrah-tourism or Hajj-tourism. You're not going to find any attraction in Mecca other than people coming to the mosque to pray and perform rituals. Maybe they will stay in that clock tower and buy food and trinkets. That's it. There's no Disney Land there for Florida moms.

Hexa

It's called Umrah-tourism or Hajj-tourism. You're not going to find any attraction in Mecca other than people coming to the mosque to pray and perform rituals. Maybe they will stay in that clock tower and buy food and trinkets. That's it. There's no Disney Land there for Florida moms.

Which is exactly why they need Trump.

D i Z

I don't think he would make it in and out alive. But then again, extremists really would love for him to get into office. Dude is all the propaganda and recruitment material that anyone could ever ask for.

Arkeband

Banned
I would bet Trump's net worth that he never actually intended to visit this place, but relied on incendiary rebuttals to show to his base to go "see how violent they are?! I was right!!!"

I would bet Trump's net worth that he never actually intended to visit this place, but relied on incendiary rebuttals to show to his base to go "see how violent they are?! I was right!!!"

Yes. He seems to pushing all the buttons. Think about it. It's like one massive PR campaign. The media all over the world is completely hooked. I've not heard about the policies of the other candidates for over a month now, just because it's trump, trump, trump. Everywhere, and every day.

The best hope against Trump is that he becomes so egregious that many voters who don't vote will vote against him just to not see him win.
America did elect George W. Bush.. Twice. It really wouldn't surprise me. Many people vote for the guy they see the most on TV. It's sad, but the way we engage in politics is in soundbytes. That's why it actually works when his only explanation to things is "We'll just do it". "we'll just get it done". When you surf between the channels at home and every time the news come on, it's just Trump brainwashing you into thinking he will get it done, make america great.. That's it. Similiar tactics have worked for many presidential governments in many countries. You appeal to peoples emotions instead of reason and logic.

daniels

Yep i am sure a visit like this will convince people that trump is not crazy.....
"Non Muslims aren't even allowed", “Such a visit will set the whole region on fire,” yep such a response will also convince people that Islam is indeed peaceful.

fertygo

Yep i am sure a visit like this will convince people that trump is not crazy.....
"Non Muslims aren't even allowed", “Such a visit will set the whole region on fire,” yep such a response will also convince people that Islam is indeed peaceful.

All according to keikaku.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom