• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom 3 BFG edition. Anyone excited for this?

WTF is this shit. I'm paying on 360 everything is fine until I get to the communications maintenance area, then I start getting slowdown, I go up the lift a door opens and now I'm getting 2fps until the console freezes. I can reload earlier saves and the same thing happens over and over again. Has this occurred for anyone else? The game is literally unplayable at this point, I've never seen anything like this before.

You have it installed? Perhaps try installing it if not? Yeah did not have this issue either.

Sojgat

I had it installed on my slim 360, so I tried uninstalling it, same results.

Reproduced the exact same thing on my old Elite console also.

So it seems the problem is created from some unique set of circumstances with my save, the auto save is also no good, because it's only 5 minutes earlier and the same thing happens.

I spent around 4 hours getting to this point and I'm not starting again if something similar is going to happen.

It's around the area where you have to drive the lift around, 2 doors open at once, a main door and a monster closet with a soldier inside. The framerate drops to nothing then the game locks up.

Edit: So I googled it, and some people on other forums are having similar issues with the 360 version freezing consistently in certain areas.

daedalius

So they don't take the flashlight away in Hell anymore.

Kinda lame seeing imps pop out of nothingness and attack you from what should be a totally shadowed corner.

Sojgat

Yeah, no way to get through this part without the game crashing, good work id, thanks again.

I was really enjoying it as well, guess I'll play something else:(

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I had it installed on my slim 360, so I tried uninstalling it, same results.

Reproduced the exact same thing on my old Elite console also.

So it seems the problem is created from some unique set of circumstances with my save, the auto save is also no good, because it's only 5 minutes earlier and the same thing happens.

I spent around 4 hours getting to this point and I'm not starting again if something similar is going to happen.

It's around the area where you have to drive the lift around, 2 doors open at once, a main door and a monster closet with a soldier inside. The framerate drops to nothing then the game locks up.

Edit: So I googled it, and some people on other forums are having similar issues with the 360 version freezing consistently in certain areas.
It seems the comparison with Silent Hill HD Collection wasn't that wrong, now.

WTF is this shit. I'm paying on 360 everything is fine until I get to the communications maintenance area, then I start getting slowdown, I go up the lift a door opens and now I'm getting 2fps until the console freezes. I can reload earlier saves and the same thing happens over and over again. Has this occurred for anyone else? The game is literally unplayable at this point, I've never seen anything like this before.

I got past that area and didn't have any issue. Suck to be you right now I guess...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So they don't take the flashlight away in Hell anymore.

Kinda lame seeing imps pop out of nothingness and attack you from what should be a totally shadowed corner.

Haha. BFG may not be a "lazy" re-release, but it's certainly a misguided one. Even after all these years I've yet to put much time into Doom 3 (although I plan to change that soon), but what I've gleaned is that the game was designed around the limitation of not being able to use your flashlight in conjunction with a weapon, and that has now been lifted with no corresponding changes to the game proper. Combine that with other contentious changes, such as the marked increase in ammo scattered about the game world, and you have an end product that is not quite the definitive version it should have been.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It seems the comparison with Silent Hill HD Collection wasn't that wrong, now.
Hmmm...I think that's a bit harsh.

A crashing bug is not a good thing but it doesn't have anything on the legions of problems present in Silent Hill HD.

Why is the game randomly running at 9 fps on my PC in slow motion? The strange thing is that this happened to me once already when first booting the game. Changed some settings and restarted the game, then it was fine (60fps locked). Not it is my second time running the game and it is stuck with this messy framerate. Any idea what is going on? Did not find anything.

Mmph, finally i jumped the gun, and i´m playing the ps3 version, i can confirm now that there´s tearing in some situations, mainly in busy places with several light sources and enemies, if you try to strafe and look around, some frames tear, but the game is a good port overall, 60fps is a blessing.

By the way, i had to tone down the brightness in the game options, the damn flashlight is too bright, you can´t see shit sometimes because some surface reflections blind you, and for those worried about the lack of darkness, there are still plenty of shadows, looks like if they just turned up the contrast, dark corners and shadows are so damn dark, and bright places sometimes even too bright, is kinda weird, as i said before, turning down the brightness setting helps a lot.

