• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze announced for WiiU

I asked a Retro Employee about the original quote during E3 2012 and he straight up said "no one from our team said that." He then laughed at the thought of a Star Fox X Metroid.

I don't know what's funny about a star fox x metroid. The concept could be translated into a really cool game and the two brands have already crossed over in the smash bro series.

Hey, I wasn't the one who bought up GTAV as a comparison in the first place. Maybe direct your snark elsewhere?

Your post seemed to be implying that because GTA V was bigger, more expensive, and more ambitious that it's delay was justified, and that TF's possible delay isn't. I just thought that was a little unfair.

Your post seemed to be implying that because GTA V was bigger, more expensive, and more ambitious that it's delay was justified, and that TF's possible delay isn't. I just thought that was a little unfair.

It is more understanding. This is a 2D platformer that isnt that much more impressive visually than the last couple. GTA5 is a game with more detail and depth than more single player games in history. So yea. Just par for the coirse with current Nintendo.

Sendou

I'm so conflicted about the potential delay. On one hand it means that my Wii U will probably be very dusty after Super Mario 3D World until who knows how long into the 2014. On the other it shows that Nintendo has no problems with delaying games that aren't ready (Mario Kart 8 being other example. Well MK8 wasn't delayed but most certainly they could have used it this holiday season).

I guess I should be glad that we will potentially keep getting modern classics like Pikmin 3!

It is more understanding. This is a 2D platformer that isnt that much more impressive visually than the last couple. GTA5 is a game with more detail and depth than more single player games in history. So yea. Just par for the coirse with current Nintendo.

Again, I point you to the fact that Rockstar had hundreds of people on GTA and Retro is a small team barely over 70. And a 2D platformer is not necessarily easier to make than an open world game.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
pages and pages of..what? GTAV development team review, Wii U bashing and DK assumptions?
C'mone GAF!
and..C'mon Nintendo, Zelda WW HD is out (at least in Japan and US), so bring us f***ing updates on Mario and DK!

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Plutonium being gathered for dem meltdowns in this thread! :D

But yeah, this smells fishy. Me mad if true, because I want this game in a Kate Upton kinda way.

and..C'mon Nintendo, Zelda WW HD is out (at least in Japan and US), so bring us f***ing updates on Mario and DK!

do you really think nintendo wants to update people on the news that donkey kong has been delayed to 2014 and that mario 3dworld is a disappointment?
They are keeping tight lipped in the hopes that people pick up a wii u along with zelda so they can play dk and mario this christmas, why stop potential sales.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
the trolling is strong in this thread, guys...
I'll wait for news on the game before entering once again, probably...

Sendou

It´s a mixture of shovelware, 2 unambitious rehashes and a HD Remake. So yeah, pretty much.

Wow this is pretty good. Just for future reference you should refer to Wind Waker HD as "port of the worst Zelda game". In fact you should call Super Mario 3D World and Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze remakes and when confronted claim that you didn't realize that they were sequels from the trailer.

AniHawk

LMAO. It´s a extremelx pityful lineup compared to the other consoles.

obviously i'm talking about nintendo's own lineup for the machine. they're putting out a ton of first party software for it in a very short amount of time. it makes sense for them to spread out their own release schedule a bit.

the only other company that really compares is sony, but their first-party stuff is spread out between the ps3, ps4, and vita, where each machine is getting around two games apiece at the end of the year.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Didn't read the massive thread, just sharing my thoughts on the video. The colors are yucky, like when the Wii DK game went to 3DS. I hope it's just crappy video compression.

I mailed Xtralife an Nintendo Spain asking about this delay.

Xtralife told me they usually date the games with the release day that Nintendo gives to them but they also mentioned this 02/12/2014 could be an error and if so they will immediately change it. Now I can't access to Tropical Freeze page in Xtralife, so I don't know if that means they're actually changing it.

Nintendo Spain (who keeps dating the game for December 2013) told me they haven't heard any official information about this delay.

D-e-f-

Banned
Maybe they're adding online co-op.

100% no. Precision platforming + online with Nintendo's standards is not gonna happen. Especially not via some random last minute delay lol.

LMAO. It´s a extremelx pityful lineup compared to the other consoles.

Are you laughing your ass off because you know it's not actually true what you're saying? :)

It´s a mixture of shovelware, 2 unambitious rehashes and a HD Remake. So yeah, pretty much.

Shovelware? What shovelware? What unambitious rehashes? Well at least you mentioned Wind Waker HD. You must have weird issues if you have to shit up threads with this nonsense.

Javier

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/nintendo-teams-up-with-tesco-for-wii-u-fight-back/0121777

That is on top of TV ads for all its big franchises – including Mario, Donkey Kong and Zelda, which will run ‘continuously from half-term to Christmas’. There will also be national press advertorials, major online activity, plus a huge out-of-home promotional tour aimed at reaching 115,500 shoppers.
So apparently, Nintendo is still planning to promote DKCTF in the UK these Holidays.

Hopefully the delay isn't true. Its sad people can't see the visual difference between dkcr and tropical freeze. The art style is really similar which seems to throw people off way too easily. It is the exact same thing with mario 3d world too.

And as for the people complaining that games are up ressed ports, they boggle my mind even more. Practically every game coming out on the upcoming consoles can be done on current consoles. Ryse, killer instinct, watch dogs, cod ghosts, infamous, killzone. And the best part is the majority of those started development on last gen consoles. Just because a game is an up ressed jazzed up port doesn't make it any worse.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
Donkey Kong delayed? When hell tropical freezes over.

Squishy3

I wouldn't really take that as proof of anything.

[Recalling that in/famous Yarnton and DS Lite incident of yesteryear].
We still don't have any proof of a delay actually happening yet, either.

Could you remind me of that?
David Yarnton was the general manager for Nintendo UK at the time and said there was no DS redesign planned for E3. The next day, Nintendo announced the DS Lite. Although I guess he was technically correct, there was no DS redesign announced at E3.

A delay would be a bummer but I can't think of any big Wii U games coming out in the beginning of 2014. A February release might be better for this game. It might give third party games like Watch Dogs, Call of Duty, Batman, and Assassin's Creed more of a chance to sell Wii U copies during Christmas.

Roo

A delay would be a bummer but I can't think of any big Wii U games coming out in the beginning of 2014. A February release might be better for this game. It might give third party games like Watch Dogs, Call of Duty, Batman, and Assassin's Creed more of a chance to sell Wii U copies during Christmas.

Let's be honest here. People is waiting for first party titles, delaying the game won't have any positive impact for third party games sales and tbqh... their target audience is quite different so I don't see how someone interested in DK would magically want Watch_Dogs or Assassin's Creed.

Question; for those who have DKC3 on the Wii VC, does it allow you to gift the game? Since owning it allows you to still access the game's Shop Channel page. It's the only one I'm missing and would buy a card and give it to someone who can gift the game to me.

in all fairness you could say the same of the ps4/xbox1 launch lineup

Yea. Lets compare the launch lineup to second year holiday luneup. Makes sense. Total sense. Though it will make it even funnier when the PS4/XB1each sell more hardware this holiday than the Wii U.

d31m0s

I'm so conflicted about the potential delay. On one hand it means that my Wii U will probably be very dusty after Super Mario 3D World until who knows how long into the 2014. On the other it shows that Nintendo has no problems with delaying games that aren't ready (Mario Kart 8 being other example. Well MK8 wasn't delayed but most certainly they could have used it this holiday season).

I guess I should be glad that we will potentially keep getting modern classics like Pikmin 3!

As long as it is content rich it is worth it there is plenty to play on the wiiu this holiday and i would rather them not rush a game because rushing leads to a worse game

Let's be honest here. People is waiting for first party titles, delaying the game won't have any positive impact for third party games sales and tbqh... their target audience is quite different so I don't see how someone interested in DK would magically want Watch_Dogs or Assassin's Creed.

It would make it easier for someone like me, who owns a Wii U and is interested in both DKC and Watch Dogs- but can't necessarily get both at the same time.

Drago

Question; for those who have DKC3 on the Wii VC, does it allow you to gift the game? Since owning it allows you to still access the game's Shop Channel page. It's the only one I'm missing and would buy a card and give it to someone who can gift the game to me.
holy shit

if you can do this I will gladly pay for DKC2 and 3!

NEO0MJ

Played the game again today, and man it's still incredible how unimpressive this game looks graphically.

I guess Retro weren't ready yet for the HD jump, even more than the other teams. Which is pretty strange, considering it's been a long time since DKCR. I'm starting to believe that Nintendo were using them to push their games forward, and not just MK7.

Top Bottom