• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze announced for WiiU

Wouldn't it be wise to give it a more generic name for the sake of sales? Or is this one of those Nintendo moments when they have come up with a name that inexplicably works.

I dunno, but I'm really, really glad it's not just called "Donkey Kong Country Returns 2." Donkey Kong Country has already "Returned", so keeping the word "Returns" in every Retro-developed DKC game title would just add an uncomforting disconnect between Rare's trilogy and the Retro revival. With Tropical Freeze, it's apparent that "Donkey Kong Country" is being treated like one unified, inseparable series - and that feels good.

Oh, and I think "Tropical Freeze" in all its wordplay-filled goodness has the potential to raise a lot of attention via word of mouth. It's just so fun to say. Say it!

(Now if only we could get a 7/11 slurpee promotion...)

I dunno, but I'm really, really glad it's not just called "Donkey Kong Country Returns 2." Donkey Kong Country has already "Returned", so keeping the word "Returns" in every Retro-developed DKC game title would just add an uncomforting disconnect between Rare's trilogy and the Retro revival. With Tropical Freeze, it's apparent that "Donkey Kong Country" is being treated like one unified, inseparable series - and that feels good.

Oh, and I think "Tropical Freeze" in all its wordplay-filled goodness has the potential to raise a lot of attention via word of mouth. It's just so fun to say. Say it!

(Now if only we could get a 7/11 slurpee promotion...)

Could've been New Donkey Country Returns.

I like Tropical Freeze. And I vote for a Jamba Juice tie-in.

Tropical Freeze is a cool and refreshing name that just goes down very smoothly.

(it's clever and makes perfect sense in the storyline)

I wonder if there are any people that hate ice levels; I have a feeling there will be a lot of them.

Riskiest game of 2013!!!

But Galaxy showed us that ice levels work so well with another theme. The Galaxies mixed lava and ice, and Tropical Freeze mixes jungle with ice. How can that be bad? Plus, it gives you a boost of energy and helps digestion.

Defect

The only DKC games I've played were the first two. I didn't like the look of Returns and that it wasn't made by Rare. I'll give this one a shot unless it's digital only.
Mostly because I need more Wii U games.

But Galaxy showed us that ice levels work so well with another theme. The Galaxies mixed lava and ice, and Tropical Freeze mixes jungle with ice. How can that be bad? Plus, it gives you a boost of energy and helps digestion.

Nothing will top that ice-fire level in Galaxy where you skate upside-down.

Volotaire

The only DKC games I've played were the first two. I didn't like the look of Returns and that it wasn't made by Rare. I'll give this one a shot unless it's digital only.
Mostly because I need more Wii U games.

Play it, I've been recently giving it a go for the past month for the first time and except for the shake to roll problem in small places, its nearly a masterpiece.

Even if I'm a bit more fanatical about the game than others, I still thinks it's one of the best platformers this generation.

Nothing will top that ice-fire level in Galaxy where you skate upside-down.

I don't remember if that was the same one that had the timed switch that turned all the lava into ice for skating, but the lava/ice levels in Galaxy were amazing indeed.

It was fun how a simple thing like subverting our expectations for the "ice level" tropes made for such a unique experience. Hopefully Retro will do the same here.

Play it, I've been recently giving it a go for the past month for the first time and except for the shake to roll problem in small places, its nearly a masterpiece.

Even if I'm a bit more fanatical about the game than others, I still thinks it's one of the best platformers this generation.

It's a great platformer. Like you, shake-to-roll gave me a few unwanted deaths, but the flow of the game is great. Along with Sin and Punishment 2, DKCR is one of the few games this gen I played more than once all the way through.

Yeah, play Returns man. It's a masterful game with a few obvious shortcomings that Tropical Freeze seems to almost fully address. Thus I think it'll make you appreciate Tropical Freeze that much more.

Conversely, what we know about Tropical Freeze also makes me appreciate Returns more - it not having things like water levels and an original soundtrack don't leave a bitter taste in my mouth anymore now that we know we're getting them in the sequel. Yet the sequel likely won't have things like an entire lava world meaning it's not rendering its prequel entirely obsolete.

Tropical Freeze looks to be playing the exact role a sequel should.

I talked about this somewhere else but wanted to bring it up here too because it's...certainly thought-provoking.

So, you guys remember how in DKCR, the pre and post-boss cutscenes would change depending on whether you were playing as DK, Diddy, or DK + Diddy? Like here?

Well...provided TF's Fourth Kong™ tags along with DK like Diddy and Dixie do, won't that mean that there will have to be SEVEN variations of every cutscene that happens during a level? One for DK, one for Diddy, one for Dixie, one for Fourth Kong, and three more for DK + whatever Kong is accompanying him? Because...that's a lot. Even with only DK, Diddy, and Dixie, that'd still require each cutscene to have five variations and that's a lot too. Especially since we now have cutscenes happening during ordinary non-boss levels as shown near the end of Trunk Twister. (05:45)

(Realizing that Dixie Kong will have her own metric ton of cutscenes in one of Nintendo's two flagship holiday games is so surreal. Just a few months ago we were wondering how many years we'd be waiting for her next Mario spinoff appearance.)

Weng

I talked about this somewhere else but wanted to bring it up here too because it's...certainly thought-provoking.

So, you guys remember how in DKCR, the pre and post-boss cutscenes would change depending on whether you were playing as DK, Diddy, or DK + Diddy? Like here?

