• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze announced for WiiU

Nintendo have plenty of shitty studios which could have output a Donkey Kong platformer, they have an excess in 2D platformers as it is. Retro Studios are a very unique studio, to have them making another Donkey Kong is a cultural disaster.
Let me guess, you'd rather see a shooter, because that's so much less of an exploited genre, right?

I think you mean you aren't a fan of 2D platformers. Personally, I'm pleased as punch about more top tier dev teams making retail sidescrollers, and considering that they all but disappeared for multiple generations in a row because of the stigma people like you apparently attach to them I don't think the world's smallest violin would do service to how little I care about your frustration. You can get the "excess" of 2D platformers and get your shooter fix elsewhere.

Although I would have happily taken a 2D Metroid over another DKC.

Nintendo have plenty of shitty studios which could have output a Donkey Kong platformer, they have an excess in 2D platformers as it is. Retro Studios are a very unique studio, to have them making another Donkey Kong is a cultural disaster.

Ah, this argument again. Break down your assumptions:

1) Nintendo has a copious supply of "shitty studios" waiting to be handed an important mascot project. (No)
2) Any crappy studio could make a Donkey Kong platformer, which also implies that Donkey Kong platformers, particularly Returns, are crappy. (No)
3) Fans of Returns didn't want a sequel. (No)
4) Fans of Returns wanted some other "shitty studio" to make their sequel. (No)
5) Retro had no choice but to do another Donkey Kong game. (No)
6) Retro will have no opportunity to make any other Wii U games after Tropical Freeze. (No)

Do you see how silly this argument is? Having Retro make a sequel to a popular game is, as far as anyone can guess, the best immediate business decision Nintendo could have made. And for Wii U owners, it will be, what? The third major retail platformer on the system (NSMBU and Rayman predating it)? That's hardly lavish.

Another Retro-made Metroid game or an original IP would have been cool, and there's nothing to stop either of those from happening after this year, but there's also nothing wrong with Retro continuing to build on the assets and experience it developed with Returns to make another excellent platformer.

daakusedo

So can it really be more than five months since your last released game to know what the next one will be? Or it really is just Tanabe giving a non answer?

Conor 419

Banned
Let me guess, you'd rather see a shooter, because that's so much less of an exploited genre, right?

Of course, and yes absolutely. The FPS is a far younger genre which allows for significantly more creative freedom. What is it exactly creatively dashing about DKR? It's a solid game don't get me wrong, but it''s not exactly the second coming of Super Mario World.

I think you mean you aren't a fan of 2D platformers

I love 2D platformers.

Personally, I'm pleased as punch about more top tier dev teams making retail sidescrollers

Good for you!

and considering that they all but disappeared for multiple generations in a row because of the stigma people like you apparently attach to them I don't think the world's smallest violin would do service to how little I care about your frustration.

Again a disastrous assumption. If these games were genuinely the forefront of the legacy Nintendo left in the SNES era, I'd be all over them. They are not.

You can get the "excess" of 2D platformers and get your shooter fix elsewhere

Oh excellent. Please point me to the Nintendo studios developing non Mario/Zelda games which are RTS/FPS/TPS/WRPG/Sports titles which the Wii U needs?

I think you mean you aren't a fan of 2D platformers. Personally, I'm pleased as punch about more top tier dev teams making retail sidescrollers, and considering that they all but disappeared for multiple generations in a row because of the stigma people like you apparently attach to them I don't think the world's smallest violin would do service to how little I care about your frustration. You can get the "excess" of 2D platformers and get your shooter fix elsewhere.

Although I would have happily taken a 2D Metroid over another DKC.

I agree and add:

It's because of that way of thinking, mainly from the new generation of gamers, that we rarely see big devs producing quality platformers (really, besides Nintendo and Ubi with their Rayman, what other big names are doing the same?). The same goes for games with colorful enviroments.

I think that people that buys Nintendo consoles expect to play lots of quality platformers on that console, besides all the other games.

And yeah... new sidescroll Metroidvania would blow my mind

Conor 419

Banned
Ah, this argument again. Break down your assumptions:

1) Nintendo has a copious supply of "shitty studios" waiting to be handed an important mascot project. (No)
2) Any crappy studio could make a Donkey Kong platformer, which also implies that Donkey Kong platformers, particularly Returns, are crappy. (No)
3) Fans of Returns didn't want a sequel. (No)
4) Fans of Returns wanted some other "shitty studio" to make their sequel. (No)
5) Retro had no choice but to do another Donkey Kong game. (No)
6) Retro will have no opportunity to make any other Wii U games after Tropical Freeze. (No)

Do you see how silly this argument is? Having Retro make a sequel to a popular game is, as far as anyone can guess, the best immediate business decision Nintendo could have made. And for Wii U owners, it will be, what? The third major retail platformer on the system (NSMBU and Rayman predating it)? That's hardly lavish.

Another Retro-made Metroid game or an original IP would have been cool, and there's nothing to stop either of those from happening after this year, but there's also nothing wrong with Retro continuing to build on the assets and experience it developed with Returns to make another excellent platformer.

Counter Assumption A: Use of 'shitty' did not actually mean 'shitty'. Drastic misinterpretation on your behalf,

1. Use the DKCR port team/Yarn Yoshi Team/Epic Yarn Team
2. (They could)
3. See 1
4. The vast majority wouldn't have cared
5. They were given two choices, both largely the wrong ones.
6. Irrelevant at this point of time.

Making a sequel to a high selling game is not a ridiculous choice. I just question that no other team could have made a sequel which at least was on par with the first title. Would it have mattered if it was slightly worse? As long as standards were solid the the name alone would have did the game as much favour if another studio had made it, meanwhile Retro could have made something more appropriate for their talents.

Having Retro make a sequel to a popular game is, as far as anyone can guess, the best immediate business decision Nintendo could have made.

Not really. There's too little that differentiates this game from the port that just came out on a much more attractive platform and it competes with two other high profile platformers (and nothing else of significance) within the same time frame, not to mention all the other platformers that will be out by then.
A unique action adventure like Prime would have helped the reception of the console much more, regardless of lesser sales in the past. Looking at it as a business decision from that point of view leads to the pathetic lineup this winter, that turns the WiiU into an overpriced 3DS, that also happens to completely lack the diversity of the 3DS and also has no unique features to offer - DK also will clearly not use the gamepad in any significant way, which could have happened with a different project. Like Prime 3 which was ,,just a sequel'' but the benefits of the Wiimote for it were obvious the second it was unveiled.
DK (and the rest of the lineup) in this form only offer experiences that are also on superior/cheaper platforms. It's a very shallow business decision, which is the reason the WiiU rightfully does so terrible right now. It doesn't matter if you've got big sellers like Call of Duty, Assassines Creed, etc on paper, if in reality it's the same shit you can get elsewhere. Same goes for NSMB, which was a new game, but it did absolutely nothing to feel fresh. DK also hardly shows any improvements that would justify a 350$ machine, while other projects could have finally given this console somewhat of an identity and show off a generational leap (which right now isn't happening until Mario Kart...)

It's also funny how the best thing some of the defense force can do is constantly jump to the conclusion that all people wanted a shooter from Retro...

The_Lump

Banned

Do you honestly think a "shitty studio" could make a game like Donkey Kong Country though? DKCR is a masterpiece. 2D platformers of that calibur, whether they are to your taste or not, do not somehow require less skill to make.

edit: Shitty doesn't mean shitty. Gotcha ;)

Conor 419

Banned
Do you honestly think a "shitty studio" could make a game like Donkey Kong Country though? DKCR is a masterpiece. 2D platformers of that calibur, whether they are to your taste or not, do not somehow require less skill to make.

I think Nintendo have enough experience in the genre to be able to successfully guide any of their 2D platforming teams into making a satisfying sequel, yes.

