• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom 3 BFG edition. Anyone excited for this?

https://twitter.com/idBrianHarris/status/261118325210378241

@JagarTharn Doom 1 & 2 at 4:3 was done because we wanted an authentic experience. People would have complained if we changed anything.

notsureifsrs... (considering all the changes they DID make, for censoring reasons, but still..)

Personally I don't see how anyone would have complained that their Doom 1&2 copies can switch between 4:3 and 16:9 with an option setting, since apparently it wasn't that they didn't want to put any effort into this, it was that we would have complained (wut).

TUROK

https://twitter.com/idBrianHarris/status/261118325210378241

notsureifsrs... (considering all the changes they DID make, for censoring reasons, but still..)

Personally I don't see how anyone would have complained that their Doom 1&2 copies can switch between 4:3 and 16:9 with an option setting, since apparently it wasn't that they didn't want to put any effort into this, it was that we would have complained (wut).
Well, I know for a fact that people were crying foul when I said I used high-res texture packs for the original Dooms, so I don't doubt that statement.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Well, I know for a fact that people were crying foul when I said I used high-res texture packs for the original Dooms, so I don't doubt that statement.

Changing textures =/= changing aspect ratio.

Not everything is an affront to the artists original vision.

Tess3ract

Banned
Soft shadows absolutely murder performance without much gain (they don't quite look right). The hard edged stencil shadows are just a part of Doom 3. Soft shadows literally slice performance in half.

AO doesn't look any good either. I can use that without performance issues but it looks noisy and ugly with nearly every option.
All of those things make games look better, but for engines that don't support it because it tries to do the exact opposite such as this one, it destroys it.

Sikkmod is kind of brute forcing an already resource heavy shadow technique. Imagine the performance you'd get on dynamic soft shadows in skyrim with no mods. No go ahead. I'll wait.

Soft shadows was "highlighted" in FEAR, and they really are awesome, but there needs to be just basic shadows with AA on them. I think Serious Sam 3 and the HD versions do this.

TUROK

Soft shadows was "highlighted" in FEAR, and they really are awesome, but there needs to be just basic shadows with AA on them. I think Serious Sam 3 and the HD versions do this.
Serious Sam HD 1 and 2 and Serious Sam 3 use shadow maps. That's a whole different method of shadowing.

eXistor

I'm glad I gave Doom 3 another shot. I played it at release and I didn't really like it that much, but this time around I'm having a ball. It's far from perfect, but the game is very solid. Also nice to have Doom 1 and 2 on the disc.

Locke_211

It's clearly going for being a particular type of FPS that most really aren't, not any more at least. And it's utterly disinterested in any of the features that other types would revel in having. Mechanically and graphically I think it's amazing; you just have to totally buy into the sort of game it's interested in being.

I really like the audio logs. I like how they give a window into the day to day lives and are thus fairly mundane.

daedalius

So, the lost missions take about 2 hours to complete, fyi.

Was alright, got a lot more time in hell environments than original game. I think I've figured out I don't really care for monster-closets though; or incessantly teleporting in enemies.

More Carmack tweets:

@SirJonthe: @ID_AA_Carmack Does the BFG Edition (non-open source) still use Carmack's reverse?

@ID_AA_Carmack: @SirJonthe yes

Always thought that was the case. The way I am thinking of it, is that id has licensed one way or another to use that code, but we, the modders, have not, hence why it's only missing from the public source code release.

@ID_AA_Carmack: @fedyac The shoulder flashlight is the only option. Given all the flack we took, it is ironic that some people now pine for the original.

Options are not bad! I feel that the flashlight is useless anyway the way the game shipped (with r_overbright 2.0).

@NedjoK: @ID_AA_Carmack since I'm enjoying Quadbuffer 3D on #Radeon in #BFG can't help wondering would it be possible to patch #Rage to support it?

@ID_AA_Carmack: @NedjoK I would like to give Rage the HMD treatment, which gets stereoscopics as a byproduct, but it is unlikely there will be time for it.

What happened to Rage PC getting all kinds of experimental features via "Carmack's research engines".....

@sn0man1: @ID_AA_Carmack can we get the dynamic flashlight and lighting back in Doom3 BFG through a patch? (At least consider it for doom4?)

@ID_AA_Carmack: @sn0man1 the old flashlight is not coming back, but we are adding options for shadows from the flashlight and lighted missiles.

Good. Now maybe the game can look almost as good as it did 8 years ago! Oh wait. (Even if you believe the flashlight shadows are not very well done, removing this kind of things feels like a step back, and in the case of the lighted missiles it definitely is).

I got a chance to play a little bit of D3 BFG today, and well, I'm not sure why this exists. Except for some subtle lighting improvements there are barely any visual changes over the original to be able to tell the difference. It's been a few years since I've played D3 but whatever changes they made to the enemies wasnt enough to notice either. I'm sure someone could point out various differences to me and I would notice them, but they are so small that I wouldn't be able to notice otherwise. This could have been a great re-release if they would have used at the minimum vastly improved textures. But instead they are still using 2004 era textures. Really unfortunate as the textures were the worst visual aspect of the OG D3.

This pales in comparison to almost every other entry in the recent "HD remake" bonanza. Just compare the work put into this game with what was done with Halo anniversary. Worse yet the modding scene for the original D3 has put Carmack and company to absolute shame and makes this version look like nothing more than a cheap imitation and a desperate money grab.

catabarez

I got a chance to play a little bit of D3 BFG today, and well, I'm not sure why this exists. Except for some subtle lighting improvements there are barely any visual changes over the original to be able to tell the difference. It's been a few years since I've played D3 but whatever changes they made to the enemies wasnt enough to notice either. I'm sure someone could point out various differences to me and I would notice them, but they are so small that I wouldn't be able to notice otherwise. This could have been a great re-release if they would have used at the minimum vastly improved textures. But instead they are still using 2004 era textures. Really unfortunate as the textures were the worst visual aspect of the OG D3.

This pales in comparison to almost every other entry in the recent "HD remake" bonanza. Just compare the work put into this game with what was done with Halo anniversary. Worse yet the modding scene for the original D3 has put Carmack and company to absolute shame and makes this version look like nothing more than a cheap imitation and a desperate money grab.

Comparing this to Halo is a bit unfair. That what was remade from the ground up, not a fair comparison. This is much better then most other HD remakes.

Comparing this to Halo is a bit unfair. That what was remade from the ground up, not a fair comparison. This is much better then most other HD remakes.

In what way? What did they improve? The differences to the lighting are barely visible. The flashlight no longer casts shadows which was the most atmospheric graphical feature of OG D3. Motion blur would come in last place if you asked me what graphical improvements I would like to see in a re-release. Although they might have removed a few there are still monster closets.

It's the exact same game with motion blur and the brightness turned up a little.

catabarez

In what way? What did they improve? The differences to the lighting are barely visible. The flashlight no longer casts shadows which was the most atmospheric graphical feature of OG D3. Motion blur would come in last place if you asked me what I what graphical improvements I would like to see in a re-release. Although they might have removed a few there are still monster closets.

It's the exact same game with motion blur and the brightness turned up a little.

What about every other HD "remake"? Nothing is improved in those at all. I honestly don't understand where you're coming from if just higher res is usually the common practice.

I can understand why people who have the PC version absolutely hate the BFG version but I am pretty sure it is a known fact that this has been "made" for the console gamers who never played it on the PC or Xbox.

It is quite insane that ID completely removed the Doom 3 original version from Steam though.

abracadaver

The BFG version runs worse than vanilla doom 3 on my PC. How is that possible with less effects and those "optimizations" they made ?

It runs at 60fps most of the time but there are some slowdowns and tearing which didnt happen in the old version.

Deadbeat

Banned
This is much better then most other HD remakes.
upOYU.jpg

GreekWolf

Its missing coop. Also, the compression of the textures is much worse than the 2004 version on PC. Thats just stupid.

Honestly, I wish people would stop bringing up co-op. That was never part of the PC game, it was patched into the Xbox port by Vicarious Visions. Maybe there was a user mod that made it work on the PC version, but id software had nothing to do with it.

I do think it's a bit silly the BFG edition was even made available for PC gamers, as this package was clearly released for consoles.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Wait Doom 3 has COOP? Why did no one ever tell me!!

Only on the original Xbox 1 release.

Honestly, I wish people would stop bringing up co-op. That was never part of the PC game, it was patched into the Xbox port by Vicarious Visions. Maybe there was a user mod that made it work on the PC version, but id software had nothing to do with it.

I do think it's a bit silly the BFG edition was even made available for PC gamers, as this package was clearly released for consoles.

Vicarious might have developed the co-op, but it was still part of the Xbox package. It genuinely sucks that the BFG edition is missing it.

People would complain about it not being on the PC, especially with how id was advertising the changes/additions.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

But you can't mod BFG edition and you can't buy Doom 3 original anymore so going forwards new players can't get co-op on PC anymore.

Helscream

Banned
Dammit. I was actually kinda excited for this. Really lame that the textures apparently are lower res than the 2004 release. I'll wait for a price drop before I download it off PSN.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Anyone played Resurrection of Evil yet? I'm at the second boss and the heat isn't working any more. Means, it won't consume any more souls. Is this normal or a bug? I tried reloading a couple of times and it didn't do anything.

GreekWolf

People would complain about it not being on the PC, especially with how id was advertising the changes/additions.
I would agree with that, if id actually hinted that new features like co-op would be part of the package. As far as I know, they never suggested anything like that.

Heck, I'd like a scoop of delicious chocoate ice cream on my sizzling porterhouse steak, but it would be kind of silly for me to get angry at the restaurant for not delivering something they never promised.

I wholeheartedly agree that it was shady for Bethesda to yank the original game off Steam, and force PC gamers to buy a gimped edition.

Carnby

I'm probably the only person here playing Doom 1/2 from start to finish. I've noticed a few minor issues. PS3 version BTW.

Occasionally Imps and Shot Gun Guys shoot ate you through walls that have not been opened.

No sound effect when doors crush enemies.

The first few Pain Elementals did not shoot souls or release them when defeated. I thought the whole character was borked until I finally meet two who could.

KageMaru

Sorry for the bump but I was wondering if anyone who took advantage of the 360 version pricing error on Amazon can tell me when they received their copy?

According on amazon, the title should have been delivered between the 19-23 of this month, but according to FedEx tracking, it was delivered the 8th of August.

I had it set to ship to my work and there's a signature from someone in the mailroom. I never got the package and just realizing all this now, I don't have any hope in finding it. So I'd like to know how it shipped two months early.

Thanks in advance to any replies.

TheMan

Sorry for the bump but I was wondering if anyone who took advantage of the 360 version pricing error on Amazon can tell me when they received their copy?

According on amazon, the title should have been delivered between the 19-23 of this month, but according to FedEx tracking, it was delivered the 8th of August.

I had it set to ship to my work and there's a signature from someone in the mailroom. I never got the package and just realizing all this now, I don't have any hope in finding it. So I'd like to know how it shipped two months early.

Thanks in advance to any replies.

the package that was fedex'd in august was, inexplicably, a letter explaining the error they made and assuring that you'd get the game in october for the original price you paid. i, along with a couple of others who took advantage of the deal, received the game last friday. at least one other person who got the deal was still waiting for his copy as of saturday. if i were you, i'd email price pros and ask them directly when you should expect the package.

on another note, the machine gun is so damn puny. it hardly does any damage and doesn't have any oomph when you shoot it. piece of shit, really.

KageMaru

the package that was fedex'd in august was, inexplicably, a letter explaining the error they made and assuring that you'd get the game in october for the original price you paid. i, along with a couple of others who took advantage of the deal, received the game last friday. at least one other person who got the deal was still waiting for his copy as of saturday. if i were you, i'd email price pros and ask them directly when you should expect the package.

on another note, the machine gun is so damn puny. it hardly does any damage and doesn't have any oomph when you shoot it. piece of shit, really.

Hey thanks! =)

Honestly i have the normal version on steam and ive tried to play it multiple times and i just can seem to stay interested enough to get through it. So no, not excited.

catabarez

So I bought it. If anything I am enjoying the controller support for this game. It plays really well. The placement of the flashlight bugs me though.

Locke_211

Anyone played Resurrection of Evil yet? I'm at the second boss and the heat isn't working any more. Means, it won't consume any more souls. Is this normal or a bug? I tried reloading a couple of times and it didn't do anything.

Yeah, I finished Doom 3 so now am going through RoE and really enjoying it. Definitely cuts down the random ambushes, but seem to have ramped up the difficulty slightly in other ways so the tension isn't lost.

But to answer your point, I think that is a bug that other people on the bethsoft forums are talking about. I killed that boss last night (if it's the one by the
monorail
entrance) without that happening.

Dizzy

Banned
Got it today. The 3D just seems.....off. Anyone else experience this? I've played Killzone 3, sotc, hotd overkill and all are fine but this game looks weird in 3D.

Aside from that it seems really good so far. Bought it on pc a few years back but never put much time into it so I'm pretty much comparing this to the xbox version as that was the one I played through back in the day. This version is silky smooth compared to that, and it doesn't have the insane auto-aim either. Plus you dont have to squint to read the ammo counter on the gun. Very nice.

commissar

Got this last week on PC. The engine upgrades are actually pretty damn rad.
Faster loading, controller support, the 60hz resolution scaling if you need it (can be disabled if you don't), 120hz support, 3D stuff, the motion blur is nice.
Should have that texture pack soon after the source releases too (needs the coding for .bimages)

If you're on pc don't forget to add "+set com_skipintrovideos 1" to the steam launch options, because fuck intro videos :D

There's also "+set com_allowconsole 1" to enable the console (useful to test various options) though it'll disable achievements for doing so.

If you want to change some console options, but keep achievements there's the launch options in steam, or you can use:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\DOOM 3 BFG Edition\base\default.cfg

and then add:
seta g_fov "90/100/whatever up to 120 max"
seta g_showplayershadow "1"

etc.

Also this is another game where using the controller (PS3 Nav for me) and mouse at the same time works awesomely :D (though the UI will show controller symbols, but whatever).

edit: also set the brightness to minimum (or r_overbright 1) because goddamn. And the shoulder flashlight is seriously awful placement :S

jvm

Gamasutra.
Anyone on PS3 ever get connected to a quickmatch? I try every night for about 1-2 minutes waiting and nothing ever connects. :(

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
So this is $20 now on Amazon, and I'm considering picking it up.

For someone who's never played it before, has it stood the test of time well enough to be worth $20? I never would've considered it at $40. I'm a fan of id's games in general, as well as other first-person horror-ish games like Condemned and FEAR, if that's worth anything.

In my opinion, absolutely, especially if you're not coming in with original release baggage. It's still very pretty and the classic id gameplay is fully intact. Buy it without regrets.

Carnby

I'm all done with this game. I played through everything (PS3 version): Doom, Doom 2, Doom 3, ROE, and Lost Mission.

I loved it all. Doom 1 and 2 were just fine. I'm happy to finally have a console version that supports dual analog and has the complete content of the PC versions.

Doom 3 and ROE were good ports too, at least I assume they were, as I have never played them before. At moments I thought the graphics were impressive. The Lost Mission was bonus content really. It offered nothing new, but its Hell level was better than both Doom 3 and ROE's.

This was 30 dollars well spent. I don't agree with any of the complaints this thread had.

Seems a patch has been released, can now enable flashlight shadows, also noticed a "texture lod bias" option, putting this to the bottom seemed to make the textures sharper ? Also a FOV option although im not certain if that was there before.

Seems a patch has been released, can now enable flashlight shadows, also noticed a "texture lod bias" option, putting this to the bottom seemed to make the textures sharper ? Also a FOV option although im not certain if that was there before.

Yep, just saw the update on Steam, good thing I am playing this at the moment. Really loving it, gunplay is awesome.

Top Bottom