• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze announced for WiiU

The Boat

If this is true, Nintendo REALLY fucked up with HD development.

So what's the cause for game delays before the HD era? Nintendo might've been caught with their pants down, but delays always have been pretty normal, especially for Nintendo. I'm glad they prefer to release a better game than to rush it to help sales. The exaggeration in this thread is ridiculous.

So what's the cause for game delays before the HD era? Nintendo might've been caught with their pants down, but delays always have been pretty normal, especially for Nintendo. I'm glad they prefer to release a better game than to rush it to help sales. The exaggeration in this thread is ridiculous.

Their release schedule has never been this bad though. Even when the N64 had similar droughts, it at least started with Mario64, Waverace, Pilotwings.
Almost a year into the WiiU and the most impressive Nintendo game is not even developed by them (W101), because the rest are minigames, an HD port and NSMB map packs. If they can't even get DK out, god help us all...

JazzmanZ

Their release schedule has never been this bad though. Even when the N64 had similar droughts, it at least started with Mario64, Waverace, Pilotwings.
Almost a year into the WiiU and the most impressive Nintendo game is not even developed by them (W101), because the rest are minigames, an HD port and NSMB map packs. If they can't even get DK out, god help us all...

Calling Super mario 3D world a NSMB Map pack is quite a leap of logic

Weren't they thinking about doing W101 on the Wii?

My goodness, is the entire line-up this year a bunch of uprezzed Wii/3DS games

its like 9/11 all over again...

JazzmanZ

Weren't they thinking about doing W101 on the Wii?

My goodness, is the entire line-up this year a bunch of uprezzed Wii/3DS games

no wonder this system is bombing

Right I'm glad you have this inside knowledge that Nintendo employs people who only up the resolution of Wii and 3DS games to the Wii U instead of them actually putting some heart and soul into the games they make that are usually acclaimed.

Okey, there are rumors about this game being delayed until 2014 in all regions. First Amazon changed the release date from "5 December" to "undetermined" a couple of days ago, and now Xtralife says the release date is on 02/12/2014.

Anybody knows anything about this?

I feel so dumb for buying a Wii U at launch especially considering I was very negative towards it right before launch. I had figured I would play around with NSMBU for a few months and by Summer/early fall there would be some new Nintendo game to play (W101 and Pikmin 3 are more like strategy games which don't interest me). Boy was I wrong.

I can categorically say that unless there is a mind-blowing Super Mario 64 type game at launch I will never buy a Nintendo product in it's first year again. In fact i'm reluctant to buy anything from Nintendo until they get there act together.

I feel so dumb for buying a Wii U at launch especially considering I was very negative towards it right before launch. I had figured I would play around with NSMBU for a few months and by Summer/early fall there would be some new Nintendo game to play (W101 and Pikmin 3 are more like strategy games which don't interest me). Boy was I wrong.

I can categorically say that unless there is a mind-blowing Super Mario 64 type game at launch I will never buy a Nintendo product in it's first year again. In fact i'm reluctant to buy anything from Nintendo until they get there act together.

Wonderful 101 is not a strategy game.

And you knew that but I guess it doesn't really matter in the end.

It is linear though.

jnWake

It's funny how every Nintendo sequel is now an up-port but every sequel announced for the PS4 is a mindblowing game *insert particle effect here*.

It's funny how every Nintendo sequel is now an up-port but every sequel announced for the PS4 is a mindblowing game *insert particle effect here*.
while I agree it's dumb fairly traditional sequels from one company are labelled lazy while other traditional sequels from another company are not, but Nintendo opens themselves up way more to this sort of criticism when they refuse to put more effort into jazzing up their leadship franchises's presentation or aesthetics for its first big HD game

Sooner or later that's going to cause a feeling of stagnation for the wider audience which isn't paying as close attention, regardless of whether it's really there or not.

DjRoomba

Banned
I bought a Wind Waker bundle fully expecting this to be a likely result this holiday.

Your game for the holiday is Super Mario 3D World, an obvious 3DS up-port.

Rough going for Nintendo fans. But for me, a huge Zelda junkie, Wind Waker HD (and that gorgeous Zelda-themed GamePad) are worth the $299.

Shame if it's actually delayed, though. Nintendo is really, really struggling with the HD transition. Seemingly a lot more than Sony and MS did.

Or, you know, games take a while to make? GTA V was delayed a few months. Cos Rockstar was struggling with HD development? Or cos the game wasnt ready?

Gsnap

Come on, now. At least watch a few videos (or play the demo) of the game before you decide you don't like it.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
while I agree it's dumb fairly traditional sequels from one company are labelled lazy while other traditional sequels from another company are not, but Nintendo opens themselves up way more to this sort of criticism when they refuse to put more effort into jazzing up their leadship franchises's presentation or aesthetics for its first big HD game

Sooner or later that's going to cause a feeling of stagnation for the wider audience which isn't paying as close attention, regardless of whether it's really there or not.

Especially when you had more time and more room for improvement than both Sony and ms. I mean they had good 2+ years with wii being ignored. I think we all thought they were launching with badass hardware and amazing games....how wrong where we..geez

Or, you know, games take a while to make? GTA V was delayed a few months. Cos Rockstar was struggling with HD development? Or cos the game wasnt ready?

Come on... GTAV was a massively ambitious undertaking. Most expensive game ever made, unmatched world detail, huge scale etc. I don't even own GTAV, but it's clearly a much bigger project than Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze.

This is a game that's copped a lot of flack for looking like a relatively safe sequel. It's not wowing people visually on the level of say Mario Kart 8, it doesn't scream "epic" like X.

