• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom announced (id/Bethesda, PC/PS4/XB1, idtech6, 1080p/60fps, gore), first details

biteren

i flipped the fuck out when i heard the impressions, this could be very well the best gaming news i'll hear this generation of games!! runner up would be a PS4 Platinum Games exclusive title.

DOOM is my favorite game of all time.

WIth Z axis mouse movement it becomes easier, but with actual 1995 era mouse look,. the game is still pretty challenging (that is only left and right panning).

mouselook doesnt really effect Doom as it has vertical autoaim anyways. Brutaldoom changes things and you can even ADS :D

I've been playing it on the GCW Zero and its mostly like playing it with the arrowkeys classic style.

1367858330244.png

Ixion

I'm just happy that they're embracing exploration and gunplay. The carnage is just the cherry on top.

Exploration is still a question mark, if not the biggest question mark right now.

We know the demo was played in a rather linear fashion, but we also know there were some very open sections, and I've also heard that the levels looked like they could be explored further.

iD only focused on the combat for their demo. That's all they wanted to emphasize (since Pete Hines said that's the first thing they needed to get right). So they didn't discuss the level design at all. We'll see what they say later on.

Skab

Yeah I wouldn't try to get any idea of what level design is going to be like based on that demo. It was very likely thrown together for the demo itself.

Novocaine

What's with the "origin story" nonsense. Doom doesn't need an origin story, you are blasting the fuck out of demons with lots of different guns.

I hate full on reboots :(

What's with the "origin story" nonsense. Doom doesn't need an origin story, you are blasting the fuck out of demons with lots of different guns.

I hate full on reboots :(
Well... You said it yourself, it doesn't need an origin story. Nor does it need more development beyond the original plot concept; demons in space, which is basically what this is.

Guile

Banned
Sorry for bumping but has there been any new info regarding the Doom beta? It's pretty ridiculous how we still haven't had any news yet, I mean its been nearly a year since Wolfenstein launched.

DieH@rd

Banned
ARGH, THIS BUMP HURTS.

No there is no new news. The last we heard Doom4 was showcased on last Quakecon so that developers could get the early "public" feedback because they had troubles finding the right direction for the game. They got positive reaction for sticking with the maximum fast action, maximum ultra gore approach.

Game is far from being done, with any luck they will show something in 2015, but I expect beta to land in 2016.

Sorry for bumping but has there been any new info regarding the Doom beta? It's pretty ridiculous how we still haven't had any news yet, I mean its been nearly a year since Wolfenstein launched.

Heh.

We didn't even have a few screenshots or a gameplay video, so forget about the beta for now...
Maybe in E3 they will say something.

The fact they offered the beta with Wolfenstein didn't mean the beta was coming soon. That's just a marketing trick.

Guile: Former Human
Just a few months ago, you were probably swapping rumors about Doom. Now it's time to swap some lead upside this junior's head. They are the weakest of all GAFers after all.

Mr Swine

Banned
UGH!

why bump this thread if there is no new info? If there had been any new info on Doom this thread would be alive and kicking :/

SparkTR

Seeing this threads reminds me how silly it was to bundle the Doom beta with Wolfenstien, shows how little faith they had in that game selling.

Spoo

Seeing this threads reminds me how silly it was to bundle the Doom beta with Wolfenstien, shows how little faith they had in that game selling.

This.

But moreover, I'd much rather have buyers rewarded with, you know, even *seeing* the game, rather then a promise for a beta that probably isn't coming out for another 8-12 months.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

What the fuck.

You just started my day off on a bad note.

Goddammit. I got so excited when I saw this thread on the first page.

Anyway, I'm sure we'll see the game this year at E3 and Quakecon. Although I wouldn't mind something sooner than that.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Bruhhhh... ._.

Metal-Geo

Maybe this E3... Or never, whatever.

It's been 8 months since the release of Wolfenstein: The New Order. Which they somehow had to desperately advertise with an alleged DOOM beta. I sincerely doubt Bethesda planned that strategy well ahead and thoroughly. Hell, it wouldn't be much of a surprise if id Software heard about the idea a day or so before the release of that first trailer.

The only thing I'm really curious about is this id Tech 666, which is being developed with the help of Tiago Sousa. Former graphics engineer at CryTEK.

LDAF

While the bumper started my day on a bad note too, he DID have good intentions, but next time, a google search or a search on GAF should do the trick. ;)

GoaThief

What a tease, wonder what is going on with this game. I expected the preview they did at Quakecon to be made public by now.

Disappointing.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

I have to confess I was wondering the same thing.

Springy

Guys, there's nothing wrong with bumping a thread. Your own messy fault if you jizz your pants just at the sight of it on the first page.

That said, I already traded in my copy of The New Order and entirely forgot that it allegedly came with beta access. Ho hum.

That will never be public.
Not in whatever form they showed the content at QuakeCon, but who's to say how they'll reveal things like Brutal Doom-like gore and jetpack Revenants online?

I honestly forgot you get access to the New Doom beta with a W:TNO pre-order. The game's been standing on its own without people mentioning that aspect.

Top Bottom