Well...provided TF's Fourth Kong™ tags along with DK like Diddy and Dixie do, won't that mean that there will have to be SEVEN variations of every cutscene that happens during a level? One for DK, one for Diddy, one for Dixie, one for Fourth Kong, and three more for DK + whatever Kong is accompanying him? Because...that's a lot. Even with only DK, Diddy, and Dixie, that'd still require each cutscene to have five variations and that's a lot too. Especially since we now have cutscenes happening during ordinary non-boss levels as shown near the end of Trunk Twister. (05:45)

(Realizing that Dixie Kong will have her own metric ton of cutscenes in one of Nintendo's two flagship holiday games is so surreal. Just a few months ago we were wondering how many years we'd be waiting for her next Mario spinoff appearance.)
WAIT... you can play through DKCR only using Diddy Kong? o_O

I'm leaning on Cranky Kong mode being an unlockable Hard Mode, with no extra kongs(and thus no variance in cutscenes/less work Retro has to do) and no heart meter, because back in MY day we didn't have hearts you had one hit and that's it, you kids today with ya super guide pigs and your health bars and your XP

Rich!

I'm leaning on Cranky Kong mode being an unlockable Hard Mode, with no extra kongs(and thus no variance in cutscenes/less work Retro has to do) and no heart meter, because back in MY day we didn't have hearts you had one hit and that's it, you kids today with ya super guide pigs and your health bars and your XP

all the music should then be monotone DK Arcade style

That would be pretty awesome, could see this as DLC if not in the main game.

I know I will get stoned for this, but after playing the game at Gamescom, I have to say that the graphics are simply horrible. It's kind of ok in videos, but in person the low res textures and low poly environments really make the game look like a simple Wii game in HD.

I understand that they wanted to preserve the art style of Returns, but some of the assets look downright cheap.

If it weren't for DKs fur, I'd totally believe this game could easily run on Wii. At least from what was shown so far. I am disappointed by Retro. I really expected a better technical showcase from them on the WiiU.

A lot of people thought DKCR needed to be played with Diddy on your back the whole time. This sort of game is a lot of fun with two people.

Linkyn

I know I will get stoned for this, but after playing the game at Gamescom, I have to say that the graphics are simply horrible. It's kind of ok in videos, but in person the low res textures and low poly environments really make the game look like a simple Wii game in HD.

I understand that they wanted to preserve the art style of Returns, but some of the assets look downright cheap.

If it weren't for DKs fur, I'd totally believe this game could easily run on Wii. At least from what was shown so far. I am disappointed by Retro. I really expected a better technical showcase from them on the WiiU.

That's odd. I played it, too, and I thought it looked more than adequate. It's true that they really didn't go with the most demanding levels for their demo, but I fully expect it to really shine when there is a bit more going on on-screen.

I said before the first game came out that Cranky should have been used as the Super Guide instead of super kong.

If you activated him, he would go through the levels while constantly belittling kids these days and how good players would've had no problem with this level back in his day.

Cranky Kong as the fourth Kong would be fucking awesome. (Someone once suggested he could do the cane-pogo-thing like Scrooge McDuck from DuckTales.) But yeah, I'd only want him in if he was isolated to his own super-hard mode where it's just him and one heart. He's not the type to receive help from others, after all.

(But does he have what it takes to kick viking animal ass and run a shop at the same time?)

It looks worse in person?, oh man... i already thought it looked bad enough as is... smh...

Cranky Kong as the fourth Kong would be fucking awesome. (Someone once suggested he could do the cane-pogo-thing like Scrooge McDuck from DuckTales.) But yeah, I'd only want him in if he was isolated to his own super-hard mode where it's just him and one heart. He's not the type to receive help from others, after all.

(But does he have what it takes to kick viking animal ass and run a shop at the same time?)

Oh maaaan. This would OWN !

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
Candy Kong should have replaced the Pig.

By the way, DKCR's boxart first popped up on like...September 1st. So I wonder if we can expect similar results for Tropical Freeze?

(I'm ready to see Enguarde on the front of that box, dammit!)

Candy Kong should have replaced the Pig.

Eh, I think the pig's mysterious nature is what gives him the flexibility to serve so many purposes. The tutorials, the checkpoints...if that was Candy, it'd make her seem too competent - and she's supposed to just be DK's dumb bimbo whore.

I just realized this thread has less than 300 replies. Goddamn, barely any excitement for this at all it seems.

Unlike Super Mario 3D World, this game's discussion has been spread out over like 10 different threads - in part because a lot of the early ones got locked.

(I blame Metroid fans.)

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
My bike is excite.

Not too much hype for Rayman either. But the games will speak for themselves. DKCR in particular, I mean...a sequel to one of the best platformers ever, on an HD platform for the first time, better controls, swimming levels and fucking David Wise? Sign me the fuck up
game of the year

EhoaVash

my excitement for Raymen legends has really diminished but the opposite had happened about Tropical Freeze. Which I loathed when I first saw the E3 trailer, but just recently I looked at more gameplay vids from offscreen footage and now I'm really looking forward to this game a lot. IDK about you guys, but from the videos, the game looks really good visually, aside from the E3 trailer it self.

One thing I've been thinking about is that I'd really love to see the 3D dynamic camera used for things besides barrel blasting.

Imagine corkscrewing up an inclined plane in a minecart level with that camera following you...so many possibilities.

??? A minecart level with a corkscrew was playable at E3, and in the trailer. It wasn't inclined, but still very cool.

Top Bottom