Good level design and ensuring the necessary level of polish obviously takes time, and the delay is really only for a few months so it's no big deal. But when you look at the fact that the same development team announced DKCR at E3 back in 2010 and released later that year, and the same thing happened with DKCTF... except now it's been delayed, the "struggling with HD development" theory isn't particularly outlandish.

Come on... GTAV was a massively ambitious undertaking. Most expensive game ever made, unmatched world detail, huge scale etc. I don't even own GTAV, but it's clearly a much bigger project than Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze.

This is a game that's copped a lot of flack for looking like a relatively safe sequel. It's not wowing people visually on the level of say Mario Kart 8, it doesn't scream "epic" like X.

Good level design and ensuring the necessary level of polish obviously takes time, and the delay is really only for a few months so it's no big deal. But when you look at the fact that the same development team announced DKCR at E3 back in 2010 and released later that year, and the same thing happened with DKCTF... except now it's been delayed, the "struggling with HD development" theory isn't particularly outlandish.
plus if Nintendo isn't struggling with HD development (ignoring the fact they've said as much in several interviews), what the hell was up with the past nine months game drought after the Wii U's launch?

plus if Nintendo isn't struggling with HD development (ignoring the fact they've said as much in several interviews), what the hell was up with the past nine months game drought after the Wii U's launch?

I kind of thought Retro wouldn't have major issues with HD development, but now... well... we still don't really know.

I kind of thought Retro wouldn't have major issues with HD development, but now... well... we still don't really know.
If DKCTF's delayed I'm pretty sure it's due to Nintendo wanting to pad out the wait for MK8; Retro has a TON of ex-Naughty Dog employees and other devs from western AAA houses now, I'd be surprised if they weren't meeting deadlines for Tropical Freeze.

Gsnap

But Miyamoto did an interview saying they were struggling with HD development.

They certainly have been. But something tells me that's not why Donkey Kong was (allegedly) delayed.

I think it's either to give the holiday season platformers some room to breathe and to push Wii Fit U, or it's just because of standard Nintendo delays. Quality Assurance, etc. It's common with them.

That said, I think it'll end up being a rumor, or just in Europe.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Retro had the vast majority of their developers on the project, including the leads. They worked on it basically until it shipped. They also did more than just the Retro tracks. People did not read the Iwata Asks closely at all.

Kelbaugh said differently at this year's E3; he was talking about how Retro only really has the bandwidth to do one big project and one smaller project simultaneously, and cited their involvement with MK7 as an example of a "small project".

EDIT: the quote:

"We’re pretty much on one major project at a time. We do a game every two years or three years," Kelbaugh said. "In the first year of that, we have some extra bandwidth, so sometimes… We helped out with Mario Kart 7. We helped Monster Games do the 3DS version. Sometimes we’ll have a little bit of extra bandwidth to help out other entities at Nintendo. We really feel strongly about helping out Nintendo as a whole, so if we have time, we’ll do that. Do we have the bandwidth to do two major projects at once? I don’t think so. A big project and a little project at the same time, we can do that."

RomanceDawn

Not too far from the reality of "something everyone [on the team] wanted to do." Could have been misheard.

I asked a Retro Employee about the original quote during E3 2012 and he straight up said "no one from our team said that." He then laughed at the thought of a Star Fox X Metroid.

I don't know if it was there before, but there's no 12/6 release date on Tropical Freeze's Amazon US page as of now.

So if this delay is real, it's probably not just Europe-only.

It's worth noting that Super Mario 3D World's release date is listed on its Amazon US page.

Timeaisis

I don't know if it was there before, but there's no 12/6 release date on Tropical Freeze's Amazon US page as of now.

So if this delay is real, it's probably not just Europe-only.

It's worth noting that Super Mario 3D World's release date is listed on its Amazon US page.

Yeah, that discovery started this whole rumor in the first place. I guess it comes full circle.

We do realize that's the only shred of evidence we're going on, right?

Yep, Retro is definitely ready to handle more than one project...

Most likely Nintendo is delaying this game because yet again they themselves can't deliver games and are relying on this game to fill the gap.

Same goes with that 9/11/Hollocaust shit. The site's run by two former Emmy winners who have a twisted sense of humor which permeates into the forums. (The show they won it for was a show they produced called Elvis and Slick Monty.)
If that's their sense of humor, I HAVE to find this show. Immediately.

hatchx

Banned
Yeah, that discovery started this whole rumor in the first place. I guess it comes full circle.

We do realize that's the only shred of evidence we're going on, right?

Usually when any evidence points to a Nintendo delay, it happens. I can't think of a single time when we thought there might be a delay and there miraculously wasn't.

Artorias

Banned
I asked a Retro Employee about the original quote during E3 2012 and he straight up said "no one from our team said that." He then laughed at the thought of a Star Fox X Metroid.

Not to mention Paul Gale admitted that it was basically just a guess based on several snippets of things he supposedly heard.

The guy was about as reliable as chartz, and they have the same work ethic: Make some shit up, post it and wait for clicks.

Okey, there are rumors about this game being delayed until 2014 in all regions. First Amazon changed the release date from "5 December" to "undetermined" a couple of days ago, and now Xtralife says the release date is on 02/12/2014.

Anybody knows anything about this?

Lol. Wouldn't be surprising with Nintendo's incompetence.

Iwata: We realized our quarter 1 lineup was barren for Wii U

So we delayed Donkey Kong Country

Mario Kart 8 is now Fall 2014

But hey, we have Super Mario 3 coming to the eStore with a 25% discount! Also, we have a port of some third party game which we think will move systems!

Please understand

*bow*

A massive team of hundreds and hundreds doing a bigger project than a team of 70+. Who would have thought.

Top Bottom