• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donald Trump wants to visit the Temple Mount/Haram

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumeira

Banned
I read Netenyahu told him to GTFO with his comments about Muslims, which did surprise me. Hes no friend of Israel apparently.

As Donald Trump is a billionaire with a shot at becoming President of the United States, I greet every statement he makes as if it had been focus tested and shown to be helpful for Trump. I'm sure this latest statement will help Trump.

This would be a great opportunity for Muslims to show what a tolerant and peaceful religion Islam really is instead of reinforcing Islamophobic stereotypes.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
This would be a great opportunity for Muslims to show what a tolerant and peaceful religion Islam really is instead of reinforcing Islamophobic stereotypes.

So what you're saying is, if Muslims do not want him to enter their holy site because of his blatantly offensive comments about them, they are "reinforcing Islamophobic stereotypes"? That it would be their "fault" if they reject his entry?

What he said about Muslims was incredibly unacceptable. Muslims don't have to play nice with him just to show that they are the better people.

Condom

What? Muslims can't do self defense now because else people believe the stereotypes? Seems like the problem is with those people and not the Muslims.

You get humiliated by both terrorists and racists and as a cherry on the cake you have to allow those dipshits on one of your holiests site because what about the stereotypes.

Sinfamy

So what you're saying is, if Muslims do not want him to enter their holy site because of his blatantly offensive comments about them, they are "reinforcing Islamophobic stereotypes"? That it would be their "fault" if they reject his entry?

What he said about Muslims was incredibly unacceptable. Muslims don't have to play nice with him just to show that they are the better people.
Yes.
Have you heard the bigoted, homophobic and misogynistic things some Muslims say, especially in SA?
Would be nice to see some tolerance, especially when its inconvenient, especially as an ally of the US.

To those saying that this is triggering violence, you're the one who is imposing bigoted stereotypes, you're the ones saying that "of course they will react violently".

Malfunky

Yes.
Have you heard the bigoted, homophobic and misogynistic things some Muslims say, especially in SA?
Would be nice to see some tolerance, especially when its inconvent, especially as an ally of the US.

"muslims" are not a monolithic, unified entity. they're as varied as anything from "christians", to "white people", to "asians". plus, saudi arabia and israel/the palestinian territories host entirely different cultures. one is a wealthy world power, the other is essentially an apartheid state.

western culture is full of homophobia and misogyny. let's use the american south, for example. say it's full of misogynists and homophobes. would you ask, say, new yorkers to apologize for them?

Sinfamy

"muslims" are not a monolithic, unified entity. they're as varied as anything from "christians", to "white people", to "asians". plus, saudi arabia and israel/the palestinian territories host entirely different cultures. one is a wealthy world power, the other is essentially an apartheid state.

western culture is full of homophobia and misogyny. let's use the american south, for example. say it's full of misogynists and homophobes. would you ask, say, new yorkers to apologize for them?
I said "some", I didn't ask anyone to apologize, nor should they.
The comparison to westen society is irrelevant, there are mosques throughout it, and despite a loud percentage of true bigots and racists, Muslims can travel anywhere despite any beliefs they may hold which contradict with westen views.
Keep the talking points coming though.

Malfunky

I said "some", I didn't ask anyone to apologize.

right, and yet you draw a correlation between a situation in israel/palestine and saudi arabia. what does saudi arabia have to do with any of this? you're generalizing, explicitly. unfairly. don't hide behind the farcical cordiality of your clumsy words. or do you not even understand what you're saying?

what does this talking points thing even mean? you're using reactionary talking points. we all use talking points. that's how you begin a conversation.

The comparison to westen society is irrelevant, there are mosques throughout it, and despite a loud percentage of true bigots and racists, Muslims can travel anywhere.

right. it's as irrelevant as bringing up saudi arabia in a thread about palestine.

Are you condoning violence?

Cromat

Zero chances of this being allowed, but epic level of trolling coming from this guy.

Netanyahu criticized what Trump said about Muslims and I won't be surprised if he hates Trump for ruining his beloved Republican Party.

"Rejecting entry" is far from condoning violence, don't you think? People are allowed to be barred by communities for hate speech. Donald Trump included.

Well that's what I wanted to clarify. The quote in the story was this:

“Such a visit will set the whole region on fire,” said Abu Arrar, a member of the Arab-dominated Joint List political alliance. “I am warning.”

My point is it shouldn't. Trump's proposal is meant to elicit a reaction, he hopes that Muslims will go crazy and turn violent thus reinforcing the stereotype he wishes to push. Already it seems some people are trying to justify violence with claims of self defence.

Downhome

Just got an AP alert stating that Trump has postponed his trip to Israel, and I assume all of that area, stating he will visit it instead when he "becomes president".

EDIT:

Here it is from his Twitter...

@realDonaldTrump: I have decided to postpone my trip to Israel and to schedule my meeting with @Netanyahu at a later date after I become President of the U.S.

Mimosa97

Just got an AP alert stating that Trump has postponed his trip to Israel, and I assume all of that area, stating he will visit it instead when he "becomes president".

EDIT:

Here it is from his Twitter...

He didn't decide shit. Netanyahu probably told him to GTFO and that it would be best for him to just give up so that he can keep what's left of his honor safe.