Mmph, finally i jumped the gun, and i´m playing the ps3 version, i can confirm now that there´s tearing in some situations, mainly in busy places with several light sources and enemies, if you try to strafe and look around, some frames tear, but the game is a good port overall, 60fps is a blessing.

By the way, i had to tone down the brightness in the game options, the damn flashlight is too bright, you can´t see shit sometimes because some surface reflections blind you, and for those worried about the lack of darkness, there are still plenty of shadows, looks like if they just turned up the contrast, dark corners and shadows are so damn dark, and bright places sometimes even too bright, is kinda weird, as i said before, turning down the brightness setting helps a lot.

Yup. They did exactly that: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=43298661&postcount=980

Why is the game randomly running at 9 fps on my PC in slow motion? The strange thing is that this happened to me once already when first booting the game. Changed some settings and restarted the game, then it was fine (60fps locked). Not it is my second time running the game and it is stuck with this messy framerate. Any idea what is going on? Did not find anything.

Maybe check #1 here http://segmentnext.com/2012/10/16/d...s-freezes-fov-graphics-fixes-and-dev-console/

2scoops

The "improved" lighting system really does clash with the complete lack of ambient occlusion.

Yes. I pretty much thought the same thing. However, i am enjoying the nostalgia. Brings me back, i forgot how much i liked Doom.

On another note, and way off topic, who is the woman in your avatar? Please and thank you.

JaseC

Yes. I pretty much thought the same thing. However, i am enjoying the nostalgia. Brings me back, i forgot how much i liked Doom.

I finally got around to downloading and installing sikkmod and the two recommended texture packs, so I'm looking forward to finally completing the game after all these years.

On another note, and way off topic, who is the woman in your avatar? Please and thank you.

Irish actress Saoirse Ronan.

Tess3ract

Banned
A brightly lit DOOM 3 might as well be a completely different game.

The game itself sucks generally, it's all about the atmosphere (especially as seen by things like sikkmod), so once you remove that, it's basically baby's first shooter so...

2scoops

I finally got around to downloading and installing sikkmod and the two recommended texture packs, so I'm looking forward to finally completing the game after all these years.

That mod looks pretty slick. Makes me wish i had it on pc, but i picked up the ps3 version. My pc can barely run Bejeweled 3.

And thanks for her name, she's a pretty lady.

dark10x

A brightly lit DOOM 3 might as well be a completely different game.

The game itself sucks generally, it's all about the atmosphere (especially as seen by things like sikkmod), so once you remove that, it's basically baby's first shooter so...
They didn't remove the atmosphere, though. The dark areas are still dark. It's not as if they eliminated shadows in areas where they were originally placed.

Sikkmod brightens things up too compared to the original.

GrayFoxPL

First time playing D3 and it kinda sucks :\. Hope those expansions are better.

On the plus side the multi is pretty darn good. Oh and Doom1&2 ports are sweetness! Added rumble to super shotgun almost blows the pad from hands! :D

Btw. Does anyone know where I can get the art from PS3 xmb splash screen? It's so fucking good!

A patch for the PC version will put options for FoV and flashlight shadows (although the id dude thinks it looks bad, and initially he said they might just put a cvar for it, it seems they are adding it as a proper option to the menu). Also they are working on fixing the blood/particle problems.

Flashlight shadows just adds a weird black border around things: http://t.co/vCNAhgVQ

Flashlight shadows look like ass, but we're adding the option anyway. http://t.co/mpHSKzEk

@idBrianHarris Brian, thanks for bringing Doom 3 BFG to consoles, but I was wondering if you were going to patch the glitches reported?

@DecayedKrist We're working on a patch. I saw your post on the bethsoft forums. Thanks for pointing out the blood/particle problems.

https://twitter.com/idBrianHarris

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
A patch for the PC version will put options for FoV and flashlight shadows (although the id dude thinks it looks bad, and initially he said they might just put a cvar for it, it seems they are adding it as a proper option to the menu). Also they are working on fixing the blood/particle problems.

Good to know. Although I never once complained about the flashlight mechanic from the original, I actually prefer it the old way.

Sucks for me as I lost several of my Doom 3 discs and it is no longer available on steam.

That said, having 3D, Gamepad, and Oculus support should make up for most of what was lost.

Tess3ract

Banned

That dude's playing on a 486.

Also what's wrong with the shadows other than the fact they're blocky?

hlhbk

I got Doom 3 working with Sikkmod and wolfens texture pack. I will never go back to BFG. Here are some screens:

c44dc543bc41ce0264c0f19e4d892b1e614bf96f.jpg

902b918606489be0e7daa341b345da8b88948e1e.jpg

5e50894836f2bcc32d4239bc78dbec402e72ff4d.jpg

22c1054c4200606cf8f4db732341a6c54e9717be.jpg

TUROK

Sikkmod looks mighty nice, but it took me an hour of playing with it to realize that I wasn't enjoying the game more with it, because it was the exact same thing, except it looked nicer now.

While I'm impressed with the results achieved by Sikkmod, I think the game looks absolutely awful all colorful like that. Totally wrong for Doom 3.

While I'm impressed with the results achieved by Sikkmod, I think the game looks absolutely awful all colorful like that. Totally wrong for Doom 3.

Yeah, there are literally no colors added at all. It just enhanced them. There are also a multitude of filters that can be applied with Sikkmod via in game options menu that can do a bunch of different things(film grain, etc.)
It doesn't add any colors, it just enhances them

They wouldn't pop as much if the guy was using DOF.

DOF adds a lot that's for sure.

NBtoaster

Now I think about it, it is lame that the pc BFG version of Doom 1 and 2 don't have co op/mp. Because the supplied wad files are different from the originals you can't use them to play in the mp source ports unless you only play with people who are both use that iwad and port, which will be an extreme minority.

hlhbk

Yeah, there are literally no colors added at all. It just enhanced them. There are also a multitude of filters that can be applied with Sikkmod via in game options menu that can do a bunch of different things(film grain, etc.)

DOF adds a lot that's for sure.

I can't stand DOF that is why its off in those screenshots.

Kolgar

After about four hours of futzing, I finally got Sikkmod to work on my original retail version of Doom 3. Maaaan, what was old is brand new again! It looks amazing with the motion blur, depth of field, and parallax occlusion (for dimensional textures).

I'm loving this playthrough even more than my first time back in 2004. I think now I better understand and appreciate the vision the designers had in mind--and it's fantastic.

There's a reason the Dead Space games are the way they are. The first one especially is a total homage to Doom 3 (and RE4).

At any rate, I'm glad for the BFG release as it's rekindled my interest in Doom 3 and given me the opportunity to enjoy it for all it's worth. Great stuff!

Edit: Yeah, the settings allow for a good variety of color schemes. Just happened across this YouTube video that illustrates the point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZvJOw7NRd4

commissar

I set a minimal DOF for when I'm reloading, as the gun is in focus during that time.
As I recall it can also be set for use with the screens as well, but I didn't like that.

DOF during normal gameplay however is genuinely stupid.

A bunch of Carmack's tweets:

@idSoftware @ID_AA_Carmack Suggestion for a future Doom 3 BFG update: Map/level-select-menu. Nice to replay some certain parts of the game!

@anoniempje1979 @idSoftware I really wanted a level select menu, it is my biggest regret for BFG. There were questions about console TCRs.

...and the PC version had to "suffer" as well. *sigh*

@ID_AA_Carmack How are you going to release BFG code without a BFG map editor? Or does BFG include the editor somewhere I don't know about?

@Kato The original Doom 3 code was used for all map editing. That code is already on github.

@DanielsonFanSF There are lots of dynamic shadows. The shoulder flashlight origin was so close the the view the shadows looked bad.

@ID_AA_Carmack For the love of god allow faster turning with a circular deadzone and linear step acceleration.

@bleah3 What platform? "Linear step acceleration" parses like an oxymoron, can you be more specific or descriptive?

@ID_AA_Carmack It's a flawed aiming system and it's been like that since Rage. I may be able to give you actual data if you're interested.

@bleah3 looking at the code, I think you are correct. Doing acceleration scaling on the independent axis is clearly wrong. @bleah3 changing now may piss other people off, though. :-(

@ID_AA_Carmack Thanks for looking into this though and please consider revising it for your next project.

@bleah3 I appreciate the constructive input. I'm going to make some changes for internal testing, it might roll into a patch.

Dear @ID_AA_Carmack : I already own the original versions of Doom 1, 2, 3, and ROE. I was excited for BFG ed but many say its inferior. Why?

@N64iac On PC, if you don't have a 3D or 120hz monitor you might say "little better", but not "inferior". Brighter+more ammo is more fun.

A bunch of Carmack's tweets:

...and the PC version had to "suffer" as well. *sigh*

yay! so Carmack did think the flashlight shadows looked bad. i just psychically knew!
okay, no, i forgot which iD programmer said it.

i never mind when internet bitching gets options added to a game i like though. i've been over that since Criterion patched retry into burnout paradise.

I got Doom 3 working with Sikkmod and wolfens texture pack. I will never go back to BFG. Here are some screens:

c44dc543bc41ce0264c0f19e4d892b1e614bf96f.jpg

902b918606489be0e7daa341b345da8b88948e1e.jpg

5e50894836f2bcc32d4239bc78dbec402e72ff4d.jpg

22c1054c4200606cf8f4db732341a6c54e9717be.jpg

Your sikkmod config is pretty unimpressive man. No offense. You are not even using the soft shadows or some of the other really nice effects (AO, Flares, etc...)

dark10x

Your sikkmod config is pretty unimpressive man. No offense. You are not even using the soft shadows or some of the other really nice effects (AO, Flares, etc...)
Soft shadows absolutely murder performance without much gain (they don't quite look right). The hard edged stencil shadows are just a part of Doom 3. Soft shadows literally slice performance in half.

AO doesn't look any good either. I can use that without performance issues but it looks noisy and ugly with nearly every option.

Soft shadows absolutely murder performance without much gain (they don't quite look right). The hard edged stencil shadows are just a part of Doom 3. Soft shadows literally slice performance in half.

AO doesn't look any good either. I can use that without performance issues but it looks noisy and ugly with nearly every option.

You can tweak their bias and what not so they do fit right in scene quite nicely

hlhbk

All of those things murder performance. I would much rather be in the 40-50 FPS range with some stuff off than less than 30 with it on. I think it looks great the way I have it.

dark10x

You can tweak their bias and what not so they do fit right in scene quite nicely
They still absolutely destroy your framerate. I don't feel they bring enough to the table to warrant a 50% drop in performance. Honestly, soft shadows are one of the LEAST impressive upgrades available in Sikkmod.

Without soft shadows and SSAO I can achieve a flawless 60 fps even with a mild amount of SSAA applied. Enabling those features (especially shadows) drops me to 30 fps or lower. Not worth it especially when they don't look all that great.

This is how I'm running...

68603d6bdf3369f6965e414cda808dc574f77244.jpg

fc80c9860631b3812593c9b5e916459270c570ae.jpg

68f55fac12c7957de785c0440b50619d80d5caa0.jpg

hlhbk

They still absolutely destroy your framerate. I don't feel they bring enough to the table to warrant a 50% drop in performance. Honestly, soft shadows are one of the LEAST impressive upgrades available in Sikkmod.

Without soft shadows and SSAO I can achieve a flawless 60 fps even with a mild amount of SSAA applied. Enabling those features (especially shadows) drops me to 30 fps or lower. Not worth it especially when they don't look all that great.

Wish I could get 60 FPS. What are your specs? My FPS fluxuates randomly for no reason even in the menu screen.

JaseC

Would you mind posting your sikkmod settings? I've just installed it, as well as the texture mods, and your screenshots strike me as the ideal setup -- a great balance between modern visual trimmings and the dimness of the original.

Top Bottom