It's not a masterpiece, don't be ridiculous.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Not really. There's too little that differentiates this game from the port that just came out on a much more attractive platform and it competes with two other high profile platformers (and nothing else of significance) within the same time frame, not to mention all the other platformers that will be out by then.
A unique action adventure like Prime would have helped the reception of the console much more, regardless of lesser sales in the past. Looking at it as a business decision from that point of view leads to the pathetic lineup this winter, that turns the WiiU into an overpriced 3DS, that also happens to completely lack the diversity of the 3DS and also has no unique features to offer - DK also will clearly not use the gamepad in any significant way, which could have happened with a different project. Like Prime 3 which was ,,just a sequel'' but the benefits of the Wiimote for it were obvious the second it was unveiled.
DK (and the rest of the lineup) in this form only offer experiences that are also on superior/cheaper platforms. It's a very shallow business decision, which is the reason the WiiU rightfully does so terrible right now. It doesn't matter if you've got big sellers like Call of Duty, Assassines Creed, etc on paper, if in reality it's the same shit you can get elsewhere. Same goes for NSMB, which was a new game, but it did absolutely nothing to feel fresh. DK also hardly shows any improvements that would justify a 350$ machine, while other projects could have finally given this console somewhat of an identity and show off a generational leap (which right now isn't happening until Mario Kart...)

It's also funny how the best thing some of the defense force can do is constantly jump to the conclusion that all people wanted a shooter from Retro...
People with a 3DS don't need a 3DS they already own one. They need the platform that has the superior sequel versions of the games they already love = Donkey Kong, not Metroïd. It makes the most business sense, no matter how I may have preferred a game as ahead of its time as Metroïd Prime was.

Conor 419

Banned
Good, I'm glad that's resolved.

To the point at hand, I'm not sure why people are so antagonistic to Nintendo developing an FPS.

Good, I'm glad that's resolved.

To the point at hand, I'm not sure why people are so antagonistic to Nintendo developing an FPS.

Because there's a million of them already and we honestly don't need more of them. Every other publisher is producing them. It's like asking for more superhero movies.

Overall, high-quality platformers are not that common. They're certainly more common on Nintendo hardware, but it's not like the industry is lousy with 'em like FPS games.

Conor 419

Banned
Because there's a million of them already and we honestly don't need more of them. Every other publisher is producing them. It's like asking for more superhero movies.

Overall, high-quality platformers are not that common. They're certainly more common on Nintendo hardware, but it's not like the industry is lousy with 'em like FPS games.

Wow, what a stunningly cynical interpretation of the FPS genre. You're suggesting that

A| Nintendo couldn't make an FPS which is genuinely innovative (and you're a fan, apparently)
B| All FPS games are inherently bad

Also, the Wii U isn't exactly a typical representation of the gaming landscape. The number of 2D platformers on Nintendo's systems overwhelms the number of shooters, and considering how popular that genre is, don't you deem it sensible for Nintendo to sacrifice [one 2D platformer in favour of something different?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Man this is the only game that might push me and buy WiiU cause I love DKC.
This is pretty telling. I read previews that made me confident Retro can produce a masterpiece of a 2D platformer.

Wii U needs bankable mascots and games great enough they act as system sellers. Thus Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze.

This is a version of the NSMB argument. I think there is a fundamental lack of respect in communities like this with games like that, thus people asking Miyamoto seriously about if NSMBW deserves to be a retail game.

2D platformers as good as NSMBW, U, and DKCR are not a dime a dozen, and honestly, the fact that Nintendo is not afraid to put their top shelf studios on those kinds of games makes me super happy. Honestly, I have some friends that played the shit out of DKCR and NSMBW and can't handle 3D anything.

So without more of these games we wouldn't be able to keep on MPing it up.

GC|Simon

Where is the problem with Retro working on another Donkey Kong? Have all those people who complain about that even played Retuns? Returns is a beast, not just one of the best Wii games, it's one of the best games ever in its genre.

Yes, it's really not that hard to understand.

Using one word with an obvious denotation and then claiming that you are actually referring to some obscure connotation is not exactly a good way to communicate. If you say "shitty," people will likely assume you mean "crappy, bad, poor, worthless" and that was certainly qualified by the rest of your statement. If you meant something else (and what else could you mean, honestly), then you might want to choose different words that don't lead people to misunderstand you.

Wow, what a stunningly cynical interpretation of the FPS genre. You're suggesting that

A| Nintendo couldn't make an FPS which is genuinely innovative (and you're a fan, apparently)

Also, the Wii U isn't exactly a typical representation of the gaming landscape. The number of 2D platformers on Nintendo's systems overwhelms the number of shooters, and considering how popular that genre is, don't you deem it sensible for Nintendo to sacrifice [one 2D platformer in favour of something different?

Ironically, it seems like you totally misinterpreted that poster's point. S/he is merely saying that the market is currently saturated (or in some people's views, oversaturated) with first-person shooters, and thus it's questionable as to what Nintendo stands to gain by trying to devote a huge project to capturing that market, regardless of how they might innovate in the genre. And there was nothing said about all FPS games being bad, only that there's a lot of them - obviously some good, some bad.

You're also assuming that just because the FPS genre is popular, that people would naturally flock to an FPS made by Nintendo or on a Nintendo platform, or that that game would automatically perform better than one of their platformers. There's a lot of market and cultural factors that render such an assumption questionable, if not erroneous. It might be interesting for Nintendo pursue such a project, and maybe one of their teams will, but it's really unknown how much they stand to gain from entering such a highly competitive space, especially compared to platformers, which they understand very well.

In short, I don't think most people are antagonistic to Nintendo making a FPS (not attached to the Metroid brand, anyway, because obviously that only has so much appeal to the FPS crowd). But the sentiment your average Call of Duty player maintains toward Nintendo as a company and as a brand would make apparent the difficulties of them reaching that market. And given how many other companies are producing such games, Nintendo's logic is pretty clear: why potentially waste millions of dollars experimenting in a genre we have minimal experience in and that many other developers already succeed in, when there's no clear indication that the majority of consumers want such a game from us?

edit: WiiredShawn gets it. Good man.

Your reading comprehension is fucking terrible if that's what you got from what I said. Jesus.

I do like FPS games. I enjoy several of them. I'm not itching for more of them when they already release like 50 of them a year. FPS games obviously aren't Nintendo's core competency. There are many types of games I'd love to see them try, but FPS isn't one of them. That market is fucking saturated.

Not to mention that to compete in that area, you need teams of several hundred working for quite a good long while. And even then it's far from a sure thing -- you'll get a lot of Medal of Honors on the way. Or games like TimeSplitters which are interesting but ignored because they're note conventional enough.

Additionally, with such a competitive market, to get attention FPS games often sell largely on graphics -- not exactly Wii U's strong suit. Was anybody paying attention to The Conduit, or hell, even GoldenEye on Wii? I loved GoldenEye but it wasn't going to set the world on fire because it's outside the CoD/Battlefield scope of interest.

Nintendo also doesn't have any licensed sports games. Maybe Nintendo should make those as well? Also, they don't have a realistic racing game to compete with the likes of Forza and Gran Turismo. Better get them on that!

No, I deem it sensible for Nintendo to fix their fucking third-party relations so they get the games from publishers who are already making those titles, same day with same content. That way you get the games others are making as well as a quality list of games others AREN'T making.

I believe Retro when they said they specifically chose to work on Tropical Freeze. You can't blame them for wanting to work on the game that will likely be one of the top selling games on the console this holiday season. It's one of Nintendo's bigger selling franchises presently (as evident by the previous game), so I'm sure they wanted to make a game that would sell well as their first HD Wii U game. If they had worked on a new Metroid game, the budget likely would have been much higher and it would have bombed to all hell in my opinion. Just look at Corruption's average level of sales on the Wii which was selling miles better than the Wii U currently is for further evidence of this.

DKCR:TF is a quick way to pump out a game using assets they already had, on top of that Retro wanted to do this sequel, which isn't very hard to believe considering the amount of love they put into the first game.

Like alot of people I am a little disappointing that Retro isn't tackling another genre/IP but I'd rather them make this than another 3D Metroid, which would have meant less chance of a 2D Metroid happening.

javac

Donkey Kong is King of the jungle.

DKCR was awesome as fuck.

DKC:TF is also going to be awesome as fuck.

End.

dEvAnGeL

i will buy a Wii U for this if the game turn out to be as good as it looks, thing is, after rayman origins i became really picky about that type of platformers and rayman legends is looking ever better, time will tell

Tagg9

In my mind, it boils down to the fact that Retro's skillset is not being taken advantage of.

There are A TON of internal teams at Nintendo that are great at making platformers; however, they lack developers with experience making large blockbuster productions (like first-person shooters). Retro has a lot of expertise in this area after the Prime series.

Similar to Naughty Dog, I suspect Retro could make a great game in any genre. But it would be like Naughty Dog moving back to Crash Bandicoot after Uncharted. Would it be a great game? Absolutely. But it doesn't fulfill expectations.

Donkey Kong is King of the jungle.

DKCR was awesome as fuck.

DKC:TF is also going to be awesome as fuck.

End.

Pretty much this. Let's just relish the good times and look forward to the future.

In my mind, it boils down to the fact that Retro's skillset is not being taken advantage of.

There are A TON of internal teams at Nintendo that are great at making platformers; however, they lack developers with experience making large blockbuster productions (like first-person shooters). Retro has a lot of expertise in this area after the Prime series.

Similar to Naughty Dog, I suspect Retro could make a great game in any genre. But it would be like Naughty Dog moving back to Crash Bandicoot after Uncharted. Would it be a great game? Absolutely. But it doesn't fulfill expectations.

We can debate whether Retro's skillset is being fully utilized - although honestly, how could we ever truly assess their competency on the level of individual employee talents? - but that still misses the bigger picture for Nintendo. 1) We're assuming all people who worked on Prime are still at Retro and could lend their FPS expertise, which is already untrue. 2) We're assuming that if they DID make an FPS for the Wii U, that it would be a more profitable use of talent than Tropical Freeze, and there is virtually no data to validate such an assumption. As timetokill pointed out, you can make a good-quality FPS without it becoming profitable or famous; the market is just so competitive and saturated that standing out, even with a solid game, is difficult. Naturally, Nintendo has a brand reputation and marketing dollars behind it, but who's to say that the market would respond? How many people would potentially take an interest in the game only to bemoan its presence on the Wii U and thus ignore it because it's not the platform their friends are on? (remembering, too, that FPS gamers tend to be very socially-oriented.) How many people would just shirk the game simply because it came from Nintendo? And what says that a solidly constructed FPS is going to become the "next best thing" in that genre? There are way more questions at play here than just "what's the best use of Retro's supposed talent?"

No one at EAD makes platformers like DKC though. If they could, Retro wouldn't be on it, Its not like Nintendo just acquired Retro to make DKC, they've had them for years. Besides, letting Retro branch out to other genres is a wiser move than making them do FPS forever.

That analogy doesn't work either, Retro went from Prime > DKCR, not the other way around.

Velcro Fly

Game looks really good. I'm like the original that I'm playing on the 3DS. Think this one will be better yet. I do hope for more animal buddies too.

Shiggy

That's it. They had it back then. But do they still have that expertise nowadays?

Game looks really good. I'm like the original that I'm playing on the 3DS. Think this one will be better yet. I do hope for more animal buddies too.
Watch as Nintendo adds some gimmick to justify a 3DS port later down the road, oh what the hell they're gonna port it either way.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

I have to wonder though. What if Naughty Dog wanted to make Crash Bandicoot? Would they not be allowed by the Fanboy Police, because Crash would be "beneath" them?

I'm speaking apart from market concerns and what software a platform "needs" at the moment. Just a question of principle.

Conor 419

Banned
I do like FPS games. I enjoy several of them. I'm not itching for more of them when they already release like 50 of them a year. FPS games obviously aren't Nintendo's core competency. There are many types of games I'd love to see them try, but FPS isn't one of them. That market is fucking saturated.

FPS would be a personal preference of mine, as I've always wanted to see them make one. The point still stands however that Nintendo could have got Retro to make various genres, a 2D platformer is the last thing Nintendo needs right now from a team of their talent.