This is something both the US government and Israel government should team up and actively prevent using whatever means. What a shitstorm this would cause in the region following Trump's remarks.

His speeches have been inciting violence throughout the country. Bring him up on charges of inciting violence.

d00d3n

*snip*
This will 100% get people killed.

There is already violence, attacks and conflict over the area ongoing in Israel and the Occupied Territories. And the 15 years ago when another politician visited we got the second intifada with 1000+ Israelis killed and 3000+ Palestinians

Well, as much as I disagree with Trump, any killings would not really be his fault.

Usobuko

Banned
I said "some", I didn't ask anyone to apologize, nor should they.
The comparison to westen society is irrelevant, there are mosques throughout it, and despite a loud percentage of true bigots and racists, Muslims can travel anywhere despite any beliefs they may hold which contradict with westen views.

There's a common notion that people tend to use 'The West' against foreign nation, conveniently stripping and downplaying the power dynamics The West has over The Rest.

We live in a world where the power dynamics favour The West in most measurable metrics and despite being noted for its PC-ness, there are no true equality for anyone who isn't _______ ( you know what goes here ).

Trump had stired an obnoxious amount of Islamphobia in the most military advanced, no.1 cultural export and largest economy country in the world. Every time he doubles down his inert racism, the support he receives soar. Yet you still want SA to willingly embrace him in grace, not knowing what kind of stunts he might pull there too? Violence is obviously wrong but SA should not entertain this idea at all.

It's also ridiculously easy for some countries to be graceful and embrace multiculturalism / globalization when the nation and its mega-corporations tremendously benefit from it. Unfortunately though, it's more talk than shown.

Blader

Yes.
Would be nice to see some tolerance, especially when its inconvenient, especially as an ally of the US.

To those saying that this is triggering violence, you're the one who is imposing bigoted stereotypes, you're the ones saying that "of course they will react violently".

So you can just ignore it later?

Since when has the public at large given a shit about tolerant Muslims? Every thread we have about this, someone predictably goes off about how more Muslims need to hold their religion accountable, need to protest militant radicals like ISIS, need to make themselves heard and act tolerant, etc. And then we get tons of links to just those kinds of Muslim peace and protest movements, noting how these things happen all the time but the media never covers them. And then the initial complainer goes away or acts like it's not his fault for knowing... and then someone else will come in later, talk about how Muslims don't protest radicalized elements, don't preach tolerance, etc. Rinse and repeat.

Sinfamy

So you can just ignore it later?

Since when has the public at large given a shit about tolerant Muslims? Every thread we have about this, someone predictably goes off about how more Muslims need to hold their religion accountable, need to protest militant radicals like ISIS, need to make themselves heard and act tolerant, etc. And then we get tons of links to just those kinds of Muslim peace and protest movements, noting how these things happen all the time but the media never covers them. And then the initial complainer goes away or acts like it's not his fault for knowing... and then someone else will come in later, talk about how Muslims don't protest radicalized elements, don't preach tolerance, etc. Rinse and repeat.
Read my reply above.
I think asking Muslims to apologize for the actions of an extremist group is wrong and is a shit response by the right winng.

I meant tolerance in the way of being better then a piece of shit like Trump.
Someone smart would welcome Trump, sit him down and hug him, make him and his rhetoric look pathetic.
Like the Muslims who came out from mosques and were kind to protesters outside.
They have to play it smart, because sadly they don't have good media attention, and getting angry only hurts them.

Black people could have rioted and fought decades back, but were peaceful, even in the face of adversity, so peaceful they made the white people who called them savages look like monsters.

The bigger the bark the louder the whimper.

BokehKing

Banned
People will get killed over this? They are serious? What the hell is wrong with this world.
You're likely to get killed walking into Trump threads

But yeah, Religion....sometimes I feel like the world would be a better place with out it

This is not a good idea by the way, trump needs to stay behind his walls

Cromat

He cancelled his trip until he's president (i.e. never). Netanyahu's cold shoulder must have nudged him away thankfully.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
It all feels like a comic where the heroes and the villains have to team up to stop an even bigger villain.
So... like every Blizzard game made in the past decade or so.

His speeches are just as comically villanous, too.

Mael

It's called religion. That's what's wrong. Until people keep killing each other over "who's imaginary friend is right" humanity is doomed.

bahahaahahhahah.
If religion didn't exist, they would have found another reason equally stupid.
Seriously history is littered with examples of why religion isn't really to blame.
Heck we had invasions, wars and persecutions to defend a religion that have a message that is basically "be nice once in a while, please?".

He cancelled his trip until he's president (i.e. never). Netanyahu's cold shoulder must have nudged him away thankfully.

Which is weird considering his own rhetoric during the Israeli election.

I'd have thought Trump would essentially be his brother from another mother.

jmdajr

bahahaahahhahah.
If religion didn't exist, they would have found another reason equally stupid.
Seriously history is littered with examples of why religion isn't really to blame.
Heck we had invasions, wars and persecutions to defend a religion that have a message that is basically "be nice once in a while, please?".

Man made Religion, man made Laws, I think we are just violent by nature.

Luckily all the distractions technologically provides has made us less so. It might not seem that way but people we are probbaly overall less violent than ever before, even though it's easier to kill than ever before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom