• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Newsweek: Kushner's meeting w/ Mahmoud Abbas went badly, U.S. might pull out talks

Tripon

A U.S. official denied reports that President Donald Trump was considering pulling out of peace negotiations between Israel and Palestinians after a rift opened up in the first meeting between Trump aide and son-in-law Jared Kushner and Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas.

London-based Arabic daily Al-Hayat reported Saturday that the meeting between Kushner and Abbas had been “tense.” Abbas was allegedly furious when Kushner relayed a set of demands from Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, according to a translation of the report by the Jerusalem Post.

Israeli daily Haaretz reported that Palestinian officials were “greatly disappointed” following their Wednesday meeting with Kushner and Jonathan Greenblatt, Trump’s Middle East envoy.

"They sounded like Netanyahu's advisers and not like fair arbiters," a senior Palestinian official told the publication. "They started presenting Netanyahu's issues and then we asked to hear from them clear stances regarding the core issues of the conflict."

According to the report, Kushner and Greenblatt criticized Abbas for failing to condemn a terrorist attack in Jerusalem last week that left one dead, and for refusing to meet Trump’s appointee as U.S. ambassador to Israel, David Friedman, over his support for the settlement program.

A Palestinian official told Al-Hayat that Kushner will now report back to Trump, who will decide whether there are grounds for continuing talks.

http://www.newsweek.com/kushner-trump-middle-east-peace-628859

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
It sounds like they just came in and chastised them and produced a list of demands from a person Abbas despises. Yeah probably not the best negotiating tactic.

RPGCrazied

Really?

Who could say no to this?! /s
vest7n-1-web.jpg

Lo-Volt

This was a pretty consistent complaint from Abbas and his team during the Kerry talks and those guys actually made a real effort. So this shouldn't have been a surprise except that the Trumpkins choose not to hear.

cackhyena

I think maybe you're gonna see the middle east problem isn't as hard to solve as people think. My son in law will set it straight.

120v

dang who would've thought jared kushner wouldn't be able to nip this little isreal/palestine kerfluffle in the bud

IaN_GAF

I mean, everybody with half a brain would know that this little Kushner bitch isn't going to arrange anything.

Boke1879

Why did they even try this? This is something they could have just never done despite them shouting Jared would do this and no one would have cared.

This shit is just embarrassing.

Kettch

"They sounded like Netanyahu's advisers and not like fair arbiters," a senior Palestinian official told the publication.

Palestinian officials must be pretty optimistic if they were expecting anything else from the US.

Ponn

Banned
That's odd, I would have thought a real estate salesman would be fully equipped to negotiate the peace that has alluded every other administration for decades.

HStallion

I think the better thing about all this is just how spineless they all are. They're considering pulling out after making a big fucking deal about it and its only been one real meeting. Negotiations don't happen over night especially for something like peace in one of the most contentious areas out there. Its pathetic.

Zolo

I don't think I've heard of a good negotiation coming out of this administration. Maybe getting the healthcare bill out of the house?

I love the way these morons talked about this issue before formally getting involved. "Well we're going to negotiate! We're going to ask then to uh... Be nice! How has no one tried this before?"

Six toed born rich motherfuckers with no business in this sphere

Yup.

Maybe its for the best, put aside Trump for a sec. The US heavily favors Israel and has vetoed multiple attemps in the UN Security Council to take action against Israel's apartheid against the palestinians.

Remember the 2000 Camp David Summit? The US isnt going to solve this be it Trump, Clinton, Obama or anyone else.

HStallion

Maybe its for the best, put aside Trump for a sec. The US heavily favors Israel and has vetoed multiple attemps in the UN Security Council to take action against Israel's apartheid against the palestinians.

Remember the 2000 Camp David Summit? The US isnt going to solve this be it Trump, Clinton, Obama or anyone else.

I don't think anyone in their right mind thought this was going to do anything, let alone actually achieve something no one else had. Trump and his goons were the ones blowing this up like it was the second coming and now they're running out of there with their tail tucked between their legs like a puppy caught pissing on the carpet. Its just another example of the entire administrations ineptitude on the world stage.

The American people, in voting for Trump, voted to send a host of unqualified people to represent us on the world's stage. Bravo, middle America.

The American people, in voting for Trump, voted to send a host of unqualified people to represent us on the world's stage. Bravo, middle America.

This.

I think the better thing about all this is just how spineless they all are. They're considering pulling out after making a big fucking deal about it and its only been one real meeting. Negotiations don't happen over night especially for something like peace in one of the most contentious areas out there. Its pathetic.

This. Already going home like a baby. Who knew this was so hard.

What a damned global embarrassment we are right now. This "administration" and the GOP needs to be removed immediately.

Ogodei

That Kushner even leads such important negoations

Kushner is a close family friend of Netanyahu, and diplomacy is often built more around these personal ties than anyone's expertise.

Though in this case it just means that Kushner's going to act as a cudgel for whatever Bibi wants, but absent his rank incompetence, he's "qualified" because he would have Netanyahu's ear.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I wish I was surprised. Trump is the type of asshole that puts people's fucking lives in the hands of his family just to keep his ego safe. The best people. Swamps. Sad.

I mean, everybody with half a brain would know that this little Kushner bitch isn't going to arrange anything.
C'mon man...

EGM1966

It sounds like they just came in and chastised them and produced a list of demands from a person Abbas despises. Yeah probably not the best negotiating tactic.

Like father like son.

Seriously though has there been a recent western government this inexperienced and plain bad at their jobs?

Does the average voter in US now realize that a modern country isn't like running a business and that in today's global ecosystem not just anybody can be president or government officials and that you need to make it your career now if you want that role?

I'm guessing not but one can hope.

It's the famous Trump stamina.

Frankly, the level of incompetence demonstrated by this administration warrants impeachment for the sake of national security, even if there was no Russian collusion.

Who would have thought that sending someone who is extremely religious and therefore, by default, sectarian in his thinking would fare worse than sending someone secular?

Aselith

But it's haaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrd

Frankly, the level of incompetence demonstrated by this administration warrants impeachment for the sake of national security, even if there was no Russian collusion.

Yup. It's fucking historical.

And then multiply that multiple times over again since we can still throw Russian collusion and treason on top at most of this administration.

Edit: And indeed global security.

Biske

Wait, you are telling me that this problem can't be solved by a sit down with a trust fund baby?

Shocked and chagrined.

Nobody new how hard the peace process would be. Thanks for figuring that out Trump and Male Ivanka!

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Kushner is a close family friend of Netanyahu, and diplomacy is often built more around these personal ties than anyone's expertise.

Though in this case it just means that Kushner's going to act as a cudgel for whatever Bibi wants, but absent his rank incompetence, he's "qualified" because he would have Netanyahu's ear.

That is exactly why he is unqualified for the job.

The idea that Palestine would even countenance negotiating in good faith with Bibi's mate is absurd.

So, the big new tech Kushner brought to the table for Peace in the Middle East was sitting down and telling the Palestinians what the Israelis want.

Did he consider trying the classic tactic of going, "C'mon, guys. C'mon. Guys."?

It's how spoiled brats behave, which both of these fuckfaces essentially are. Kushner, Trump, they are used to get what they want with little effort, or when effort is required a bit of "hand wringing". Now they can't and are throwing a tantrum each time.

Top Bottom