Not to mention that to compete in that area, you need teams of several hundred working for quite a good long while. And even then it's far from a sure thing -- you'll get a lot of Medal of Honors on the way.

So?

I doubt Nintendo would put out anything as bad as MoH, it's Nintendo.

Additionally, with such a competitive market, to get attention FPS games often sell largely on graphics

Absolutely untrue. CoD and Halo are the most successful FPS IP, they are also amongst the weakest FPS games graphically.

Was anybody paying attention to The Conduit, or hell, even GoldenEye on Wii? I loved GoldenEye but it wasn't going to set the world on fire because it's outside the CoD/Battlefield scope of interest.

Goldeneye sold well iirc. The Conduit didn't because it was terrible.

Nintendo also doesn't have any licensed sports games. Maybe Nintendo should make those as well? Also, they don't have a realistic racing game to compete with the likes of Forza and Gran Turismo. Better get them on that!

Absolutely.

No, I deem it sensible for Nintendo to fix their fucking third-party relations so they get the games from publishers who are already making those titles, same day with same content. That way you get the games others are making as well as a quality list of games others AREN'T making.

But Nintendo have never fixed their first party relations, and probably wont for a long time.

I think many people would be very happy. And I'd be pleasantly surprised.

It'd probably be a good game, but there's no doubt that many people would initially feel it's "beneath" them as a developer. People, especially the young people who are so vocal in these scenarios, seem to instinctively feel that anything made in the past was "cheaper" and "easier" to make, thus returning to it in the present is somehow a "waste." It's the "appeal to novelty" enacted on a mass scale, really.

It'd probably be a good game, but there's no doubt that many people would initially feel it's "beneath" them as a developer. People, especially the young people who are so vocal in these scenarios, seem to instinctively feel that anything made in the past was "cheaper" and "easier" to make, thus returning to it in the present is somehow a "waste." It's the "appeal to novelty" enacted on a mass scale, really.

and yet many want them to do another Metroid/FPS kind of game, even though they they've three of the damn things and called it a day several years ago

Kurtofan

"a cultural disaster" oh boy.

Are all the threads for this game going to be ruined by this kind of crap?

I have to wonder though. What if Naughty Dog wanted to make Crash Bandicoot? Would they not be allowed by the Fanboy Police, because Crash would be "beneath" them?

I'm speaking apart from market concerns and what software a platform "needs" at the moment. Just a question of principle.

I would buy a PS4 right away if ND made a new Crash or if IG made a new Spyro... if only.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
At this point I find the continued insistence by many that Nintendo should make the next COD, Gran Turismo, etc, as if that's "obvious", very weird. As is the notion that Nintendo is somehow dumb and blind for not having seen this years ago.

It's almost as if some people don't consider different developers, and publishers with owned studios, have different strengths and weaknesses. Should Nintendo for example, really spend tens of millions and redesign a large part of their development culture in order to make a Gran Turismo-alike? Would that make a difference, when most people who wanted Gran Turismo or Forza are already buying those games on PS and Xbox?

Naturally, if Nintendo must mostly support a platform themselves they do need a variety of software. That doesn't necessarily mean dutifully copying one of every currently popular game from various genres. If I need Gran Turismo I'll buy a Playstation and play the real thing. I wonder if that is in reality how most people think.

and yet many want them to do another Metroid/FPS kind of game, even though they they've three of the damn things and called it a day several years ago

The rule of the days seems to be: if I'm a huge fan of this game/genre they should be making that above everything. If I'm not so big a fan, they shouldn't waste their time.

Basic selfishness, perfectly human. But it may not acknowledge a bigger picture.

Urko

Neo Member
Nintendo have plenty of shitty studios which could have output a Donkey Kong platformer.

Putting a "shitty" studio on Donkey Kong would probably yield a "shitty" game. If you think it is easy to design a platformer on the level of a DKCR you would be wrong.

Kurtofan

I love that people complain about Retro making another DK game, but then people shit on Nintendo for letting Artoon makes another Yoshi platformer.Which is it?

Top Bottom